Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,102 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. (3738 Views)

Poll: Is It Right For Mikel To Be Fined?

Yes: 76% (26 votes)
No: 23% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos Of Vincent Enyeama Leaving Super Eagles Camp / Kalou Pays Mikel $5,000 Bet After Eagles Won / Mikel Obi Deletes Twitter Account After Racial Abuse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by eedu247: 5:00am On Oct 05, 2011
Disciplinearian coach samson siasia has issued a fine of $5000 for not reporting to camp on .
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by semid4lyfe(m): 6:16am On Oct 05, 2011
Mikel hit with $5K fine
Posted: 2011-10-05 06:56
http://www.kickoff.com/news/24687/nigeria-midfielder-john-mikel-obi-fined-for-late-arrival.php

Nigeria midfielder John Mikel Obi has been fined $5000 for failing to meet a Tuesday deadline to report to the Nigeria team camp.

The Super Eagles have a decisive 2012 African Nations Cup qualifier against Guinea and players were given a lunchtime deadline on Tuesday to report.

All except Mikel did. The Chelsea star called to ask for an extra day to take care of family issues.

The request did not go down well with team officials and a decision was taken to slap a hefty fine on the player.

Mikel will now arrive on Wednesday, but has already missed two training sessions.

Since taking over, Samson Siasia has clamped down hard on indiscipline within the squad, leading to widely-publicised issues with players.

But his style has support from the majority o fthe squad, and his immediate bosses at the NFF.

And for the first time in recallable memory, all but one player had reported to the team hotel within 24 hours of camp opening.
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by mikeywise(m): 7:19am On Oct 05, 2011
Dats a welcomed development, atleast other players can learn from that.
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by halfcurrent(m): 8:08am On Oct 05, 2011
should have been more. Chicken feeds for him. kudos siasia!
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Grassroot: 9:22am On Oct 05, 2011
This is a welcome development to discipline the players. Just some reservations. The fine should be a standard, not just a one time incident. Why $5K? If a player from Eyimba arrives late to camp, would be be fined $5k? Or is it because we all know his salary? I just think there should be a baseline for such fines and they should be standardized.
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Funkymallam(m): 9:25am On Oct 05, 2011
Mikel just arrived d camp, this morning before breakfast.
Way to go Sia1, for d first time we r having a full house within 24hrs. All siasia haters, u just got to luv his style
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by omar22(m): 10:21am On Oct 05, 2011
This is a welcome development to discipline the players. Just some reservations. The fine should be a standard, not just a one time incident. Why $5K? If a player from Eyimba arrives late to camp, would be be fined $5k? Or is it because we all know his salary? I just think there should be a baseline for such fines and they should be standardized.

This is what I dont understand, Obi left Chelsea's training base in surrey Sunday evening and why is he just showing up? Fabio Capello put on his list on sunday evening and Everyone has to be present on Monday morning NO EXCUSE (unless you have a very good one) this is the culture during the Siasia and Keshi days Walking into the eagles camp a day to go, and its good that Siasia is trying to abolish those bad habits! Their was a day Newcastle released Martins and he didnt even show up at the eagles camp. What would be the eyimba's players excuse for arriving at to the camp? I could say ok every player that played on Sunday to arrival on Tuesday but any player playing in the Nigerian League has no excuse! I could remember a crucial qualifying game for the 1986 world cup against Tunisia when players arrived the eagles camp a day before the game only had one training session, for the 1990 WC the president of Cameroun sent a private jet to pick Thomas Nkono, but Naija players like Kanu, Okocha nad Co arrive in Nigeria go into town look for babes have a nice time then arrive at the eagles camp 2 days before the game,
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by bisiaet: 10:39am On Oct 05, 2011
I like Siasia style and I will just wish people can support him in his way of trying to bring back discipline to our national team without deceiving ourselves we all know our national team is just something else when it comes to discipline and it was all Nigerians wishes that the football house should bring back discipline and now it has began I think we should all support Siasia to achieve this and I belief our game will change for good.

The job might not be done to finish so soon but gradually they will reach their. As per the fine on placed Mikel I havent read anything about that yet so I can not comment on what has yet to be confirm. I just wish them all the best on Saturday.
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by mallorca(m): 10:58am On Oct 05, 2011
Go Eagles
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Knight1(m): 12:02pm On Oct 05, 2011
sia1 strict attitude is beginning to border on harsh. soon the players will arrive on time, do all he tells them without any genuine respect or relationship with him. even when he makes mistakes that they can correct, they'll rather he took the fall.
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Sike(m): 12:14pm On Oct 05, 2011
mallorca:

Go Eagles
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by otokx(m): 2:06pm On Oct 05, 2011
Hope he learns from this
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by 12large1: 2:12pm On Oct 05, 2011
Why u guys praising siasia. Wat if mikel had a big family problem. So u would just rob him for 3milla. Dude even called to say he will be late
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by nsiadi: 2:48pm On Oct 05, 2011
Please lets balance the reactions, Mikel was 1st to arrive camp last time
Let whoever has superior fact prove this wrong

This time around he called to say he will be late, quite courteous
He even mentioned reason for permission, not a flimsy one!

