Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,432 members, 7,815,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money (3690 Views)

Folorunsho Alakija: Nigeria’s Richest Woman [photos] / Nigerians Are Making Money On Google Trader. Don't Miss Out / Nigeria’s Richest Pastor Oyedepo Puts Private Jets Up For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by mrinfo(m): 4:45pm On Oct 03, 2011
To many Nigerians today, it is very difficult to convince them that running churches is not a vastly profitable venture. They see everyday pastors moving from a live of average financial status to stupendous wealth in a matter of months.

We have profiled what is believed in many quarters and according to Forbes Magazine as the top 5 richest pastors and preachers in Nigeria. Several of them clearly show aptitude and business sense in consolidating and expanding their wealth base through private businesses in various niches.

Here are the self proclaimed men of God in Nigeria who earn biggest and are worth a King’s ransom. The richest pastors in Nigeria and their ways of racking up the cash;

http://nairabrains.com/2011/10/nigerias-five-richest-pastors-and-how-they-made-their-wealth/
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by mrinfo(m): 5:33pm On Oct 03, 2011
I really wonder what Oyedepo does with two private jets
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by stagger: 5:46pm On Oct 03, 2011
mrinfo:

I really wonder what Oyedepo does with two private jets

And have you ever asked yourself why senators are collecting N15million as allowances every month and their counterparts in the HOP N12million?

Bankole who was accused of taking a N10bn loan to pay himself and other lawmakers allowances is walking around Nigeria free on bail, and even nursing ambitions of a comeback to politics. Watch out how his case will die a natural death like others before it.

Stop this stupid campaigns of calumny against men of God and face your own business. If you are asked to come out to demonstrate against social injustice in our country, you will not talk.

Have you gone to Abuja to see where the ex-militant leaders are living? What legitimate source of income is paying for all those?

You are there running your mouth off over Oyedepo instead of paying attention to more pressing matters. Nonsense! angry angry angry
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by mrinfo(m): 7:23pm On Oct 03, 2011
@stagger, no be fight. Which Senator sees the kind of money Oyedepo makes from commercial religion?
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by RickyRoss1(m): 10:04pm On Oct 03, 2011
I am not against a man of God being rich, I am just against the way they just tell us series of LIES just to get alot of money from us, and yet they dont care about the poor members of their congregation.

I used to worship with one of these so called mega churches before, but when i needed help they were not there for me. Back then I so much wanted to personally speak with my pastor but I was too small to have his phone number, only presidents, governors, rich politicians etc are allowed to have access to him because he is a God. Anyways i quit and found myself a small church in Port Harcourt where i worship when am in the country, when i travel i worship anywhere, sometimes in Catholic church etc depending on where I am and what is closest to me.

Right now my pastor is my family friend, I call him anytime i need to speak with him, he prays for me and my family, he simply cares abut me and this is exactly what i wanted from my former church/pastor. I want my pastor to be my best friend and confidant. As a pastor you are not only supposed to collect my tithe and tell me God said this and that when in real sense most of these people dont hear from God, they just use peoples mentality,

The only Great man of God I seem to admire soo much is TB Joshua even though I dont worship there. Most times I watch their Sunday broadcast live on TV. The other so called SAINT men of God in Nigeria talk rubbish about TV Joshua, He is actually the one doing what others cannot do. TB Joshua is feeding and clothing hundreds of widows/widowers. His scholarship program and football academy is open to everyone, both Muslims and Christians. He helps poor members of the public more than any other pastor in Nigeria. The other men of God claim TB Joshua is using Satans power, my brothers how do we know whose powers is real and fake when all of these pastors uses Gods name to perform miracles

For the records Christ embassy members are more than half a million. The 40,000 this site mentioned is it just the members in one single branch in Lagos or Christ embassy members in all over the world? What is a pastor doing with 4 private jets when millions of their church members are poor and needy? Also, how come after paying tithes these church universities are among the most expensive in Nigeria? How come these mega churches are not building free schools and hospitals all over the Nigeria
In my opinion these listed pastors are like 70 times richer than we think/assume, just imagine how many millions of dollars a church like winners or Redeem generate every single day from offering, tithes, books etc. Like is said before, there is nothing wrong in a pastor being rich, but they MUST help poor members of the public, There is this report that pastor Chris has 40 brand new jeeps or so, what is a man of God doing with all these cars? Is he a car dealer? Why cant he give some of these cars out? I dont know which pastor is good or bad, and am not gonna judge anyone. But my happiness is that God is coming soon to end these evil way of things.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 04, 2011
^^
you are very correct, presently TB joshua is the person that really gets to me based no his scholarship program and help to widows. He actually gives them money with which they can live well and start a viable business. I believe pastors who speak against him are jealous and afraid. Should that man decide to release his wise men to setup branches, churches in that state are bound to feel the decline in attendance.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by stagger: 11:05am On Oct 04, 2011
blink182:

^^
you are very correct, presently TB joshua is the person that really gets to me based no his scholarship program and help to widows. He actually gives them money with which they can live well and start a viable business. I believe pastors who speak against him are jealous and afraid. Should that man decide to release his wise men to setup branches, churches in that state are bound to feel the decline in attendance.

