Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,069 members, 7,814,691 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

The Real Name Of Igbos - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Real Name Of Igbos (4227 Views)

7 Stereotypes Of Igbos That Aren’t Always True / The "REAL" Hausa / Origin Of Igbos And Their Neighbours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Abagworo(m): 8:39pm On Oct 13, 2011
asha 80:

abagworo how do you post pages like this on nairaland.

Those are pictures taken with snipping tool.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Obiagu1(m): 8:58pm On Oct 13, 2011
God help us all.

So oha now means a different thing?

For fucksake, oha means "the people". Ohanile/Ohanine = The whole people.
Gwa oha eziokwu = Tell the people the truth.

Oha is not a name for a people!
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Obiagu1(m): 9:08pm On Oct 13, 2011
Nwoha = Son of the people
Ugwuoha = The people's hill
Amadioha = God of the people
Ikoha = Strength of the people
Ohaneze = The people and the kings
Ohakim = ?
Ezeoha = Ruler of the people
Onwanetirioha = The moon that shines for the people (Light of the people)
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Obiagu1(m): 9:21pm On Oct 13, 2011
ChinenyeN:

My father is a public speaker and he used to do a lot of traveling. I remember distinctly that he would sometimes use ohna to describe his audience. He would say something like "*yada yada yada* ohna akuo aka" or "ohna achia". Ohna eme this, ohna etia that. I've also heard other Ngwa use ohna similarly.

So it doesn't seem to me that ohna is limited to Igbo speakers.

That's true. Oha is not limited to Igbo speakers. An Igbo man in Lagos can say, if something happens for instance in Lagos and there was a gathering, "oha agbako ka ha mara ihe mere (People gathered to know what happened).
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Abagworo(m): 9:43pm On Oct 13, 2011
Obiagu1:

That's true. Oha is not limited to Igbo speakers. An Igbo man in Lagos can say, if something happens for instance in Lagos and there was a gathering, "oha agbako ka ha mara ihe mere (People gathered to know what happened).

"Nde madu agbako ka ha mara ihe mere".

The people of Ibaa through Chief G.A. Ezekwu thanked all those who contributed to the quick achievement of peace in the community saying God should bless them, especially the state governor, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, Chief Sampson Agbaru, Hon. Prince Paul Wonodi, Oha-nu-Eze Obelle, Hon. Emeka Wokeh, and Oha nu Eze Ibaa.

The people of Ilesa through Chief Akin Adurodolorun thanked all those who contributed to the quick achievement of peace in the community saying God should bless them, especially the state governor, Aregbesola, Chief Sampson Abiodun, Hon. Gbenga Ademola, Oha-nu-Eze Osogbo, Hon. Jide Oni, and Oha nu Eze Ilesa.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by Obiagu1(m): 10:00pm On Oct 13, 2011
Abagworo:

"Nde madu agbako ka ha mara ihe mere".

. . . and what's the meaning of Nde madu in English?

Just like Ifyalways said, Ohaneze does not refer to any people or place unless a name of a people or a place follow it.
So how does "oha" refer to the Igbo? If you say ohaneze, it is meaningless unless you add ndi-Igbo.

Ohaneze ndi-Igbo
Ohaneze ndiawusa
Ohaneze ndiyoroba
Ohaneze Obelle
Ohaneze Ibaa
Ohaneze Ilesa
Ohaneze Osogbo
Ohaneze Azari
Ohaneze Zaria
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by ChinenyeN(m): 10:06pm On Oct 13, 2011
Abagworo, "ohna" and "nde" are not the same thing. They have overlapping meanings, in a sense, but they are not synonymous.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by uckennety(m): 7:05pm On Mar 13, 2016
ifyalways:
Even at that,Oha or Ohaneze cannot be Igbo or linked with us unless when its written as "Ohaneze Ndi Igbo" kpomkwem.

While we are at it,Can somebody Please give me the meaning of "Ohafia" .

Simple people of d bushh or bushpeople
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by oyatz(m): 3:23pm On Apr 09
abagoro:

You gave out the answer when you referred to it as "ethnic nation".If you observe closely,we never use the word "Oha" for Yoruba,Ijaw or Edo.We can never say Ohanaeze Yoruba or Ohaneze Efik. Think about this.

Oha(Igbo) = Ara (Yoruba) = The people (of a town/Nation).
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by RedboneSmith(m): 6:08pm On Apr 09
oyatz:

Oha(Igbo) = Ara (Yoruba) = The people (of a town/Nation).

I thought ara meant 'body' as in singular. I didn't know it meant a group of people (plural).
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by oyatz(m): 7:02pm On Apr 09
RedboneSmith:

I thought ara meant 'body' as in singular. I didn't know it meant a group of people (plural).

Ara Ibadan= People of Ibadan

Ara Mecca= People of Mecca.

In the distant past some (not all) parts of Fon, Aja, Yoruba, Bini, Itsekiri,Urhobo,Ika,Igala, Igbo spoke dialects of the same Language in varying proportion.
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by oyatz(m): 2:44pm On Apr 12
RedboneSmith:

Ara means people of a city/Kingdom/Nation e.g Ara Ibadan, Ara Ilu-Oyinbo, Ara Kano etc
Re: The Real Name Of Igbos by TAO11(f): 3:24pm On Apr 14
RedboneSmith:

Different tonal markings.

Ara [M-M] = Body
Ara [M-H] = People

(1) (2) (Reply)

Miss Ogwashi Uku / Imo: Community Where Villagers Live With Monkeys / Why Do People Wear Native Wears On Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.