Unless he is being punished for previous offence(s), he is definitely clean here
Discipline , ok, but must not be @ all cost. Never gun 4 Pyrrhic victory

Folks note that discipline isnt the only input needed for good outing
Do other things right & discipline will fall in line

Who licks the wound now on Vincent, even after he has apologized?
We must be v realistic-Sia 1 shd prepare to flee Naija if we lose2Guinea. Ask TB Joshu)
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 05, 2011
Knight1:

sia1 strict attitude is beginning to border on harsh. soon the players will arrive on time, do all he tells them without any genuine respect or relationship with him. even when he makes mistakes that they can correct, they'll rather he took the fall.
wow! i cant believe i just read it
seems you have forgotten the rubbish that yakubu and agali did at one of the tournaments we went for
seems you have forgotten the reason why despite Nigeria having all these blessed players we have never attained nor surpassed the feat achieved by the 94 team.
seems you have forgotten that a certain washed up player called his mates at the korea wc a bunch of junks(utter disrespect)
seems you have forgotten about all the shameless stuff that the super eagles have been associated with
people like you want to live in the past and enjoy the past but would not want to work to achieve what made the past wonderful
I am a mikel supporter but glad this was done cos "WE NEED DISCIPLINE IN OUR TEAMS"
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Oct 05, 2011
nsiadi:

Please lets balance the reactions, Mikel was 1st to arrive camp last time
Let whoever has superior fact prove this wrong

This time around he called to say he will be late, quite courteous
He even mentioned reason for permission, not a flimsy one!

Unless he is being punished for previous offence(s),  he is definitely clean here
Discipline , ok, but must not be @ all cost. Never gun 4 Pyrrhic victory

Folks note that discipline isnt the only input needed for good outing
Do other things right & discipline will fall in line

Who licks the wound now on Vincent, even after he has apologized?
We must be v realistic-Sia 1 shd prepare to flee Naija if we lose2Guinea. Ask TB Joshu)

readit wrong at 1st
based on what u have said,it still does not mean he shouldntt come early this time
do you know how many players will use that excuse if siasia had just let it slip?
the coach has to appear tough on his principles hence why i think the fee was just 5k dols
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Dsage1: 4:33pm On Oct 05, 2011
Time wi come wen all d key players in d s.eagle team wi no longer honor siasia invitation.A gud coach dnt always emphasis on disciplin but makes his players kno wat pple ar expect 4m dem&how important d match is.We all kno Enyeama as a gud GK&despite a series of apology 4m dis guy,siasia sti rfuse to accept him back to d team,siasia is gradually kill dis team in d name of disciplin.
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by chimaike: 5:16pm On Oct 05, 2011
D sage:

Time wi come wen all d key players in d s.eagle team wi no longer honor siasia invitation.A gud coach dnt always emphasis on disciplin but makes his players kno wat pple ar expect 4m dem&how important d match is.We all kno Enyeama as a gud GK&despite a series of apology 4m dis guy,siasia sti rfuse to accept him back to d team,siasia is gradually kill dis team in d name of disciplin.

Sia is just too hard, with his father and son attitude.
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 05, 2011
chima ike:

Sia is just too hard, with his father and son attitude.
D sage:

both of you,name one nation that is up there in football that has problems with indiscipline
it is inbred in Nigerians as a whole and standards have to be set and met not seen to be met for if he had let mikel go,then does it justify osas and enyeama's punishments?you dont deal with 2 and let 1 go scot free most especially since most Nigerians see mikel and some few playrs as siasia's boys
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Knight1(m): 9:17pm On Oct 05, 2011
milehigh06:

both of you,name one nation that is up there in football that has problems with indiscipline
it is inbred in Nigerians as a whole and standards have to be set and met not seen to be met for if he had let mikel go,then does it justify osas and enyeama's punishments?you dont deal with 2 and let 1 go scot free most especially since most Nigerians see mikel and some few playrs as siasia's boys

they aren't disciplined because they are scared of the coach!!!
they are because they've been made to understand the importance of their punctuality.
if Mikel truly called ahead, then SIa is way out of line with the fine; he's just trying to show that he's tough
as someone asked, would he fine an eyimba player at all sef? he'd probably just leave out the dude from the team

