Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,920 members, 7,814,100 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship (1306 Views)

Enact Law That Will Force Civil Servant To Marry More Wives - Sheikh Aminu Baba / Buhari’s title: No law states how a President should be addressed - NBA / Buhari Expresses Sadness As APC Loses 50 Elective Seats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by wwwihy: 4:51pm On Jun 23, 2023
There is no Nigerian law that bars an elective officeholder from having dual citizenship. The issue of DUAL Citizenship was settled in Bukola Saraki’s case and the court judgement is very clear. So, anyone pursuing dual citizenship in court is just entertaining us
@OladeleKapital
2: Court of Appeal in Port Harcourt also dismissed a case involving Tonye Cole as per DUAL CITIZENSHIP. Una go buy NWLR oooo

https://twitter.com/woye1/status/1672269443185909760

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by helinues: 4:54pm On Jun 23, 2023
Toh

Another terrible weekend for the headless mob

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by TinubuDcrook: 4:56pm On Jun 23, 2023
Another gaslighting razor blade face on the loose

1 Like

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Ebubu7: 5:01pm On Jun 23, 2023
??

5 Likes

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by richidinho(m): 5:02pm On Jun 23, 2023
But there is a space on the INEC form that asked whether one has a dual citizenship

What was his response?
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by seanfer(m): 5:04pm On Jun 23, 2023
Saraki's case is different, He didn't acquire his dual citizenship by choice but by Birth... so using that as example is a different thing entirely.

2 Likes

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by OloyeVIII: 5:07pm On Jun 23, 2023
Another load of rubbish from blind folks.
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Throwback: 5:08pm On Jun 23, 2023
TinubuDcrook:
Another gaslighting razor blade face on the loose

Is he right or are the cases referenced fictional?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Validated: 5:17pm On Jun 23, 2023
I am not a lawyer ooo! However, I think Hamzat is a GONER. Saraki did not acquire his British Citizenship, but Hamzat renounced hi Nigerian Citizenship.

See oath for US citizenship:

Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America

Oath

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

4 Likes

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by tinsel: 5:19pm On Jun 23, 2023
seanfer:
Saraki's case is different, He didn't acquire his dual citizenship by choice but by Birth... so using that as example is a different thing entirely.
What of Obiano, orji Kalu, Chimaraoke etc? They were all born there?

1 Like

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by tinsel: 5:20pm On Jun 23, 2023
Validated:
I am not a lawyer ooo! However, I think Hamzat is a GONER. Saraki did not acquire his British Citizenship, but Hamzat renounced hi Nigerian Citizenship.

See oath for US citizenship:

Oath

"I hereby declare, on oath, [b]that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; [/b]that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."
You don't renounce your citizen when you acquire a US citizen. You only pledge allegiance to the US.
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Validated: 5:23pm On Jun 23, 2023
tinsel:

If you did not challenge it in court, your loss. If Diri did not challenge the deputy to APC deputy governorship, he would not be governor.
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Validated: 5:23pm On Jun 23, 2023
tinsel:

You don't renounce your citizen when you acquire a US citizen. You only pledge allegiance to the US.

Did you read what you quoted?

5 Likes

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by tinsel: 5:26pm On Jun 23, 2023
Validated:

Did you read what you quoted?
Read what?
US citizen has no problem with dual citizenship
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by TinubuDcrook: 5:28pm On Jun 23, 2023
Throwback:

Is he right or are the cases referenced fictional?

Another unintelligent razor blade face trying i prove a point

1 Like

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Validated: 5:30pm On Jun 23, 2023
tinsel:

Read what?
US citizen has no problem with dual citizenship

READ THIS, but this time SLOWLY!!!

Oath

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen
; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learn-about-citizenship/the-naturalization-interview-and-test/naturalization-oath-of-allegiance-to-the-united-states-of-america

3 Likes

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by seanfer(m): 5:32pm On Jun 23, 2023
tinsel:

I was only talking about the Saraki's example..
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Shokoloko(f): 5:36pm On Jun 23, 2023
Validated:

Oath

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen
; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learn-about-citizenship/the-naturalization-interview-and-test/naturalization-oath-of-allegiance-to-the-united-states-of-america
I am concerned that Tinsel needed you to quote for the second time a writeup that he had already quoted.
And to think that both times you quoted the pledge you had made a portion of it bold.
In what world do people not read what they are quoting and responding to
It's am worried for Nigerian youths
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by tinsel: 5:37pm On Jun 23, 2023
Validated:

