Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,998 members, 7,810,777 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:14 PM

Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria (10140 Views)

Naira Rises By 7.7% As Official Exchange Rate Close At ₦‎1,142/$ / Foreign Portfolio Participation In Equity Trading In 2022: Highest Foreign Trans / Etisalat Loan: 10 Banks’ Provision For Loans Loss Rises By 3% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by LegendHero(m): 1:37pm On Jul 10, 2023
Nigeria attracted a sum of $222.3 million in portfolio investments into the equity market in the first quarter of 2023.

This represents a 4,472% rise from the immediate past quarter, the 4th quarter of 2022.

This data is coming from the National Bureau of Statistics Capital Importation report for the first quarter of the year.

FPI Equity Surge: In the whole of 2022 Nigeria only attracted $56 million in foreign portfolio investments (FPI) in equity as investors stayed out of the country due to its forex policies.

Thus by the first quarter of this year, inflow into FPI equities has surpassed what was achieved in the whole of 2023. However, the successful 2023 elections appear to have swayed investors as they bid a return into the equities market.

On the flip side, FPI in equities was $639.7 million or $656 million in the first quarter of 2019 and 2020 respectively.

Other FPI: Meanwhile, capital importation into bonds and money market instruments also doubled to $426 million in the first quarter of 2023 compared to $280 million reported in the 4th quarter of the year.

However, FPI inflows into bonds, and the money market was $925 million in the first quarter of 2022.

In fact, FPI into the money market fell 79.5% YoY in the first quarter of 2023 suggesting investors saw yields as unattractive.

Yields in the money market instruments currently trade at below inflation rate as investors continue to grapple with negative real returns.

Source: https://nairametrics.com/2023/07/10/nigerias-foreign-portfolio-investment-in-equities-rose-4472-to-223-million-in-first-quarter-of-2023/

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Massiveglory: 1:39pm On Jul 10, 2023
Throw this audio propaganda inside aso rock dust bin.
The country is in a huge mess. The suffering in the land is on somalia level.

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by 001Lagos: 1:40pm On Jul 10, 2023
They've bought the media on there side to spread lies and propaganda

How much is naira to a dollar today in the market ?

Clowns 🤡🤡

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by LegendHero(m): 1:41pm On Jul 10, 2023
Massiveglory:
Throw this audio propaganda inside aso rock dust bin.
The country is in a huge mess. The suffering in the land is on somalia level.

Stop crying. The government is just 1 month and few weeks.

To build a country, it doesn’t take only 2 month. When the FG start rolling out the necessary program that’ll serve as palliative to the people, things will start to change.

All this indices you are seeing are what contributes to stability in the long run. Relax and stop being an angry bird over every positive Nigeria news.

67 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Massiveglory: 1:43pm On Jul 10, 2023
LegendHero:

1 month and 4 wks and it is already on somalia level. Hunger wan kee you , you are here pushing useless propaganda of a criminal mandate.
Dem swear for you ni?

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by LegendHero(m): 1:44pm On Jul 10, 2023
Massiveglory:

1 month and 4 wks and it is already on somalia level. Dem swear for you?

You mean Biafra is on Somalia level?

If Nigeria is on Somalia level, you wouldn’t even have life breathing in you to come and type jargons on Nairaland.

If the news was bad, you would have been wailing and calling Tinubu name. Now the news is good, you’re still crying like an angry bird.

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Massiveglory: 1:47pm On Jul 10, 2023
LegendHero:

You mean Biafra is on Somalia level?

If Nigeria is on Somalia level, you wouldn’t even have life breathing in you to come and type jargons on Nairaland.

If the news was bad, you would have been wailing and calling Tinubu name. Now the news is good, you’re still crying like an angry bird.
Bag of cement is now 5200. Laslas You will soon sell father's house and land for biafra people.
Dem go soon buy am, throw you for street.
You go still finish the money as na baba ijebu and bet 9ja you go use am do.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Kukutenla: 1:57pm On Jul 10, 2023
LegendHero:

To build a country, it doesn’t take only 2 month. When the FG start rolling out the necessary program that’ll serve as palliative to the people, things will start to change.

