Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,169 members, 7,821,965 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach (1625 Views)

Heartland Fc Vs 3SC (2pm) | FC Ifeanyi Ubah Vs Sunshine Stars (4pm) / NPFL: Enyimba Fc Vs Heartland Fc (2 - 0) On 17th June 2015 / NPFL: Heartland Vs Kano Pillars (1 - 0) On 30th April 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by SouthEast1: 6:13pm On Oct 04, 2011
http://odili.net/news/source/2011/oct/2/310.html

Why I love Owerri women, by Heartland's Dutch Coach

Sports    Sunday, October 2, 2011

By KATE OBODO

After leading Heartland to win the 2011 Federation Cup last week, the club's Technical Adviser, Lodewijk De Kruif, who hails from Holland, tells Saturday Vanguard Sports of his aspirations for the team, which he led to victory in the Federation Cup final. He also reveals his fond admiration for the women in Owerri. Excerpts:

Heartland FC Coach, Lodewijk de Kruif

advertisement

AdChoices
Congratulations on your Federation Cup win. So how how does it feel being the champions?

I feel very good, because it was a big trial for us. Like I told people before now, we had to pass through this trial to show the stuff that we are made of. When I came to the club between January to February, we were in bad shape, we had to reform a little bit, bring in some new things into the group. I said, from the beginning that it was too important for us to do well in the Federation Cup. Then we took all the matches very seriously and it brought us to the finals. And now we have won the cup. So I am very happy for the team, because it was the players who did the job. Same goes for the technical crew, the management and our fantastic fans

What is your assessment of the final match against Enyimba?

It was a very difficult match because our opponents came out when we were a goal ahead. But everybody can see that we were two times better than Enyimba in that match. I think we won the match because we played better than the Aba boys.

Is this the first remarkable Cup win you have recorded?

I have had other wins with youth teams in my country but this is the major trophy that I have won so far in my coaching career. It is even more special because it is the first time Heartland are winning something after 23 years without winning any trophy,  Indeed, It is really great and also a new beginning for the people of Imo State and the Governor Rochas Okorocha.

Who do you dedicate this victory to?

I dedicate this victory to the team and the people of Imo, for their unflinching support throughout the campaign. I also dedicate it to the players, because they were the ones who made it possible and I am very proud of them because they have done very well in earning this great victory. We won the match despite the fact that people regarded us as the underdogs. I am happy and satisfied with the performance of my players.

What makes Heartland tick?

Heartland is tick, because of the quality of players we have in the team. Although we are not perfect, we still need to be properly nurtured

What plans do you have for Heartland?

Now that we have won the Fed Cup, I think that he future is now brighter for the team. My focus will be how to improve the fortunes of the team. We must re-organize the team and bring in some players and allow some to go. This can be achieved by scouting for players, getting them, knowing their skills in the game, evaluating their psychological well-being and integrating them into our plan.

How has your stay in Owerri been?

It has been wonderful, being in Nigeria. Owerri is a good place to be. The people there are good and accommodating and I have been able to learn one or two things so far. Talking about their foods, I like 'eba',apu' I also like their culture. So it is nice being here.

What do you like most about Nigeria; her men, women and society at large?

Like I said earlier, Nigeria is indeed great with rich pool of talents and wonderful people[b] particularly the people of Owerri; [/b]I like her men and women. But I like the women in Owerri more because they are hard working, supportive and industrious in the polity of the state. They are special people to be with,

What is your assessment of the average Nigerian player?

One thing that you can not take away from the average Nigerian player is that he is talented but the problem is the opportunity to identify and get these talents. There are whole lots of players in these country who can play very and make the country proud.

What needs improvement in the league

The Nigerian league, is still growing and needs to be improved like other leagues outside the country, especially in the aspect of its programme . For instance, the issue of not knowing the exact terminal date for the league is not good for the development of the game. Normally, the league runs from August to May in Europe but here, there is no fixed date., which is not good for the game. The aspect of officiating needs to be looked into if the league must improve. Coaches should also be technically sound. Lastly the remuneration of players welfare should also be considered.
Re: Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by SouthEast1: 6:15pm On Oct 04, 2011
This, coming from a non-Nigerian, is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. And BTW, not just Owerri women, but Igbo women in general.

My mother is a good example grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by SouthEast1: 6:19pm On Oct 04, 2011
Everyday I dream of an Igbo country where Igbos will pilot their own affairs, invest more in their land, and encourage excellence in a competitive manner, while dealing a deathly blow on the vices ravaging that part of the country.
Re: Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by noblegas2(m): 6:21pm On Oct 04, 2011
@ Seanet, insulting someones mother isn't a nice gesture! I think you should apologise!
Re: Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by SouthEast1: 11:37pm On Oct 04, 2011
Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach
Re: Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by ak47mann(m): 1:09am On Oct 05, 2011
am a witness when it come to owerri women cheesy cheesy for real my girl she from owerri she is very nice and caring cool
Re: Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by OgidiBoy(m): 1:15am On Oct 05, 2011
All Igbo women are "hard working, supportive and industrious in the polity of the state. They are special people to be with"

It don't matter if it's Anambra, Enugu or Owerri. our women are just special like that kiss
Re: Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by Obiagu1(m): 1:35am On Oct 05, 2011
OgidiBoy:

All Igbo women are "hard working, supportive and industrious in the polity of the state. They are special people to be with"

It don't matter if it's Anambra, Enugu or Owerri. our women are just special like that kiss

This is the reason Igbo women are the hottest commodity in Nigeria. Every tribe wants them, not just because they are beautiful, they are hard working, supportive and industrious as well.
Re: Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by texazzpete(m): 7:29am On Oct 05, 2011
Wait, what the heck does this have to do with Politics?!
Re: Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by OgidiBoy(m): 12:18am On Oct 06, 2011
^^^ Igbo women are good with politics too grin grin
Re: Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by ak47mann(m): 12:59am On Oct 06, 2011
^^^
chineke grin grin grin grin
Re: Why I Love Owerri Women, By Heartland's Dutch Coach by RSA(m): 12:42pm On Oct 07, 2011
OgidiBoy:

^^^ Igbo women are good with politics too grin grin

Then Igbo woman are like Chuck Norris.

(1) (Reply)

Abuja To Host Nigeria V Brazil In September Friendly / Japan Vs Ghana, {0 - 1} u-17 Women's World Cup On Friday October 05-2012 / Regina George Shines At Penn Relays

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.