Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. (2324 Views)

I Am Considering Japa For The First Time In My Life. The Hardship Is Unbearable / Think Well Before You β€˜Japa’ β€” Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) / To All Japa Gang. It's Not Easy Anywhere (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by Jamigori: 7:11am On Jul 02, 2023
This is why I don't like the Pan African movement. Most have their kids in developed countries while discouraging others from leaving.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by TemplarLandry: 7:12am On Jul 02, 2023
wink
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by KingOfTheDamned: 7:19am On Jul 02, 2023
That's Nigerians for you

Those who tell you not to Japan fall into 2 categories

1. Those who can never afford to leave Nigeria or even afford visa fees talkless of flight ticket . They can't ever travel out of Nigeria except as war time refuggess to cameround or Ghana with their legs. Or those who were deported and can never leave Nigeria.

2. Those who don't want you to leave, they come here and reate threads ltellimg you how there is no green grass over there and how hard life is ther with all the taxes but they will never return to Nigeria. They get angry when they hear that their gateman or their servant in Nigeria has left the job of looking after their old mum and travelled abroad. They hate it when the driver they use whenever they visit Nigeria has now left to go hunt for Greene pastures abroad !! Who will drive their cars in Nigeria for them ? Who will open gate to their mansion in Lagos for them? How dare you dream to travelling abroad to better your life ?!

These 2 categories of people are demons avoid them

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by neutralmind: 7:24am On Jul 02, 2023
KingOfTheDamned:
That's Nigerians for you

Those who tell you not to Japan fall into 2 categories

1. Those who can never afford to leave Nigeria or even afford visa fees talkless of flight ticket . They can't ever travel out of Nigeria except as war time refuggess to cameround or Ghana with their legs. Or those who were deported and can never leave Nigeria.

2. Those who don't want you to leave, they come here and reate threads ltellimg you how there is no green grass over there and how hard life is ther with all the taxes but they will never return to Nigeria.

These 2 categories of people are demons avoid them

Some people just don't like the abroad lifestyle, weather and way of life so they will rather stay here in Nigeria and live a comfortable life.

I know people who genuinely do not wish to japa and they have the resources to do so.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by Cassandraloius: 7:31am On Jul 02, 2023
Nigeria is a beautiful place to stay, the problem we have today is bad leadership.

But if see the opportunity to Japa, I will not think it twice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by mbaise1000: 7:33am On Jul 02, 2023
I remember that the first time I left nigeria for France years back I didn't even know that there is something like Snow, I left Lagos on a January 4th wearing only one jean and ordinary shirt with 2 extra trousers and shirts to Paris without jacket, I came out of the airport and rushed back in again, I didn't die, I survived, my point is that anyone who want to make a move of life mustn't depend on what anyone is saying, there are always room for mistakes as long as we learn from them, I am not saying it's wrong seeking information but there are times when you need to do THINGS your own way, that someone didn't succeed in something doesn't mean you will not succeed in them, man's greatest enemy is fear, conquer fear and you are a successful person

11 Likes

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by KingOfTheDamned: 7:35am On Jul 02, 2023
neutralmind:

Some people just don't like the abroad lifestyle, weather and way of life so they will rather stay here in Nigeria and live a comfortable life.

I know people who genuinely do not wish to japa and they have the resources to do so.

You can't have a valid opinion on something you haven't experienced or have close contact with someone who has been there. I have been abroad so I can have a valid opinion on it.

Imagine me saying south Africans are USELESS, when I haven't met one? That is plain xenophobia.
.to tell people abroad is not worth it when you haven't crossed river Niger is just being a hater and an enemy of progress . These are the people I am referring to

2 Likes

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by inoki247: 7:38am On Jul 02, 2023
Lol all this Japa things are jus Noise give alll Nigerian Visa to leave the country you will be surprised half of the Citizens won't leave...

With all the Noise people wey dey leave the Country yearly no reach 10m..

Na SM just dey make the noise plenty people don dey Japa since the 80s through illegal route na bkuz say people are taking the legal route more na why he dey be like say people plenty....

Nigerians wey dey Japa yearly no even plenty reach reach Mexican wey dey run enter USA wey dem share border with....

Nigerians in UK no plenty reach half of Indian and Chinese wey dey UK still na our noise plenty pass...

