Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,964 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

#AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics (640 Views)

How To Switch To A Career In Data Analysis / I Am A Nigerian Cybersecurity expert In The US, Ask Me Anything / How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by AMAAnalytics: 4:27pm On Jul 29, 2023
I'm an analytics manager with a fortune 500 company in North America. I work remotely and have my team across US, Canada, and other countries in Europe and Asia. I've had an extensive career with many global companies across 3 continents. I've trained and mentored many data analysts. I routinely conduct interviews for senior data analysts in all the companies I've worked.

I see a lot of interest in analytics on Nairaland, and also many "courses" on it. Some of the information there are misleading, and not practical.

Ask me anything about a career in data analytics, interview prep, job search strategy, how to pivot to analytics, what we look for in resume, and any other related topics on career in analytics.

Notes:
- I have nothing to sell.
- I will only respond to relevant questions on careers in data analytics, data science, business intelligence, BI Developer, Data Engineering and related careers.

Cheers
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by tonicyril: 4:40pm On Jul 29, 2023
AMAAnalytics:
I'm an analytics manager with a fortune 500 company in North America. I work remotely and have my team across US, Canada, and other countries in Europe and Asia. I've had an extensive career with many global companies across 3 continents. I've trained and mentored many data analysts. I routinely conduct interviews for senior data analysts in all the companies I've worked.

I see a lot of interest in analytics on Nairaland, and also many "courses" on it. Some of the information there are misleading, and not practical.

Ask me anything about a career in data analytics, interview prep, job search strategy, how to pivot to analytics, what we look for in resume, and any other related topics on career in analytics.

Note. I have nothing to sell. Cheers

Hey bro, good day sir..

Tho my questions might not specifically base on data analytics but still related sir...

1) can someone with mysql knowledge delve into data analytics?
2) How easy/hard it is to find an entry software engineering position in canada(for someone who is about to migrate)
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by Chimaobi302(m): 4:43pm On Jul 29, 2023
Okay
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by Chimaobi302(m): 4:45pm On Jul 29, 2023
How much can an Average graduate intern of civil Engineering earn as a fresh graduate that is about to enter the labour market and what are his developmental milestones that could be attainable as time goes on say 4-5years after graduation
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by AMAAnalytics: 4:49pm On Jul 29, 2023
tonicyril:

Hey bro, good day sir..

Tho my questions might not specifically base on data analytics but still related sir...

1) can someone with mysql knowledge delve into data analytics?
2) How easy/hard it is to find an entry software engineering position in canada(for someone who is about to migrate)

Hello.
1. Yes, MySQL will be very helpful. Most companies use systems with SQL server or PostgreSQL, but the syntaxes are similar

2. Entry level is becoming difficult, because many people are doing software development trainings with no experience. So entry positions are highly competitive and you probably need to network for it.
There are more opportunities for senior/experienced positions
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by tonicyril: 5:07pm On Jul 29, 2023
AMAAnalytics:

Hello.
1. Yes, MySQL will be very helpful. Most companies use systems with SQL server or PostgreSQL, but the syntaxes are similar

2. Entry level is becoming difficult, because many people are doing software development trainings with no experience. So entry positions are highly competitive and you probably need to network for it.
There are more opportunities for senior/experienced positions

Thanks sir, secondly..

1) to gain an experience one has to have some real life work done with some companies.. in this case how do one get an internship position to achieve this, at least.

2) I wish to have a remote job/experience with company from outside the shores of my country please how do u think I can achieve this putting into consideration that I am still at entry level.
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by Mstechy: 11:32am On Aug 03, 2023
AMAAnalytics:

Notes:
- I have nothing to sell.
- I will only respond to relevant questions on careers in data analytics, data science, business intelligence, BI Developer, Data Engineering and related careers.

Cheers

I studied philosophy in a Nigerian University and I am on the move to reinvent myself by venturing into tech... likely data analysis.

Please recommend skills I need to learn
And good places to learn them too

And any general tip on my career path... thanks.

Currently I have self learned... Excel and MySQL...I am on python now
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by AMAAnalytics: 6:16pm On Aug 03, 2023
Mstechy:

I studied philosophy in a Nigerian University and I am on the move to reinvent myself by venturing into tech... likely data analysis.

Please recommend skills I need to learn
And good places to learn them too

And any general tip on my career path... thanks.