and to answer your questions,
if you think the only reason we have not achieved glory all these while is indiscipline, you need to wake up bro!!
what tactical benefit did berti vogts provide? or lars lagerback? or even Christian Chukwu? ehn!!!!!
or you have forgotten the politics of the NFA? installing players on coaches?
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 05, 2011
Knight1:

they aren't disciplined because they are scared of the coach!!!
they are because they've been made to understand the importance of their punctuality.
if Mikel truly called ahead, then SIa is way out of line with the fine; he's just trying to show that he's tough
as someone asked, would he fine an eyimba player at all sef? he'd probably just leave out the dude from the team

and to answer your questions,
if you think the only reason we have not achieved glory all these while is indiscipline, you need to wake up bro!!
what tactical benefit did berti vogts provide? or lars lagerback? or even Christian Chukwu? ehn!!!!!
or you have forgotten the politics of the NFA? installing players on coaches
?

indiscipline as a whole was our major problem,indiscipline of all magnitude from NFA/NFFwhich led to them hiring coaches who lack tactical discipline due to them being bribed which led to the NFF imposing their stalwarts on these coaches that led to no respect for the coaches because they had a God Father at the glass house
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by nsiadi: 11:49pm On Oct 05, 2011
We all know the import of discipline
But what shd be registered is the negative consequence of wrong measures

Discipline, like most management tools, shd be applied tactically
Bruising everybody in disguise of rubbing-in discipline backfires

These boys are still young & their career shd not be destroyed
As human beings they can show annoyance in various manners, Try carrot @times

There are better ways of handling bad situations
Using sledge hammers when tappings will do is unprofessional

Generating bad blood isnt the best
The moment Sia 1 will realise he has enemies in the waiting is when he runs into problem

Its wrong to categorize Mikel`s case as indiscipline, We all remember his dad`s recent case
Its wrong to cover-up by saying he will be castigated if he spares Mikel, having axed Osaze & Vincent b4

I believe Sia 1 called in 2 ask Mikel the problem that kept him away
I hope he didnt feel it was womanish to do such.

I sincerely hope our darling coach knows how 2 douse bad feelings
I also hope he has a sound psychologist
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Gbenge77(m): 12:22am On Oct 06, 2011
To be honest,i dont think mikel has a role to play in the new se.His laickadasical approach to games really infuriates me.
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by evatee(m): 12:36am On Oct 06, 2011
whose purse wld d fine (5kpd) paid into?
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Dsage1: 12:58am On Oct 06, 2011
@milehigh0,u're wrong,actually indiscipline is bad but wen com to football,a gud coach wi neva punish his key players by excluding dem especially wen he has a must win match ahead.It common among d football stars to reported late to d camp/to bhav in one way or d oda.A gud coach wi treated,defend,value&indirecly respect his key men especially if such player serve as a motivation 4 d oda players in d team.E.g,FERGUSON&Ronaldo/roony,MANCCINI&balotteli,MURINHO&ronaldo, GUDINOLA&messi/xavi/inieta jst to mentn a few.I wi refer u to dis movie (TROY)look at wat happen btw achilis a fighter&agameme d (king)& listen to wat Odycius says wen d king rfuse to make peace wit achillis,hear him(i didnt care abt d mans allegiance but his ability to won d battle) .Rmemba also it's performance/wining dats counted in football,
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by cheikh: 1:10am On Oct 06, 2011
@op
What will the fine for home based players be if they default given that they don't earn enough like the overseas players ? I hope the so called fine is standardised and not an arbitrarily concocted rule undecided informed by greed or rip-off of a foreign based player by inept administrators of Nigerian football.
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Olalekan0(m): 1:24am On Oct 06, 2011
The ultimate goal and dream of every young nigerian of mikel's background is to attain financial success and evade poverty,and this,the young man has exceedingly done;we all know what he rakes in,  every thursday.                  

Mikel is the weakest link at his west london club,neither has he been impressive in the handfull of games he starred in for the national team,he  deliberately stayed away from over 80 percent of all the matches he's been invited to play in,isn't it obvious the man from the plateau isn't interested in playing for nigeria? He's made his money and isn't concerned about laurels or glory. Why do nigerian coaches still extend invitations to him?
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by itiswell1(m): 6:26am On Oct 06, 2011
Nobody is indispensable.
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by 1025: 5:14pm On Oct 06, 2011
The ultimate goal and dream of every young nigerian of mikel's background is to attain financial success and evade poverty,and this,the young man has exceedingly done;we all know what he rakes in, every thursday.