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by chinchum(m): 8:30am On Jul 02, 2023
inoki247:
Lol all this Japa things are jus Noise give alll Nigerian Visa to leave the country you will be surprised half of the Citizens won't leave...

With all the Noise people wey dey leave the Country yearly no reach 10m..

Na SM just dey make the noise plenty people don dey Japa since the 80s through illegal route na bkuz say people are taking the legal route more na why he dey be like say people plenty....

Nigerians wey dey Japa yearly no even plenty reach reach Mexican wey dey run enter USA wey dem share border with....

Nigerians in UK no plenty reach half of Indian and Chinese wey dey UK still na our noise plenty pass...
Nigerians leaving the country annually on one way is not up to 500,000.
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by inoki247: 8:34am On Jul 02, 2023
chinchum:
people leaving annually is not up to 500,000.

I know say na Noise go any country even Africa countries Na Chinese and India get citizens pass for dere nd we no hear any Noise....

Even ordinary Ghana derr China has the highest number of documented citizens more than Nigeria na only undocumented we fit use beat them....
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by chinchum(m): 8:36am On Jul 02, 2023
inoki247:

I know say na Noise go any country even Africa countries Na Chinese and India get citizens pass for dere nd we no hear any Noise....

Even ordinary Ghana derr China has the highest number of documented citizens more than Nigeria na only undocumented we fit use beat them....
The noise can be deceptive.
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by ednut1(m): 9:16am On Jul 02, 2023
Jamigori:
This is why I don't like the Pan African movement. Most have their kids in developed countries while discouraging others from leaving.
hahahaha what a foolish man. So his son is not in Nigeria. I once saw a post of an ex oga of mine on LinkedIn complaining too. But this person spent 10 years in US before coming back, has US citizenship with her family. So you no want us to collect the citizenship too. And who says we may not come back. Japa is actually helping Nigeria. There are many unemployed and underemployed people in Nigeria. As people are moving others are replacing them. Total japa to uk, australia, canada, Germany,usa since 2020 has not even reached 1m people, meanwhile there are 200m people with. 33% unemployment rate. He should get lost.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by FriendsAndFans(m): 10:11am On Jul 02, 2023
mbaise1000:
I remember that the first time I left nigeria for France years back I didn't even know that there is something like Snow, I left Lagos on a January 4th wearing only one jean and ordinary shirt with 2 extra trousers and shirts to Paris without jacket, I came out of the airport and rushed back in again, I didn't die, I survived, my point is that anyone who want to make a move of life mustn't depend on what anyone is saying, there are always room for mistakes as long as we learn from them, I am not saying it's wrong seeking information but there are times when you need to do THINGS your own way, that someone didn't succeed in something doesn't mean you will not succeed in them, man's greatest enemy is fear, conquer fear and you are a successful person

The fear isn't about trying to achieve one's plan. The fear is if one can afford it at the point in time and if there is support. When the two is lacking, one would have to rely on others information pattern.

You gave a good thought and motivation

2 Likes

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by Mindlog: 10:28am On Jul 02, 2023
The man lives in the US and went to the UK way back in 1989 for his Doctorate, now moaning about brain drain! cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by Gerrard59(m): 11:39am On Jul 02, 2023
Jamigori:

I really detest people like him. Fvcking hypocrites! The man has US abi British citizenship (the wife is even an American) and wrote how he was scrutinised in an African country whenever he presented the Nigerian passport. It was until he brought his American passport that the official stated "You should have brought ut this in the first place". The UK government sponsored this dude to the London School of Economics, then later became the first black man on the board of directors at Apple. Now, he is complaining about japa. Why did he not return immediately after his sponsorship to LSE? Why the heck does he think those who have japa'd recently won't return? Worst of all, he moved to Ghana, whereas most who japa'd will return to Nigeria in the nearest future.

Nigeria's population is way too much, and people leaving affords those at home to replace them. In 2020, the average number of jobs on Nigerian LinkedIn was 10K. Now, it is 5K. Yet the population has ballooned! Those who left will bring greater capital and higher valued skills into the economy. He should encourage the movement and even suggest that the government sign Working Holiday visas with developed countries so that people go out to find jobs. That is what Indian elites are doing - signing with Germany, UK and now Australia.

This man comes across as someone who will advise a naive mentee to study at Ashesi University, which is ridiculously expensive in a country with less than ten thousand jobs, instead of a university in Brazil with over 450K jobs.

