Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,011 members, 7,814,451 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians (26533 Views)

Akwa Ibom: Governor Eno Urges Appeal Court To Dismiss Bassey Akpan’s Case / "Nigerians Take Too Much Rubbish From Politicians" — Sanusi Lamido / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Votes In Abia State; Complains Of Delay (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by dre11(m): 2:39pm On Jul 17, 2023
Governor Umo Eno of Akwa Ibom State, South-south Nigeria, has complained that he is being distracted by too many unscheduled visits from politicians in the state.

Mr Eno was inaugurated in May as the fifth elected governor of Akwa Ibom.

Until his election, he was a successful entrepreneur in his hospitality and catering business in the state but was not known to be deeply involved in the state’s politics.

I will not go to anybody’s office without an appointment,” Mr Eno said in a video clip posted on Facebook.

“I find it amusing that people would just leave their home and just show up, and they will call you that they have not been allowed to pass through the Government House gate.”

Mr Eno made the remarks on Saturday during a monthly prayer meeting at the chapel inside the Government House, Uyo.

The prayer meeting is a Government House tradition inherited by Mr Eno. It is usually attended by select clerics, government officials, politicians and entrepreneurs in the state.

Governor Eno, who said he was learning to manage the frequent visits to his office, appealed to politicians to give him some space to do the job he was elected to do.

Visiting days

“I will only receive visitors on Thursdays and Fridays. I beg us, between Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, I will not receive visitors to allow me time to do the job that you have elected me to do because no one would ask how many visitors I received at the end of four years,” Mr Eno said.

“Allow us to hold the meeting we can hold, treat some files – you know we are almost treating files late, and I have tried to manage it for some time, but people would get angry.

“Some people would say we have just elected you; he is locking us out. Please, that is not the issue; the issue is, let’s try and understand.

“And when you come to see me, please make it brief. We will serve you; we will serve everybody. We are here to serve. But please, part of the service includes bending down, reading, and making sure that we read through the lines; we do the actual work. If you come between Monday and Wednesday, and they don’t let you pass the gate, I beg you to understand.

“Sometimes, when I watch you on the camera, I feel sorry that you are talking with (security) people that are not even answering you. You are shouting at them, ‘He is not the first person in this Government House’. Everything you say at the gate, I hear it in my office,” Mr Eno said.

The audience laughed out loud, apparently on learning that the governor could hear whatever people at the Government House gate. Mr Eno laughed out, too.

Governor Eno’s delay in making cabinet appointments and other appointments may have contributed to pressure on him, as some politicians who were involved in his election are anxious to push through their political interests via appointments.

The governor is a cleric and founder of All Nations Christian Ministry International in Eket, Akwa Ibom.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt that politicians and entrepreneurs frequently visit the church for a possible meeting with Governor Eno when they get information that he would worship there.

Poverty in Akwa Ibom

Akwa Ibom, an oil-rich state, is one of the richest states in Nigeria, but it is among the top states with high unemployment rates in the country, according to data from the National Bureau of Statistics.

The state is ranked 27th on the national poverty rate ladder released by the NBS in 2019. The agency has not released new data on the state poverty rate since it was last published.

Many elites in the state depend on government handouts for their economic and political survival.

“We have the best road network in Nigeria. We have Ibom Air and a new smart airport terminal, which we are all proud of, thanks to your predecessor, Mr Udom Emmanuel. We have the Ibom Tropicana Entertainment Centre. We have one of the finest stadiums in Nigeria. We have tall, beautiful buildings. But our people have remained poor and hungry,” a cleric, Aniekan Essien, said recently in an open letter to Mr Eno in which he appealed to the governor to tackle poverty and hunger in the state.

“It was Mahatma Gandhi who said, ‘There are people in the world so hungry that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread’.

“I live among my people and interact with all classes of people. I can sincerely tell you, Sir, that it is the poverty and hunger among the people that have made it difficult for them to see the good in whatever infrastructure the government has put in place in Akwa Ibom. This is one of the greatest challenges Mr Udom Emmanuel faced before he left office,” Mr Essien said in the letter.

The cleric, Mr Essien, suggested a “sure way” for Governor Eno to tackle poverty in the state.

“One sure way to go is this: put aside your predecessor’s policy of awarding big contracts to only a very few companies,” he said.

Continuing, Mr Essien said: “I have noticed, for instance, that you have just awarded a contract to Hensek Integrated Services Ltd for the construction of Ndiya Street at Akpanandem Market in Uyo, even when this particular company is handling several other construction jobs in the state like the Airport Road/Oron Road expansion project.

“I am very proud of the quality road projects Hensek, an indigenous company, has done in Akwa Ibom, but the state government cannot afford to continue to constrict the construction industry in Akwa Ibom State, except there is a deliberate policy not to expand the opportunities for wealth-creation.

“Spreading contracts to other indigenous companies will increase the multiplier effect. More construction and allied workers would be recruited. More suppliers of goods would get into business. And certainly, more families would be happy for it.”

The cleric said the policy of awarding road construction contracts to many indigenous companies in Akwa Ibom was initiated by the administration of Governor Victor Attah and that it was sustained by Mr Attah’s predecessor, Godswill Akpabio.

“I advise that you request the Ministry of Works and Fire Service to furnish you with the details of the indigenous construction companies that got patronage from the past administrations of Attah and Akpabio, including their performance. From there, you can find out which companies performed well and how you can include them in your road construction plan.

“I pray that God gives you the courage to do what is right for the collective good of our dear state,” Mr Essien said to Governor Eno.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/610307-nigerian-governor-complains-of-being-distracted-by-too-many-visits-from-politicians.html

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by Llight101(m): 2:41pm On Jul 17, 2023
It's always like that.
He should just fix days for visitations maybe that will help.

