Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,740 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

How To Write A Literature Review (3 Tips For Post-graduate Students) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Write A Literature Review (3 Tips For Post-graduate Students) (133 Views)

WASSCE 2020 - 3 Tips On How To Pass Your WAEC 2020 Exam / JAMB: Report Any Institution That Charges More Than N2000 For Post-UTME / Akwa Ibom State University Charges N10,500 For Post-UTME Screening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Write A Literature Review (3 Tips For Post-graduate Students) by Suhaibu(m): 6:19am On Jul 25, 2023
Contrary to what you might think (that writing a literature review is about downloading, reading, and reporting what past scholars have written about a particular topic), high-quality literature review writing goes beyond that.

The original lit review is about clarity. It’s about listening—attentively about what is being said. It’s about understanding and responding to previous studies related to your lit review topic.

Over the last 10 years in academia, I have tutored hundreds of college students about the science and art of academic writing and written and published tons of literature reviews and research papers—all without going insane.

I know. Deep inside your mind, you probably might be thinking: “That’s not for me. I can't even write a 500-word essay; how can I even dream of writing a lit review chapter? Don’t be scared.

Here are 3 smart tips to guide you:

Tip #1: What issues are being discussed among the group of researchers on this subject?

Your first task, when writing a literature review, is to research the topical issues that other researchers are discussing about your research topic.

Consider lit review writing as going to a technology conference in your local community. Upon your arrival, you meet several smart guys debating about a particular topic. You wouldn’t just open your mouth to join the conversation.
Why not?

Because you don’t fully understand the nitty-gritty of what they are debating. Before you chip in, you first need to listen to the ongoing conversation. The goal here is to familiarize yourself with the content of the discussion for it will provide you with the context that will help you respond in due course.

Also, as you listen to understand the meat of the discussion, you should try to figure out the most intelligent and respected guys in the room…so you can reference them later—when you’ll have joined the discussion.

Tip #2: Among this group of researchers, who are the most popular discussants, whose viewpoints are often cited?

Sure, a couple of hundred people are chatting at this technology conference that you have attended, but some guys just stand out from the crowd.

If you observe the room, you probably will notice that almost everyone who utters a word begins by saying one of these lines. “I agree with person A; what he says truly makes sense. I also experienced a similar situation back during my early college days… Or “I don’t agree with person A’s point of view; she’s being sentimental. The truth of the matter is that… Or “I think person C knows nothing about computers; how can he speak ill about Apple, given that…”

It doesn't matter whether persons A, B, and C are always correct; it’s just that their views are the most talked about at this conference.
Literature review writing works just like this heated conversation that’s going on at this conference. You must identify the popular talkers (studies), note their viewpoints (arguments), and start thinking about how to respond to them (your contribution).

Tip #3: While noting their key arguments, ask a critical question: What errors did these notable researchers commit?

You must go beyond agreeing with what everyone said about your research topic.

You must read between the lines, analyze the themes being discussed, scrutinize the methods used by the researchers, critique their reasoning, and question their research questions. Your task is to help the discussion and make it better—by offering an alternative view, not just reporting or regurgitating past studies.

Your literature review must contribute to the general stock of knowledge on the subject you’re writing.
If it didn’t contribute anything (by coming up with something new), then you’re not writing anything.

And no one will even look at you, not to talk of admiring your views, at that technology conference that you’re attending.

Re: How To Write A Literature Review (3 Tips For Post-graduate Students) by santakris(m): 6:41am On Jul 25, 2023
Educating and informative
Re: How To Write A Literature Review (3 Tips For Post-graduate Students) by Suhaibu(m): 7:48am On Jul 25, 2023
Thank you for taking the time to read the post.

(1) (Reply)

Hero Emerges As National President Of Niger Delta Students’ Union Government / Fukashere Releases 2023/2024 Post-utme/de Forms / 15 Free Courses Online With Certificate In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.