Any naive African youth that follows his loud-mouthed elites blindly is on a long thing. Follow the numbers and secure your future. Don't listen to men who have secured theirs YET chastise you for doing the same. This same man has romanced with Nigerian politicians, why has he not called them to complain?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by Gerrard59(m): 11:46am On Jul 02, 2023
Gerrard59:

Additionally, THERE IS NO NIGERIAN ELITE WHO DOES NOT HAVE A SECOND CITIZENSHIP OR CHILDREN ARE PREPPED TO OBTAIN ONE Apart from skit makers who are new in the game, no notable comedian's wife birthed in Nigeria. ALL gave birth in the US, thereby making their children Americans. The same applies to musicians. It is the reason I am pissed when wicked misfits constantly vagabond this section opening their smelly mouth waaaaaa chanting that young people should not japa. You mean like Akin Alabi who hustled in the UK? Don Jazzy, who did the same? DBanj, whose dad is an ex-military officer that did the same? Mike Adenuga, who rode taxi in the US? What about Banky W whose mom worked in ExxonMobil, gave birth to him in the US and he studied at Corona Schools, the same school Osibanjo studied? Only for him to come and lie that his parents struggled, which is why they rented a flat in Yaba during the '70s. You mean the same Yaba that was home to the then middle class? shocked Or him being a Nigerian-American married to Adesuwa, a British-Nigerian? Or his friend, the pilot, a Canadian-Nigerian who is married to Toolz, daughter of the Oniru of Lekki, who is a British-Nigerian? Or her friend Stephanie Coker, a British-Nigerian, who is married to the younger brother of the co-founder of GTB, who too is a British-Nigerian? Or Mo Abudu who is a American/British-Nigerian and son studied at Duke University? Or her erstwhile employee presenter Zainab Balogun, another British-Nigerian who married an American-Nigerian? Or the other erstwhile employee I used to crush on - Cynthia Kamalu, who married a Nigerian-American? Or Iyin Aboyeji, whose wife is an American citizen, and father worked at ExxonMobil and whose sister studied in the UK? Or Hakeem-Bello, whose daughter studied at Harvard and Stanford and ALL members of his family are dual nationals between the UK and US? Or Nnamdi Kanu who is a British-Nigerian? Or Sunday Igboho who is a German citizen or Sowore who is an American citizen?

C'mon!

There is no Nigerian elite, dead or alive, that does not or did not have a second passport to ease travel whether for leisure or business or academic-related events. I have stated it recently that visa free access is hinged on wealth not race. The reason the olodos on Twitter think it is race is that sub-Saharan Africa is home to the largest number of black people, and as a result, many black Africans are denied visas. Even at that, citizens from countries like Namibia, Botswana, South Africa and even far-flung black-dominated places like Bahamas, Bermuda and Barbados don't face similar scrutiny as their contemporaries in sub-Saharan Africa. Have you seen African Americans complained that they were denied visas because of their skin colour? Are they not black people too? But woke olodos on Twitter don't understand simple economics, the reason they spend time chanting and whining that bOrDeRs ArE rAcIsT. As if they would offer unfettered access to a poor black stranger instead of Elon Musk. Except you want to have hope that sub-Saharan countries would be as rich as Malaysia before her citizens begin to enjoy visa-free travel.

As for returning to Nigeria, trust me, many would return. One reason many would return is the weather. The new wave of emigres lived in the tropics for at least 25 years, so it won't be easy to adjust to temperate climates. My friend in Canada complains about the same thing. She told me clearly "once I attain citizenship status and the passport, G59, I am out of this place". Again, the vast majority of Nigerian elites once worked or studied abroad. From Tayo who is Paga CEO (has American citizenship) to Segun Agbaje who also studied and worked in the US to Emi Lokan and many many others. What about Okechukwu Enelamah who studied Medicine at UNN and did his MBA at Harvard? He co-founded African Capital Alliance, Nigeria's first private equity firm. Ibe Kachikwu nko? Studied Law at UNN and went to Harvard for his MSc and PhD? There is even one I used to admire who studied at Cambridge University and started his consulting business in Lagos. He, too, just like his contemporaries, is a British-Nigerian. One might say Northern elites don't do the same. That is a very big fat lie! Which child of any Northern elite studied in Nigeria? Sanusi's children studied in the UK ditto for El-Rufai's. What about Buhari? He claimed to be poor before the 2015 elections. However, ALL his children studied in the UK. Do poor people's children study in the UK? Esp when they did not attend top schools that have lot of scholarships to offer? Let's not even go to the south, where Amaechi's son is in Canada or Okorocha's son who finished from University of Manchester?

