Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,289 members, 7,811,863 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa (51742 Views)

What Would You Do With 50 Acres / Thunder Kills 23 Cows In Ekiti / 'Nigerian Cows Look Like Marathon Runners'; Man Shares Pictures Of His Cattle. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by ArewaNorth: 1:53pm On Jul 16, 2023
Idris Isa Bawa, an architect, resisted giving up on livestock husbandry despite the enormous obstacles he faced.

Bawa told Daily Trust that his livestock business began 20 years ago with about 50 cows. However, the journey started while in the university in the 1990s using part of the scholarship he got from the federal government to raise cows.

“I am actually into general cattle breeding, both dairy and fattening. I am so much motivated into dairy and general breeding because it is something I personally have passion for. It is an occupation I inherited from my parents and feel I should not abandon but rather improve on to ensure more productivity. I actually started a serious animal husbandry business since 1990s when I was in the university,” he narrated to Daily Trust on Sunday.

As the saying goes—that experience is the best teacher—the farmer said he had made so many mistakes, but instead of allowing them to kill his dreams, he decided to learn from them and move on.

“When I look into how I started, I see so many mistakes in the past, which I have learned and corrected over time. I actually started with a small scale, but with determination I am being able to grow to an appreciable level,” he said.

In a period where feed is a critical issue with livestock farmers in the country, Bawa said he had to devise a means to deal with the situation that has forced many to shut down.

“I am able to solve that problem by ensuring that I deliver affordable means of providing feeds to my animals. In my farm you will not only see animals, you will also see crop farms like maize, rice and others. The residue of these crops, the by-products are usually stored after harvest and used for feeding of my animals throughout the dry season. This has really helped me over the years in attending to the feeding issues encountered by many pastoralists. Also, I try to raise some special breeds of grasses to support the natural one we have in the area, although it has its own challenges in terms of watering them during the dry season, considering the savannah nature of the area in Bauchi State,” he explained.

Today, Bawa’s farm (Baraji Integrated Farms and Ranches Ltd) has a capacity of about 400 hectares of land with a population of about 1,000 cows. This is, however, just about 40 per cent of what he wants to achieve. The breed of animals he has are mostly white Fulani cows
His choice was deliberate because, according to him, the white Fulani breeds have the “ability to withstand the long dry season of the area.”

The farmer explained that growth had not been as expected because of the issue of funding, which is actually a major challenge.

“Lack of funding resulted in taking me over 20 years to reach where I am today. I have not reached 40 per cent of where I want to be. I wish the government at different levels would come out with a good enabling environment to support farmers, especially pastoralists. This will go a long way to provide employment opportunities to many unemployed youths in the country,” he stated.

But funding is not the only major issue for the farmers. There is lack of government support to building their capacity to increase knowledge on good practices. Others include the issue of climate change, animal diseases, ever increasing cost of feeds, cattle rustling and general insecurity.

Bawa advised the government to take “measures to improve animal production, both dairy and fattening. This will go a long way towards solving so many problems in the country, especially at the rural level. Farmers can be settled in clusters and the government would provide all the needed support in terms of facilities and enabling markets for farmers to be able to raise their animals and easily sell their products to make a living.”

https://dailytrust.com/with-50-cows-20-years-ago-i-now-have-1000/

70 Likes 7 Shares

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 1:55pm On Jul 16, 2023
💵💵💵💵💵💵

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Sweetrosie(f): 1:59pm On Jul 16, 2023
How is this going to favor me and my family now undecided

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by SHiNJA4RMDWEST: 2:35pm On Jul 16, 2023
Other countries are boasting of technologies ,new inventions ...

This head slamming cow is boasting of rearing cows like him ...

No wonder this country is going backward..

Anyway God bless the good people of Southsouth and Southwest..

56 Likes 7 Shares

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Zonefree(m): 3:02pm On Jul 16, 2023
SHiNJA4RMDWEST:

Oga, keep quiet. Technology boosts economy same as Agriculture. There's nothing wrong in rearing cows.

413 Likes 33 Shares

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Zxcvbnmghtr: 3:04pm On Jul 16, 2023
Zonefree:

Oga, keep quiet. Technology boosts economy same as Agriculture. There's nothing wrong in rearing cows.

