Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,709 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead (1200 Views)

How To Download Any Udemy Course For Free / How Can I Make Payment For Any Udemy Course With My Credit Card? / Youtube Is Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by Devdevdev(f): 10:05am On Jul 19, 2023
This thread is for visual learners like me who learn better when watching and coding along, as opposed to reading books. If you prefer books and articles, then this thread isn't for you.

I've wasted a lot of time trying to learn from YouTube and I want you to learn from my experience. YouTube is not a place to learn. Majority of the people that teach programming on YouTube are either idiots who don't really know how to code, quacks that just steal code from stack overflow and chatgpt, or frauds trying to get clicks by posting catchy topics.

The better you get at programming the more you'll realize just how useless YouTube videos are. I'm speaking from experience.

YouTube tutorial channels are massive time wasters that just scratch the surface of a topic and never explain what's actually happening or how the code actually works. They just repeat code they probably copied elsewhere and expect you to follow along. The result of this is that because the concept isn't explained well, you find yourself coming back to YouTube to understand it better, and you repeat the cycle endlessly until you get stuck in the dreaded tutorial hell.

If you want to get better at programming, get a high rated udemy course and follow it step by step. It may be 60-80 hrs long, but it's worth it. And that course is all you need to understand the subject. You can supplement the rest of your learning by reading documentation.

Udemy courses are taught by trained professionals who their job is to teach, not some quack who just feels like creating a YouTube channel to get clicks. The top rated udemy instructors are usually experienced tutors who teach not just those learning but also professional developers in big companies.

Udemy courses are well structured and they take you from beginner level to advanced, and if you are intermediate, you can skip the beginner sections and still learn what you need.

Stop patronizing programming tutorial channels on YouTube who just waste your time. It doesn't matter if they have a million followers.

The only YouTube accounts you should follow are people that are also high rated on Udemy And these guys usually don't even post their relevant courses on YouTube anyways so you are better off just buying their udemy courses.

Instead of Youtube, read documentation. That's a better use of your time. A word is enough for the wise.

4 Likes

Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by LikeAking: 10:48am On Jul 19, 2023
None are good.

That's the worst way to learn..

It's a time waster

It make the most simple stuffs sound complicated..

Why will someone watch a course for a month because they want to learn how to fetch ordinary API.

Something that can be learnt in an hour..

I prefer learning via coding.

1 Like

Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by Paystack: 11:27am On Jul 19, 2023
LikeAking:
None are good.

It's a time waster

Why will someone watch a course for a month because they want to learn how to fetch ordinary API.

You watch then practice what you watch.

The OP clearly said for virtual learners... They're some people who prefer learning with Ebook's or directly from the docs. Seems you're in that category.
But I don't think there's anyone into programming who doesn't use videos to learn, unless you're blind

1 Like

Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by airsaylongcome: 11:41am On Jul 19, 2023
I don't know about you o, but the authorities on some stack I use literally gave away very detailed training material on YT. One shot a 21 episode Playlist each episode diving into in depth detail. And he is THE AUTHORITY in the specific stack.

1 Like

Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by Purvan(m): 2:55pm On Jul 19, 2023
Op is def on ectasy

3 Likes

Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by Ronin1: 3:39pm On Jul 19, 2023

How about Udemy instructors that also have YouTube channels and post videos regularly, are they also part of the rubbish? angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by fastanddubious(m): 5:17pm On Jul 19, 2023
It's ok to state your preference without tagging those who share their knowledge on YouTube "idiots". I myself learnt a lot from YouTube and so do other programmers. Do what's best for you wink

5 Likes

Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by pixey(m): 5:22pm On Jul 19, 2023
Devdevdev:
This thread is for visual learners like me who learn better when watching and coding along, as opposed to reading books. If you prefer books and articles, then this thread isn't for you.

I've wasted a lot of time trying to learn from YouTube and I want you to learn from my experience. YouTube is not a place to learn. Majority of the people that teach programming on YouTube are either idiots who don't really know how to code, quacks that just steal code from stack overflow and chatgpt, or frauds trying to get clicks by posting catchy topics.

The better you get at programming the more you'll realize just how useless YouTube videos are. I'm speaking from experience.

YouTube tutorial channels are massive time wasters that just scratch the surface of a topic and never explain what's actually happening or how the code actually works. They just repeat code they probably copied elsewhere and expect you to follow along. The result of this is that because the concept isn't explained well, you find yourself coming back to YouTube to understand it better, and you repeat the cycle endlessly until you get stuck in the dreaded tutorial hell.

If you want to get better at programming, get a high rated udemy course and follow it step by step. It may be 60-80 hrs long, but it's worth it. And that course is all you need to understand the subject. You can supplement the rest of your learning by reading documentation.

Udemy courses are taught by trained professionals who their job is to teach, not some quack who just feels like creating a YouTube channel to get clicks. The top rated udemy instructors are usually experienced tutors who teach not just those learning but also professional developers in big companies.

