Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,508 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai (6126 Views)

Amaechi Is ‘clean And Spotless’, APC Tells Buhari / Only Buhari Is Clean In APC- PDP / Jonathan Is Clean And Honest – El-Rufai In 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by doublekay: 8:52am On Oct 08, 2011
Contrary to his scathing criticisms, former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Mallam Nasir El-Rufai gave President Goodluck Jonathan a clean bill of health on financial accountability and transparency on the international front,a fresh report by Wikileaks has revealed.

In a United States diplomatic cable just made public by the whistle blowing organization, El-Rufai described President Jonathan as “ clean and honest”.

Details of the confidential cable with reference 07ABUJA77, show that the controversial politician gave the endorsement during an interactive session with the erstwhile American Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr John Campbell, in the build-up to the 2007 general elections.

Explaining the rationale behind the emergence of late President Umaru Yar Adua and Goodluck Jonathan as the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) candidates, El-Rufai informed the ambassador that “they were the only two Governors that could have cleared the EFCC hurdles”

The cable further reported El-Rufai as stating that in the contest for the Vice Presidency, “Governor Jonathan was the only candidate that met Obasanjo’s guidelines- honesty and Ijaw”

The Ambassador’s report disclosed that “the Minister said the PDP leadership pushed for Rivers Governor Peter Odili as the Vice Presidential candidate but that Odili along with Governors Markafi (Kaduna) and Mu’azu (Bauchi), face ‘integrity issues’ with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)”.

These disclosures are in sharp contrast to the virulent and disparaging attacks by former minister on President Jonathan whom he is accusing of corruption, profligacy and mismanagement of the nation’s resources.

In one of his recent tirades against the President, El-Rufai alleged that he used “crony capitalist and state funds – variously estimated at between 1 and 2 billion dollars to facilitate his election”

He also accused Jonathan of “practically sharing out the nation’s savings account to state governors, Party apparatchiks and traditional rulers to buy their support for his presidential bid”

According to the diplomatic cable, El-Rufai denied nursing any presidential ambition but stated that his rumoured interest was only being advanced by his admirers including Obasanjo.

“When President Obasanjo called me to ask about my intention, I told him that I would do it, but that I had not campaigned for the position” the report quoted El-Rufai. It added that “According to El-Rufai, the president agreed with him and told him that there were ‘other bridges’ to cross before EL-Rufai was ready “

In the report, The former Minister claimed to have known late President Yar Adua for about 25 years and described him as an “odd fellow”.

vanguard news
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by PointB: 9:25am On Oct 08, 2011
El rufia current attack on the president is motivated by jeolousy, bitternest and hatred, steming from the fact that his hero - buhari was roundly rejected by the electorate. That is why informed Nigerians dont reckon with him and his hypocrisy.

By the has he cleared himself of all the outstanding corruption allegation against him?
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by kasiem(m): 9:40am On Oct 08, 2011
El-rufai is like a lurching avaricious man, who has left his kismet in the spondulicks. He's raison d'etre is to defend his interest always, that's why he can go hay wire whenever he feels sidelined by the gov't in power.
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by Rhino5dm: 9:47am On Oct 08, 2011
Dont bother reading through the jargons.

GEJ is clean and yet he refused declaring his assset.

GEJ is clean yet his wife still have a pending corruption case at EFCC.

GEJ is clean yet he appoints a corrupt guy that was indicted in siemen's bribery scandal, as minister of defence.

GEJ is clean yet Raymond Dokpesi(a terror sponsor) was appointed the head of his media in his campaign train.

GEJ is clean yet Alamiyesegha(ex-convit) was appointed chairman of his campaign train. . . .Let just bury all that and hope something good would come out of his government. Am outta hia.
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 08, 2011
in the words of gej

beer parlour rumour
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by werepeLeri: 10:35am On Oct 08, 2011
El Rufai - a double tongued urchin.
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by hakanai(m): 10:41am On Oct 08, 2011
doublekay:

Contrary to his scathing criticisms, former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Mallam Nasir El-Rufai gave President Goodluck Jonathan a clean bill of health on financial accountability and transparency on the international front,a fresh report by Wikileaks has revealed.