Oath

My friend we all carry two passports, Nigeria and the USA even before those USA immigration.
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by tinsel: 5:42pm On Jun 23, 2023
Shokoloko:

I am concerned that Tinsel needed you to quote for the second time a writeup that he had already quoted.
And to think that both times you quoted the pledge you had made a portion of it bold.
In what world do people not read what they are quoting and responding to
It's am worried for Nigerian youths
Yes, the United States allows dual citizenship. If you are a naturalized citizen, you don’t have to give up citizenship from your country of origin. U.S. immigration law does not prohibit dual nationality. The U.S. Supreme Court also ruled that people can “have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries.”
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by PointZerom: 5:44pm On Jun 23, 2023
Muh247:
cool

Loser Party looking for easy shortcut after their phantom loss

These morons have turned politics to joke

Jubril El Sudan

Amuda Yekini Aguileri from Iragbiji

Bola Mpeza from Guinea

180 days spent on frivolity

Nobody is happy after a successful robbery incident.... ONLY THE ROBBERS.

3 Likes

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Shokoloko(f): 5:49pm On Jun 23, 2023
tinsel:

Yes, the United States allows dual citizenship. If you are a naturalized citizen, you don’t have to give up citizenship from your country of origin. U.S. immigration law does not prohibit dual nationality. The U.S. Supreme Court also ruled that people can “have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries.”
I googled this on uscis.gov/citizenship. It is clearly written on that US government website that the Naturalization Oath requires you to RENOUNCE and ABJURE ALL allegiance to your former country.
The proof you should be providing is a link, article that shoes that people who naturalized and swore this Oath (not those who had dual citizenship at birth and never needed to take the oath) can exercise rights of nationality in two countries.
Please note that acquisition of citizenship does not require taking an Oath of Allegiance.
Naturalization requires taking an Oath.
I'd like to see your links if any. I do not have monopoly of knowledge.

3 Likes

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by tinsel: 5:52pm On Jun 23, 2023
Shokoloko:

I googled this on uscis.gov/citizenship. It is clearly written on that US government website that the Naturalization Oath requires you to RENOUNCE and ABJURE ALL allegiance to your former country.
The proof you should be providing is a link, article that shoes that people who naturalized and swore this Oath (not those who had dual citizenship at birth and never needed to take the oath) can exercise rights of nationality in two countries.
I'd like to see your links if any. I do not have monopoly of knowledge.
I am one. I have both a USA passport and Nigeria passport. And we move freely through both countries immigration with both of the passport. Any other proof you need? And I got mine through naturalization.

1 Like

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 23, 2023
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by b3llo(m): 5:58pm On Jun 23, 2023
Those people from the dot won't like this.
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Shokoloko(f): 6:03pm On Jun 23, 2023
tinsel:

I am one. I have both a USA passport and Nigeria passport. And we move freely through both countries immigration with both of the passport. Any other proof you need? And I got mine through naturalization.
It happens. Any black- looking person can get a Nigerian passport.
I need proof that it is lawful.
I need proof that renouncing allegiance to a country and going back to take a political position in that same country is lawful.
Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Christistruth03: 6:06pm On Jun 23, 2023
helinues:
Toh

Another terrible weekend for the headless mob

Not only that O !!

The President of Nigeria must also approve your renounced Citizenship application form

You cannot renounce your Nigerian Citizenship until Mr President says so !!!!

And signs it !!!

Let me give it to you Straight

Hamzat never renounced his Citizenship
and even if he did ( Which he didn't ) President Tinubu of Nigeria under the constitution of Nigeria has the right and full authority to restore it as if it never happened !!!;
The Mob needs to find out why there Ancestors were unable to build any Town of note and influence before British Colonisation even Onitsha was built by Benin

If you insist on destroying your opponent who will pay you Tribute or supply you with men and materials to enhance your Power

You don't destroy opponents just because you desire to rule over their ashes because it won't take long before you start destroying your own People like Ipob and Simon Ekpa are doing as we speak and it will leave you too weak to face real external aggressors

Re: There Is No Law That Bars An Elective Officeholder From Having Dual Citizenship by Ohislee(m): 6:16pm On Jun 23, 2023
Muh247:

That's why you are in court to provide evidence anything was taken from you

Where exactly did your vote get robbed

Voter suppression, use of thugs, criminality, rascality as a means of winning elections in Nigeria needs to be agreed upon in court. Maybe by next election we would know whether this country would still be standing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Electrical Power In Nigeria : The Emperor Changes Clothes Again / , / Farida Waziri's Corrupt Deals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.