Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,324 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Advice Me - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Advice Me (625 Views)

Hi Nairalanders, Please Advice Me.i Want To Defer My Program For Programming. / Please advice me / IT Gurus,please Step In And Advice Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Me by CamelCase: 6:52pm On Jul 02, 2023
Please guys, I need all the advice I can get..

I'm 27
No job, (resigned to Hussle better or japa)
I T technician
Have a little funds of about 1.5m naira

I'm thinking of throwing the next one year of my life totally in learning programing(already have begginer knowledge of HTML/CSS and currently started python)

I plan to do this by just looking for any small business that won't stress me and will give me like 5-8hrs daily to have time and study.. then after building a portfolio in tech after this one year.. I begin looking for japa options through work visa

Or

Seek for support from family and Jakpa

Or
Just use my 1.5m start business for Naija and relax here
Re: Advice Me by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:11pm On Jul 02, 2023
Honestly no one is going to hire a beginner developer and sponsor their work visa. It might have happened to a few people but it's more of an exception rather than a norm. Even those who managed to get into various countries have it hard getting sponsorship talk less of from outside the country.

If your family is well to do go for option two. A lot of countries are tightening in immigration and things will get harder from next year. See what's going on in France. Expect the EU to tighten up immigration from Africa. I don't know what kind of business you want to do with 1.5 million. Maybe if you are In other Nigerian cities it might work. In Lagos, rent in a good location has taken like 50 percent of the money and you will still need to buy goods and all

2 Likes

Re: Advice Me by Purvan(m): 7:41pm On Jul 02, 2023
Don't japa yet

Get a blue collar job like HVAC, plumbing etc.
You can purchase basic tools and learn the basics from YouTube

Use that money and purchase a mini bus

1 Like

Re: Advice Me by airsaylongcome: 9:47pm On Jul 02, 2023
Purvan:
Don't japa yet

Get a blue collar job like HVAC, plumbing etc.
You can purchase basic tools and learn the basics from YouTube

Use that money and purchase a mini bus

Is this advice for Nigeria?! shocked
Re: Advice Me by Paystack: 10:35pm On Jul 02, 2023
CamelCase:
Please guys, I need all the advice I can get..

I'm 27
No job, (resigned to Hussle better or japa)
I T technician
Have a little funds of about 1.5m naira

I'm thinking of throwing the next one year of my life totally in learning programing(already have begginer knowledge of HTML/CSS and currently started python)

I plan to do this by just looking for any small business that won't stress me and will give me like 5-8hrs daily to have time and study.. then after building a portfolio in tech after this one year.. I begin looking for japa options through work visa

Or

Seek for support from family and Jakpa

Or
Just use my 1.5m start business for Naija and relax here

after spending all the time learning the HTML AND CO

you'd realize they are 1000000 others like who knows same stuff u and even better

Well... We all have different paths and destiny.

I wish you luck.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Me by niel63(m): 12:15am On Jul 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
Honestly no one is going to hire a beginner developer and sponsor their work visa. It might have happened to a few people but it's more of an exception rather than a norm. Even those who managed to get into various countries have it hard getting sponsorship talk less of from outside the country.

If your family is well to do go for option two. A lot of countries are tightening in immigration and things will get harder from next year. See what's going on in France. Expect the EU to tighten up immigration from Africa. I don't know what kind of business you want to do with 1.5 million. Maybe if you are In other Nigerian cities it might work. In Lagos, rent in a good location has taken like 50 percent of the money and you will still need to buy goods and all

Na that apartment own be koko.

In our small ajah here.
Total package for one room na like 700k to 800k

Room and parlour, hold like 1.2mil

2bed, hold between 1.4 - 1.9mil

And this is in ajah. Not lekki and its environs ooo.

Unless you wan stay for okokomaiko. Even there rent no cheap, but would fit within a budget.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Me by CamelCase: 1:27pm On Jul 03, 2023
Paystack:

after spending all the time learning the HTML AND CO

you'd realize they are 1000000 others like who knows same stuff u and even better

Well... We all have different paths and destiny.

I wish you luck.

Are you saying a career in tech isn't worth it anymore?.
Re: Advice Me by Paystack: 4:24pm On Jul 03, 2023
CamelCase:

Are you saying a career in tech isn't worth it anymore?.

