Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,114 members, 7,845,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate (839 Views)

19-Year-Old Virgin Graduates From Taraba State University As She Celebrates (Pix / Taraba State University Lecturer Weds His Former Student (Photos) / Taraba State University ASUU Resumes Indefinite Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by Eduglog1: 7:50am On Jun 22, 2023
Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate

Dennis Delilah, a 33-year-old graduate says that she picked up a street sweeping job to help assist her parents in training her siblings.

Ms. Dennis said she is proud of her street cleaning job that pays N20,000 monthly than staying at home to see her siblings “suffering,” without her assisting them.

Dennis who is the firstborn in a family of six is among the hundreds of sweepers, recently recruited by the Taraba state government to keep Jalingo the state capital clean.

The scope of work of the street sweepers, whom Governor Agbu Kefas employed, includes the sweeping of pedestrian bridges, collection of bagged litter and silts, and other materials that deface the streets and highways.

Ms. Dennis, a 2018 graduate of business administration from Taraba state university Jalingo, told Universal Reporters her experiences since graduation.

“The quest to assist my family because my parents could not adequately take care of our needs and want to make me do all sorts of work.

“I graduated from Taraba state university in 2018, I read business administration, and after my service in 2019, I worked with a property agent from 2020-2021, from there I worked briefly with the Airtel office here in Jalingo as a casual staff.

She disclosed that apart from the sweeping job, she recently got. She is also working as a sales lady in a wine shop.

“I realised I was not making enough money from my sales girl work to take care of my younger ones, so I proceeded to take the cleaning job.

“It was while I was in the wine shop that I got a call that there will be massive employment of street sweepers, I told one of my uncles that we are in the same church with, that I am interested but he said he can’t allow me to do such a job because I am a graduate but I pleaded with him, he then asked me to come the next day, that’s how I started the job.”

“Some of my friends were not happy that I decided to take up this kind of job. But I told them since they cannot meet my needs, and are unable to get me a better job, I have to do this I have no option than to combine the two works.”

She said all her parents are still alive but her Dad’s salary as local government staff, is very meager as such she is left with no option but to assist him in catering for her younger ones.

“There is joy in enjoying what you worked for. My father is a local government staff due to hardship and meager salary my siblings hardly go to school, I have three siblings that are in School. Two are in higher institutions while one is still in secondary school, is God that is helping us.

“I decided to pick up the job in other to assist them, my younger brother just got admission and he needed me to assist him with some items and foodstuffs, my salary at the wine shop is just fifteen thousand naira, as such I could not afford to assist him it was based on that that I decided to go for this work.

“I come to work as early as 4:30 am then closed by 6:30 am after sweeping my own portion, I then go home, do some house chores, take my bath, then by 8:30 I go to the wine shop and closed by 5pm.

“I have to make this sacrifice and deny myself all luxuries because this is the only employment I have and I have responsibilities to meet, like to take care of my family.”

“Even though I am not happy finding myself doing these jobs but my joy is that I am doing something that is legitimate and I prefer it than going out selling my body to sustain myself. There is dignity in labour.”

2 Likes

Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by OloYeOfEgbE: 7:52am On Jun 22, 2023
That is your Northern business

TuEH
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by Ireportlive: 7:57am On Jun 22, 2023
Atleast she isn't an Olosho, God bless her hustle

5 Likes

Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by Eduglog1: 7:57am On Jun 22, 2023
OloYeOfEgbE:

TuEH
How is it a Northern thing? Are all the graduate in the south having good job?
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by christejames(m): 8:04am On Jun 22, 2023
Nigeria as a country loves making mockery of the intelligents 😔

Well, good luck to her and I pray she finds a better job, if she doesn't want to work for herself; self-employed.
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by chatinent: 8:10am On Jun 22, 2023
There's no future in Nigeria.
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by Natural2Heal: 8:19am On Jun 22, 2023
Sometimes, University education without a good job is not worth it. It's a waste of investment.

