Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,114 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? (2058 Views)

How I Escaped Having Sex In My Early Teens (A Must Read For Parents)! / A Gay Wants To Commit Suicide. Advice Him / I Read My Sister"s Diary And She Is Planning To Commit Suicide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by Orikinla(m): 10:05am On Sep 07, 2007
Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide?

American teenagers are killing themselves and I am still wondering why millions of Nigerians are still paying millions of dollars for the American Visa to flee our beloved Nigeria for America.

The US Consulate in Nigeria has confirmed the millions of Visa applications submitted by most Nigerians who don't have any business to do in America, but they only want to go there to multiply the problems of America.

I thank God for our Children in Nigeria.
Even the poorest of the poor teenagers in Nigeria are not even thinking of suicide!

The Yoruba families in particular deserve special commendation for bringing up our children to respect our culture of discipline and self-respect and respect for human life.
Yoruba children are the most disciplined in Nigeria and I know this as a bona fide born and bred Nigerian who was brought up among the Ijebus in Obalende in Lagos and spent five years living with another Yoruba family from Esie in Kwara state and I have done missionary work in a Yoruba village in the outskirts of Lagos, therefore what I am saying is the practical truth. I have also worked for my people, the Igbos and for Yorubas. And the Yorubas proved to be honest, transparent and more accommodating. As Jesus Christ said, by their fruits, you shall know them. Yoruba families have done more good to Nigerians and Nigeria than the other tribes in the most populous country in Africa.

I recommend that American children should spend their summer or winter holidays with Yoruba families in Nigeria. My darling Nicole Walter from Munich in Germany spent a year with a Yoruba family and it was my very well bred Yoruba neighbour in his teens, Olimide Akanbi, who led her into my life. And Nikky as we called her testified that, Yorubas love respecting themselves and respecting others and discipline their children to be content with whatever they have and not to be greedy and to respect others. But, when she went to the North to spend another year, she had nightmares among the Hausas.

Lest we forget, a Yoruba state, Ondo, is an oil producing state. But it is the only oil producing state in Nigeria where there are no attacks on oil companies and no violations and kidnappings of foreign oil workers. And the governor of Ondo state, is the only governor from an oil producing state who has not been indicted for graft. Unlike the other corrupt governors in the Niger Delta who misappropriated the revenue allocations meant for the development of their respective states and stole billions of naira from public coffers. Because, they are products of their corrupt family backgrounds and bad upbringing. They came from corrupt families ruled by their greediness and wickedness.

American families should emulate Yoruba families and save thousands of American children from committing suicide out of ignorance and indiscipline.

That is why I am praying that Nigeria should never be like America.

We can be like the civilized nations like Switzerland or Norway, but may we never emulate America.

American families, schools, social welfare institutions and and the so called churches have failed in their responsibilities.
They have compromised their principles, values and virtues and these horrible and terrible things happening to their children are the grave consequences of their erroneous and ambiguous actions such as their acceptance of immoral ways of life like being gays and lesbians, sexual liberties like rampant teenage sex and other vices.

Only God can save America.

Please, read the following report sent to me this morning on the alarming rate of suicide among American teens.

>>>>>>>>>

Jump in Youth Suicide Prompts National Children's Charity KidsPeace to Issue Tips on Prevention, Warning Signs

NEW YORK, Sept. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Following today's startling survey by the Centers for Disease Control reporting the largest jump (8%) in youth suicide in more than 15 years, the 125-year-old national children's crisis charity KidsPeace is issuing a raft of expert tips and resources to help youngsters, parents and schools nationwide make sure they know the warning signs, life-saving tips, and free resources to prevent tragedies wherever possible.

"From abuse and neglect, to bullying, eating disorders, peer pressure -- even fears of war and terrorism -- the strain on kids today is unprecedented and sometimes it may become too much to bear," says Dr. Peter Langman, director of psychology for KidsPeace, which helps thousands of children each day at 66 crisis centers. "When this happens, kids begin to seek some form of escape from their woes and in the most severe cases, when there does not appear to be an alternative, children may even turn to suicide to free themselves from the pain, grief, dread, or despair they are suffering."

Why Would A Child Take Her Life?