All this indices you are seeing are what contributes to stability in the long run. Relax and stop being an angry bird over every positive Nigeria news.

What is positive news over portfolio investments rising to 222m from 495m in 2019 even under Baba Sala bubu?
Seems you don't know what portfolio investments are

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by omoadeleye(m): 1:58pm On Jul 10, 2023
Nice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Flets: 1:59pm On Jul 10, 2023
1. 1Q23 was still Buhari's government

2. Its common sense to know that no serious portfolio will invest in Nigeria at the moment because of the forex instability and economic uncertainties with the current FG policies.

3. The anticipated stabilization of the naira with free floating has backfired because the demand outweighed supply. CBN is currently urging IOCs to sell to banks to aid supply ..... unfortunately that will be insufficient. The Naira devaluation will continue until CBN finally intervenes with halting the free floating. Dont argue .... just keep watching

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by MrSly(m): 2:00pm On Jul 10, 2023
LegendHero:

We once had such patience for Buhari. Now the drug Lord is definitely up to corruption.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Sablexxxtoons: 2:00pm On Jul 10, 2023
Jagaban effect

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by VenExchangee: 2:00pm On Jul 10, 2023
Kudos to those who didn't even understand
Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by LegendHero(m): 2:03pm On Jul 10, 2023
MrSly:

We once had such patience for Buhari. Now the drug Lord is definitely up to corruption.

He learnt the drug business from Obi of Onitsha. The warrant Chief you people call Igwe.

I heard Obi will soon sell his palace to Tinubu so he can use it for his new drug hub.

That’s why thousands of Anambra youth are languishing in prisons abroad for drug trafficking. Tinubu carefully orchestrated that.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by WHITELIGHTER: 2:03pm On Jul 10, 2023
Sablexxxtoons:
Jagaban effect

Get sense Na....how does this reflect on the street? Is bag of rice now ₦10k or tomato now 20 seeds for ₦100 or is gas now ₦150/kg?
All this propaganda won't help anyone, not even Ur mother in village

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Kukutenla: 2:03pm On Jul 10, 2023
The rise can simply be the reason for the bullish run the SE has been having. It may not yield anything tangible. If it were FDI, which this present govt is obviously targeting, it might be something to be glad about
Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by LegendHero(m): 2:05pm On Jul 10, 2023
Kukutenla:
The rise can simply be due to the bullish run the SE has been having. It may not yield anything tangible. If it were FDI, which this present govt is obviously targeting, it might be something to be glad about

What is the bullish run the SE has been having? I want to know.

Soon FDI will increase and you haters will find another excuse to project your hatred.

If it had been that FPI reduced 4421%, ya’ll would have been fuming and cussssing out Tinubu.

Nothing wey man fit do for this life wey go satisfy him haters.

What you don’t know is that, Nigeria need liquidity asap and this FPI increase will help drive that in the short term. You’ll soon see increased trading volume reflect in the financial market

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Kukutenla: 2:08pm On Jul 10, 2023
Flets:

2. Its common sense to know that no serious portfolio will invest in Nigeria at the moment because of the forex instability and economic uncertainties with the current FG policies.

3. The anticipated stabilization of the naira with free floating has backfired because the demand outweighed supply. CBN is currently urging IOCs to sell to banks to aid supply ..... unfortunately that will be insufficient. The Naira devaluation will continue until CBN finally intervenes with halting the free floating. Dont argue .... just keep watching
That's why I've been asking what's next after devaluing the naira and subsidy removal and none of the supporters can answer. Even they don't know. They are just doing siddon look like football spectators

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Kukutenla: 2:12pm On Jul 10, 2023
LegendHero:

What is the bullish run the SE has been having? I want to know.

Soon FDI will increase and you haters will find another excuse to project your hatred.

If it had been that FPI reduced 4421%, ya’ll would have been fuming and cussssing out Tinubu.

Nothing wey man fit do for this life wey go satisfy him haters.