In a United States diplomatic cable just made public by the whistle blowing organization, El-Rufai described President Jonathan as “ clean and honest”.

Details of the confidential cable with reference 07ABUJA77, show that the controversial politician gave the endorsement during an interactive session with the erstwhile American Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr John Campbell, in the build-up to the 2007 general elections.

Explaining the rationale behind the emergence of late President Umaru Yar Adua and Goodluck Jonathan as the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) candidates,[b] El-Rufai informed the ambassador that “they were the only two Governors that could have cleared the EFCC hurdles”

The cable further reported El-Rufai as stating that in the contest for the Vice Presidency, “Governor Jonathan was the only candidate that met Obasanjo’s guidelines- honesty and Ijaw”

The Ambassador’s report disclosed that “the Minister said the PDP leadership pushed for Rivers Governor Peter Odili as the Vice Presidential candidate but that Odili along with Governors Markafi (Kaduna) and Mu’azu (Bauchi), face ‘integrity issues’ with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)”.

[/b]

These disclosures are in sharp contrast to the virulent and disparaging attacks by former minister on President Jonathan whom he is accusing of corruption, profligacy and mismanagement of the nation’s resources.

In one of his recent tirades against the President, El-Rufai alleged that he used “crony capitalist and state funds – variously estimated at between 1 and 2 billion dollars to facilitate his election”

He also accused Jonathan of “practically sharing out the nation’s savings account to state governors, Party apparatchiks and traditional rulers to buy their support for his presidential bid”

According to the diplomatic cable, El-Rufai denied nursing any presidential ambition but stated that his rumoured interest was only being advanced by his admirers including Obasanjo.

“When President Obasanjo called me to ask about my intention, I told him that I would do it, but that I had not campaigned for the position” the report quoted El-Rufai. It added that “According to El-Rufai, the president agreed with him and told him that there were ‘other bridges’ to cross before EL-Rufai was ready “

In the report, The former Minister claimed to have known late President Yar Adua for about 25 years and described him as an “odd fellow”.

vanguard news

If you read this area of the caption you would note that it was based on one man's standard oga Obj!!! EFCC track and prosecuted people as wanted by Obj and cleared only people they want.So how do we grade the facts and means of clearing such a person.
Until date Obj has not being questioned or queried in anyway by EFCC during or after his government even where it remains a fact PHCN power projects causing the nation billions in dollars under his nose with nothing to show for was an obvious and out right scam.Also the COJA games that cost the country a stadium aka national stadium Abuja crazy amounts.
GEJ maybe clean and honest but frankly lacking in merits as a leader.Being just honest and clean doesn't make you a good leader considering we accept EFCC clearing of GEJ.Let me tell you Abdullahi Adamu of Nasarrawa is a qualified thief yet he kept coming back to power without questions under OBJ.
Without doubt GEJ has kept quiet while people stole around him.Mostly so he could be left to alone,despite being capable of stopping such to save the nation from decay as the president.
Honest and clean?Lets check the records since he took power in a year plus and compare spending to visible implementation of such budgets.presidential level and then at state level to see his role to ensure accountability.
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by werepeLeri: 10:45am On Oct 08, 2011
^^^

Go and tell that to El rufai.
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by doctokwus: 12:09pm On Oct 08, 2011
Most times Wikileaks reports are cited with detailed cable reports and references,beer parlour gist or not;but in d case above I dnt c such and d quote is so thin.It gets more suspicious when its sed dat GEJ and Yar'Adua where d only 2 governors dat cud scale d EFCC hurdle;dat got me laughing my ribs off because even while seeming taciturn as a gov den,yaradua and his wife were known to involved in diversion of state funds;talkless of GEJ.
Besides show me one clean gov in nigeria and I will show u d shroud Jesus Christ wore
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by werepeLeri: 12:26pm On Oct 08, 2011
^^^

where is your proof that Yar Adua was diverting state funds as a governor?
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by doctokwus: 4:44pm On Oct 08, 2011
^^^Where is your proof dat he was "clean"
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by arsenefc: 9:48pm On Oct 08, 2011
doctokwus:

^^^Where is your proof dat he was "clean"

Does he look dirty to you?