Tb Joshua is only known because he televises his charity work. That other churches do not plaster their giving on TV does not mean they do not do it. Presently, my own branch of Winners is sponsoring a day care, primary and secondary school. And the money comes from tithes and also contributions from church members to cater for orphans and the needy. Everything is provided for: uniforms, books, facilities, teachers' salaries, etc. The children who attend do not pay a dime. My own money has gone in there and I know what it is used for.

That is why I get incensed beyond limits when people on the outside who don't know jack about what goes on in the ministry only zero down to talk about private jets. Bishop oyedepo has given out several cars to church members and held auctions to sell off more at highly reduced costs. This I know for a fact. The Winners Church is HEAVILY involved in charity work. When I mean heavily, I mean HEAVILY.

This is also why I have always quarreled with those who criticise the catholic church. I am not catholic, but I know that the catholic church is heavily involved in charity work even though they do not broadcast it. besides, who are we to judge? Is it not left for God whom we all worship to judge on the last day who his true worshippers are

I really don't know why people decide to become myopic when it concerns church.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by RickyRoss1(m): 11:29am On Oct 04, 2011
stagger:

Tb Joshua is only known because he televises his charity work. That other churches do not plaster their giving on TV does not mean they do not do it. Presently, my own branch of Winners is sponsoring a day care, primary and secondary school. And the money comes from tithes and also contributions from church members to cater for orphans and the needy. Everything is provided for: uniforms, books, facilities, teachers' salaries, etc. The children who attend do not pay a dime. My own money has gone in there and I know what it is used for.

That is why I get incensed beyond limits when people on the outside who don't know jack about what goes on in the ministry only zero down to talk about private jets. Bishop oyedepo has given out several cars to church members and held auctions to sell off more at highly reduced costs. This I know for a fact. The Winners Church is HEAVILY involved in charity work. When I mean heavily, I mean HEAVILY.

This is also why I have always quarreled with those who criticise the catholic church. I am not catholic, but I know that the catholic church is heavily involved in charity work even though they do not broadcast it. besides, who are we to judge? Is it not left for God whom we all worship to judge on the last day who his true worshippers are

I really don't know why people decide to become myopic when it concerns church.

Sentiments apart, TB Joshua helps much more people, orphans, widows, street children etc than any other Nigerian pastor. Also, giving a lot of money to poor people doesn't make any pastor good or bad, but let the truth be told.

Winners, Redeemed, Christ Embassy etc should really borrow a leaf from TB Joshua. Let me ask you again, what is a man of God doing with 4 private jets when many members of their church are in financial crisis? How come these church universities are extremely expensive? Why didn't they make these universities free of charge to members of their congregation after all they are men of God they dont need too much money?

Truth is, church is BIG business here in BLACK AFRICA. If we stop paying tithes and offerings most of our pastors will look for another job. These pastors are worth billions of dollars in my own opinion, so they are supposed to be building schools across every Nigerian state free of charge, rather all their primary, secondary schools and universities are the most expensive even though we pay our tithes, I am not judging anyone I am only saying things the way they are.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by paulo1234: 4:00pm On Oct 04, 2011
Nothing to borrow from TB J. What does Bible says about charity. The underline principle is secrecy. A lot of these churches do far more than the one you see, but are not in the business of proclaiming on TV. Sucessful Churches and leaders are always noted for being rich, what about many that are still praying ? More so many of them pay the price of where they are. I AM A MIRACLE TO BE ALIVE TODAY IF NOT THAT GOD USE ONE OF THEM TO REACH ME. Why will I not be a blessing to their work ?. I will pay tithes, seed offerings, anything possible. Their riches does not stop me neither am I envious of their capacity. God bless them and me too.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by stagger: 4:28pm On Oct 04, 2011
We do not need to borrow jack from TB Joshua. I have a staff who is HIV positive. Whenever she tells me of the experience she was subjected to in the hands of TB Joshua when she went for healing, my blood just boils seeing the man on TV or even hearing his name.

All the other churches you mentioned have been in operation long before TB Joshua. Winners Chapel is 31 years old. Christ Embassy was already doing a lot of work in the early 90s before the TV broadcasts of the miracles now started attracting crowds to the church.

People are too myopic and talk what they do not know. Winners does not believe in using TV to showcase charity. Indeed when you showcase charity so you receive praises of men, you lose the essence of giving. It is clearly in the bible. Jesus said that your right hand should not know what your left hand is doing.