Currently I have self learned... Excel and MySQL...I am on python now

It's great you are learn these skills. But beyond individual tools, you need to develop your analytical thinking. Data analytics is not just about writing SQL queries. It's about generating insights from data.

I'll recommend you check Kaggle or other sources for actual projects to work on. That will help you tie all these skills together.

Also, you need some form of work experience. Not necessarily in analytics. It will help with your business thinking.

So it's either you have lots of funtional/domain knowledge and little analytical experience or little domain/functional knowledge and lot of analytical knowledge to get an analytics job. You can't be lacking on both front..

Summary, work on end to end project. Get some experience, maybe via internship or volunteering or junior roles.

Cheers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by princeemma69: 3:43am On Aug 04, 2023
I wish this will be taken to the front page.
Sir, as someone studying Economics and is not good in maths, which of these; data analytics, data science, business intelligence, BI Developer, will you recommend me to learn

2. How many months can I use to learn data analysis or business intelligence?
3. What are Websites or platforms to get entry-level jobs
Thanks
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by AMAAnalytics: 1:37pm On Aug 04, 2023
princeemma69:
I wish this will be taken to the front page.
Sir, as someone studying Economics and is not good in maths, which of these; data analytics, data science, business intelligence, BI Developer, will you recommend me to learn

2. How many months can I use to learn data analysis or business intelligence?
3. What are Websites or platforms to get entry-level jobs
Thanks

Hello.
1. It depends on my interest and ability. But definitely not data science. You need to understand statistics to excel at that. If you generally do not like numbers, them not data analysis as well. If you think you are thorough and can do things like setting up database systems, building data pipelines, building dashboards etc, then maybe you can consider BI Developer.

2. Unfortunately, not what you want to hear, but it depends. If depends on you current skill sets, how frequent you're learning and how quick you're able to understand new concepts

3. Leave this for now. Focus on the skills.

Now beyond the questions above. I'll recommend you focus on graduating from your current economics degree. On the side, you can learn SQL first and see if the data world is for you.

Cheers
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by AMAAnalytics: 11:48am On Oct 11, 2023
No new questions. I guess its time to close the thread. Thanks all
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by ANON333: 1:41pm On Oct 11, 2023
AMAAnalytics:
Hold on biggest of men. I tried one time to acquire this data analysis skill, and I was billed 800k for a six months program. Do you know of cheaper options?
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by Cjizzy(m): 2:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
I started recently, I am learning Excel from the scratch again and trying practice exercises too..
After then, I'd move to SQL..

It's actually interesting..
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by haybhi1(m): 9:19pm On Oct 11, 2023
Hi, first off, I'm an undergraduate in a medical field, but highly sapa-motivated.

I started taking 6-month Google Professional Data Analysis course on Coursera. It has 8 modules that explain the phases and stages of the programme and its tools. I'm currently at the fourth module, Process data from dirty to clean module. I've been exposed to different interesting tools, such as Kaggle, SQL, Tableau, Spreadsheets, and some others, as well as techniques like Foundations, Asking Questions for Data-driven Decision-making, Prepare Data, and Process Data. Analyze Data, Share Data, R programming, a major Case Study are the four modules left to explicitly cover for me to acquire the certificate.

My question is, please, can I use this knowledge and certificate to earn money as soon as I earn it?

PS: I'm also taking a 3-month Data Science course on the side. It's sponsored by an organization in the school, so I feel its certificate is inferior, I'm only banking on it's experience.

Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by haybhi1(m): 9:24pm On Oct 11, 2023
AMAAnalytics:

Why would you want to close the thread? You have no idea how many people would take benefit of the group? Some people would would take max advantage haven't even seen it yet. I feel a bit euphoria when I stumbled on it just this night. No close am o... make we no tear you swear o
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by AMAAnalytics: 12:12am On Oct 12, 2023
haybhi1:

Why would you want to close the thread? You have no idea how many people would take benefit of the group? Some people would would take max advantage haven't even seen it yet. I feel a bit euphoria when I stumbled on it just this night. No close am o... make we no tear you swear o
Okay, I've heard. I'll be checking in to answer new questions

1 Like

Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by AMAAnalytics: 12:17am On Oct 12, 2023
ANON333:

Hold on biggest of men. I tried one time to acquire this data analysis skill, and I was billed 800k for a six months program. Do you know of cheaper options?
Like most things, training cost varies from $0 on YouTube to $10K+ for some bootcamps. Some even to to do Masters in Analytics, and that costs a lot. I see some 2k Naira training sometimes on WhatsApp.