Mikel is the weakest link at his west london club,neither has he been impressive in the handfull of games he starred in for the national team,he deliberately stayed away from over 80 percent of all the matches he's been invited to play in,isn't it obvious the man from the plateau isn't interested in playing for nigeria? He's made his money and isn't concerned about laurels or glory. Why do nigerian coaches still extend invitations to him?

@Olalekan 0,
in the same way, we know ppl of your mindset what they can do to progressives like mikel. if you are not a misguided informant, how come u say mikel is not interested in laurels? mikel two seasons ago had two medals and is fighting to get some more yet greed will never let you mention that.

$5k from mikel is good if that will change the super eagles and nigeria as a whole. these players are not slaves as to swallow whatever siasia says, hook, line and sinker.

we have heard abt players yet to receive their match bonuses for sa2010 and govt have released all since. we hear about bad treatments by our FA against these players. chinedu ogbuke was injured in sa2010 and was out of football for 4 months with no single official putting a call across to ask how are u doing? who protects the interests of these players if enyema gets the axe for voicing out his opinion? how long will this last? siasia can only put fears into these players without earning their respects. most times, caoches like siasis ends up between S.eagles and a local team.

mikel is more than able to pay the $5k fine but how many other players will if they are found in same situation? $5k is a good idea but is that the fine for late coming to eagles camp now or is it just for mikel? selective justice is always the thing of nigeria and nigerians otherwise, i will ask that siasia continue that way. we will come back here to ask questions if tomorrow another player did not get a fine or get something below what we hear now. let us not start what we cannot finish.

the way nigerians attack mikel and issues related to him is very very irritating. such hatred can only come from envt and jealousy. is it his fault that he is lucky? is mikel among these politicians that are messing our systems up and stealing our public funds. we are even lucky boko haram did not threaten to scatter the stadium because the match would have been made an indoor game. shame to nigeria. i know every player in the team will be manned by 20 policemen since the fear of boko haram has become the begining of wisdom.

i am glad that even Tu face Idibia has made it clear that "who God bless, no one can course" not even kidnappers.

to siasia, this fine is coming far too late because if he was this careful from the onset, we will not find ourselves in this tight angle now. all in all, we need a ticket whether mikel pays $1m or not. all the same, we are wishing the S. Eagles the best of lucks.
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 06, 2011
1025:

@Olalekan 0,
in the same way, we know ppl of your mindset what they can do to progressives like mikel. if you are not a misguided informant, how come u say mikel is not interested in laurels? mikel two seasons ago had two medals and is fighting to get some more yet greed will never let you mention that.

$5k from mikel is good if that will change the super eagles and nigeria as a whole. these players are not slaves as to swallow whatever siasia says, hook, line and sinker.

we have heard abt players yet to receive their match bonuses for sa2010 and govt have released all since. we hear about bad treatments by our FA against these players. chinedu ogbuke was injured in sa2010 and was out of football for 4 months with no single official putting a call across to ask how are u doing? who protects the interests of these players if enyema gets the axe for voicing out his opinion? how long will this last? siasia can only put fears into these players without earning their respects. most times, caoches like siasis ends up between S.eagles and a local team.

mikel is more than able to pay the $5k fine but how many other players will if they are found in same situation? $5k is a good idea but is that the fine for late coming to eagles camp now or is it just for mikel? selective justice is always the thing of nigeria and nigerians otherwise, i will ask that siasia continue that way. we will come back here to ask questions if tomorrow another player did not get a fine or get something below what we hear now. let us not start what we cannot finish.

the way nigerians attack mikel and issues related to him is very very irritating. such hatred can only come from envt and jealousy. is it his fault that he is lucky? is mikel among these politicians that are messing our systems up and stealing our public funds. we are even lucky boko haram did not threaten to scatter the stadium because the match would have been made an indoor game. shame to nigeria. i know every player in the team will be manned by 20 policemen since the fear of boko haram has become the begining of wisdom.

i am glad that even Tu face Idibia has made it clear that "who God bless, no one can course" not even kidnappers.

to siasia, this fine is coming far too late because if he was this careful from the onset, we will not find ourselves in this tight angle now. all in all, we need a ticket whether mikel pays $1m or not. all the same, we are wishing the S. Eagles the best of lucks.
GBAM! well said
Re: Mikel Obi Fines $5,000 For Not Meeting Eagles Camp Deadline. by TomFord: 11:48pm On Oct 06, 2011
Of all the responses given,eva tee spoke(or should i say wrote)my mind.who has the answer to the question?

(1) (Reply)

Why You Should Stop Playing Bet9ja. / Is This Nigeria's Official Jersey For 2018 World Cup (pictures) / DOWNLOAD VIDEO: Stoke City Vs Chelsea 0-4 Highlights & Goals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.