Secondly, not every graduates come from a rich family or have access to good capital to start a business after NYSC.
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by kernniejay(m): 8:25am On Jun 22, 2023
Imagine a graduate taking a job that requires no educational qualification! Gone are the days when, before you leave school as a graduate or finish your NYSC, companies have already lined up competing to absorb you with juicy offers that come with official car and staff quarters especially if you are a first class graduate. Nigeria has lost its glory.
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by Wizlead: 8:26am On Jun 22, 2023
She even used "connection" to get the sweeping job. What a country called Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by kestolove95(m): 8:38am On Jun 22, 2023
Dix one no get option, she no fine and she say she no go make am for hookup hustle....
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by LikeAking: 11:21am On Jun 22, 2023
Nawa o.

The educational system need need to be modified in Nigeria..

One thing Nigerians graduates lack is guts, ambition and some time social skills.

She is not sociable, if not she won't be sweeping...

I always when people say focus on your degree first..

Focus on socialization first you no go suffer..

Many ways dey wey people they use make am for Naija, when you go outside you go Sabi am.

Somebody should help this lady.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by clockwisereport: 12:36pm On Jun 22, 2023
OloYeOfEgbE:

TuEH

Road sweepers employed by Enugu state government are all graduates. If you are not a graduate, nothing for you

1 Like

Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by nwetadinobi042(m): 1:50pm On Jun 22, 2023
I am still need that job, remembering back in the days when I was applying but no avail.
clockwisereport:

Road sweepers employed by Enugu state government are all graduates. If you are not a graduate, nothing for you
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by Natbrowny: 2:29pm On Jun 22, 2023
chatinent:
There's no future in Nigeria.

LOUD THIS SHIT.
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by Karlifate: 2:52pm On Jun 22, 2023
From the report, the lady is quite industrious.

She's been moving from forward career-wise, instead of idling away her time.

This "sweeping" job only gained momentum, because she's a graduate.
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by Evergreen4(m): 4:28pm On Jun 22, 2023
13 years since I left university yet no job. I've given up. I pray she finds a helper that will uplift her. It's not easy
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by eteebanky1: 7:58pm On Jun 22, 2023
kernniejay:
Imagine a graduate taking a job that requires no educational qualification! Gone are the days when, before you leave school as a graduate or finish your NYSC, companies have already lined up competing to absorb you with juicy offers that come with official car and staff quarters especially if you are a first class graduate. Nigeria has lost its glory.

Gone are the days

People graduating from universities across the nation has surge over the years, hence the competition for jobs among graduates

And also blame our ever increasing population

1 Like

Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by eteebanky1: 8:00pm On Jun 22, 2023
Once you're 35 years old graduate in this country, just give up and forget anything concerning white collar job
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by kernniejay(m): 8:06pm On Jun 22, 2023
eteebanky1:

Gone are the days

People graduating from universities across the nation has surge over the years, hence the competition for jobs among graduates

And also blame our ever increasing population
You are right.
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by kernniejay(m): 8:09pm On Jun 22, 2023
Evergreen4:
13 years since I left university yet no job. I've given up. I pray she finds a helper that will uplift her. It's not easy
Wow, 13 years after graduation, no job? How have you been coping?
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by kernniejay(m): 8:12pm On Jun 22, 2023
eteebanky1:
Once you're 35 years old graduate in this country, just give up and forget anything concerning white collar job
Because the few available white collar job will be asking for "not more than 26 years old with 5 years experience". This is bad.
Re: Why I Became A Street Sweeper - Taraba State University Graduate by Evergreen4(m): 9:55pm On Jun 22, 2023
kernniejay:

Wow, 13 years after graduation, no job? How have you been coping?
It's not been easy bro. But I thank God for the gift of life. I've told my self I'm never gonna involve myself in Internet fraud and I'm never gonna do it even though the thoughts and temptations are there

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Gotv Jinja Channels List And Price 2024 / Scholarship Awards / Mba In Uk For Just About A Million Naira From Accredited British University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.