The effects of having a second and, most importantly, a strong passport cannot be over-emphasised. To buttress it, before 2010, Nigerians could travel to 76 countries without obtaining a visa. Ten years later, it plunged to 46. What do the next ten years hold? DrCheif on Twitter narrated his experience when he visited one African country. Upon the usual show me your passport, he showed the official a Nigerian passport. Even though it is visa-free for Nigerians (e fit don change sef), the official dilly-dallied. As time was going, Cheif brought out his American passport and showed the official. What did the official say? "You should have brought this out in the first place". Today, Cheif stays in Ghana.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by lawani: 12:01pm On Jul 02, 2023
There are hundreds of thousands of US citizens in Nigeria most of whom are Nigerians with US citizenship. They relocated to Nigeria to work here after spending years in the USA. So things are not always as they seem. Indians, Japanese, Germans, British are all here with some working in Nigerian private companies or in companies they co founded with Nigerians. Not to talk of Lebanese, Indians, Chinese and etc and all this while young Nigerians spend millions to japa. Some Lebanese who came to Lagos penniless ten years ago are now multi millionaires using their brains and they are young men too. To each his or her own or as the saying goes 'To every Mallam his kettle!'.
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by elijah101(m): 12:05pm On Jul 02, 2023
Me I sha want to get the second citizenship , so I can come back and tell you all that you don't need it ..
lawani:
There are hundreds of thousands of US citizens in Nigeria most of whom are Nigerians with US citizenship. They relocated to Nigeria to work here after spending years in the USA. So things are not always as they seem. Indians, Japanese, Germans, British are all here with some working in Nigerian private companies or in companies they co founded with Nigerians. Not to talk of Lebanese, Indians, Chinese and etc and all this while young Nigerians spend millions to japa. Some Lebanese who came to Lagos penniless ten years ago are now multi millionaires using their brains and they are young men too. To each his or her own or as the saying goes 'To every Mallam his kettle!'.

3 Likes

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by lawani: 12:10pm On Jul 02, 2023
elijah101:
Me I sha want to get the second citizenship , so I can come back and tell you all that you don't need it ..

Dual citizenship is something that should not be. It makes no sense. You need only one citizenship and in other places you can be an expatriate (migrant worker).
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by shegzhkn: 12:20pm On Jul 02, 2023
Lol, why can't all this people then build a functioning society to preclude young people from traveling to distant shores.
They have opinion on everything but can do almost nothing, he is screaming about brain drain when infact the western world did not want you. Use those damn intellect to build a working society.
You've got over 200M population and no matter how folks travel out of the country you will always have more 95% back home, work with that. Nigerian don't even travel that much.

1 Like

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by lawani: 12:32pm On Jul 02, 2023
shegzhkn:
Lol, why can't all this people then build a functioning society to preclude young people from traveling to distant shores.
They have opinion on everything but can do almost nothing, he is screaming about brain drain when infact the western world did not want you. Use those damn intellect to build a working society.
You've got over 200M population and no matter how folks travel out of the country you will always have more 95% back home, work with that. Nigerian don't even travel that much.

Travelling is also good. Everybody travel if only to gain extra experience. My Dad travelled to the UK,studied and returned when his Dad wrote to say he has become an old man already. If you leave your land empty, your culture will be at risk of extinction but the land itself will continue attracting people. Land is like that. If those who own it don't like it, foreigners will. Land will never be orphaned

1 Like

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by lastkingsman: 12:37pm On Jul 02, 2023
[quote author=Gerrard59 post=124162359][/quote]

Nice write up. But why the crush on Cynthia Kamalu? Lol grin
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by Gerrard59(m): 12:50pm On Jul 02, 2023
lastkingsman:

Nice write up. But why the crush on Cynthia Kamalu? Lol grin

She was beautiful as at then. I really did crush on her. She is a mother (maybe two kids, I don't know). Because of her, I stayed glued to Ebony Life.
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by Gerrard59(m): 12:53pm On Jul 02, 2023
Just to state it here, anyone who tells you dual nationality should not be, even when the person is in Canada, hustling for women with residency to marry him should be avoided. You need to have dual nationality to access most good jobs these days. If na lie, ask your tech bros who have fled as na major way to get good jobs in their industry. In the long run, dual nationality gives one stability in one's career.

