Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,698 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy (745 Views)

Nigerian Economy Will Blossom, Says Dangote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Omooba77: 12:50am On Jul 21, 2023
As fuel prices continue to rise nationwide, a mudu of corn has jumped to N800 from N600 barely three weeks ago.

A market survey by Peoples Gazette on Thursday showed that in about three weeks, a mudu of corn is sold at N800, representing over a 33.3 per cent increment from N600.

The skyrocketing price of corn, one of the most popular grains consumed by Nigerians and used for animal feed, signals hunger as citizens grapple with hardship occasioned by the removal of fuel subsidy.

Mr Tinubu, at his 69th birthday colloquium in 2021, counselled the federal government on recruiting 50 million youths into the military and recommended that they be fed with “agbado” (the Yoruba word for corn).

“We are under-policed and we are competing with armed robbers and bandits to recruit from the youths who are unemployed. Thirty-three per cent unemployed?” Mr Tinubu said. “Recruit 50 million youths into the army! What they will eat — cassava, agbado (corn), yam — we’ll grow here.”

Subsequently, “agbado” became a symbol of Mr Tinubu’s campaign, with many of his supporters being addressed as “agbado” footsoldiers. But in a few weeks into his government, corn gradually became unaffordable for many.

The president, in his inaugural speech, announced the immediate end to fuel subsidy, triggering pump prices from N145 to N545. On Tuesday, the pump price hit N617, a development that further raised food items and transportation costs.

To cushion the ripple effect of the increased pump price, Mr Tinubu announced a $10, equivalent of N53 daily, palliative for 12 million households. The government, however, reversed the idea, which was trailed by criticisms.

In June, the World Bank reported that about 64 million Nigerians were at risk of a food crisis by August.

https://gazettengr.com/corn-rises-to-n800-per-mudu-as-subsidy-removal-pummels-nigerian-economy/

2 Likes

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by helinues: 12:51am On Jul 21, 2023
Toh

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Allardyce: 12:54am On Jul 21, 2023
helinues:
Toh
Toh kee you there. 🤣🤣🤣

Hunger never start to dry you like clothes wen dem hang for rope

7 Likes

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by HacheNoire: 12:55am On Jul 21, 2023
His Excellency, President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (GCFR) needs to work with the ministry of agriculture to step-up food production.

Large industrial estates should be set up and free mechanized farms should be allotted to any person of interest.

Nigeria has fertile lands that are just waiting to be tapped into.
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Omooba77: 12:55am On Jul 21, 2023
helinues:
Toh

Agbado expensive too......

1 Like

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Allardyce: 12:56am On Jul 21, 2023
Cassava, garri, and ewa will be trembling right now. If corn can be affected, who are they? grin

3 Likes

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by UnknownGunMan: 12:58am On Jul 21, 2023
Very soon, even the agbado sef una no go fit afford. All of una go get sense by force grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by UnknownGunMan: 12:58am On Jul 21, 2023
helinues:
Toh

Anytime you see any painful post about una APC govt, na Toh dey follow am

4 Likes

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Allardyce: 1:00am On Jul 21, 2023
HacheNoire:
His Excellency, President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (GCFR) needs to work with the ministry of agriculture to step-up food production.

Large industrial estates should be set up and free mechanized farms should be allotted to any person of interest.

Nigeria has fertile lands that are just waiting to be tapped into.

By the time Tinubu is done with you, you go rest. grin

Wetin never rise na "salary"

1 Like

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Zxcvbnmghtr: 1:02am On Jul 21, 2023
grin

The same people making a mockery of corn, agbado will come here to complain about why the price of corn has gone up and can't afford it. grin

Nawa for these set of human beings. grin

The same people wishing that Tinubu's government to be all about suffering, are the same people complaining about the 'sufferness'.

Nawa for some set of human beings. grin

2 Likes

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by HacheNoire: 1:03am On Jul 21, 2023
Allardyce:
By the time Tinubu is done with you, you go rest. grin

Wetin never rise na "salary"

His Excellency, President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (GCFR) is working on it. Be patient.

1 Like

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Allardyce: 1:10am On Jul 21, 2023
HacheNoire:

His Excellency, President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (GCFR) is working on it. Be patient.
You and who dey do that patient? Do I look like someone begging from scrum or licking the arse of Tinubu before I eat?

Enjoying my life here in a very wonderful country and laughing at you dunce that elected a drug lord grin

1 Like

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by HacheNoire: 1:13am On Jul 21, 2023
Allardyce:
You and who dey do that patient? Do I look like someone begging from scrum or licking the arse of Tinubu before I eat?

Enjoying my life here in a very wonderful country and laughing at you dunce that elected a drug lord grin

Every nation is wonderful with its ills.

People are also enjoying Nigeria. Not all is suffering. We have the struggling lower class in every nation!

1 Like

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Allardyce: 1:15am On Jul 21, 2023
HacheNoire:

Every nation is wonderful with its ills.

People are also enjoying Nigeria. Not all is suffering. We have the struggling lower class in every nation!
APC always giving this silly excuse.

Didn't you enjoy Nigeria during the PDP 16yrs?

Oya find another excuse 😂😂
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by HacheNoire: 1:17am On Jul 21, 2023
Allardyce:
APC always giving this silly excuse.

Didn't you enjoy Nigeria during the PDP 16yrs?

Oya find another excuse 😂😂

Did everyone enjoy Nigeria in those 16 years? Was the poverty rate 0%

Every administration has its ills and benefits. And what did PDP achieve in 16 years? GSM

1 Like

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Guestlander: 1:21am On Jul 21, 2023
Obidients checking out the prices of corn 🌽. Lol
Millionaires crying over the prices of petrol ⛽️ LWKMD.
Hypocrisy of the highest order.
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Allardyce: 1:23am On Jul 21, 2023
HacheNoire:

Did everyone enjoy Nigeria in those 16 years? What the poverty rate 0%

Every administration has its ills and benefits. And what did PDP achieve in 16 years? GSM

I asked you a simple question, did you not enjoy the PDP 16yrs administration?