His clothes are always well ironed and there is no evidence he has body odor or halitosis. I think he is clean too, No?
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by 2mch(m): 9:50pm On Oct 08, 2011
arsenefc:

His clothes are always well ironed and there is no evidence he has body odor or halitosis. I think he is clean too, No?

Did you get a new job? you were quite neutral. undecided
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by arsenefc: 9:55pm On Oct 08, 2011
2mch:

Did you get a new job? you were quite neutral. undecided

I am always neutral. The guy looks clean, no be so?
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by cold(m): 4:43am On Oct 09, 2011
arsenefc:

These are one of the few times i've had to let out a chuckle at your post.But then again how would we know he hasn't got halitosis undecided
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by Beaf: 5:42am On Oct 09, 2011
El-Rufai thought he would become a minister, but when GEJ thought otherwise, di man come begin vex wella!
since then, it has been story upon story from El-Rufai.
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by Nobody: 5:56am On Oct 09, 2011
its really very simple

there is a world of difference between the cables from campbell and those from sanders

the man campbell was running on the rumour mill, while sanders was dishing the real dirt

probably one of the reasons why he was put there in the first place, so they could get useful intelligence
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by doctokwus: 6:57am On Oct 09, 2011
Dis latest wikileaks 'cable',unlike d others whc were "beer parlour" gossips,sounds like 'KPARAGA table' gossips
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by idy4eva: 7:42am On Oct 09, 2011
NL i think we have missed some part of the gist.
I dont really think El-Rufai is double speaking,etc.
This was the opinion in 2007 when GEJ did nt have ANY say and i wil say was RELATIVELY clean. Bt 2011, it's a big difference.
He squandared our resources 2 remain in power.
Am sorry bt someday we'l have to leave sentiments. My issue wt GEJ is he seem so incapable and the South South voted sentiment not quality tho honestly i didnt see any QUALITY except may be Chris Okotie.
GEJ has been a public servant 4rm birth.
I KNOW he's corrupt, else let him declare hs assets honestly.
Anythg above N50million. There's a question mark
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by JomoGbomo2(m): 8:02am On Oct 09, 2011
^^^ you are the only one that read the report, it was based on his comment in 2007, I think 4 years is enough to change someone's view about anything.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying El-Rufai is himself clean, but I see good points in his recent criticism of the government and I think it wil be better off if we work on the point raised instead of killing the messenger.
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by almahroof: 8:08am On Oct 09, 2011
El Rufai claiming that Good luck is honest ridiculous and funny, I am sure he is seeking relevance in the new government or trying to avoid arrest as the senate is about rounding off their findings in BPE
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by dustydee: 9:08am On Oct 09, 2011

The comments were made before the 2007 elections. Now that GEJ is the president things have changed. He said GEj used state funds for his electoral campaign this year not 2007. wetin concern 2007 and now? He may have been honest at that time but what about now? Also, he never stated that he did well as a governor. It was just two criteria set by lord OBJ(Honesty- which is subjective and Ijaw). I long for the day Nigerians will elect their leaders based on ability and capacity to deliver rather than sentiments.
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by hakanai(m): 9:41am On Oct 09, 2011
werepeLeri:

^^^

Go and tell that to El rufai.