5 Likes

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by LionInZion: 12:53pm On Jul 02, 2023
lawani:

Dual citizenship is something that should not be. It makes no sense. You need only one citizenship and in other places you can be an expatriate (migrant worker).

Care to explain why you think dual citizenship is useless? Have you ever been limited or denied an opportunity because you only have a Nigerian passport? If dual citizenship is so useless, do you think people will be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars or spending years in a country they don't really like or even marrying someone they don't really like just to acquire it?
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by lawani: 12:57pm On Jul 02, 2023
LionInZion:

Care to explain why you think dual citizenship is useless? Have you ever been limited or denied an opportunity because you only have a Nigerian passport? If dual citizenship is so useless, do you think people will be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars or spending years in a country they don't really like or even marrying someone they don't really like just to acquire it?

I believe everybody should be serious and build their nations. The Earth should be evenly developed. I don't believe in polygamy. They don't believe in it in India too. Once an Indian takes a new passport, he or she will need a visa to visit India
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by LionInZion: 1:00pm On Jul 02, 2023
Gerrard59:
Just to state it here, anyone who tells you dual nationality should not be, even when the person is in Canada, hustling for women with residency to marry him should be avoided. You need to have dual nationality to access most good jobs these days. If na lie, ask your tech bros who have fled as na major way to get good jobs in their industry. In the long run, dual nationality gives one stability in one's career.

Bro I tire oooo. How would someone think dual citizenship is useless haha. Yet people are lining up to spend $900k or $1.8m to acquire EB-5 visa.

1 Like

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by scally11: 3:09pm On Jul 02, 2023
Like I will always advise people travelling abroad is the best you can do for yourself if u are from a middle class family. It us even better if u are from a poor background but luck smiled on you. It'd witchcraft for someone to dissuade another person from greatness. Ask that man if he would like to comeback and the answer u will get will throw u off balance but they will advise u not to come while they won't leave
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by Karleb(m): 4:12pm On Jul 02, 2023
I like the title of this thread. cheesy
Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by ednut1(m): 4:22pm On Jul 02, 2023
lawani:
the lebanese have a strong community in Nigeria with ties to politics in north and south. They are also using their skin colour privilege as we see foreigners as gods here. Even a Nigerian raised in uk or usa with accent has privileges over the average Nigerian, they get roles in media, radio station, hospitality or are used for the aesthetics, accent equals elitism/ class in Nigeria .An unknown indian, chinese or lebanese will get contracts or license for something over an average Nigerian with no connection. This analogy no follow.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by lawani: 4:48pm On Jul 02, 2023
ednut1:
the lebanese have a strong community in Nigeria with ties to politics in north and south. They are also using their skin colour privilege as we see foreigners as gods here. Even a Nigerian raised in uk or usa with accent has privileges over the average Nigerian, they get roles in media, radio station, hospitality or are used for the aesthetics, accent equals elitism/ class in Nigeria .An unknown indian, chinese or lebanese will get contracts or license for something over an average Nigerian with no connection. This analogy no follow.

Yes many back in Lebanon hear of how Nigeria is filled with Lebanese and the streets flowing with milk and honey. With only a diploma, they head to Nigeria, get a job with a Lebanese business or with Nigerians employing Lebanese, save, invest, make contacts and continue to grow and they become multi millionaires. Many of them in Nigeria are first generation though there are many whose family have settled for long. Many billionaire Lebanese are Nigerians and if Nigeria bans dual citizenship, they will opt for Nigerian citizenship over that of Lebanon. Some of them are fluent in Nigerian languages too though not as much as the earlier generations who were more integrated into the local culture. Then nobody gets contracts without being in the industry and having substantial investments

1 Like

Re: Japa For Me, But Not For Thee. by steadyMoving22: 8:17pm On Jul 02, 2023
Get a second passport if you like yourself, Nigeria don't really care about you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Visit To Rwanda. / Egypt Visa Enquiries / The World's Most Incredible Hotel Bathrooms Revealed(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.