Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,130 members, 7,811,193 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

The 8k Palliative To Poor Nigerians - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The 8k Palliative To Poor Nigerians (179 Views)

If You Have Collected Your 8k Palliative Update Us / Bro Felix Obuah Gives Out Palliative To IPAC Members Rivers State Chapter / Covid-19: Free Electricity As Palliative To Nigerians Maybe Unrealistic - CAACAS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The 8k Palliative To Poor Nigerians by KingsleyOnwuka1(m): 2:01pm On Jul 16, 2023
Payment of 8k to 12 million poor Nigerians as palliative regarding fuel subsidy removal is not a welcome development. It is rather a waste of money, because it will have no significant impact. The points for my argument are:
1. It is reported that up to 100 million Nigerians living in poverty, which makes Nigeria the world capital of poverty. 12 million of 100 million people constitute a tiny percentage of poor Nigerians. So when you give 8k to 12 million poor Nigerians, what happens to the plenitude of other poor Nigerians?

2. By the way, who are actually the poor Nigerians in the records of government? How does the government really know the truly poor Nigerians? Because I'm forced by circumstance to live on less than 1.90 US Dollar per day, I can be categorized as a poor Nigerian for now. But the government does have me on its database of poor Nigerians (if there's really any such database). I also know many people around me who are living in abject poverty, and I'm sure the government does not have them in its records of poor Nigerians. So who are the poor Nigerians?

3. The amount 8k is too small to cushion the effect of fuel subsidy removal.

4. The government wants to pay the 8k monthly for just 6 months. Now the question that comes to mind is: is the fuel subsidy removal lasting for only 6 months? So after the 6 months, the so-called poor Nigerians can continue to suffer the effect of the fuel subsidy removal, isn't it?

Considering my points of argument above, the money for the palliative should rather be channelled to the revamping of the country's refineries. This holds much more benefits and is far better than distributing the money to the so-called poor Nigerians (who are not really verified as such).

Revamping our refineries will make fuel affordable for ordinary Nigerians, and will create plenty (direct and indirect job), and will by and large promote economic prosperity for the generality of Nigerians.

(1) (Reply)

Affordable Education Down Under: Exploring Cheap Universities In Australia / Ifunanya Baddest Lawyer Sets Yo Release Movie / 10 Hardest Countries To Get Citizenship In The World 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.