Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,697 members, 7,831,177 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Careers In Data Analytics - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Careers In Data Analytics (439 Views)

My Data Analytics Journey / Data Analytics Enthusiast / Careers In Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Careers In Data Analytics by DataAlchemist: 5:40pm On Jul 28, 2023
Evening landers, I will be talking about different careers in data analytics, and this is solely for people who wish to break into the tech world but having no clue about where to start, especially the ones from the non-stem background.
lots of guys have seeked advice on how do they get into tech or land a remote job, unfortunately most are being misled, because you see advices like learn artificial intelligence, machine learning, seriously??(for someone who doesn't even know how to query a data with SQL..lol), some even go as far as suggesting cyber security. For this naija??
But they won't tell you, the years of hardwork you need to put into them before getting rewards from them..and they are not even entry level roles, they are roles you get after so much experience working and learning as a data analyst/scientist.

2 Likes

Re: Careers In Data Analytics by DataAlchemist: 6:15pm On Jul 28, 2023
So you need an entry level jobs in tech? data analysis is one of the numerous ways to start. And the good thing is that as a graduate, you don't necessarily have to abandon your degree..you can just niche down to an analytical role.. let's go through the various aspects of a data analyst.

1. Financial Analyst : saw a thread earlier this year about someone who was seeking advice on how to transition from accounting into tech. Why do that when you can just improve your excel skills, SQL, powerbi and some accounting softwares like Quickbooks? unless maybe you have interest towards real coding like software developers and co. But for someone who has no idea of which tech to break into, as an accounting, banking and finance, or other related degrees, you can move into tech without ditching your certificate. and doesn't require much coding except the sql aspect which is just a querying tool.

2. Business intelligence analyst : you from the art/commercial background? Studied business administration?? Or intrigued about presenting nice dashboards to stakeholders? at the same time wish to land a role in tech? then this is for you? just like No.1 all you need is excel, SQL and any BI tool..in addition understanding business processes and key performance indicator. To sharpen your skills you can learn ETL tools like the OLAP AND OLTP or talend.

3. GIS Analyst : for my guys in the geoscience background, just like me grin grin..this is for us, actually looking towards breaking into this after gaining my grounds in data analytics.
With just the knowledge of a programming language like python or R and a gis tool like Arcgis and Qgis, we are actually good to go!
All we do is analyse geospatial data..so you don't have to dump your Geophysics, geology certificate just to get into tech. Currently there is a ministry in edo state recruiting for gis Analyst and it comes with one year training, seems the future is good for Gis Analysis in Nigeria.

Marketing Analyst : this is for those who doesn't even have degrees but are good in sales, why not add marketing Analyst description to your resume rather than just sales rep? and doesn't require much coding except being proficient in SQL, Excel, Viz tools, social media analytics, sentiment analysis. With this you are a tech person rather than a sales rep.

These are just few of the roles out there..there are much more, but these are the popular ones I know.

2 Likes

Re: Careers In Data Analytics by DataAlchemist: 6:22pm On Jul 28, 2023
In short you don't need to leave your initial background before breaking into tech, and when you choose data analysis do not be tempted to move higher by learning artificial intelligence or deep learning without having solid experience as a junior data analyst..The data you learn with online, is entirely different to the volume of data you will have to deal with out there in the real-world.. as an R user I will say why learn caret when you can't even work with tidyverse package??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Careers In Data Analytics by sheDD(m): 12:47am On Mar 07
DataAlchemist:
In short you don't need to leave your initial background before breaking into tech, and when you choose data analysis do not be tempted to move higher by learning artificial intelligence or deep learning without having solid experience as a junior data analyst..The data you learn with online, is entirely different to the volume of data you will have to deal with out there in the real-world.. as an R user I will say why learn caret when you can't even work with tidyverse package??
can i have a talk time with you.
Can you allow it??
Re: Careers In Data Analytics by DataAlchemist: 1:25pm On Mar 07
sheDD:
can i have a talk time with you.
Can you allow it??
No prob bro
Re: Careers In Data Analytics by sheDD(m): 10:18pm On Mar 07
DataAlchemist:

No prob bro
what and what can i learn in Excel b4 i can move on to powerbi
I believe that's the routine excel>>>>powerbi>>sql

Or what do u have to tell me.
Re: Careers In Data Analytics by DataAlchemist: 10:26pm On Mar 07
sheDD:
what and what can i learn in Excel b4 i can move on to powerbi
I believe that's the routine excel>>>>powerbi>>sql

Or what do u have to tell me.
there are lots you need to know in Excel ( from importing a file to formulas to functions and dashboards)..but follow Alex the Analyst and Mike girvin on youtube to make learning more easier..

And data visualization is the last stage of data analysis (before reporting tho) so make (tableau and powerbi) the last thing to learn, after excel, go straight to sql, become proficient using sql and excel, then you can move on to power bi
Re: Careers In Data Analytics by sheDD(m): 10:51pm On Mar 07
DataAlchemist:
there are lots you need to know in Excel ( from importing a file to formulas to functions and dashboards)..but follow Alex the Analyst and Mike girvin on youtube to make learning more easier..

And data visualization is the last stage of data analysis (before reporting tho) so make (tableau and powerbi) the last thing to learn, after excel, go straight to sql, become proficient using sql and excel, then you can move on to power bi
where does python come in
Re: Careers In Data Analytics by DataAlchemist: 6:19am On Mar 08
sheDD:
where does python come in

python/R is optional at this stage, you can get a data analysis job with just Excel, power bi and sql...then you can move on onto python later, tho I personally prefer using R for my analysis (from cleaning to visualization) than any other tools..but it's not compulsory for data analysis.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

. / I Cn Open Lynda Premium Account 4 U 2 Learn New Skills Online & Get Certificate / Hello! Python Programmers Let's Meet Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.