It's not rosy

You'll definitely suffer before making it in Tech

Suffer in Capital letters

But you can make it with enough persistence and hard work

You can't just jump into Tech and make it with 3-6 months

Unless your grace strong pass goat body odour

1 Like

Re: Advice Me by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:30pm On Jul 03, 2023
Paystack:

It's not rosy

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Advice Me by CamelCase: 5:48pm On Jul 03, 2023
Paystack:

It's not rosy

E no get where e easy.. life has taught me that.
Re: Advice Me by emoboy4u: 5:55pm On Jul 03, 2023
Paystack:

It's not rosy

Bootcamps need to stop selling this
Re: Advice Me by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:09pm On Jul 03, 2023
emoboy4u:
Bootcamps need to stop selling this

I am really shocked that ALX and co are still training people in the tens of thousands. Like 40k will graduate from alx this year and Nigeria has a total of 5000 job openings both tech and non tech. Tech jobs are around 500 and you have 40000 new developers being pushed into the market

2 Likes

Re: Advice Me by qtguru(m): 6:28pm On Jul 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I am really shocked that ALX and co are still training people in the tens of thousands. Like 40k will graduate from alx this year and Nigeria has a total of 5000 job openings both tech and non tech. Tech jobs are around 500 and you have 40000 new developers being pushed into the market

Is it free ? I think most will transition to freelance if they are really serious

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Me by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:34pm On Jul 03, 2023
qtguru:

Is it free ? I think most will transition to freelance if they are really serious

Does the freelance market have jobs for all 40k plus alx graduates
Re: Advice Me by qtguru(m): 6:42pm On Jul 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Does the freelance market have jobs for all 40k plus alx graduates

At all, naturally those successful will stay on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Me by emoboy4u: 7:02pm On Jul 03, 2023
qtguru:

Lol Boss, freelance nowadays is for those of you that started early and are grounded in your stacks. It's not easy like that for newbies especially when you have to compete globally.
Re: Advice Me by emoboy4u: 7:02pm On Jul 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

😂 God epp us
Re: Advice Me by KrazyDave16(m): 8:33pm On Jul 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Same grads will still be looking for Salesforce/AWS/GCP certs after this instead of getting good at what they learned.

Plus I'm not sure they'd grad up to 40k this year. Cohort I deferred from got like 2k people in it during specialization, and out of those 2k peeps, some are inactive/chasing other bootcamp certs
Re: Advice Me by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:36pm On Jul 03, 2023
KrazyDave16:

Same grads will still be looking for Salesforce/AWS/GCP certs after this instead of getting good at what they learned.

Plus I'm not sure they'd grad up to 40k this year. Cohort I deferred from got like 2k people in it during specialization, and out of those 2k peeps, some are inactive/chasing other bootcamp certs

Chale even with Salesforce, AWS or gcp certs. Nothing in Nigeria. On LinkedIn the average job posting on LinkedIn Nigeria has at least 300 applicants. I even saw a job with 3157 applicants and alx is just one o. You have altschool, decagon, stutern and co. Where Are they gonna work and no one should say remote o
Re: Advice Me by KrazyDave16(m): 8:48pm On Jul 03, 2023
emoboy4u:
Lol Boss, freelance nowadays is for those of you that started early and are grounded in your stacks. It's not easy like that for newbies especially when you have to compete globally.
Sometimes opportunities fit dey if you socialize.
Two years back, got a friend who had a friend who was willing to drop some serious bars for a CMS-based site. Would've joined in the project, but na Python my guy want and I didn't know the language at that time

1 Like

Re: Advice Me by KrazyDave16(m): 9:17pm On Jul 03, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Chale even with Salesforce, AWS or gcp certs. Nothing in Nigeria. On LinkedIn the average job posting on LinkedIn Nigeria has at least 300 applicants. I even saw a job with 3157 applicants and alx is just one o. You have altschool, decagon, stutern and co. Where Are they gonna work and no one should say remote o
Not sure about some of the applications on the site, saw a reddit post on recruitinghell before the API war that it counts those who viewed these postings as applicants.

But on the topic, there are other ways aside remote work.
There's bounty hunting, creating SaaS for specific niches, and other no-code gigs out there.
Re: Advice Me by lastkingsman: 4:11am On Jul 04, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Na WA oh grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Array Indexes Shud Start From Pi,logten-ten Or -1+2 / Help With Algorithm Of Basic Operations Of A Calculator / Do You Need Tutor For CCNA Or CCNP Exam? Learn Autocad, Microstation And PDMS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.