Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,533 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Undergraduate Hangs Self In Hotel Room ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Undergraduate Hangs Self In Hotel Room ! (834 Views)

31 Girls Arrested In Hotel By Kano Sharia Police / Brown Knowledge Anderson Dies In Hotel Room / Gen Buhari Pictured In His Hotel Room (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Undergraduate Hangs Self In Hotel Room ! by HighChief4(m): 5:45pm On Oct 06, 2011
In what appeared to be a well thought out and perfectly executed operation, 22-year-old Kehinde Akintunde hanged himself, claiming a sixth-sense knowledge of the future.

“If anyone asked what could have been done to prevent me from hanging myself, the only answer I can give is that there is nothing that can stop it from happening. If it does not happen now, it will still happen one day. It could be three months, six, or a year, ” formed part of a seven-page note found in a hotel room in Ibadan, the Oyo State and supposedly left by Kehinde Akintunde, a suspected suicide. Kehinde as the name suggests was a twin. And twins in the South West of Nigerian are cherished. They are regarded as special beings and practically venerated.

A lot of myth is also spun around them, particularly among the Yoruba the main race of the region. Hence, many at this side of the globe see them as odd. Such were the Akintunde twins both male and aged 22 years. While Kehinde was a 400 level student of engineering at the Federal University of Technology, Akure, in Ondo State, Taiwo, his twin brother was observing the one year compulsory National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme in Lagos.

He had graduated before Kehinde, the younger but regarded as the elder of the two in Yoruba tradition. Save for this, the twin brothers were very close and inseparable. To be up-to-date with what they were taught in school and probably to be close to Taiwo, his twin brother, Kehinde Akintunde attached himself to a private firm in Yaba area of Lagos where he was complementing his studies with some practical aspect.

But on Friday, 19 August, 2011, the music changed. One of the twins embarked on a journey of no return in circumstances which still remain mysterious and confounding especially to the family. In the morning of that fateful day, Kehinde reportedly told his twin brother that he was going to the workshop and bade neighbours farewell. But he never got to the workshop. Unknown to any of them, he went straight to the motor park and boarded a bus going to Ibadan, Oyo State.

Arriving at Ibadan, Akintunde reportedly went to the Apata area of the city. He then reportedly looked for a decent hotel where he booked for the night. It was not on record that he received any visitor in his room after he lodged in there, though. He was reportedly not to have been seen to have come out of his room since the time he moved into the hotel. The following day, as usual for hotel lodgers, everyone that booked for the night came out to drop their keys, but Akintunde did not. The lady on shift at the time reportedly wondered what was keeping the young man behind when he did not come out to drop his key at 12 noon.

When it was well past noon, the lady reportedly informed the hotel manager about the guest who did not return his key after the expiration of his lodging agreement. The hotel manager reportedly calmed her down believing that the guest was still resting or that he had gone out and would come and pay for the extended time. But that was not to be after all. Towards evening, everyone in the hotel became troubled over the whereabouts of the occupier of the room. At that time, the hotel manager took the spare keys to the room Akintunde lodged and went to open it.

But when he reportedly insert the key, the door could not be opened from outside. That was when the manager sensed trouble. He thus called for a carpenter to come and force the door open. When the carpenter eventual broke the door open, lo Kehinde Akintunde’s body was dangling from the ceiling of the hotel room. The hotel manager, on seeing Akintunde’s corpse, fled the scene and immediately invited the police. The policemen were saved the trouble of trying to identify the suspected suicide. They only looked at the suicide note he left on the table.

There, he gave a precise instruction on how to locate his people. “You that first saw this incident, search my [phone and check for my brother’s number there and call him,” the suicide note read. And that exactly was what they did. The policemen picked Akintunde’s mobile phone and retrieved his elder brother’ number from there and demanded that he come over to the hotel immediately. When the brother arrived and saw his younger brother hanging from the ceiling, he reportedly broke down in tears. Thereafter, the brother called their parents lying to them that Akintunde was in police custody for an undisclosed crime he committed.

Not knowing how to break the sad news to their parents, Akintunde’s elder brother reportedly went to the opposite streets in search of some church leaders to help do the dirty job. The church leaders obliged to break the news to the young man’s parents. Eventually, the older Akintundes arrived and no sooner had they arrived than the pastors started preaching to the woman particularly.

The restless woman demanded from them what the whole sermon was all about and eventual she was told that her son was dead. She reportedly fainted at the scene, while the father held his head and wept sorrowfully. But the mother doubted the real cause of her son’s death, but for the suicide note he left by the bedside. The seven-page note contained messages to virtually all his extended family members.

The list of persons inside suicide note was what convinced the hapless mother that her son actually took his own life. In the note he also begged them profusely to forgive him. “It is now 9:52pm. My brothers and sisters would be looking for me by now. I urge you all to go to bed. I thank you all. Please forgive me all, I beg for your forgiveness,” he also wrote. Confirming the story, Femi Okanlawon ASP, public relations officer of the Oyo State Police Command, said that the policemen at Apata Police Station where the case was initially lodged took his remains to the Ade Oyo Hospital mortuary for autopsy.

But the question on the lips of his parents, siblings, friends and sympathizers is,” what could have driven this young man to take his own life. What was it that he claimed he knew that others did not that eventually made him end his own life? One of the mysteries of twins?

http://www.gbooza.com/group/crime/forum/topics/undergraduate-hangs-self-in-hotel-room#axzz1a1MDmQCa
Re: Undergraduate Hangs Self In Hotel Room ! by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 06, 2011
Stuupid boy
Re: Undergraduate Hangs Self In Hotel Room ! by Afam4eva(m): 5:56pm On Oct 06, 2011
Is this not the guy that took transport from Lagos to Ibadan to go and hang himself?
Re: Undergraduate Hangs Self In Hotel Room ! by nolongTing: 5:56pm On Oct 06, 2011

(1) (Reply)

Robbers Go Berserk In Lagos, Force Victims To Sign Cheques! / Kaduna’s Many Bombs And Explosions / S'east To Benefit From Planned Refineries, Says Ben Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.