Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,302 members, 7,815,547 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Getting A New Laptop? Read This! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Getting A New Laptop? Read This! (616 Views)

New Laptop For Sale / NEW LAPTOP ARRIVALS. THREAD UPDATED!!!!! / Should I Go For This Brand New Laptop? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by PattyMike(m): 2:29am On Jul 12, 2023
Announcement ooo:

I just have to say this, don’t let this people keep scamming you. Know what you want and don’t be deterred.

You want to get a new laptop and you’re excited, scared a little but excited nonetheless. You’re a novice, amateur or just don’t know how to pick a good PC? FEAR NOT for thou is with you lol.
Follow these guidelines and it should workout pretty well.

*First off, ask yourself these:

1. What do I need it for?
School? Programming? Graphic work? Normal
Office day2day? High volume running multiple
softwares at the same time like video/music
production etc?
2. How long do I plan to use it? Are u someone that
can use a phone for 4/5 years or you’re someone
like me that gets bored quickly with toys and
wants something new.
3. Your budget? Know your budget and even if
heaven falls don’t spend more than 10% extra
outside your budget.

Now that’s out of the way, let’s clear a misconception before we continue.

*Mic Check* People! People!! Peopleeeeeeee! There’s nothing wrong in buying a Naija used or UK used PC as long as it is in excellent condition, except you want to use it for the next 7-10 years Mr Ancient of days. You say this laptop came out in 2012 it’s old and yet you’re driving Camry big daddy what is the difference sir?

*If you’re a student in Uni and you just want a basic PC, pls and pls start from Core i3 4GB RAM above, don’t buy Intel Duo core 2GB RAM and say u have laptop. U can get a decent and neat Naija used one for 50k above.

*If you’re a business man/office worker/Printer or need something to process payments at work etc, start with Core i5 processor minimum 4GB RAM and the good thing about RAM is that it’s upgradeable, processor frequency 2.00Ghz minimum. You can get a neat Naija used one for 60k above.

*You’re a DJ, video editor, music producer, gamer, programmer, Graphic designer, yahoo boy spammer hacker etc. You have no business with Core i3 and Core i5 yeye boy come and check Core i7/Core i9 minimum 8GB RAM laptops. If you’re lucky you can get a core i7 Naija used PC starting from 80k or less maybe from person wey need money and u need to double triple check it properly. From stores at ikeja at least 100k upwards.

*Now onto the next, where do I buy?
Option 1: Nairaland, U will get an Excellent PC but let’s be honest u will overpay bros make I no lie u will over pay haha Nairalanders whyyyyyyyyyy?

Option 2: Ji-ji, the good thing is even when you no get shishi you can still window shop. Use the filter button to select your specifications to see available options in ur budget.

Option 3: Ikeja Computer Village, make I no lie it’s cheaper here. But there is also the possibility they might sell u a shit computer with shit specs cus it looks cool and elegant, oga we want machine not fine fine color pink Laptop 🤦🏾‍♂️.

*Now how do I pick a good PC? For myself I use jiji, I just love the filters. I find a deal or a store in computer village to get from, I go there, thoroughly check the life of that Laptop😂😂😂 pay and leave. The only time I bought nonsense deal was out of loyalty, a friend helped me close a deal and I had to buy another PC from him even though I knew I was grossly overpaying. It was my way of settling him.

Before we move on, pls NEVER NEVER in your life BUY CELERON. Infact buy calculator instead of a CELERON processor PC, I don’t like AMD also nothing beats an Intel processor and I think M1 chips are of similar comparisons but not superior to Intel.

*Now unto the next phase, you have seen a laptop to buy, you found a deal and you are currently checking the laptop out, what should you look for to avoid buying rubbish?
1. Turn the laptop on, plug in the charger? It’s charging abi oya remove it back, don’t listen to them if they say plug it back. Also take note of the PC time and current battery percentage before u do anything. Make a mental note.
2. Turn on the wifi, connect your hotspot to the Laptop.
3. Click on the windows logo and type notepad, open notepad and type all the keys on the Laptop to make sure they’re working.
4. Feel free to open browser, go to YouTube and play ur favorite song. What you’ve done is checked the speakers, make sure there is no bursted speaker sound.
5. If there’s a Bluetooth, turn it on and connect to anything. Check if manycam or any Cam app or feature is installed, open it and turn on webcam. You’ve checked the webcam.
6. Observe how fast the mouse moves, touchpad sensitivity/insensitivity is important.
7. Browse as you like, go to different websites make notes of how fast the computer responds to each command.
8. Of course go to file explorer, u should see where it says disk drive that’s ur HDD/SSD. Right on any empty space there and click on properties you should see the Intel processor, RAM and processor frequency GHz to be sure it’s exactly what you saw in adverts.
9. Make sure windows is activated, click on the search bar in programs and type Display, it should say you are able to personalize display setting or please activate windows before you can personalize.
8. Windows OS doesn’t make much difference jare, windows 8, 10, 11 to me means nothing as long I can use all functionality.
9. Now that you’re checking the life of the PC, observe the temperature. Warm is normal, cool is better, hot like burning hot is a no no. The heat from some peoples laptop can boil egg.
10. Do as if you want to close the laptop, bring it 45 degrees forward. The screen no shake? Good one.

