Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,609 members, 7,820,168 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture (962 Views)

APC Presidential Campaign In Anambra And Imo To Be Held on Mondays / Communique Of The Meeting Of Southern Governors Forum Held On 5/7/2021 / Check Out Colourful Photos Of The Dabar Festival Held In Jigawa State Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by AlexBells(m): 10:47am On Jul 17, 2023
I love this Opobo people with passion, upon all the oppression they are still holding on, few days back I came across a post about their new yam and corn festival. Since the new Nigeria, if Isesse is practiced in Illorin that means it is Yoruba land but if it is not practiced that means it is questionable.

So now the new yam festival is practiced in Opobo even when they hardly cultivate yam, as a riverine community their occupation is tied to the water. For the sake of peace I would like to look at Opobo as distinct people and say Wow they share this culture with the Igbos.

The culture forbids the eating of yam or corn especially when the ritual is not performed however just like AlaIgbo, this ritual is not ussually enforced but mostly voluntary, why do I have to stress this part, because some individuals were attacking the Opobians on Facebook asking them why celebrate a festival they don't practice; why not fishing festival instead, some accuse them of not even cultivating yam in Opobo but that's not the issue, heritage is very important.

3 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Ikaeniyan0: 10:50am On Jul 17, 2023
So what's the essence of this thread?
Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by AlexBells(m): 10:51am On Jul 17, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Essence of the thread is celebrating Opobo culture and also reminding that if Ilorin have to be Yorubaland it ought to allow Issese

6 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Karlman: 10:52am On Jul 17, 2023
OP
Try get the pictures of the New Yam festival...even video if available!

1 Like

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by paramakina202: 10:56am On Jul 17, 2023
Those Opobians are descendants of main land Igbos.

5 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Wahabfuture: 10:57am On Jul 17, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:

Stop crying Agbado after all you are true Ika eniyan buruku grin

2 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Wahabfuture: 10:58am On Jul 17, 2023
Karlman:
OP
Try get the pictures of the New Yam festival...even video if available!

You want to kill those Agbado hate filled miscreants here grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Karlman: 11:04am On Jul 17, 2023
Wahabfuture:

You want to kill those Agbado hate filled miscreants here grin grin
Not really!
And not like I care about how anyone would feel either!

I just wanna enjoy the cultural heritage!

3 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Ikaeniyan0: 11:11am On Jul 17, 2023
Wahabfuture:

Stop crying Agbado after all you are true Ika eniyan buruku grin
What are you talking about?
Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Ikaeniyan0: 11:12am On Jul 17, 2023
AlexBells:
Essence of the thread is celebrating Opobo culture and also reminding that if Ilorin have to be Yorubaland it ought to allow Issese
You create a thread wey no get head or tail, I ask you what the essence of the thread is, you're writing something else again

Are you high or just drunk?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by AlexBells(m): 11:14am On Jul 17, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
You create a thread wey no get head or tail, I ask you what the essence of the thread is, you're writing something else again

Are you high or just drunk?
the joke is on you, if it no make sense for you why hot jump and pass, do I owe you sense, it makes sense for me and a host of others, you are irrelevant whatsoever to the discuss at hand

2 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Ikaeniyan0: 11:26am On Jul 17, 2023
AlexBells:
the joke is on you, if it no make sense for you why hot jump and pass, do I owe you sense, it makes sense for me and a host of others, you are irrelevant whatsoever to the discuss at hand

A lot of you people on Nairaland are fraustrated
Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by AlexBells(m): 11:29am On Jul 17, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:

A lot of you people on Nairaland are fraustrated
Na so Mr. Un-frustrated, over 67% of Nigerians are currently fraustrated

3 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Ikaeniyan0: 11:30am On Jul 17, 2023
AlexBells:
Na so Mr. Un-frustrated, over 67% of Nigerians are currently fraustrated
No wander you fraustrated people are creating senseless thread on Nairaland.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Wahabfuture: 11:33am On Jul 17, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
What are you talking about?