There are a number of reasons why children, like adults, may find themselves thinking the unthinkable. At the core of all motivating factors lies a desperate need to cope with a situation that may seem beyond remedy. The most important reasons include:

* Ending an unresolved conflict
* Ending suffering of acute or prolonged pain (emotional or physical)
* Escape from an unbearable situation
* Grief and loss
* Desire to join a deceased loved one
* Means of self-punishment
* Anger at others
* Act of defiance, punishment of survivors, or revenge
* Means of gaining status or "fame"
* Copycat intent -- following a school suicide, the chance of a second
one increases by 300%

Spotting the Warning Signs

"There are a number of risk factors, signs and symptoms that might provide hints or clues that a child is contemplating or planning to attempt suicide," says Dr. Herbert Mandell of the KidsPeace Children's Hospital in Orefield, Pennsylvania. The most important signals to look out for are:

* Prior history of attempted suicide or suicide by someone close to the
child
* Writings about suicide (poems, stories, etc.)
* Indirect threats ("I wish I was dead."wink or direct threats ("I'm going
to kill myself."wink
* Preoccupation with death including:
-- Talking about death or compulsively thinking about and longing
for a dead person
-- Sudden, intense interest in religion and afterlife
-- Making final arrangements (writing a will, talking about their
funeral, etc.)
-- Giving away prized possessions
-- Creating artwork or writing or listening to music about
death/dying
-- Visible changes in behavior, physical condition, thoughts, or
feelings such as withdrawal, isolation, or loss of interest in
social interaction
* Diminished involvement in usual interests, activities, or hobbies
* Increased risk-taking behaviors, recklessness, or aggressiveness
* Decreased academic performance
* Increased use of alcohol or drugs
* Crying easily
* Abrupt changes in appearance
* Recent weight or appetite change
* Change in sleep patterns
* Exhaustion, extreme drowsiness
* Inability to concentrate or think rationally
* Exaggerated fears, extreme anxiety, or depression
* Low self-esteem
* Hopelessness or helplessness
* Increased irritability or anger, mood swings or withdrawal from
communication
* Stress from difficult situations including the inability to cope with
loss (such as divorce, breaking with a boy/girlfriend, loss of a job
or status, death of a loved one
* Feelings of worthlessness
* A victim mentality caused by physical, sexual or emotional abuse

Suicide More Common Among Young People

Learning the facts is increasingly important. "Not only is suicide the third leading cause of death among young people 15 to 24 years of age, but from 1980-1996 the rate of suicide among 10- to 14-year-olds increased by 100 percent. Since 1950, the suicide rate for white females ages 15-24 has doubled, and for white males ages it has tripled."

Information & Resources

"Children and parents should know they are not alone," says KidsPeace President & CEO C.T. O'Donnell II. "A variety of free informational efforts and resources exist to help in these stressful times." Here are a few:

* www.kidspeace.org offers a free, downloadable suicide information and
prevention brochure, along with many other prevention materials to help
lessen the stresses on today's kids

* www.TeenCentral.net is a free, safe, and anonymous problem-solving
resource where older kids and teens can go to find hope, encouragement,
and clinically screened advice to defuse crises in their young lives
before they become overwhelming

KidsPeace is a 125-year-old national children's charity dedicated to helping America's kids avoid and overcome the kinds of crises that can strike any child -- from traumas to neglect, depression, and the stresses of modern life. Founded in 1882 in Bethlehem, Pa., KidsPeace helps thousands of children a day at 65 centers nationally and millions more through public education and outreach with the support of its National Spokesperson and founder of the Memory Foundation Leeza Gibbons, Harvard's Dr. Alvin Poussaint, RETRO BILL, and other notables. KidsPeace was called "the outstanding organization" of its kind by the American Association of Psychiatric Services for Children and "a prototype of what we need for all children everywhere" by family expert Dr. Lee Salk. For more information, go to www.kidspeace.org .

Vice President
(800)-25-PEACE

Source: KidsPeace

CONTACT: Mark Stubis, Vice President of KidsPeace, +1-800-25-PEACE

Web site: http://www.kidspeace.org/
http://www.teencentral.net/

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by CrazyMan(m): 10:49am On Sep 07, 2007
They do it because most of them have no home training

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by mazaje(m): 11:04am On Sep 07, 2007
@ poster

what kind of post is this?
The Yoruba families in particular deserve special commendation for bringing up our children to respect our culture of discipline and self-respect and respect for human life.
Yoruba children are the most disciplined in Nigeria and I know this as a bona fide born and bred Nigerian who was brought up among the Ijebus in Obalende in Lagos and spent five years living with another Yoruba family from Esie in Kwara state and I have done missionary work in a Yoruba village in the outskirts of Lagos, therefore what I am saying is the practical truth. I have also worked for my people, the Igbos and for Yorubas. And the Yorubas proved to be honest, transparent and more accommodating. As Jesus Christ said, by their fruits, you shall know them. Yoruba families have done more good to Nigerians and Nigeria than the other tribes in the most populous country in Africa.

I recommend that American children should spend their summer or winter holidays with Yoruba families in Nigeria. My darling Nicole Walter from Munich in Germany spent a year with a Yoruba family and it was my very well bred Yoruba neighbour in his teens, Olimide Akanbi, who led her into my life. And Nikky as we called her testified that, Yorubas love respecting themselves and respecting others and discipline their children to be content with whatever they have and not to be greedy and to respect others. But, when she went to the North to spend another year, she had nightmares among the Hausas.

