Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,414 members, 7,830,103 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector (684 Views)

FIRS Launches Digital Initiative To Include Informal Sector In Nigeria's Tax Net / Alaba Market Traders Kick Against Plan By Lagos To Demolish Secretariat / Alibaba Co-founder Jack Ma Announces Plans To Retire At 54 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by Vboot1: 6:19pm On Jul 03, 2023
The Nigerian Government through the Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS, announced the VAT Direct Initiative, a scheme that would enable FG to collect Value Added Taxes from the informal sector and reduce multiple taxations in the informal economy.

The FIRS disclosed this in a statement on Monday afternoon, stating that it FIRS is partnering with the Market Traders Association of Nigeria to collect & remit VAT from their members especially those in the informal sector using a unified systems technology.

The FIRS is the agency responsible for collecting Valued Added Taxes in Nigeria and other revenues accruable to the FG.

MATAN

The Market Traders Association of Nigeria, founded in 1995, in the statement revealed that it is the largest player in Nigeria’s informal market space with a membership of over 40 million

The FIRS noted that it is partnering with MATAN to collect and remit Valued Added Taxes from their members- especially those in the informal, adding:
β€œThis collaboration is known as VAT Direct Initiative,

β€œA collaboration between FIRS and MATAN where MATAN promotes awareness on VAT collection and remittance in the marketplace and informal sector, while also simplifying VAT payment and remittance for the marketplace and informal sector using a purpose-built digital platform.

What you should know

Nigeria’s Value Added Tax (VAT) increased by 1.75% on a quarter-on-quarter basis, reaching N709.59 billion in Q1 2023.

The manufacturing sector accounted for the largest share of VAT collection in Q1 2023 at 29.65%.

Information and communication followed with a share of 19.29%, while mining & quarrying contributed 12.24% to VAT collection during the same period.

https://nairametrics.com/2023/07/03/fg-announces-plans-to-collect-vat-from-market-traders-informal-sector/

Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by Bobloco: 6:19pm On Jul 03, 2023
Let the poor breathe...... don't suffocate them

3 Likes

Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by TemplarLandry: 6:19pm On Jul 03, 2023
Biased post. grin
The last photo which features Iya Elepo got me laughing hard.

1 Like

Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by TheboyGhost(m): 6:20pm On Jul 03, 2023
grin grin

This will favour me and my family.

1 Like

Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by Chizaam2008: 6:23pm On Jul 03, 2023
The TAMPERER
The Snatcher
The Grabber
The Runner is hia. . . . .TIEFNUBU out to collect his loot after spending trillions on rigging both BUHARI AND HIMSELF IN TO ASO ROCK! grin

1 Like

Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by muzically(m): 6:28pm On Jul 03, 2023
on your mandate grin grin grin grin grin
Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by slimfit1(m): 6:38pm On Jul 03, 2023
When are you going to do start taxing people with private jet?

When are you going to tax vehicles not made or assembled in Nigeria?

You can generate revenue by fines such as landlords not maintaining their properties not providing toilets and bathrooms. Taxes and fines are supposed to shape, teach and put us in order not just taking money.

1 Like

Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by marlow1962(m): 6:39pm On Jul 03, 2023
Na once the mama weak grin grin
Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by SemperFid: 7:02pm On Jul 03, 2023
All ma go get sense.
Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by orisa37: 7:05pm On Jul 03, 2023
STATE INLAND REVENUE SERVICES SHOULD COLLECT VAT FOR ALL PRODUCE AND SERVICES INCLUDING OIL AND GAS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE STATES.

FROM ORUNTO27 ORISAORUNTOSPEAKS.
MAN PLEASE NOTE THAT.
Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by alpharoyalty: 9:39pm On Jul 03, 2023
When will they start taxing cow owners and fulani people.
Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by anungangampu: 7:13am On Jul 04, 2023
This is the only thing Tinubu knows. I have said it from Onset. Tinubu only idea is to generate money through Tax. He knows nothing than that. Generating money is one side, using it judiciously is another. Using Lagos as an experiment, Tinubu Lagos development is first for the rich and through tribal sentiment.Nigeria is too big for such experiment.
Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by workchopNG: 8:12am On Jul 04, 2023
This taxation will favour me and my family πŸ₯±πŸ₯±πŸ₯±
Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by Dragnet007: 8:18am On Jul 04, 2023
The tax will favour me and my family,
Tinubu is a real yahoo boy....... a real Og.
Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by misano(m): 8:39am On Jul 04, 2023
Where did they bring this man from. Within 2 months Tinubu is already beating Buhari's record of being the worse president in Nigeria. I think they should give him the award already.
Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by Freethinker87: 9:46am On Jul 04, 2023
This order simply means that petty traders, hawkers and artisans will be captured in Tinubu's tax net. Not even the poor living below the poverty line will be exempted. cheesy grin Anyone who can't pay should return to their village. angry

May this new tax favour me and my family.
Re: FG Announces Plans To Collect VAT From Market Traders And Informal Sector by Freethinker87: 9:56am On Jul 04, 2023
So Mynd closed a promising thread gaining traction in the politics section and posted a redirect link to a similar thread in the business section where the story will remain moribund. Neither the politics nor business thread made it to the front page.

Seun, this is what your employee is doing with your business. Sabotaging your business for irrelevant political gains.

Let me go and tag Seun on Twitter. cheesy grin

https://www.nairaland.com/7751304/fg-announces-plans-collect-vat#124196321

(1) (Reply)

Link To SMEDAN Loan Application, Apply Now / Advice On Marketing / Buy E-gold At The Cheapest Prices Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.