From my bolded qoute you can see Obj used honest and Ijaw for minimum requirement for Nigeria.Also we know that its not like GEJ was completely clean but cleaner than the likes of Odili and co.While EFCC was used to clear people,i dey laugh.The same EFCC that was and is known for witch hunting and double standard.Give us a break abeg. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Oya let GEJ declare his asset and cash make we know how far.Also state what he got as governor and what projects such monies went to.Plus his recent expenditure from Vp to acting to presido. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Lets confirm if it is true he spent well over 100 billion naira for elections,contrary to electoral laws and the sources of funding.That alone i tell you would incriminate him beyond doubt.May i ask,why is Turai not visited by the EFCC till date?especially since accusations have being flying about her spendings under her husbands tenure.
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by Otunbakay(m): 9:47am On Oct 09, 2011
almahroof:

El Rufai claiming that Good luck is honest ridiculous and funny, I am sure he is seeking relevance in the new government or trying to avoid arrest as the senate is about rounding off their findings in BPE
It' obvious u dont even understand d op post. Is it a must u must comment? busy body.
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by BetaThings: 9:55am On Oct 09, 2011
The same Wikileaks told us that in the Opinion of Sanders (before GEJ became president) "Jonathan appears honest now, but no one knows what he might become when he gets power"
This is similar to what El Rufai said in 2007
Obasanjo wanted them to select 2 people and they ranked Yaradua and Jonathan as the most honest at the time
After 4 years of sharing power, El-Rufai how changed his mind about the 2
Afterall a lot of Nigerians believed in luck in April this year. But there eyes are clear now
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 09, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Dont bother reading through the jargons.

GEJ is clean and yet he refused declaring his assset.

GEJ is clean yet his wife still have a pending corruption case at EFCC.

GEJ is clean yet he appoints a corrupt guy that was indicted in siemen's bribery scandal, as minister of defence.

GEJ is clean yet Raymond Dokpesi(a terror sponsor) was appointed the head of his media in his campaign train.

GEJ is clean yet Alamiyesegha(ex-convit) was appointed chairman of his campaign train. . . .Let just bury all that and hope something good would come out of his government. Am outta hia.
is an x-convict not a human bein or becos yr father has nt been caught yet::: learned pple are advocatin for a country wher x-convicts will be admited back to d society to compete normaly wt any1 because after servin a jail term, it is assumed dat he is a changed man::: u said X-KONvict; not convict::: as an x-convict; he is styl more competent dan all d learned elderz in yr village:: so GEJ is not clean & honest enuf in yr blind view because he chose alamco as campain manager::: mumu
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by luluosas(m): 2:35pm On Oct 09, 2011
almahroof:

Mumu, the news is in the year 2007, not 2011. Olodo, ordeh. Are you dreaming?
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by aaaosas(m): 6:01pm On Oct 09, 2011
I can't beleive this!

Our politicians are using JUJU on Nigerians.
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by PointB: 9:38am On Oct 10, 2011
Beaf:

El-Rufai thought he would become a minister, but when GEJ thought otherwise, di man come begin vex wella!
since then, it has been story upon story from El-Rufai.

Stories willl he continue to tell, and straws will he continue to clucth like the proverbial drowning man. El Rufia is a disgrace!
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by Beaf: 9:47am On Oct 10, 2011
PointB:

Stories willl he continue to tell, and straws will he continue to clucth like the proverbial drowning man. El Rufia is a disgrace!

Exactly. grin
In the meantime, I can see how extremely pained some are that the man who stands on their tainted pulpit declared GEJ to be both clean and honest. Winshes and their cackling ways. grin
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by aljharem3: 9:54am On Oct 10, 2011
Beaf:

Exactly. grin
In the meantime, I can see how extremely pained some are that the man who stands on their tainted pulpit declared GEJ to be both clean and honest. Winshes and their cackling ways. grin

Beaf keep deceiving the gullible

is this not you and el-rufia
Re: Jonathan Is Clean, Honest – Wikileaks Quotes El-rufai by Beaf: 9:55am On Oct 10, 2011
^
Why do you always derail topics? I don't understand, is it a poor brain quality issue?

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHCN Workers Move To Disrupt Electricity Supply / Why Is Anambra State Always In The News ? / Breaking:tension As Soldiers Clash With Militants Inside Creek, Many Feared Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.