In that scripture, He clearly outlined the principles behind giving. It is possible for someone to give and that act will be rejected by God. Not all acts of giving are counted by God. It may move men to praise you to the highest heavens, but the intent of your heart is what God looks at.

Besides, the planes people keep talking of do not belong to Bishop Oyedepo but to the church. When a man is working for a company and is given an official car and house, does it mean they are his? When he leaves the company or retires or dies, doesn't the property stay with the original owners? Why people blind themselves to logic is unimaginable.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by IykeD(m): 7:35pm On Oct 04, 2011
stagger:

Besides, the planes people keep talking of do not belong to Bishop Oyedepo but to the church. When a man is working for a company and is given an official car and house, does it mean they are his? When he leaves the company or retires or dies, doesn't the property stay with the original owners? Why people blind themselves to logic is unimaginable.

I read all your points very well and how defensive you are of your church and your pastor but this one caught my attention. I do not like to talk about this kinda things nor discuss these so-called men of God as i think, judgement belongs to God and since they call themselves men of God and do what they do, let God fish out his men and damn others; but please spare us this line of though of yours, have you entered into any of those 4 private jets before since they belong to the church? So churches can now be compared to companies? Well, you even gave a good comparison cos it seems that's what they are these days. God is watching all of us unless there is no God!
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by stagger: 9:03am On Oct 05, 2011
I am defending my church because I am part and parcel of the programs we have there to touch humanity, especially our communities. Winners Chapel has thousands of branches nationwide, even in interior locations and we are helping to spread the gospel as well as attend to the immediate body needs of people such as food, clothing for widows and orphans, etc.

I have personally given out money and my best clothes and shoes many times for this cause. Why is it that people only talk about private jets when they refer to Winners?

Anyone who is not part of a church to know what is being done there HAS NO RIGHT TO COMMENT ON ANYTHING. It is not your money being used to sustain the charity activities so if your money is not where your mouth is, SHUT UP! angry

I have never entered the office or the official vehicle of my own boss where I work, so asking me whether I have ever entered the private jet which was purchased exclusively to aid the international travel of the Winners top pastors who have to attend speaking engagements in several continents in a week and still head back home to minister on Sunday and Wednesday is absolutely irrelevant. MUST I ENTER THE PRIVATE JET WHEN I HAVE NO BUSINESS DOING SO?
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by stagger: 9:06am On Oct 05, 2011
IykeD:

I read all your points very well and how defensive you are of your church and your pastor but this one caught my attention. I do not like to talk about this kinda things nor discuss these so-called men of God as i think, judgement belongs to God and since they call themselves men of God and do what they do, let God fish out his men and damn others; but please spare us this line of though of yours, have you entered into any of those 4 private jets before since they belong to the church? So churches can now be compared to companies? Well, you even gave a good comparison cos it seems that's what they are these days. God is watching all of us unless there is no God!

So seriously, you expect that the millions of Winners members in 53 countries where we have churches should all come down to Lagos and enter private jet just to prove to goons like you that it belongs to the church, as if we are jobless people who do not know what to do with our lives?

Where do people like you keep your brains when you are writing stuff like this?
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by IykeD(m): 11:00am On Oct 05, 2011
stagger:

So seriously, you expect that the millions of Winners members in 53 countries where we have churches should all come down to Lagos and enter private jet just to prove to goons like you that it belongs to the church, as if we are jobless people who do not know what to do with our lives?

Where do people like you keep your brains when you are writing stuff like this?

stagger:

I am defending my church because I am part and parcel of the programs we have there to touch humanity, especially our communities. Winners Chapel has thousands of branches nationwide, even in interior locations and we are helping to spread the gospel as well as attend to the immediate body needs of people such as food, clothing for widows and orphans, etc.

I have personally given out money and my best clothes and shoes many times for this cause. Why is it that people only talk about private jets when they refer to Winners?

Anyone who is not part of a church to know what is being done there HAS NO RIGHT TO COMMENT ON ANYTHING. It is not your money being used to sustain the charity activities so if your money is not where your mouth is, SHUT UP! angry

I have never entered the office or the official vehicle of my own boss where I work, so asking me whether I have ever entered the private jet which was purchased exclusively to aid the international travel of the Winners top pastors who have to attend speaking engagements in several continents in a week and still head back home to minister on Sunday and Wednesday is absolutely irrelevant. MUST I ENTER THE PRIVATE JET WHEN I HAVE NO BUSINESS DOING SO?

Churchman, i mean churchrat, so despite how holy you claim to be, you replied twice just to insult me, you lowlife? Read your comments from the 1st to the end and you see how stu.pid you are. First, you compared your so-called men of God to Legislators and Senators looting money, what does that mean? What a comparison! well you said it yourself, need i say more?