Omo Ika nie

1 Like

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Wahabfuture: 11:35am On Jul 17, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
No wander you fraustrated people are creating senseless thread on Nairaland.

Skull miner get out of this place now or else

2 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Ikaeniyan0: 11:45am On Jul 17, 2023
Wahabfuture:

Skull miner get out of this place now or else
... or else I will mine your skull

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by FourQu: 11:56am On Jul 17, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:

Yea we know. Thatโ€™s why weโ€™re telling you early to get out of this thread before your primal instincts kick in

4 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Wahabfuture: 12:14pm On Jul 17, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:

You can't mine my skull because I don't live in Yoruba land ...... the headquarter of skull mining Industries, Go mine Tinubu skull grin

2 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by MyExpression(m): 12:40pm On Jul 17, 2023
You no dey plant yam, yet you dey celebrate Yam festival....you're obviously acknowledging your Igbo ancestry.

Make South South continue lying to themselves because of oil.

3 Likes

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by bhella10: 1:19pm On Jul 17, 2023
We celebrate nu yam in Ondo State. And it's usually on a Saturday. Bountiful harvest
Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by AlexBells(m): 1:21pm On Jul 17, 2023
bhella10:
We celebrate nu yam in Ondo State. And it's usually on a Saturday. Bountiful harvest
Borrowing a culture is not bad however the main people notable for new yam festival is as clear as day, that's the point. It is not something done in Ijawland they would rather do fishing festival. We don't have territorial issues with Yorubas

1 Like

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by bhella10: 2:04pm On Jul 17, 2023
AlexBells:
Borrowing a culture is not bad however the main people notable for new yam festival is as clear as day, that's the point. It is not something done in Ijawland they would rather do fishing festival. We don't have territorial issues with Yorubas
Celebrating harvest is not a borrowed culture. It's human. It's as old as human. For example here, when a hunter kills a warthog or bush pig ๐Ÿ– for the first time he celebrates. same applies to fish ๐ŸŽ
Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by AlexBells(m): 2:12pm On Jul 17, 2023
bhella10:
Celebrating harvest is not a borrowed culture. It's human. It's as old as human. For example here, when a hunter kills a warthog or bush pig ๐Ÿ– for the first time he celebrates. same applies to fish ๐ŸŽ
talking for talking sake, what is culture please, you may need to consult an elementary school social study book to understand the meaning of culture, I don't like wasting my time on people who deliberately chose to be ignorant, if you celebrate killing your first game in your community, if it is passed on through generation it becomes a culture. Human is a social being so culture is human nature, it can be passed on especially with proximity, now the question is why do Opobo share the culture with mainland Igbos?

1 Like

Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by bhella10: 3:09pm On Jul 17, 2023
AlexBells:
talking for talking sake, what is culture please, you may need to consult an elementary school social study book to understand the meaning of culture, I don't like wasting my time on people who deliberately chose to be ignorant, if you celebrate killing your first game in your community, if it is passed on through generation it becomes a culture. Human is a social being so culture is human nature, it can be passed on especially with proximity, now the question is why do Opobo share the culture with mainland Igbos?
Well now I see your point. But I'm sorry I can't help you with that. OG no dey shout!
Re: Opobo New Yam Festival Held On Saturday Is It Igbo Or Ijaw Culture by Penguin2: 3:17pm On Jul 17, 2023
Yoruba Ronu people wonโ€™t like this.๐Ÿ˜œ

Maybe they will consider dispatching Asari Dokubo to Opobo to go and attack them.

Thank you Opobo people for making sure that the young generation of Opobo are taught their heritage.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Niger Coup Leader Visits Mali To Meet Wagner Allied Military In Mali / Obi-Datti: Where Is Datti? / Ohaneze To Send Emissaries To Finland To Beg And Dialog With Simon Ekpa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.