Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,714 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions (7787 Views)

13 New Governors Borrowed ₦‎226.8 Billion In Six Months – DMO / DMO Releases List Of Indebted States And How Much They Owe / Lagos State Has Highest Foreign Debt In The Country- DMO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 05, 2023
Why won't they list bonds for sale?

The government is eagerly scrambling for all available avenues to squeeze the Nigerian public of more monies.

You'll put your small millions into investing in Nigerian bonds that will mature for harvest by 2025 at a lowly 9 percent interest rate, and by the time it matures in two years, inflation has completely eroded the value of whatever gains you think you should have made. While the government on the other hand, would have further put your millions into funding their egregious and expensive lifestyles, because there is the very strong possibility the monies won't be put into proper investment initiatives.

Na mumu dey buy Nigerian bonds at this very volatile period wey Nigerian currency dey get mood swings pass woman wey dey menstruate!

3 Likes

Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by Angelfrost(m): 2:22pm On Jul 05, 2023
I wonder why this insignificant office is still in existence or still retaining the same useless staff!

How can a Debt Management office allow the nation to get sunk into an irrecoverable debt with nothing to show for it??!

So, what debt have you managed or helped reduce that should necessitate your existence??!

1 Like

Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by BreconHills(m): 2:26pm On Jul 05, 2023
Slawomir:
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

Although am not a business oriented person just a keyboard warrior, drunkard, weed smoker and a pussy banger
But at all at all I understand say na still how federal government want dey borrow money and how them want dey pay the money back later plus additional interest...which means if you lend or invest in Nigeria bond you nor go fear say them nor go fit pay back

So which still boils down to the fact that tinubu's administration is gonna be a disaster

Nigeria has never defaulted on a sovereign bond and it will never happen. Bond payments are a first-line charge on the federation account.
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by waledeji(m): 2:33pm On Jul 05, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

Although am not a business oriented person just a keyboard warrior, drunkard, weed smoker and a pussy banger

1 Like

Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by Danshehu: 2:33pm On Jul 05, 2023
bigdammyj:
Noted.
Good
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:56pm On Jul 05, 2023
Igwe9:
With the current inflation rate, 9% and 10% respectively are not offers to jump on.

Exactly.
I ignored it yesterday when my stockbroker sent it to my email.
The ROI no make sense
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:59pm On Jul 05, 2023
TheBillyonaire:
Bond is less than 11% while inflation at 22%.

Does it make sense?

It doesn't make any sense
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by tremilatre(m): 3:47pm On Jul 05, 2023
The Nigerian economy doesn't follow any economic metric. High inflation with very little money in circulation and a devalued naira. Yet FG wants to mop up naira by issuing savings bonds. Its a funny case grin
Though intrest rate is low, I'm actually considering investing as the returns is at least 5 times the rate I'd get if I invested in UK bonds. And that's even adjusting for further devaluation of the naira.
Essentially, nothing to lose.

2 Likes

Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by NamelessOGBENI(m): 3:50pm On Jul 05, 2023
Ezewilliams177:
It will favor me and my family
Amen.

saintjimos:
I rather do business with my money
Sadly, this is what we've been reduced to, most people out there lack faith in the government of the day. I wouldn't blame them either, everybody is trying to keep the heads high above waters now.

basilo102:
Someone should explain in layman's terms.
I go borrow government money for some time after everywhere don bust, them go pay my money with small jara (that thing wey oyinbo dey call interest)
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:56pm On Jul 05, 2023
Buddha3:
Why won't they list bonds for sale?

The government is eagerly scrambling for all available avenues to squeeze the Nigerian public of more monies.

You'll put your small millions into investing in Nigerian bonds that will mature for harvest by 2025 at a lowly 9 percent interest rate, and by the time it matures in two years, inflation has completely eroded the value of whatever gains you think you should have made. While the government on the other hand, would have further put your millions into funding their egregious and expensive lifestyles, because there is the very strong possibility the monies won't be put into proper investment initiatives.

Na mumu dey buy Nigerian bonds at this very volatile period wey Nigerian currency dey get mood swings pass woman wey dey menstruate!

I hate bonds with passion.

Money market funds are better than bonds.

Very annoying interest rate.

1 Like

Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:56pm On Jul 05, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Exactly.
I ignored it yesterday when my stockbroker sent it to my email.
The ROI no make sense

Correct man!
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 05, 2023
ferhyntorlah:

I hate bonds with passion.