Mention one laudable APC achievement aside Banditry, Nepotism, Jail Breaks, Ethnic bigotry and extreme poverty.
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by HacheNoire: 1:30am On Jul 21, 2023
Allardyce:

Mention one laudable APC achievement aside Banditry, Nepotism, Jail Breaks, Ethnic bigotry and extreme poverty.

If it might interest you, The APC rule in Nigeria is one of the best in the world. With little, they have been able to achieve much. From Infrastructure, health, and security, down to unemployment, they have taken giant steps from where they took the baton.
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Zxcvbnmghtr: 1:33am On Jul 21, 2023
Allardyce:

And all of these started in 2015 lol. grin

Oga like it or not. This government is favouring me and my family and will continue to favour us.

I hope it will favour you and your family too very soon.
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by onomeabuja: 2:07am On Jul 21, 2023
UnknownGunMan:

Anytime you see any painful post about una APC govt, na Toh dey follow am
grin grin grin
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by limeta(f): 2:23am On Jul 21, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

And all of these started in 2015 lol. grin

Oga like it or not. This government is favouring me and my family and will continue to favour us

I hope it will favour you and your family too very soon.

See lies
Under brown roof legend
Zero one zero household.

1 Like

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Bitterhelineus: 2:28am On Jul 21, 2023
Helinues ayooooooooo

Yarimo food don finish

Dr unago C. Shege says it's good to burn calories

1 Like

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Bitterhelineus: 2:29am On Jul 21, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
grin

The same people making a mockery of corn, agbado will come here to complain about why the price of corn has gone up because they can't afford it. grin

Nawa for these set of human beings. grin

The same people wishing that Tinubu's government to be all about suffering, are the same people complaining about the 'sufferness'.

Nawa for some set of human beings. grin

Help me explain the nonsense you are talking.

Corn bragado
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Zxcvbnmghtr: 2:33am On Jul 21, 2023
Bitterhelineus:

Help me explain the nonsense you are talking.

Corn bragado

Lol grin. Nawa for these set of human beings. grin
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Zxcvbnmghtr: 2:34am On Jul 21, 2023
limeta:

See lies
Under brown roof legend
Zero one zero household.

Nawa for these set of human beings. cheesy
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Khd95(m): 2:44am On Jul 21, 2023
Na them chop corn pass, make them use ronu card to be buying at 400/mudu😂😂

1 Like

Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by kettykings: 2:51am On Jul 21, 2023
Notice how people like Reno will form busy and Rodgers news like this after his false, faulty analysis of the Nigerian economy
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Zxcvbnmghtr: 3:04am On Jul 21, 2023
kettykings:
Notice how people like Reno will form busy and Rodgers news like this after his false, faulty analysis of the Nigerian economy

Reno is right based on his point of perspective.
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Gondonu: 3:32am On Jul 21, 2023
It can just never be well with everyone who have a hand in all that have vefelok this nation including Tinubu and all his zombies.
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Zupay: 3:35am On Jul 21, 2023
Guestlander:
Obidients checking out the prices of corn 🌽. Lol
Millionaires crying over the prices of petrol ⛽️ LWKMD.
Hypocrisy of the highest order.

Basic level reverse psychology.
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Lama70(m): 4:03am On Jul 21, 2023
Omooba77:
As fuel prices continue to rise nationwide, a mudu of corn has jumped to N800 from N600 barely three weeks ago.

A market survey by Peoples Gazette on Thursday showed that in about three weeks, a mudu of corn is sold at N800, representing over a 33.3 per cent increment from N600.

The skyrocketing price of corn, one of the most popular grains consumed by Nigerians and used for animal feed, signals hunger as citizens grapple with hardship occasioned by the removal of fuel subsidy.

Mr Tinubu, at his 69th birthday colloquium in 2021, counselled the federal government on recruiting 50 million youths into the military and recommended that they be fed with “agbado” (the Yoruba word for corn).

“We are under-policed and we are competing with armed robbers and bandits to recruit from the youths who are unemployed. Thirty-three per cent unemployed?” Mr Tinubu said. “Recruit 50 million youths into the army! What they will eat — cassava, agbado (corn), yam — we’ll grow here.”

Subsequently, “agbado” became a symbol of Mr Tinubu’s campaign, with many of his supporters being addressed as “agbado” footsoldiers. But in a few weeks into his government, corn gradually became unaffordable for many.

The president, in his inaugural speech, announced the immediate end to fuel subsidy, triggering pump prices from N145 to N545. On Tuesday, the pump price hit N617, a development that further raised food items and transportation costs.

To cushion the ripple effect of the increased pump price, Mr Tinubu announced a $10, equivalent of N53 daily, palliative for 12 million households. The government, however, reversed the idea, which was trailed by criticisms.

In June, the World Bank reported that about 64 million Nigerians were at risk of a food crisis by August.

https://gazettengr.com/corn-rises-to-n800-per-mudu-as-subsidy-removal-pummels-nigerian-economy/

Oga journalist. You must earn your daily bread. Pele.
Re: Corn Rises To N800 Per Mudu As Subsidy Removal Pummels Nigerian Economy by Birniwa(m): 4:15am On Jul 21, 2023
I didn't go through the details of what you posted but I can categorically tell you that a mudu of corn is N1300 - N1400 everywhere in the North. If you can get it there at N800 per mudu, stock up as much as you can for you have a gold within your rich.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Www.1dollarfund.com / All About Paypal / Good Business Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.