Udemy courses are well structured and they take you from beginner level to advanced, and if you are intermediate, you can skip the beginner sections and still learn what you need.

Stop patronizing programming tutorial channels on YouTube who just waste your time. It doesn't matter if they have a million followers.

The only YouTube accounts you should follow are people that are also high rated on Udemy And these guys usually don't even post their relevant courses on YouTube anyways so you are better off just buying their udemy courses.

Instead of Youtube, read documentation. That's a better use of your time. A word is enough for the wise.
It is not rubbish but it is just that it is not beginners friendly as most YouTubers would say to get more views and subscriptions.
Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by pixey(m): 5:25pm On Jul 19, 2023
LikeAking:
None are good.

It's a time waster

It is usually the leading cause of tutorial hell for beginners. I have been there...
Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by jikins(m): 5:38pm On Jul 19, 2023
Ronin1:

How about Udemy instructors that also have YouTube channels and post videos regularly, are they also part of the rubbish? angry

grin grin grin

This is what came to my mind when I read the part she said Udemy courses are taught by trained professionals. Same Udemy that many youtubers that she's calling quacks have multiple courses.

The problem is not knowing how to find the right content. I remember about a year plus when I had to learn a new nodejs framework I had never heard of for a job. I search yt and found a Nigerian yt channel where he explained how it works. Obviously his use case wasn't the same as mine but it was enough to get me started after which I jumped into their docs and I have never looked back. Its now my favourite framework for nodejs.

You have to know what you want and where to find it. There are so many extra long video courses on yt from freecodecamp, microsoft and several other organisations that take you to the deepest part of the sea. Saw 1 for 40hrs+ the other day for machine learning I just added to my watch later.

You have to also realised every tom, dick and harry can post a yt video. So you need to be smart enough to first glance through what you want to watch and see if this video has what you need.
Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by codeigniter(m): 6:24pm On Jul 19, 2023
Because udemy works for you doesn’t mean YouTube is bad
Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by Sapeleboy911(m): 9:28am On Jul 20, 2023
None is perfect, even after buying udemy courses, you will still run to youtube for more info on a particular concept.

3 Likes

Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by von02: 5:44pm On Jul 21, 2023
Most of these YouTube channels also have their paid courses, where you can get the knowledge in-depth. I have seen developers who learnt and practiced from YouTube, stack overflow and googling, Even if you have the udemy course and you don't practice, it'll do you no good
Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by chukwuebuka65(m): 6:36pm On Jul 21, 2023
Nobody should listen to this girl. There are amazing teachers on YouTube.

2 Likes

Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by tollyboy5(m): 11:39pm On Jul 21, 2023
devdevdev at this point you need to be caned. programmingknoledge god bless that india youtuber that made me grasp c++ years back. grin grin grin grin

Olobe ni e o!
Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by Plus10(m): 7:24am On Jul 22, 2023
YouTube has been of great help to me ,I think it actually depends on what you want and how to find it correctly on YouTube.
Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by Xinjin: 3:08pm On Jul 23, 2023
What do you expect? YouTube is free while udemy is paid courses. Even still there are alot of quality videos on YouTube. I don't even think their is a YouTube alternative for short fixes/tutorials
Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by lightnonstop(m): 1:56pm On Jul 26, 2023
Devdevdev:

Please, can we connected. I like your view and opinions about tech. I will like to learn from you personally. Recently, you changed my mind to start learning C#/ Asp.Net with SQL. I love this, I feel happier. Yet, I know HTML, CSS, JavaScript and a lot of frameworks from them of which I can't mention here😀.
May I have your contact pls so we can learn together?☺️
Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by aswani(m): 8:36pm On Jul 26, 2023
I learnt all front end frameworks I use on YouTube, it's a great platform to start basing your knowledge on. I have actually donated money to some of the YouTubers because they did a super job for me.

Incredibly, the guys and gals are also pretty much up to date version wise so you are not learning outdated stuff.

Those people made my transition from desktop to web developer so very smooth.

If you want to do anything more specific or detailed, every single programing language, IDE and DB nowadays have free versions so you can easily set yourself up and investigate yourself.

I have both Pluralsight and LinkedIn learning accounts that I access daily, quite frankly, I prefer the informal and not so slick delivery of the YouTubers.
Re: Youtube Is Rubbish!! Get A Good Udemy Course Instead by Guderian(m): 9:18pm On Jul 26, 2023
Can you cut the crap already........

I really feel for the kind of people around you.
What happened to well detailed and educative playlist.
Visit reddit and see how some techies talk about being self taught with youtube alone.

If it doesn't work for you, you keep it to yourself rather than shoving it down peeps throat like some homofxxks

(1) (Reply)

Abeg Guys What Is Wrong With This C Code / [Programming Help] Html Experts Urgently Needed / Angularjs, Laravel, Magento, Twitter Bootstrap, Nodejs Are Some Of My Skills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.