Money market funds are better than bonds.

Very annoying interest rate.

I still find it hard to make sense of the reason(s) any middle class Nigerian will put his/her sweat into buying government bonds.

It's like tying down a lump sum of money for a lengthy period of time to be getting 9percent interest every 3 months, when the government is using that same money to put into personal investments that are fetching them even more profits.

Assume you buy those bonds with 2million naira at a 9percent interest rate to be harvested every 3 months. That implies that the government is sitting on your 2million naira and giving you about 180,000 naira every 3 months as your profits, when you can comfortably invest that lump sum on your own in one or two decent businesses and make that 180K in about a month or less.

I pretty much think it's just people who don't have the business acumen, that end up buying bonds cause they don't know how to save the money. And people who have too much of it that they can afford to have useless monies tied in bonds for safe-keep.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:31pm On Jul 05, 2023
Buddha3:

I still find it hard to make sense of the reason(s) any middle class Nigerian will put his/her sweat into buying government bonds.

It's like tying down a lump sum of money for a lengthy period of time to be getting 9percent interest every 3 months, when the government is using that same money to put into personal investments that are fetching them even more profits.

Assume you buy those bonds with 2million naira at a 9percent interest rate to be harvested every 3 months. That implies that the government is sitting on your 2million naira and giving you about 180,000 naira every 3 months as your profits, when you can comfortably invest that lump sum on your own in one or two decent businesses and make that 180K in about a month or less.

I pretty much think it's just people who don't have the business acumen, that end up buying bonds cause they don't know how to save the money. And people who have too much of it that they can afford to have useless monies tied in bonds for safe-keep.

Thanks for your input.

You need to realise that not everyone is business savvy or has a flair for business. Some prefer to keep their monies in low risk schemes like bond.

I see nothing wrong with it except the low interest rate. That's all

3 Likes

Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 05, 2023
ferhyntorlah:

Thanks for your input.

You need to realise that not everyone is business savvy or has a flair for business. Some prefer to keep their monies in low risk schemes like bond.

I see nothing wrong with it except the low interest rate. That's all

Well, I guess that figures.
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by rickleye: 7:25pm On Jul 05, 2023
So if I buy N100,000 worth
It will be 100,000 *9%*2 years /100
= 18,000N + 100,000 = N118,000

With 200,000 = just 36,000

With 300,000 = 54,000

500,000 = N90,000

It’s too low in my opinion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by jaytimeo: 8:54pm On Jul 05, 2023
What are you guys calculating on this thread @9% if you invest 1M you getting 90k per annum ,if you want to know what you would get per month pro rate it it’s about 0.75 less than 1% per month, so you getting 7500 *12=90k
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by Tobest94: 8:09am On Jul 06, 2023
Y’all complaining about interest rate and inflation. Government bonds are usually the safest and the lowest yield bonds. So 10% is low but that’s how it works when it’s government bond
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by RussellRutherfo: 8:24am On Jul 06, 2023
Igwe9:
With the current inflation rate, 9% and 10% respectively are not offers to jump on.

Except if one has none used huge amount of between 20million, 100million, 1 billion Naira then the 10% becomes really substantial.
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by Igwe9(m): 8:29am On Jul 06, 2023
RussellRutherfo:

Except if one has none used huge amount of between 20million, 100million, 1 billion Naira then the 10% becomes really substantial.

The snag here is inflation unless the subscription is in USD or Pounds. It is event better to invest in real estate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by RussellRutherfo: 8:30am On Jul 06, 2023
Igwe9:

Except if one has a substantial amount say 20million, 100million, 1 billion Naira then the 10% becomes significant.
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by Hassanmaye(m): 12:25am On Jul 07, 2023
Buddha3:

Wow
Re: DMO Okays FGN Savings Bonds For Transactions by Hassanmaye(m): 12:26am On Jul 07, 2023
rickleye:
So if I buy N100,000 worth
It will be 100,000 *9%*2 years /100
= 18,000N + 100,000 = N118,000

With 200,000 = just 36,000

With 300,000 = 54,000

500,000 = N90,000

It’s too low in my opinion.
Is too low and after 3 months with inflation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Speaks Again: Unmask Boko Haram Now / I Wish To See Buhari Embracing Jonathan - Orji Uzor Kalu / List Of Oil Well And Oil Block Owners In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.