Lastly don’t let anyone discourage you that oh haaa it’s a 4th generation hmm haa don’t buy. It doesn’t matter much if that’s what you can afford, as long as you take care of it you will surely enjoy it don’t worry.
The first digit after the Core i7/i5/i3- is the generation. For example, Core i7-4566 means it’s a Core i7 4th generation computer etc. It’s not bad it’s still a machine and infact I currently use a Core i7 4th generation PC and it’s a MACHINE! I have seen shittier later generation PCs.

Now that you have check the life of the Laptop, kindly look back at the battery to see where it currently is, the battery used up was normal Abi. It’s good very good nice one.
Oya pay for ur PC, go home and enjoy!

But this stress is much o ontop laptop or I don’t even know how to check properly. Ehn if you can pay for my time no problem, we will go with you and check it for you before you pay. WhatsApp me: ‪08149643976‬

If you have questions or more to add pls go ahead with comments, add your experience and opinions

*Next post will be maintenance tips for your PC, stay tuned.

1 Like

Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by Oreoluwa5: 4:10pm On Jul 12, 2023
thanks for this info. planning on getting a laptop soon

1 Like

Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 12, 2023
Good job.

1 Like

Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by Hypekwin: 8:14pm On Jul 12, 2023
Nice write up 👍

1 Like

Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by router123(m): 10:30am On Jul 17, 2023
U didn't mention USB ports functionality. I am having issues with the USB port of a naija used laptop I bought recently. Out of the 3 USB ports, 2only charge phones the 3rd that connects my printer and external HDD fail most often

1 Like

Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by mhiztalee(m): 5:53pm On Jul 17, 2023
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by PattyMike(m): 6:50pm On Jul 17, 2023
router123:
U didn't mention USB ports functionality. I am having issues with the USB port of a naija used laptop I bought recently. Out of the 3 USB ports, 2only charge phones the 3rd that connects my printer and external HDD fail most often

Oh yes. USB port functionality. 👍🏾 Very often overlooked, just like speakers.
Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by Oreoluwa5: 9:55pm On Jul 23, 2023
Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by Oreoluwa5: 9:55pm On Jul 23, 2023
How much will it cost me to get a neatly used HP 4gb ram Core i5 500gb memory laptop
Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by PattyMike(m): 8:18am On Jul 24, 2023
Oreoluwa5:
How much will it cost me to get a neatly used HP 4gb ram Core i5 500gb memory laptop

Everything you need is there in the writeup
Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by inikamoze(m): 3:34pm On Jul 24, 2023
I learnt newer AMD laptops are equally good as Intel laptops but you condemned it.
Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by PattyMike(m): 4:17pm On Jul 24, 2023
inikamoze:
I learnt newer AMD laptops are equally good as Intel laptops but you condemned it.

AMDs are just as good, at least better than CELERON. Especially high grades AMD processors e.g the Ryzen. This write up is based on MY opinion and minor research I did on the topic.

I would never condemn PCs of any kind except of cus CELERON which is a personal opinion of cus. But I would implore you to do a quick google research and see what “experts” suggests when choosing between Intel processors and an AMD. AMDs are not bad at all but when it’s about “extremely heavy use”, the Intel core is mostly preferable.

1 Like

Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by inikamoze(m): 11:12pm On Jul 24, 2023
PattyMike:

AMDs are just as good, at least better than CELERON. Especially high grades AMD processors e.g the Ryzen. This write up is based on MY opinion and minor research I did on the topic.

I would never condemn PCs of any kind except of cus CELERON which is a personal opinion of cus. But I would implore you to do a quick google research and see what “experts” suggests when choosing between Intel processors and an AMD. AMDs are not bad at all but when it’s about “extremely heavy use”, the Intel core is mostly preferable.

Okay, noted
Re: Getting A New Laptop? Read This! by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 07, 2023
PattyMike:
Announcement ooo:

I just have to say this, don’t let this people keep scamming you. Know what you want and don’t be deterred.

You want to get a new laptop and you’re excited, scared a little but excited nonetheless. You’re a novice, amateur or just don’t know how to pick a good PC? FEAR NOT for thou is with you lol.
Follow these guidelines and it should workout pretty well.

*First off, ask yourself these:

1. What do I need it for?
School? Programming? Graphic work? Normal
Office day2day? High volume running multiple
softwares at the same time like video/music
production etc?
2. How long do I plan to use it? Are u someone that
can use a phone for 4/5 years or you’re someone
like me that gets bored quickly with toys and
wants something new.
3. Your budget? Know your budget and even if
heaven falls don’t spend more than 10% extra
outside your budget.

Now that’s out of the way, let’s clear a misconception before we continue.

*Mic Check* People! People!! Peopleeeeeeee! There’s nothing wrong in buying a Naija used or UK used PC as long as it is in excellent condition, except you want to use it for the next 7-10 years Mr Ancient of days. You say this laptop came out in 2012 it’s old and yet you’re driving Camry big daddy what is the difference sir?