He is just being ignorant. Very ignorant.

242 Likes 15 Shares

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by OmekaguGCFR1: 3:08pm On Jul 16, 2023
SHiNJA4RMDWEST:

this yoruba christian man the table wey you dey shake so Shake am wella oooo

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by SHiNJA4RMDWEST: 3:24pm On Jul 16, 2023
Zonefree:

fulani cows in Nigeria produce just about 1.5 to 2 litres of milk per day compared to cows in Kenya which produce up to 30 litres per day ...

Even for the agriculture Una be failures

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Corn247: 3:44pm On Jul 16, 2023
Did he count himself with it too grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Johans2023: 3:48pm On Jul 16, 2023
SHiNJA4RMDWEST:

no country can do without agriculture.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by MissLeslie(m): 3:51pm On Jul 16, 2023
SHiNJA4RMDWEST:

What is your contribution to the nation.

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by inoki247: 3:58pm On Jul 16, 2023
SHiNJA4RMDWEST:

So when you're done with your Technology development you will not eat I guess....

If everybody venture Into technology are we all going to start eating technology....

100 Likes 5 Shares

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by RedPiller(m): 4:07pm On Jul 16, 2023
inoki247:

So when you're done with your Technology development you will not eat I guess....

If everybody venture Into technology are we all going to start eating technology....

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 grin grin grin

21 Likes

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Rathoreng(m): 4:59pm On Jul 16, 2023
Zonefree:

Don’t mind him oga , even Bill Gates own the largest farmland in America, if it’s the tech he’s talking about, people like them are the ones wishing the sky isn’t blue, the earth should be flat and so on.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by marlow1962(m): 5:00pm On Jul 16, 2023
Even with all the namas jubril and his fellow evil cohorts have, the average man can't even buy dairy products and meat.
Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by OnyeAshuaUru: 6:08pm On Jul 16, 2023
inoki247:

The mo.ron you quoted is not capable of giving the most basic definition of Technology, and hence his unabashed display of foolishness.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Afamed: 6:10pm On Jul 16, 2023
OmekaguGCFR1:
this yoruba christian man the table wey you dey shake so Shake am wella oooo

Achalugo, you made the comment. You still used your alternate monicker to promote your bigotry

When will you grow up?

Your style of divide and rule is not working

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by ALCOHOLKILLS(m): 6:12pm On Jul 16, 2023
Afamed:

Achalugo, you made the comment. You still used your alternate monicker to promote your bigotry
When will you grow up?

Mr tribalist are you still alive

2 Likes

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Afamed: 6:14pm On Jul 16, 2023
ALCOHOLKILLS:

Mr tribalist are you still alive

You have switched to your 4th moniker in a space of 1mint.

Why should I engage nonen+tity like you?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Salewa97: 6:22pm On Jul 16, 2023
SHiNJA4RMDWEST:

Do you know how much is 1000 cows?

14 Likes

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by SHiNJA4RMDWEST: 6:27pm On Jul 16, 2023
Why are those animals above angry with my comment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Waterlilly: 6:30pm On Jul 16, 2023
Hope they're not destorying people farms

2 Likes

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by GanagiBitrus: 6:30pm On Jul 16, 2023
Goo one.
Those herdsmen causing problems with open grazing, should emulate this man & adopt ranching.

2 Likes

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Kobicove(m): 6:30pm On Jul 16, 2023
Congratulations to him!
Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by lavylilly: 6:31pm On Jul 16, 2023
shocked
Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Kobicove(m): 6:32pm On Jul 16, 2023
SHiNJA4RMDWEST:

There's nothing wrong with rearing cows!

6 Likes

Re: With 50 Cows 20 Years Ago, I Now Have 1,000 - Idris Isa Bawa by Heroicvic(m): 6:32pm On Jul 16, 2023
V

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Muhammadu Sarki Builds Tomato Paste Factory In Katsina / Ajifa Rice Processed In Idah Kogi, State (Pictures & Price) / Dry Season Ugu Farming:Scope, Process,SWOT Analysis,And Contribution( Pics,Vids)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.