You are part of the reason why nigeria is still where it is today. Nonsense Can't you just make a simple point without displaying your ignoranance, triabalism and bigotry? mahauka chi dan durun uwa.
Re: Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by fatty27: 11:13am On Sep 07, 2007
Thank you for this useful link. I think the idiots who want to give us the impression that American marrital system is the best to emulate had better check it out. They keep citing American examples to justified their kolomentalism. The people who had allow Dollar to erode their common sense should tell us whether a system build on strong moral foundation would be so viciously ravaged by such calamity. That is what their ideal would produce. Let them keep condemning their own culture and embrace the failing Akata culture in the name of civiliization. Their children would pay for it. Inshah Allah.
Re: Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by ssRhino: 12:09pm On Sep 07, 2007
They are the product of the society, they are killing themselves cos that is what they see and heard on the news:
An actor is lonely and commited suicide, An actress has been jilted and using drup, overdose and sorry to annouce, she is dead at age of 32, with all these, they seems not to know any better.
Nigerians will just hang out and blv that tomorrow will be better, and nigerians dont blv in killing themselves, cos all nigerians wanna go to heaen, even the herbalist.
Nigerian are one nationalities that will survive under any situation and circumstances, so give it for us
Re: Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by omoge(f): 1:58pm On Sep 07, 2007
Yet we are spending a huge sum of our hard earn money to come to the west. thinking dollars everyday and won't let our brothers and sisters there rest from constant demand. Not even to allow them tell us their stories but gimmie dollars, gimmie dollars undecided
Re: Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by Orikinla(m): 2:07pm On Sep 07, 2007
The Nigerians who are harassing those in the US for dollars are ignorant of the realities in America. Because, those in America don't tell them the truth.
My cousin was deported from the UK, but he was posing and posturing that he came back home to sell some BMW cars to legislators in Abuja. The desperate Lagos girls and ladies fell for his lies.
Nigerians who know the truth don't get deceived by such white lies.

mazaje:

@ poster

what kind of post is this?
You are part of the reason why nigeria is still where it is today. Nonsense Can't you just make a simple point without displaying your ignoranance, triabalism and bigotry? mahauka chi dan durun uwa.

I love Nigerians who believe in our culture and tradition of discipline.

The person calling me a tribalist, is mistaking my point of view. Because, I am giving examples I know and if the bitter truth is annoying you, then compare notes among the Nigerians who respect their culture and tradition most.

Yorubas are the most disciplined and accommodating.

An Ijebu Yoruba man Odeneye, from Ogun State, was the landord of 28, Obalende Road, in Obalende, Lagos. All his tenants, except one, were three Igbo families, one Ijaw Family, two Benin families and one Isoko family. And the Yoruba landlord treated us like one big family. During the Nigerian civil war, he made sure that nobody harassed or attacked my father and my father was even enjoying himself in Lagos, whilst my mother took care of me and the other children in Biafra. The Yoruba landlord taught all the children, including his own children, as one big family and none of us misbehaved, and till date, we have not misbehaved in the society and our children have been learning from the lessons passed on from that Yoruba culture of discipline, modesty, and probity.

I repeat that Ondo State is an oil producing state,  but does not welcome the Niger Delta oil crisis. That is the proof of the culture of discipline and probity.

American children should be sent to Nigeria to spend their long holidays with Yoruba families to save them from the calamities of the grave consequences of immoral and criminal ways of life of their wayward American society.    
They will learn the lessons of how to respect themselves and respect others in the society. They will also learn that suicide is an abomination and an eternal damnation.

This is my own Nigerian solution to the American problem.
Re: Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by amaikama(m): 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2007
They are seed of demonic frustrated freedom alienated children that sees suicide as the only and last solution to their predicament. angry
Re: Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by olanajim(m): 4:33pm On Sep 07, 2007
Imagine what would have happen if God exchange Nigerian problems with that of the America. I am affraid they would have commited suicide and possibly wipe out their generation. The problems that is driving them to suicide is what any Naija man could shake off.

I pity those Naija that never see anything good in their country.
Re: Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by olanajim(m): 4:33pm On Sep 07, 2007
Imagine what would have happen if God exchange Nigerian problems with that of the America. I am affraid they would have commited suicide and possibly wipe out their generation. The problems that is driving them to suicide is what any Naija man could shake off.

I pity those Naija that never see anything good in their country.
Re: Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by Seun(m): 6:22pm On Sep 07, 2007
People commit suicide due to severe depression as a result of personal problems and not national problems. Do you think Americans don't have personal problems? Human beings will always have problems!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Teens In America Commit Suicide? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:24pm On Sep 07, 2007
Isnt it Japan that has the highest suicide rate?

(1) (Reply)

Effects Of Cross-cultural Marriage. / Y Are There Always Tragic Stories About Marriage On Nairaland / The Food Items I Donated To Muslim Neighbour For Ramadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.