What you don’t know is that, Nigeria need liquidity asap and this FPI increase will help drive that in the short term. You’ll soon see increased trading volume reflect in the financial market
Nigeria needs liquidity? Are we insolvent? Because with this level of inflation and over 22trn printed in the last eight years, I doubt liquidity is our problem except you mean forex liquidity.

There's still reason to curse Tinubu if that's what you're concerned about since this report is Q1 2023 which ended in March this year.

If and when FDI increase, there'll still be reason to curse him because it will not improve our currency which is helplessly in ICU.

So curse plenty for ground for am

Oh and FPI will not increase liquidity because FPI are mostly stocks and bonds and not cash. That's why I mentioned SE.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by iLoveYouToo(m): 2:12pm On Jul 10, 2023
Let us wait for the witchcraft geng come and tell us otherwise. Na their work

I'm 100% positive this government won't fail like the immediate past one

1 Like

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by keymatt(m): 2:14pm On Jul 10, 2023
Zombies/agbado u.rchins are now celebrating Portfolio investment. The same portfolio investors they condemned during GEJ's govt. grin grin grin
This people no get shame at all. 🤣 🤣 🤣

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by DeTribalisedCit: 2:16pm On Jul 10, 2023
First quarter of the year = January to March 2023.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 10, 2023
Flets:

Nigerians who have been tasked with brandishing the propaganda machinery of the APC and this current administration, know next to nothing.

In a bid to harmonise the dollar exchange rates at all levels, Tinubu decided to pull his first governmental experiment with the floating of the dollar against the naira. How he consciously sat down and reasoned that floating a currency whose availability you have no control of was the right move, just smirks of stupendous economic buffoonery.

Now the demand for that currency is through the roof, while your apex bank cannot even meet up this demand for imports and exports businessmen. We're not even talking about Nigerians schooling in the diaspora yet and what they need to fund their tuitions. And as it stands, any right thinking person will realise that this very policy is going to take a tumble in the days ahead. But in the heads of APC supporters, their god pulled a masterstroke.

The hunger is just beginning!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by EmeeNaka: 2:17pm On Jul 10, 2023
Lol
That's during Buhari government.
1st quater is January till March.
We want to know what will happen this 2nd quater
Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by LegendHero(m): 2:19pm On Jul 10, 2023
Kukutenla:

Nigeria needs liquidity? Are we insolvent? Because with this level of inflation and over 22trn printed in the last eight years, I doubt liquidity is our problem except you mean forex liquidity.

There's still reason to curse Tinubu if that's what you're concerned about since this report is Q1 2023 which ended in March this year.

If and when FDI increase, there'll still be reason to curse him because it will not improve our currency which is helplessly in ICU.

So curse plenty for ground for am

Oh and FPI will not increase liquidity because FPI are mostly stocks and bonds and not cash. That's why I mentioned SE.

The bolded shows you don’t know what you are saying.

You agreed that FPI means foreign investors are buying bonds and stocks in Nigeria market.

To buy those stock and bond, they need to convert their dollar to naira right?

When they convert their dollar to naira in the local FOREX market, there will be an increase in the supply of dollar in the market.

The increase supply of $$ relative to the demand will lead to the strengthening of the naira against the dollar in the long term if the FPI continue to pour in.

What that mean is that naira can be at least strengthened a bit. Isn’t that what we wanted?

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Angelfrost(m): 2:23pm On Jul 10, 2023
Kukutenla:

What is positive news over portfolio investments rising to 222m from 495m in 2019 even under Baba Sala bubu?
Seems you don't know what portfolio investments are

Everything is positive to them...! You shouldn't blame them. They have staked a lot into this gamble of a tenure! cool

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by bigiyaro(m): 2:24pm On Jul 10, 2023
LegendHero:

shift jare, stability in the long run my arse..when are suffering and you are talking of long run. Even American have social insurance, child support, meal tickets and those all other stuffs that ease the pains of the masses while this kind sh**t goes on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by pafra(m): 2:26pm On Jul 10, 2023
LegendHero:

You can't beat a child and not ask him to cry.
You may be doing well and comfortable God bless you.

The suffering on the street is much. I wish you know what the Masses are passing through. I have to be emotional this morning on my way to work.