Secondly, someone brought up something about his own church and you rubbished it but you are so quick to attack anyone talking about your daddy and his penchant for extreme wealth and obulence.

You compared your "church" to companies and also claimed that the 4 private jets belong to the company church, then i asked you a simple question and here you go again displaying your stupidity and lack of coherency. Now you shoot yourself in the leg saying you have not entered the official car of your own boss, so what are you saying? Are you not saying exactly what i am saying that the four private jets are the exclusive property of your man of God? I thought you said it was for the company, i mean church?

So it's only your pastor that goes for meetings abroad? Please don't be this gullible!
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by Okijajuju1(m): 11:29am On Oct 05, 2011
@ Iyke

No disrespect, but I think you need to have your head examined for even bothering to trade words with someone who sees no problem with a Pastor/church owning 4 private jets, building a multi-billion dollar edifice and running the most expensive university in a country where most people still survive on less than 1 dollar a day, The likes of him are really not worth the effort. He already said the church was a company and has justified his "Daddies" wealth by saying Legislators steal so his pastor can afford to be heartless.

Charity he says!! I spit on your so-called charity. What has winners chapel done for any community in Nigeria that they dont stand to benefit from?! I have no love for T.B Joshua but after I saw a trailer (16 wheeler) load of food delivered to a leprous community, I came close to tears. The costs of 4 private jets can fund over 100,000 Nigerian kids to get a good education and be beneficial to the Nigerian economy. The cost of the Winners Chapel building that made the guiness book of records could have started a successful large scale business that could have employed well over 50,000 employees and thus put food on the tables of many Nigerians but no!! His blind followers see nothing wrong with this.

I know members of Winners Chapel who cant afford transport money to church on sunday let alone finance their kids tuition to the church owned University which they contributed towards.

Its a shame though,
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by IykeD(m): 11:32am On Oct 05, 2011
Okija_juju:

@ Iyke

No disrespect, but I think you need to have your head examined for even bothering to trade words with someone who sees no problem with a Pastor/church owning 4 private jets, building a multi-billion dollar edifice and running the most expensive university in a country where most people still survive on less than 1 dollar a day, The likes of him are really not worth the effort. He already said the church was a company and has justified his "Daddies" wealth by saying Legislators steal so his pastor can afford to be heartless.

Charity he says!! I spit on your so-called charity. What has winners chapel done for any community in Nigeria that they dont stand to benefit from?! I have no love for T.B Joshua but after I saw a trailer (16 wheeler) load of food delivered to a leprous community, I came close to tears. The costs of 4 private jets can fund over 100,000 Nigerian kids to get a good education and be beneficial to the Nigerian economy. The cost of the Winners Chapel building that made the guiness book of records could have started a successful large scale business that could have employed well over 50,000 employees and thus put food on the tables of many Nigerians but no!! His blind followers see nothing wrong with this.

I know members of Winners Chapel who cant afford transport money to church on sunday let alone finance their kids tuition to the church owned University which they contributed towards.

Its a shame though,

lol exactly bro, my bad. Don't mind that man! Sincerely, i never looked at it from your point of view, i shouldn't have even replied him and that's why i took off some of my latter comments so as not to appear equal with him. The guy has got a big problem really, i weep for people like him!
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by stagger: 12:37pm On Oct 05, 2011
IykeD:

lol exactly bro, my bad. Don't mind that man! Sincerely, i never looked at it from your point of view, i shouldn't have even replied him and that's why i took off some of my latter comments so as not to appear equal with him. The guy has got a big problem really, i weep for people like him!

Go and weep for yourself. Winners will still build and fund more community schools like we have done for 31 years and still running and we will still keep feeding orphans and widows like we do every single month, AND WE WILL NEVER GO BROADCASTING IT ON TV TO GAIN THE PRAISES OF MEN! NEVER! And we will keep spreading into every nation on planet spreading the news that GOD IS NOT AND CAN NEVER BE A POOR, BEGGARLY GOD!

If you do not like it, go and bury your head in sand. For too long I have stomached the nonsense that people dish out here and it is time to put a stop to it. I have been personally involved in outreaches for the past 17 years, even been to places in this country where the people have never even seen a bicycle and still wear leaves as clothing, even in the 21st century. I or the church I belong to do not need to carry cameras to go about filming as a PR stunt. We do what we do for God and let HIM be the judge, not you or the other Okija fellow.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by Okijajuju1(m): 1:09pm On Oct 05, 2011
Ala di nu di nu di, 

Mr. Stagger Sir,

It would be a waste to weep for your kind!! You are a lost soul, 

Closet charity!! Funding what schools for 31 years?! You can run your mouth off all you want, but the fact remains that your church is nothing but a business venture for Oyedepo and his cohorts to fleece the poor, gullible and down-trodden people of their hard earned money in exchange for fictitious devine blessings, healings and miracles that never come. Feeling them with false hope through fancy preachings and then making them buy his litrature which is nothing but a plagerized version of other such books by motivational preachers.