FTC cheesy cheesy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by 001Lagos: 2:41pm On Jul 17, 2023
Before you became governor , you were begging them and even made many promises if elected . You've become governor now, you are avoiding them.

The office of the governor belongs to the people , the people should have access to there leaders at all times

83 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by ChatterHouse: 2:57pm On Jul 17, 2023
tongue
Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by PerfectStranger(m): 3:03pm On Jul 17, 2023
Heard he has started paying gratuities for retiries. Let him clear all the backlogs the former zombié refused to.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by Penguin2: 3:10pm On Jul 17, 2023
Should he be begging them?

He should be warning them.

And dedicating 2 days a week for visitation is still too much.

People and their sycophancy around those in power.

Somebody becomes something and generations unknown starts showing up to claim relationship.

No one will try that nonsense with me.

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by Racoon(m): 3:17pm On Jul 17, 2023
Put a restriction Mr Governor. Moderation is the key. Akwa Ibom people will never forgive you o. Time is not on your side.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by kingphilip(m): 3:47pm On Jul 17, 2023
Just what politicians know especially the career ones.

He has done well by allocating two days but it would have been better if he had allocated like 4hours on Fridays only instead to limit their visitations.

These politicians don't just mean well for the people sha. How will you go and be disturbing an elected governor at the start of the week?

On a second thought, I think he should use Peter Obi's template of visiting them instead outside working hours so as to enable him have full time to work for the people of the state who entrusted him with their mandate to serve them.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by FreeStuffsNG: 3:49pm On Jul 17, 2023
He is busy but still has time to listen to everything being said at the gate.smh

He should stand on his appeal for their understanding and truly get busy and forget gate talks.
Check my signature for free stuffs!

72 Likes

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by NOwazobia: 3:56pm On Jul 17, 2023
001Lagos:
Before you became governor , you were begging them and even made many promises if elected . You've become governor now, you are avoiding them.

The office of the governor belongs to the people , the people should have access to there leaders at all times
When you say the people, do you mean the polithievcians who are coming un-announced to lobby their way into appointments, and contracts? cheesy

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by Favour989(m): 8:33pm On Jul 17, 2023
Ok
Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by LUAN(m): 8:33pm On Jul 17, 2023
Akwa ibom people too like politics money.
Eno is already a confused being, it will be two months since inauguration with nothing to show

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by nairalee(m): 8:33pm On Jul 17, 2023
The way you align your door will determine how visitors will troop inl.

- Nairalee 2023

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by Iliveforever(m): 8:34pm On Jul 17, 2023
Oga, does this1 follow for excuse??

70yrs yeye old man

3 Likes

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by tunjijones(m): 8:34pm On Jul 17, 2023
That's how they do... Looking for favours up and down. Na them be d sycophants.

They will see what the governor is doing wrong but they will never tell him .

Useless politicians

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by Wizardslayer: 8:34pm On Jul 17, 2023
As you sign ogboni form, don't you think others want to sign as well.

Stop the joke please.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by id4sho(m): 8:35pm On Jul 17, 2023
Balablu, men need sugar. Stomach infrastructural development tongue

Why the governor no tell Dem during election/campaign period. Werey in disguise lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by Angelfrost(m): 8:35pm On Jul 17, 2023
Well... Mr. President isn't complaining! tongue

If Tinubu who receives crooked politicians in his office almost twice daily isn't complaining, why should a mere governor complain??!

He should let us hear word and face his mediocrity! undecided

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:36pm On Jul 17, 2023
LIE-nus MBA!

if ur visitors come wen u are about goin out to kickstart projects (dat is if u have any), wat is wrong if dey follow u to go do the work?

Are they more important than the ppl u are meant to serve?

werey politician!

2 Likes

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by marvellous2222: 8:37pm On Jul 17, 2023
This one just saying rubbish he

1 Like

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by Zico5(m): 8:37pm On Jul 17, 2023
Too many hungry politicians in the land. Only God can save this country

1 Like

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by HydraFeeds(m): 8:37pm On Jul 17, 2023
Myself gets uneasy when I have too many friends visiting let alone a government official that get unwanted visits from lobbyists that only care about their own interests.

It’s one of the reasons I dislike public office because of unnecessary but unavoidable romance .

He that has too much friends have them to his own detriment.

But Mr governor,where’s the happy hour you promised?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by chris20000: 8:37pm On Jul 17, 2023
You don enter office they form, when you were going about begging for votes nobody complained o.

Meanwhile

Budweiser Surprised Davido with a big cake after his successful show in Toronto where he sold out a 16 thousand capacity stadium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBwLPYCYYrE
Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by TriCee: 8:39pm On Jul 17, 2023
The same way they have been distracting Tinubu, but e no stop baba from making his inflation freindly policies.

It is called political re-alignments. They will not stop visiting until you tell them to stop.
Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by Princeton92(m): 8:40pm On Jul 17, 2023
PerfectStranger:
Heard he has started paying gratuities for retiries. Let him clear all the backlogs the former zombié refused to.

I'm in the state and didn't hear that 🤣
Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by AlabiKILLER2021(m): 8:40pm On Jul 17, 2023
States with highest unemployment rate in
Zoogeria grin

1: Ogun state tongue
2: Ondo state tongue grin
3:Akwa ibom state

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governor Eno Complains Of Being Distracted By Too Many Visits From Politicians by Eriggs: 8:40pm On Jul 17, 2023
Naso

67 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We South-southerners Are Not In For Any F**cking BIAFRA / "Advise Me In Writing" - Buhari To Alaafin Of Oyo, Emir Sanusi, Others / Obasanjo Backs Lamido/Amaechi For 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.