Please, for now, allow everybody to express himself. Remember that all the praise or blame falls on leadership.

Politic is over people are facing reality for now

1 Like

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by Kukutenla: 2:27pm On Jul 10, 2023
LegendHero:

The bolded shows you don’t know what you are saying.
When i wrote SE, I was referring to stock exchange and not south east your usual whipping boys. That's were most of your FPI goes into so i don't see how that improves liquidity except if govt is floating new bonds which I have not seen happen.
Why did you think Dangote shut up by over $200m after losing first place due to naira devaluation? Where did you think that value came from?
Besides, like I said, Nigerian economy is not having liquidity issues. We're actually having excess liquidity reason why Emefiele was busy jacking up interest rates.

Modified:
Check what I wrote. I specifically pointed out it could improve forex liquidity which is what your primary 2 explanation is pointing towards and not liquidity in terms of cash movement in the economy which is what is ordinarily meant by liquidity.
But when you realise you're talking of only $222m, you'll realise you're only rejoicing over a drop in the ocean when compared to about $12bn forex demand we require.
That's why I said FDI would have been much better because it increases both forex liquidity and liquidity.
Besides, your report is for Q1 2023 which is January-March this year so you're soo off the mark in your aim which is to zombiecally bootlick your master.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by LegendHero(m): 2:30pm On Jul 10, 2023
Kukutenla:

When i wrote SE, I was referring to stock exchange and not south east your usual whipping boys. That's were most of your FPI goes into so i don't see how that improves liquidity except if govt is floating new bonds which I have not seen happen.
Why did you think Dangote shut up by over $200m after losing first place due to naira devaluation? Where did you think that value came from?
Besides, like I said, Nigerian economy is not having liquidity issues. We're actually having excess liquidity reason why Emefiele was busy jacking up interest rates.

Check the post, I explained it to you like a primary 2 student.

Now explain to me textbook or real life theory states that FPI do not impact liquidity based on my first comment.

You agreed that FPI means foreign investors are buying bonds and stocks in Nigeria market.

To buy those stock and bond, they need to convert their dollar to naira right?

When they convert their dollar to naira in the local FOREX market, there will be an increase in the supply of dollar in the market.

The increase supply of $$ relative to the demand will lead to the strengthening of the naira against the dollar in the long term if the FPI continue to pour in.

What that mean is that naira can be at least strengthened a bit. Isn’t that what we wanted?

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Portfolio Investments In Equities Rises By 4472% In Nigeria by LegendHero(m): 2:35pm On Jul 10, 2023
pafra:

You can't beat a child and not ask him to cry.
You may be doing well and comfortable God bless you.

The suffering on the street is much. I wish you know what the Masses are passing through. I have to be emotional this morning on my way to work.

Please, for now, allow everybody to express himself. Remember that all the praise or blame falls on leadership.

Politic is over people are facing reality for now

You explained it better. Every sane person know that things are not where it ought to be yet and the new policy of fuel subsidy removal affected a lot of things for now.

That’s why I stated that when the palliative and the policy planned by the government start rolling in, it will mitigate against some of the suffering now.

You spoke like someone that love Nigeria. Your criticism made sense and this is what is needed.

But let’s say the truth, it will only take magic for Nigeria to be good overnight within just 1 month of a new government in power. See China for example, it took them decades of suffering to eventually get to their level today.

The easiest thing for Tinubu to do is to keep paying subsidy. Then in 3 years when Nigeria exhaust the borrowing power, we will see the real shege when FG do not even have Avenue to pay government workers.

If he say he want to block loophole of subsidy fraud, he will just keep chasing shadows like Buhari did against corruption. Nigerians are smart thieves. They will always find a loophole.

Have you ever asked yourself why lot of people do no go on the street to protest yet, it’s because they are waiting on the government promise of palliative and intervention. If in 6 month, things stays the same, then even Tinubu will not be able to contain the magnitude of protest that will rock the nation.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19: Wike Reopens Markets In Rivers State / Simple Steps On How To Import From China / Aliko Dangote's Daughter, Fatima Bello Dangote Dies From Brain Cancer In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.