No matter how you scream, you can never justify 4 private jets. Not in Nigeria, not in Rwanda, not in Congo, not in Africa,  The president of the federation tried to buy a new plane and people screamed blue murder, yet a pastor buys 1,2,3,4 jets and his members keep mute for fear of "Touch not my annointed",  Well tell your pastor I said he is a heartless bastard who cares nothing about the kingdom of God but more about himself. Jesus was the son of a Carpenter, but he never fleeced his followers, but rather fed them as was documented in the account of the miracle of the 5 bread and 2 fishes tale. The Pope who is the head of the Catholic church worldwide whose church has participated in spreading the gospel to some of the most god-forsaken places in the world does not own a plane,  Yet his church (the catholic church) has spread the gospel through schools (which is evident in Nigeria as most of our fore-fathers attended missionary schools) and these schools offered the highest standards of education with white teachers and at an affordable price not building Convenant University, also through healthcare (through the likes of Mother Theresa of blessed memory and others) and by and large community development. How does the likes of winners spread the gospel?! Through crusades in villages where they end up taking offering and tithes and first fruit offerings and seed-faith offerings and all funny sorts of offerings from poor village dwellers. Abeg dont get me started o!! I know how that your company church operates,

Do you wanna justify riding in an 8-car convoy with sirens and musclated body-guards to protect him from the same people he fleeces every sunday - sunday!! How do you justify spending millions of dollars on a single church building when most of his congregation cant afford rent!! Please tell me what kind of charity you are talking about?! Now let me school you on what the bible means by charity, if you have 100 naira, and you spend 50kobo on charity and eat #99.50k, you are just a hypocrite, which is what Oyedepo is.

You've stomached what?! You want to put a stop to people berating and castigating your pastor (Oyedepo and the likes of him), let me give you a scripture from the bible, 

Matt 19:21
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

For it would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Young man, Do not be decieved, for where a mans heart is where his wealth is,  Your God may not be a poor God, but he definitely does not encourage this sort of extravagance. When your Jesus rode a Donkey, there where already horse-drawn carriages around.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by stagger: 5:32pm On Oct 05, 2011
Okija_juju:

Ala di nu di nu di,

Mr. Stagger Sir,

It would be a waste to weep for your kind!! You are a lost soul,

Closet charity!! Funding what schools for 31 years?! You can run your mouth off all you want, but the fact remains that your church is nothing but a business venture for Oyedepo and his cohorts to fleece the poor, gullible and down-trodden people of their hard earned money in exchange for fictitious devine blessings, healings and miracles that never come. Feeling them with false hope through fancy preachings and then making them buy his litrature which is nothing but a plagerized version of other such books by motivational preachers.

No matter how you scream, you can never justify 4 private jets. Not in Nigeria, not in Rwanda, not in Congo, not in Africa, The president of the federation tried to buy a new plane and people screamed blue murder, yet a pastor buys 1,2,3,4 jets and his members keep mute for fear of "Touch not my annointed", Well tell your pastor I said he is a heartless bastard who cares nothing about the kingdom of God but more about himself. Jesus was the son of a Carpenter, but he never fleeced his followers, but rather fed them as was documented in the account of the miracle of the 5 bread and 2 fishes tale. The Pope who is the head of the Catholic church worldwide whose church has participated in spreading the gospel to some of the most god-forsaken places in the world does not own a plane, Yet his church (the catholic church) has spread the gospel through schools (which is evident in Nigeria as most of our fore-fathers attended missionary schools) and these schools offered the highest standards of education with white teachers and at an affordable price not building Convenant University, also through healthcare (through the likes of Mother Theresa of blessed memory and others) and by and large community development. How does the likes of winners spread the gospel?! Through crusades in villages where they end up taking offering and tithes and first fruit offerings and seed-faith offerings and all funny sorts of offerings from poor village dwellers. Abeg dont get me started o!! I know how that your company church operates,

Do you wanna justify riding in an 8-car convoy with sirens and musclated body-guards to protect him from the same people he fleeces every sunday - sunday!! How do you justify spending millions of dollars on a single church building when most of his congregation cant afford rent!! Please tell me what kind of charity you are talking about?! Now let me school you on what the bible means by charity, if you have 100 naira, and you spend 50kobo on charity and eat #9.50k, you are just a hypocrite,

You've stomached what?! You want to put a stop to people berating and castigating your pastor (Oyedepo and the likes of him), let me give you a scripture from the bible,

For it would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Young man, Do not be decieved, for where a mans heart is where his wealth is, Your God may not be a poor God, but he definitely does not encourage this sort of extravagance. When your Jesus rode a Donkey, there where already horse-drawn carriages around.

