Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,409 members, 7,846,736 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Biden: Ukraine Not Yet Ready For NATO (video) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Biden: Ukraine Not Yet Ready For NATO (video) (207 Views)

U.S Notified Russia Of Biden's Ukraine Visit (Photos) / USA Sent Spare Parts To Ukraine Not Whole Fighter Jets / Why Is Ukraine Not Going Offensive by attacking Moscow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biden: Ukraine Not Yet Ready For NATO (video) by Glimpsetv: 6:44pm On Jul 09, 2023
President Joe Biden stated in an exclusive interview with CNN that Ukraine's readiness for NATO membership is still lacking. He emphasized that the war in Ukraine instigated by Russia must come to an end before considering the addition of Kyiv to the alliance.

Speaking to CNN's Fareed Zakaria, Biden acknowledged that discussions about Ukraine's imminent NATO membership were premature. Nevertheless, the United States and its NATO allies would continue providing President Volodymyr Zelensky and his forces with the necessary security and weaponry to resolve the conflict with Russia.

Biden shared his thoughts with Zakaria ahead of his upcoming weeklong trip to Europe, which includes a NATO summit in Lithuania. The war in Ukraine and Zelensky's pursuit of NATO membership are expected to be significant topics at the gathering.

"I don't think there is unanimity in NATO about whether or not to bring Ukraine into the NATO family now, at this moment, in the middle of a war," Biden explained. "For example, if you did that, then, you know – and I mean what I say – we're determined to commit every inch of territory that is NATO territory. It's a commitment that we've all made no matter what. If the war is going on, then we're all in war. We're at war with Russia, if that were the case."

Biden revealed that he had extensive discussions with Zelensky on the matter, assuring the Ukrainian president that the US would continue providing security and weaponry, similar to the support given to Israel, throughout the ongoing process.

"I think we have to lay out a rational path for Ukraine to be able to qualify to be able to get into NATO," Biden remarked, emphasizing that he had rejected Russian President Vladimir Putin's pre-war demands not to admit Ukraine due to NATO's "open-door policy."

"But I think it's premature to say, to call for a vote, you know, in now because there are other qualifications that need to be met, including democratization and some of those issues," added Biden.

In the interview, Biden also mentioned that the US had decided to send cluster munitions to Ukraine for the first time to bolster their ammunition as they counter Russia's offensive. While acknowledging that providing Ukraine with controversial ammunition was a difficult decision, Biden deemed it necessary due to Ukraine's depleting ammunition supply.

The NATO meeting coincides with Sweden's pursuit of joining the Western alliance, a move facing opposition from Turkey and Hungary. Biden expressed optimism about Sweden's eventual NATO admission, highlighting that Turkey, a key holdout, aims to modernize its F-16 fleet, and Greece has voted in favor of Sweden's inclusion.

"Turkey is looking for modernization of F-16 aircraft. And (Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos) Mitsotakis in Greece is also looking for some help," Biden stated. "And so, what I'm trying to, quite frankly, put together is a little bit of a consortium here, where we're strengthening NATO in terms of the military capacity of both Greece as well as Turkey and allow Sweden to come in. But it's in play. It's not done."

During the wide-ranging interview, Biden and Zakaria delved into other crucial foreign policy challenges, such as China, Saudi Arabia, and Israel.

Regarding China, Biden expressed confidence in Chinese President Xi Jinping's aspirations to surpass the US in terms of the largest economy and military capabilities. However, he believed that the US could establish a cooperative relationship with China.

"I think there is a way to resolve, to establish a working relationship with China that benefits them and us," Biden asserted. He also mentioned discussing with Xi the impact of Russia's actions in Ukraine on foreign investments, cautioning China to be mindful of the consequences.

Biden mentioned that Xi did not dispute his concerns and acknowledged that China has not fully supported Russia.

"He talks about nuclear war being a disaster, there is such a thing as security that's needed," Biden commented on the Chinese leader. "So, I think there's a way we can work through this."

When asked about inviting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to the White House, Biden disclosed that he was expecting a visit from Israel's President Isaac Herzog. In March, Biden had criticized Netanyahu for his proposed judicial reforms, creating a rare public disagreement between the two allies.

Biden reiterated his belief in a two-state solution for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and criticized certain members of Netanyahu's cabinet for their stance on Israeli settlements in the West Bank.

"It's not all Israel now in the West Bank, all Israel's problem, but they are a part of the problem, and particularly those individuals in the cabinet who say, 'We can settle anywhere we want. They have no right to be here, etc.,'" Biden remarked. "And I think we were talking with them regularly, trying to tamp down what's going on and hopefully, Bibi will continue to move toward moderation and change."

Furthermore, Biden defended his previous visit to Saudi Arabia, citing several accomplishments, such as enabling Israeli overflights over Saudi airspace. Regarding the Saudi request for a defense treaty and civilian nuclear capacity, Biden indicated that it was a distant prospect.

"Whether or not we would provide a means by which they can have civilian nuclear power, and/or be a guarantor of their security – I think that's a little way off," Biden explained.
Source: CNN https:///iNx84Zc7r4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6qPwOHFGbc
Re: Biden: Ukraine Not Yet Ready For NATO (video) by BNewsNg: 6:48pm On Jul 09, 2023
What measure has US taken to end the War except weaponry provision. What a way to end a fight
Re: Biden: Ukraine Not Yet Ready For NATO (video) by Onucs(m): 6:49pm On Jul 09, 2023
I knew it.

Almighty America is gonna get tired one day and abandon Ukraine in a senseless war they orchestrated.

The worst mistake any country can ever make is to think the US has got their back. They are the most selfish and self centered group of people on earth.

Please recommend a good resource for learning forex trading if you know any🙏

2 Likes

Re: Biden: Ukraine Not Yet Ready For NATO (video) by a4cube: 6:51pm On Jul 09, 2023
If only Zelensky get sense, he will twama. Datsall.
Re: Biden: Ukraine Not Yet Ready For NATO (video) by izonborn098(m): 6:58pm On Jul 09, 2023
Re: Biden: Ukraine Not Yet Ready For NATO (video) by marlow1962(m): 6:59pm On Jul 09, 2023
I wish say i fit chop the kind blood money wer zelensky dy chop from us sad
Re: Biden: Ukraine Not Yet Ready For NATO (video) by jumper524(m): 7:01pm On Jul 09, 2023
The level of inconsistency in the international scene is troublesome and the level of fake news from them is also alarming.
Finland is no longer joining nato as planned so also theyve realised they are having more losses than gain in Ukraine.
All those old rumours of biden to die cos of disease are now history.
I can't beleive any international news again.
Re: Biden: Ukraine Not Yet Ready For NATO (video) by Glimpsetv: 10:21am On Jul 10, 2023
jumper524:
The level of inconsistency in the international scene is troublesome and the level of fake news from them is also alarming.
Finland is no longer joining nato as planned so also theyve realised they are having more losses than gain in Ukraine.
All those old rumours of biden to die cos of disease are now history.
I can't beleive any international news again.

The more you look, the less you see!

(1) (Reply)

Watch Gabon Citizens Hail Soldiers, Celebrate Military Takeover (video) / Gabon And 6 Other Sub-saharan African Countries That Recently Witnessed Coup / Elon Musk To Provide Internet Service In Gaza

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.