*If you’re a student in Uni and you just want a basic PC, pls and pls start from Core i3 4GB RAM above, don’t buy Intel Duo core 2GB RAM and say u have laptop. U can get a decent and neat Naija used one for 50k above.

*If you’re a business man/office worker/Printer or need something to process payments at work etc, start with Core i5 processor minimum 4GB RAM and the good thing about RAM is that it’s upgradeable, processor frequency 2.00Ghz minimum. You can get a neat Naija used one for 60k above.

*You’re a DJ, video editor, music producer, gamer, programmer, Graphic designer, yahoo boy spammer hacker etc. You have no business with Core i3 and Core i5 yeye boy come and check Core i7/Core i9 minimum 8GB RAM laptops. If you’re lucky you can get a core i7 Naija used PC starting from 80k or less maybe from person wey need money and u need to double triple check it properly. From stores at ikeja at least 100k upwards.

*Now onto the next, where do I buy?
Option 1: Nairaland, U will get an Excellent PC but let’s be honest u will overpay bros make I no lie u will over pay haha Nairalanders whyyyyyyyyyy?

Option 2: Ji-ji, the good thing is even when you no get shishi you can still window shop. Use the filter button to select your specifications to see available options in ur budget.

Option 3: Ikeja Computer Village, make I no lie it’s cheaper here. But there is also the possibility they might sell u a shit computer with shit specs cus it looks cool and elegant, oga we want machine not fine fine color pink Laptop 🤦🏾‍♂️.

*Now how do I pick a good PC? For myself I use jiji, I just love the filters. I find a deal or a store in computer village to get from, I go there, thoroughly check the life of that Laptop😂😂😂 pay and leave. The only time I bought nonsense deal was out of loyalty, a friend helped me close a deal and I had to buy another PC from him even though I knew I was grossly overpaying. It was my way of settling him.

Before we move on, pls NEVER NEVER in your life BUY CELERON. Infact buy calculator instead of a CELERON processor PC, I don’t like AMD also nothing beats an Intel processor and I think M1 chips are of similar comparisons but not superior to Intel.

*Now unto the next phase, you have seen a laptop to buy, you found a deal and you are currently checking the laptop out, what should you look for to avoid buying rubbish?
1. Turn the laptop on, plug in the charger? It’s charging abi oya remove it back, don’t listen to them if they say plug it back. Also take note of the PC time and current battery percentage before u do anything. Make a mental note.
2. Turn on the wifi, connect your hotspot to the Laptop.
3. Click on the windows logo and type notepad, open notepad and type all the keys on the Laptop to make sure they’re working.
4. Feel free to open browser, go to YouTube and play ur favorite song. What you’ve done is checked the speakers, make sure there is no bursted speaker sound.
5. If there’s a Bluetooth, turn it on and connect to anything. Check if manycam or any Cam app or feature is installed, open it and turn on webcam. You’ve checked the webcam.
6. Observe how fast the mouse moves, touchpad sensitivity/insensitivity is important.
7. Browse as you like, go to different websites make notes of how fast the computer responds to each command.
8. Of course go to file explorer, u should see where it says disk drive that’s ur HDD/SSD. Right on any empty space there and click on properties you should see the Intel processor, RAM and processor frequency GHz to be sure it’s exactly what you saw in adverts.
9. Make sure windows is activated, click on the search bar in programs and type Display, it should say you are able to personalize display setting or please activate windows before you can personalize.
8. Windows OS doesn’t make much difference jare, windows 8, 10, 11 to me means nothing as long I can use all functionality.
9. Now that you’re checking the life of the PC, observe the temperature. Warm is normal, cool is better, hot like burning hot is a no no. The heat from some peoples laptop can boil egg.
10. Do as if you want to close the laptop, bring it 45 degrees forward. The screen no shake? Good one.

Lastly don’t let anyone discourage you that oh haaa it’s a 4th generation hmm haa don’t buy. It doesn’t matter much if that’s what you can afford, as long as you take care of it you will surely enjoy it don’t worry.
The first digit after the Core i7/i5/i3- is the generation. For example, Core i7-4566 means it’s a Core i7 4th generation computer etc. It’s not bad it’s still a machine and infact I currently use a Core i7 4th generation PC and it’s a MACHINE! I have seen shittier later generation PCs.

Now that you have check the life of the Laptop, kindly look back at the battery to see where it currently is, the battery used up was normal Abi. It’s good very good nice one.
Oya pay for ur PC, go home and enjoy!

But this stress is much o ontop laptop or I don’t even know how to check properly. Ehn if you can pay for my time no problem, we will go with you and check it for you before you pay. WhatsApp me: ‪08149643976‬

If you have questions or more to add pls go ahead with comments, add your experience and opinions

*Next post will be maintenance tips for your PC, stay tuned.

My chief no response yet as per mail

(1) (Reply)

Some One Should Please Recommend The Best Studio Editing Software And How I Can Get It. Abeg ! / Softwares That Spite Money Online And Offline / E Currency Like Liberty Reserve ,webmoney,alert Pay And So On For Sale!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.