Thank you for the first sentence. Truly madness has grades and yours seems to be the highest! How many of your Okija_Juju priests can afford to buy a fuselage, talkless of an aircraft?
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by Okijajuju1(m): 8:51am On Oct 06, 2011
Newspaper article ]
Nigeria’s Five Richest Pastors and how They Made Their Wealth
October 03, 2011   Paul   3 Comments
inShareTo many Nigerians today, it is very difficult to convince them that running churches is not a vastly profitable venture. They see everyday pastors moving from a live of average financial status to stupendous wealth in a matter of months.

We have profiled what is believed in many quarters and according to Forbes Magazine as the top 5 richest pastors and preachers in Nigeria. Several of them clearly show aptitude and business sense in consolidating and expanding their wealth base through private businesses in various niches.

Here are the self proclaimed men of God in Nigeria who earn biggest and are worth a King’s ransom. The richest pastors in Nigeria;

1. Bishop David Oyedepo:
Bishop Oyedepo is the head pastor and founder of Living Faith World Outreach Ministry (aka Winners Chapel). His estimated Net worth is $150 million.

Seen as Nigeria’s richest pastor he founded Winners Chapel in 1981 and has grown it to become one of Africa’s largest congregation. He holds 3 services every Sunday at the Faith Tabernacle touted to be Africa’s largest worship center.

He owns two private jets (some sources say four) and houses in London and the United States.

He owns Dominion Publishing House, a successful publishing company which publishes all his books. His books, incidentally, are all about prosperity and little or nothing more.

Some years ago he founded Covenant University, taking advantage of the government’s decision to encourage private individuals and organizations to own and run higher institutions of learning. Covenant University has become one of the elite private universities in the country. Just recently, in another round of licensing by the government, Pastor Oyedepo got himself another license to run another university.

Bishop Oyedepo also owns Faith Academy, a high school for the upper class.

2. Chris Oyakhilome:
Pastor Chris (as he is popularly called) is the founder and Head pastor of Believer’s Loveworld Ministries (aka Christ Embassy). His estimated net worth is $30 – $50 Million.

Christ Embassy is reportedly consisted of over 40,000 members many of whom are successful businessmen and hippy undergraduates.

Pastor Chris paints a picture of a pastor cum savvy business executive just as Oyedepo and has diversified interests in media, hotels, and real estate. His media empire includes LoveWorld TV network, thee first Christian TV network to broadcast from Nigeria to the rest of the world on a 24 hour basis. He also has interests in printing & publishing and owns an ultra modern printing company in Lagos.

Last year the charismatic and hair styling pastor was involved in a $35 million money laundering case. He was suspected of siphoning church funds but the matter died down and nothing more has been heard of it.

Pastor Chris, of the five richest pastors in our list, is the most media savvy and uses new networking media such as facebook and twitter to great effect.

3. Temitope Joshua:
Pastor T.B. Joshua (as he is known) is the head pastor at Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN). He is worth an estimated $10 – $15 Million.

Pastor Joshua is famous as Nigeria’s most philanthropic pastor and also the most controversial. He founded SCOAN in 1987 and unlike other pastors has never opened another branch of his church in Nigeria outside the original one in Lagos which is said to accommodate over 15,000 people.

Among the rich list of Nigerian pastors he is most popular for his healing powers and gets regular miracle seeking visitors from all parts of the country and beyond.

His church has only one branch in Nigeria but currently has branches in Ghana, the UK, South Africa and Greece.

He owns Emmanuel TV, a Christian TV network. Most of his wealth is believed to have come through donations and his relationships with the high and mighty in several parts of Africa. He is, for instance, close to Ghanaian President Atta Mills and has entertained several heads of state in Africa at his Synagogue Church.

4. Matthew Ashimolowo:
Pastor Ashimolowo heads the Kingsway International Christian Centre (KICC) and has a reported net worth of $6 – $10 Million.

In 1992, Foursquare Gospel Church, in Nigeria, sent Pastor Ashimolowo to open a satellite branch in London. But the Afro style pastor had his own ideas and set up his own church instead.

His church is reportedly the largest Pentecostal church in the united Kingdom. In 2009 the church made close to $10 million in profits and reported assets of $40 million. He is reported to earn $200,000 in annual salary. His real wealth comes from various business interests which includes a media company.

5. Pastor Chris Okotie:
Pastor Chris Okotie is the head of Household of God Church and has a networth of $3 – $10 Million.

Pastor Okotie first made name as a popular pop musician in the 80s. He later set up the Household of God Church, one of Nigeria’s most flamboyant church with over 5,000 members consisting of Nollywood movie actors/actresses, musicians, and society people.

He has run for the presidency in Nigeria three times and lost each time. He received criticisms from several quarters for insisting that God asked him to contest the elections. The last time in April 2011 he contested under the Fresh Party, a political party he founded.