Before paying for any training, research the profile of the person teaching you. Make sure it's a professional, not someone that just downloaded materials online.

Also, check YouTube videos and take free Coursera courses, like Google Analytics course. That will let you know if you want to go all in and pay for a more detailed course.
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by AMAAnalytics: 12:19am On Oct 12, 2023
Cjizzy:
I started recently, I am learning Excel from the scratch again and trying practice exercises too..
After then, I'd move to SQL..

It's actually interesting..
Good plan. I see people that start from learning Python. Nah. At lot of data analytics is done with SQL and Excel/Google Sheet. Plus loads of soft skills

1 Like

Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by AMAAnalytics: 12:26am On Oct 12, 2023
haybhi1:
Hi, first off, I'm an undergraduate in a medical field, but highly sapa-motivated.

I started taking 6-month Google Professional Data Analysis course on Coursera. It has 8 modules that explain the phases and stages of the programme and its tools. I'm currently at the fourth module, Process data from dirty to clean module. I've been exposed to different interesting tools, such as Kaggle, SQL, Tableau, Spreadsheets, and some others, as well as techniques like Foundations, Asking Questions for Data-driven Decision-making, Prepare Data, and Process Data. Analyze Data, Share Data, R programming, a major Case Study are the four modules left to explicitly cover for me to acquire the certificate.

My question is, please, can I use this knowledge and certificate to earn money as soon as I earn it?

PS: I'm also taking a 3-month Data Science course on the side. It's sponsored by an organization in the school, so I feel its certificate is inferior, I'm only banking on it's experience.

You are on the right track, but note that if most cases, you have to build a career out of data analytics. It's not a get rich quick process. The Google Data Analytics course is very good, I can attest to that as I've gone through their materials.

When you're done, keep practicing and loot for an internship/volunteer opportunities. There's many Data for Good organization that recruit data analyst interns. This will start giving you real life appreciation and understanding of analytics concepts.

In terms of certificate, it doesn't matter in my opinion. I just completed hiring a Snr Data Analyst and the process took 4 months. I interviewed 38 candidates and my colleagues also interviewed some. When screening for resumes, I really don't care about the certification. I go to the practical experience section. Many people are able to game the system and write what is required there. But when I do first round interview for them, they don't understand A/B testing, regression or other concepts expected for a senior role

Summary, complete the program, gain practical experience, then look for a junior analyst role. You can also freelance
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by haybhi1(m): 8:59am On Oct 12, 2023
AMAAnalytics:

You are on the right track, but note that if most cases, you have to build a career out of data analytics. It's not a get rich quick process. The Google Data Analytics course is very good, I can attest to that as I've gone through their materials.

When you're done, keep practicing and loot for an internship/volunteer opportunities. There's many Data for Good organization that recruit data analyst interns. This will start giving you real life appreciation and understanding of analytics concepts.

In terms of certificate, it doesn't matter in my opinion. I just completed hiring a Snr Data Analyst and the process took 4 months. I interviewed 38 candidates and my colleagues also interviewed some. When screening for resumes, I really don't care about the certification. I go to the practical experience section. Many people are able to game the system and write what is required there. But when I do first round interview for them, they don't understand A/B testing, regression or other concepts expected for a senior role

Summary, complete the program, gain practical experience, then look for a junior analyst role. You can also freelance

Thank you, AMAanalyst.
I'm going to do just this.

Meanwhile, will the intern or junior role sha give me some change. This sapa strong abeg

1 Like

Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by haybhi1(m): 9:01am On Oct 12, 2023
Meanwhile, thank you for this thread. Please keep it open, people will learn a lot from it in times to come. Personally, I'll make reference to it regularly, and, in fact, I'd be happy to contact you always, maybe through it or outside.
Thanks anyway.
Re: #AMA. Ask Me Anything About A Career In Data Analytics by haybhi1(m): 9:06am On Oct 12, 2023
@Lalasticlala
@Nlfpmod
@Seun
You people should move this thing to FP. Let people learn and get an exposé

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

"must Read" Nigeria Is Developing. / Where To Spend Your Vacation. / Hpb Technology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.