Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,955 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections (1133 Views)

Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba / Man Graduates With 4.0CGPA In Masters In USA After Being Mocked By Dad's Friend / Warriboy Graduated With Distinction In Masters In I.T Indiana USA (pics)(vids) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by Oduok(m): 6:46am On Jul 07, 2023
I recently earned a Masters Degree (Distinction – 4.76/5.00) in Chemical/Petrochemical Engineering from Akwa Ibom State University. You can obtain your Masters there within three semesters if you are hardworking, 2 semesters for course work and 1 for research – totaling one year, six months minimum.

I did not enroll in Masters for the primary purpose of securing grades. The main driving force was expanding on my connections. As a matter of fact, I never checked my result throughout my course work. I had said to myself that if I have issues with any course I will hear by rumour. You know people spread your failure more than your success. Since I did not hear anything I suggested that I was not having issues. Results are not pasted on notice board at this level of education. It was when I was registering for my research semester that my PG coordinator hinted me that I made 5.0 in First semester and also performed excellently in the second. This motivated me a lot in pressing hard to make a mark in my research.

During coursework you count a lot on the background of your colleagues. Two among us were Chemical Engineering lecturers in Cross River and Anambra state respectively. Some were running their private consultancy. I own a private chemical formulation lab where I develop formulation for businesses for clients across Nigeria, South Africa, USA, Ghana, Columbia, Angola, Pakistan, India etc. I develop formulations for soaps, detergents, surfactants, antiseptics, cosmetics, paints, biofuels, marker ink/chalk, etc. I also consult on oil and gas processes. One of the students in the programme was my First degree classmate from department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, University of Uyo, the other was my National Diploma school mate who did Petoleum and Gas Processing Engineering Technology when I was studying Industrial Safety and Environmental Engineering Technology at Petroleum Training Institute, Effurun – we had now gotten Bachelor’s degree. We had someone from Landmark University and others from the host school. The team was awesome. I counted on this team. We worked together to tutor ourselves on softwares like MATLAB, HYSYS, Simulink, COMSOL which we met every now and then to model chemical processes during the coursework.

My research had been on developing a chemical to remediate petroleum spill in Niger Delta. To successfully carry out a Masters degree research require more than being intelligent – one needs to have access to institutions that matters. It was time build this links.

My first connection was my fiancé, onetime Miss Mfon Ebitu, a distinction graduate of Accountancy who later became my beloved wife before I completed my programme. Postgraduate research can be very lonely if you do not have a right partner by your side. She is everything a man needs to grow and develop in every facet of life. Oftentimes I would have to share my research findings with her in a one hour call till she sleeps off. If your work can convince an accountant as an Engineer then it can be bought by everyone else.

My main supervisor, Engr. Dr. Rasheed Babalola, is a fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers as well as fellow of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers. A very seasoned Engineer who has numerous papers in bioremediation of crude oil spill on Ogoni land. He was at that time the HOD, Chemical/Petrochemical Engineering, Akwa Ibom State University. My second supervisor, Prof. Oria Antia, is HOD, Food and Agricultural Engineering, University of Uyo. He specializes in designing of chemical processes. They gave me expert guidance on the work.

In order to get Industry insight to the work I had to broaden my horizon to meet other experts. I had a clue from Caam Engineering Limited, a company whom I came in contact with during my internship with Department of Petroleum Resources. They hold product registration permit on Oil Spill Dispersant from NOSDRA and DPR respectively. In my quest also, I met one of the directors in Akwa Ibom State Ministry of Science and Technology was at that time working on her PhD in remedation. Besides sharing her expertise knowledge with me I had access to using their facility for GC Analysis. She gave me link to an Environmental lab in Port Harcourt, Ebic Integrated Services Limited, where I continued with the tested on my methods using GC-FID and GCMS. I evaluated the progress of TPH, BTEX and PAH degradation with my formulated surfactant (Methyl Ester Sulphonated) tested on a pilot site.

Another blessing I had was the team of assessors. The internal Examiner, Dr. Imeh Okob, is an Associate Professor in the Department of Chemistry, Akwa Ibom State University. He holds a Ph.D degree in Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science from the University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom. He is an expert in method for the qualitative and quantitative assessment of the petroleum contaminants in soils of Niger Delta. I enjoyed his scrutiny. I spent a month in his hand before internal defence. Correcting and repositioning the work to meet both science and engineering standard. The external examiner, Dr. Ayoola A. Ayodeji, an Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering, Covenant University, specializes in environmental engineering and corrosion technology. I spent another month with him correcting the work to the latest details.

It was definitely not easy surviving the above squad. One thing that kept me going was a quote from the Bible, “And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things.” 1 Cor. 9:25. With this inner drive I was willing to give my all.

Today I happy I made it. Not just a Masters with Distinction. A Masters that has given me the needed exposure and technical skills to fit into roles in consulting, academia and industy.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by Nobody: 6:47am On Jul 07, 2023
Well done
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by TemplarLandry: 6:48am On Jul 07, 2023
I had 4.65.
All glory to God.
M.Sc ain't easy.

3 Likes

Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 07, 2023
Your heading is misleading

6 Likes

Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by donbachi(m): 6:57am On Jul 07, 2023
Obong owo
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 07, 2023
TemplarLandry:
I had 4.65.
All glory to God.
M.Sc ain't easy.
Stop lying
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 07, 2023
donbachi:
Obong owo
I smell third class from this comment
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by TemplarLandry: 7:14am On Jul 07, 2023
I swear.
IconicR:
Stop lying
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 07, 2023
TemplarLandry:
I swear.
What course
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by TemplarLandry: 7:16am On Jul 07, 2023
Not telling.
IconicR:
What course
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 07, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Not telling.
Then you were lying.
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by TemplarLandry: 7:18am On Jul 07, 2023
Funny.
IconicR:
Then you were lying.
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 07, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Funny.
One of those cheap courses I guess
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by Cassandraloius: 7:24am On Jul 07, 2023
Congratulations.

1 Like

Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by AgentGoat: 7:43am On Jul 07, 2023
IconicR:
One of those cheap courses I guess

No course is cheap.
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by christejames(m): 8:11am On Jul 07, 2023
Congratulations

I will reach that level someday!
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by christejames(m): 8:15am On Jul 07, 2023
IconicR:

He wants to drive traffic 🚥 here and he succeeded 😂
Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by FuckkMOD: 4:44pm On Jul 07, 2023
very misleading heading.
IconicR:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Confession: I Made Distinction In Masters Degree Through Connections by garyaustin(m): 7:34pm On Jul 07, 2023
Shocked to learn that Masters degree is now graded with DISTINCTION and others.

(1) (Reply)

Summer Programmes In Any Nigerian University: For Foreign Students? / Nuc Closes Lasu Campuses / Please Help! JAMB centres not yet confirmed till date!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.