Pastor Chris Okotie is an automobile collector and lover. He drives a Mercedes S600, Porsche, and several other cars.[/quote],

Now how does this article reflect the humility of Christ?

[quote author=stagger:

Thank you for the first sentence. Truly madness has grades and yours seems to be the highest! How many of your Okija_Juju priests can afford to buy a fuselage, talkless of an aircraft?

We are not in the business of robbing the poor to enrich ourselves, True servants of the gods are humble in nature as is reflected by the Pope, Eze Mmuo Okija and many other true servants around, The likes of your pastor deserve to be killed and thier bodies thrown into the evil forest,
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by stagger: 9:15am On Oct 06, 2011
Okija_juju:

Now how does this article reflect the humility of Christ?

We are not in the business of robbing the poor to enrich ourselves,  True servants of the gods are humble in nature as is reflected by the Pope, Eze Mmuo Okija and many other true servants around,  The likes of your pastor deserve to be killed and thier bodies thrown into the evil forest,

Why don't you make the first attempt and see if you will live to see the next day? You will know that Power pass power! And you can also get your Eze Mmuo Okija to make an attempt as well. What happened to that witch in Liberia who attempted to mess with the Bishop will happen to you all. Or perhaps, you have not heard of the death of more than 3,000 witches in the 70s in Benin that came for conference when one of the Bishop's spiritual fathers Benson Idahosa was still alive. I doubt that your Eze Mmuo will even listen to such a request from you; he will throw you out of his shrine because he knows the implication of such a request and will not go where even angels fear to tread.

People like you can be likened to the stubborn housefly that will follow a rotting corpse into the grave. I double dare you to make the attempt to kill the Bishop and throw him into the evil forest as you have boasted and we will see what will become of you!

You think you have the chicks; you will find out that we have the mother hen and we are not just a prosperity church. Sometimes people need a practical demo to learn some lessons! angry angry
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by Okijajuju1(m): 11:52am On Oct 06, 2011
stagger:

Why don't you make the first attempt and see if you will live to see the next day? You will know that Power pass power! And you can also get your Eze Mmuo Okija to make an attempt as well. What happened to that witch in Liberia who attempted to mess with the Bishop will happen to you all. Or perhaps, you have not heard of the death of more than 3,000 witches in the 70s in Benin that came for conference when one of the Bishop's spiritual fathers Benson Idahosa was still alive. I doubt that your Eze Mmuo will even listen to such a request from you; he will throw you out of his shrine because he knows the implication of such a request and will not go where even angels fear to tread.

People like you can be likened to the stubborn housefly that will follow a rotting corpse into the grave. I double dare you to make the attempt to kill the Bishop and throw him into the evil forest as you have boasted and we will see what will become of you!

You think you have the chicks; you will find out that we have the mother hen and we are not just a prosperity church. Sometimes people need a practical demo to learn some lessons! angry angry

TAAA!! Gbu pu ASUU na onu, before Amadi-oha strikes you with leprosy!!

Efulefu like you! Look at how quick you are to jump up and embrace the whitemans god who exploits your vulnurability and then you have the effortery to put down the gods of your ancestors,

So Benson Idahosa (May his soul R.I.P) comes out and tells you of how he killed 3000 witches and the okoko's like you jump and shout halleluyah and spread it like gospel, You have been watching too many Harry porter movies child, open your mind and emancipate yourself from the mental enslavement which the white man has used religion to rope you into,

If your pastor is so invincible, he should try walking around without all those bodyguards and sirens and see if he isnt kidnapped within a week, I would like to see your God send down the legions from heaven tha he didnt send to save Jesus from commom romans to rescue him, This is the real world child, bullets kill, humans dont fly with broomsticks and mats, and your Bishop is just a man who found religion and exploited it to become rich at the expense of poor suckers like you,

You have been warned, if you think your Oyedepo has powers, you do not want to know what Alusi Okija can do to you, You have been duly warned,
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by stagger: 8:12pm On Oct 06, 2011
Okija_juju:

TAAA!! Gbu pu ASUU na onu, before Amadi-oha strikes you with leprosy!!

Efulefu like you! Look at how quick you are to jump up and embrace the whitemans god who exploits your vulnurability and then you have the effortery to put down the gods of your ancestors,

So Benson Idahosa (May his soul R.I.P) comes out and tells you of how he killed 3000 witches and the okoko's like you jump and shout halleluyah and spread it like gospel, You have been watching too many Harry porter movies child, open your mind and emancipate yourself from the mental enslavement which the white man has used religion to rope you into,

If your pastor is so invincible, he should try walking around without all those bodyguards and sirens and see if he isnt kidnapped within a week, I would like to see your God send down the legions from heaven tha he didnt send to save Jesus from commom romans to rescue him, This is the real world child, bullets kill, humans dont fly with broomsticks and mats, and your Bishop is just a man who found religion and exploited it to become rich at the expense of poor suckers like you,

You have been warned, if you think your Oyedepo has powers, you do not want to know what Alusi Okija can do to you, You have been duly warned,

You are too small for me to even exchange words with you. You are not the first and you will not be the last. One of my roommates in school that was fond of doing astral travels. One night I almost made his spirit not to return to his body, and he packed out of the room the very next day.

