Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,208 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

Network Gurus Pls Help Answer This - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Network Gurus Pls Help Answer This (238 Views)

Pls Answer This Question / Computer Gurus - Please Come In / Computer And Tech Gurus Pls Enter Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Network Gurus Pls Help Answer This by router123(m): 11:57am On Jul 17, 2023
I work in an organisation that has an ISP with wifi which only principal officers alone are connected to though the wifi is visible. I have my own mtn mifi that I used though. I day I forgot to on my mifi and started browsing. I later occurred to me that I was browsing without my mifi on and later realised that I was connected to that wifi dedicated for principal officers. I knew the technical by chance made a mistake and it's a matter of time it will be discovered and I will be blocked. Truely by the 3rd day I was block. Though now am still connected to the wifi but the moment I want to BROUSE the browser will automatically take me to the companies website where username and password (which I don't have) will be required. But I noticed that on this same laptop my telgram desktop app is connected and through it I v been able to download an average of 10gb movies daily for weeks now. I used other apps like canva to know if any other app that doesn't use browser will work but it didn't. I studied computer myself and till now can't explain this mystery. Can anyone help demystefy this ?
Re: Network Gurus Pls Help Answer This by immortalcrown(m): 12:35pm On Jul 17, 2023
This might be a technical issue for your organisation's ICT department. The department's web filter configuration and implementation have loopholes. Telegram uses torrent-like behaviour. This is why you can use the network to download movies.

Also, Social media apps have ways to bypass web filters. This is why you can sometimes send and receive WhatsApp messages when you have zero data. I believe the tech giants purposely give the apps the permission so the apps can be a gateway to steal users' data.

This also reveals that network operators, Google and some other tech giants need just your network connection to be turned on for them to spy on you. They can spy on you when you have zero data, provided your network connection is on. Even if your network connection is off, some of the tech giants can still send and receive packets from your device, provided there is network coverage on your device. It is said that network operators can listen to your conversations in real time even when your phone is turned off, even if you remove the battery, except you remove the SIM card or keep the device very far away.
Re: Network Gurus Pls Help Answer This by router123(m): 6:19pm On Jul 17, 2023
immortalcrown:
This might be a technical issue for your organisation's ICT department. The department's web filter configuration and implementation have loopholes. Telegram uses torrent-like behaviour. This is why you can use the network to download movies.

Also, Social media apps have ways to bypass web filters. This is why you can sometimes send and receive WhatsApp messages when you have zero data. I believe the tech giants purposely give the apps the permission so the apps can be a gateway to steal users' data.

This also reveals that network operators, Google and some other tech giants need just your network connection to be turned on for them to spy on you. They can spy on you when you have zero data, provided your network connection is on. Even if your network connection is off, some of the tech giants can still send and receive packets from your device, provided there is network coverage on your device. It is said that network operators can listen to your conversations in real time even when your phone is turned off, even if you remove the battery, except you remove the SIM card or keep the device very far away.

Thanks for the insight. But the mystery is that no other computer but mine had this priviledge
Re: Network Gurus Pls Help Answer This by immortalcrown(m): 6:26pm On Jul 17, 2023
router123:

Thanks for the insight. But the mystery is that no other computer but mine had this priviledge
The effect of "Connect automatically". It might also be that the ICT team, for whatever reason, skipped your device while removing unauthorised nodes on the network. There is no mistery there.
Re: Network Gurus Pls Help Answer This by router123(m): 9:51pm On Jul 17, 2023
immortalcrown:
The effect of "Connect automatically". It might also be that the ICT team, for whatever reason, skipped your device while removing unauthorised nodes on the network. There is no mistery there.

Why it is a mystery to me is that I v never been properly connected to that network before.
Re: Network Gurus Pls Help Answer This by router123(m): 9:53pm On Jul 17, 2023
immortalcrown:

Why it is a mystery to me is that I v never been properly connected to that network before. I told you the network is strictly for the principal officers (management staffs)
Re: Network Gurus Pls Help Answer This by immortalcrown(m): 7:53am On Jul 18, 2023
router123:

Why it is a mystery to me is that I v never been properly connected to that network before. I told you the network is strictly for the principal officers (management staffs)
According to you, there was a day you connected to and used the network. You said you even suspected the ICT team might later find out and disconnect you.

No need to dwell much on it. If you see it as a mystery, let it be so for you.
Re: Network Gurus Pls Help Answer This by router123(m): 11:35am On Jul 18, 2023
immortalcrown:
According to you, there was a day you connected to and used the network. You said you even suspected the ICT team might later find out and disconnect you.

No need to dwell much on it. If you see it as a mystery, let it be so for you.

Yes I said so but I never entered any password or user name on that day and I observed that as I had free access that they I tried my 2 other laptops and smart phones but they were all required to input passkey to connect. To what is unique about that particular laptop that had full access during that period?

(1) (Reply)

Flat And Fast Hp 850 256gb Ssd For 140k / Toshiba Satellite, 160gb 2gb Ram Processor Speed 1.87ghz 27k / Grade One USA HP Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.