Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

99-1: Did That Mysterious Football Match Between Nigeria And India Ever Happen? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 99-1: Did That Mysterious Football Match Between Nigeria And India Ever Happen? (306 Views)

My 4-Year-Old Daughter Keeps Telling Mysterious Stories About Her Past Life / Did This Ever Happen To You As A Kid? / Mysterious Drops Of Blood In The House..help? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

99-1: Did That Mysterious Football Match Between Nigeria And India Ever Happen? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 21, 2023
If that illusion of the Indian national team defeating Nigeria's Super Eagles by 99-1 is false, then I must adore whoever came up with that story. I must respect that demon that fabricated that well-decorated fable, which is by far the most successful lie in human existence.

Like what kind of demonic level of creativity sprung into one's mind to deliver a story that millions believed, millions still believe, and billions will still believe?

I'm very sure if that fellow was still alive, Buhari would have preferred him or her for "Minister of Information", instead of Lai Mohammed, an upcomer.

Funny enough, this Guinness record-deserving lie has been modified, translated, and revised in diverse versions.

Fortunately, I have heard two versions. The first is the version I was told during my childhood. According to that one, the Nigerian players in that match were weakened with charms by their Indian counterparts, which made them stand erect like mangrove trees and were unable to tackle their opponents.

With that, Indian players had a field day and scored as many goals as their souls desired (99 goals, approximately a goal per minute). In this first account version, it was said that the one goal the Super Eagles were able to score was because of a supernatural effort by Late Samuel Okparaji, who couldn't bear the shame of conceding 99 goals without a response. But unfortunately, he slumped and died after he scored that goal.

In the second story version, I was told that Nigeria's goal was even an own goal by an Indian Defender, Shakir Usmad, who intentionally gutted the goal into his team's net out of pity for the already destabilized, completely destroyed, and finished Super Eagle team.

However, his teammates were so furious with him after the match that they had to behead him six days later in an Indian market.

Which other version did you hear? Tell me, please. Maybe yours is more unbelievable.
Re: 99-1: Did That Mysterious Football Match Between Nigeria And India Ever Happen? by azadus18: 8:17pm On Jun 21, 2023
Fables.
Re: 99-1: Did That Mysterious Football Match Between Nigeria And India Ever Happen? by Honeybadgerxx: 8:52pm On Jun 21, 2023
An hoax
Re: 99-1: Did That Mysterious Football Match Between Nigeria And India Ever Happen? by yarimo(m): 9:13pm On Jun 21, 2023
That when ever ball is coming towards our goalkeeper, the ball turn to lion and the goalkeeper always ran away

2 Likes

Re: 99-1: Did That Mysterious Football Match Between Nigeria And India Ever Happen? by RoyalBlu(f): 10:11pm On Jun 21, 2023
Chai.

Can still remember how enthralled I was when I was told this story as a child.

Only to grow up and realized it was all 'fabu'

2 Likes

Re: 99-1: Did That Mysterious Football Match Between Nigeria And India Ever Happen? by Day169: 12:22am On Jun 22, 2023
RoyalBlu:
Chai.

Can still remember how enthralled I was when I was told this story as a child.

Only to grow up and realized it was all 'fabu'
All of these years, I've been seeing the expression, "the young shall grow". Well we all must have grown up by now, and btw, i haven't that word, 'fabu' in yonks. grin
Re: 99-1: Did That Mysterious Football Match Between Nigeria And India Ever Happen? by JeffreyJunior: 1:57am On Jun 22, 2023
I remember playing soccer on a saturday alongside a friend who migrated from India.

I told him about the legend in naija that his home country beat us 99 against 1 one time during the world cup. He was surprised to hear that and afterwards, we laughed at the joke.

When the game ended, I said to him "is this nonsense you played today how your country beat us 99 against 1?" grin
Re: 99-1: Did That Mysterious Football Match Between Nigeria And India Ever Happen? by RoyalBlu(f): 1:19pm On Jun 22, 2023
Day169:

All of these years, I've been seeing the expression, "the young shall grow". Well we all must have grown up by now, and btw, i haven't that word, 'fabu' in yonks. grin

Like seriously... They didn't explain adulthood very well.

Fabu just popped up in my head. Based on warri connect.

'Yonks'... Nice one.

(1) (Reply)

Funny Moments; Working With My Wife (behind The Scene) / Should I Continue To Celebrate The Day I Was Born? / Sweet Mother In Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.