YOU ARE TOO SMALL, YOU DON'T KNOW WHOM YOU ARE MESSING WITH! grin
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by doctokwus: 11:43pm On Oct 06, 2011
stagger:

You are too small for me to even exchange words with you. You are not the first and you will not be the last. One of my roommates in school that was fond of doing astral travels. One night I almost made his spirit not to return to his body, and he packed out of the room the very next day.

YOU ARE TOO SMALL, YOU DON'T KNOW WHOM YOU ARE MESSING WITH! grin

Astral travel keh?Dis is deep.If u av such powers as dis,why waste ur time,go and open ur own such,millions in nigeria will benefit frm ur ASTRAL destroying powers
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by stagger: 12:10am On Oct 07, 2011
doctokwus:

Astral travel keh?Dis is deep.If u av such powers as dis,why waste your time,go and open your own such,millions in nigeria will benefit frm your ASTRAL destroying powers

People like me are too busy trying to make impact in our own little way just as Steve Jobs did; such time cannot be wasted on cavemen like Okija_Juju.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by philip0906(m): 6:38am On Oct 07, 2011
[size=28pt]another useless and meaningless thread started by a jobless poster [/size]
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by Okijajuju1(m): 8:22am On Oct 07, 2011
doctokwus:

Astral travel keh?Dis is deep.If u av such powers as dis,why waste your time,go and open your own such,millions in nigeria will benefit frm your ASTRAL destroying powers

Are you minding that bushfish!!

Kill 3000 witches, astral travel agent and whatever crap he wants to spew from that cesspit he calls a mouth,

I cant wait for one of those planes to crash and be the death of these evil men who specialize in robbing the masses to enrich themselves. It is my dream to become the president of Nigeria someday, I will put in place laws that would regulate the activities of churches in Nigeria, Make it illegal for any church Pastor to own more than a certain number of properties and cars and then tax the shi.t out of them, If you want to know where about 20% of our annual budget goes to, its these churches.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by stagger: 11:29am On Oct 07, 2011
^^^^^^^^

if you like, you can become world president, I cannot be bothered.
By the time we finish beating the drum for you to dance, you go know say shoe get size.

Only a stubborn fly will use a size 7 leg to enter size 11 shoe.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by Bowie11(m): 6:05pm On Oct 07, 2011
Religion is an opium just like money. People are ready to argue, shout, fight, main, kill for it. I have been priviledged to relate or know some of these 'men of god' one on one and have seen the lies, fake and deceit that goes on. Why will you be forced to pay N200 for a prayer leaflet before you are allowed into Synagogue church hence without it YOU WON'T be allowed in? Why are the ushers selecting, by the way you dress, those that will sit on the ground floor near T.B Joshua and the pulpit, and those that will seat upstair away from him? Though on the positive side, I know of someone that was hamstrung and has a day left to pay his rent unless he'll be ejected. He went to Synagogue met a member who gave him the whole amount he needed in cash instantly. Oyedepo created DOMI (David Oyedepo Ministry). Every employees of Winners worldwide - paid pastors, other workers etc - are employed by DOMI. DOMI's a/c is maintained separately from Winners with Mr. & Mrs. Oyedepo as the sole signatory. The a/c is credited with 10% of workers salary deducted from source; 10% of all the tithe, offering realised from all Winners worldwide; 10% of all sales from Winners publishing house; 10% of the fees paid by students in Covenant University, Kingdom Heritage etc. It is so funny to see the height church money making venture has been taking to since Benson Idahosa started it. Infact, I pity those ones that have allowed themselves to be hoodwinked and psychoanalised by 'men of god'.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by anthoniaz(f): 9:13am On Oct 10, 2011
@Okija juju,Iyke n Stagger
It's enough!It's God who sees n knws d heart of man.We're mature people n not kids,stop d insult n just leave everything for d Almighty to judge.
Re: Little Known Ways Nigeria's Richest Pastors Made And Are Making Their Money by Okijajuju1(m): 11:27am On Oct 10, 2011
^^^

When was the last time God judged anyone?! Abeg drex make I see road jor

(1) (2) (Reply)

Forever Bee Honey Supplier In Nigeria / Where Do I Sell My Foodstuffs In Lagos? / Which Viable Business Can I Start With 150k?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.