Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,509 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? (947 Views)

List Of Casualties Of Lekki Tollgate Shooting - Judicial Panel / January 1966 Coup – The Biggest Mistake Of The Igbo Tribe / Buhari: 1966 Coup, Counter-Coup, I Was All In It, Says PMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Belafonte(m): 12:45pm On Aug 01, 2023
The masterminds and executors of the first ever coup d'etat in Nigeria claimed that they chose to take power from civilians because of mismanagement of the country. The government at the time was made up of representatives from all regions in Nigeria.

So, I've been pondering, there were quite a number of casualties, notable among them being:

1. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa (Prime Minister (Northern))
2. Ahmadu Bello (Premier Northern Region)
3. Ladoke Akintola (Premier Western Region)

There were other Premiers and in fact, the President was from neither North nor West but from a particular region.

The list of those spared are:
1. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe (President (Eastern))
2. Arthur Orizu ( Leader of the parliament - our equiv. of senate president) (Eastern)
3. Michael Okpara (Premier Eastern Region)
4. Aguiyi Ironsi (Who took over after the coup grin) (Eastern)

The coup plotters themselves were from a particular region, coincidentally(?) the same as the one where the Nigerian president and spared Premier was from. I'm just wondering what could have been the reason leaders from certain regions were killed and leaders from the region where the coup plotters were spared. Is it that northerners and westerners are poor leaders naturally and leaders from the coup plotting region are sound and effective? This is just me being curious. If the above is true, can we then say that this region with naturally sound leaders is head and shoulders above the rest of Nigeria in terms of development and advancement? If, however, this region is relatively indistinguishable from other regions in terms of economic and social metrics can we infer that the reason for them killing and sparing certain people was perhaps motivated by other factors?

Just musing here tbh. Anybody with answers that can do justice to my curiosity should please come to my aid. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Felimax(m): 12:51pm On Aug 01, 2023
This very fact holds the reason why other regions remain skeptical on relinquishing power to this people.

Apart from the coup another one is the civilian war and now the agitation to break out.

These people do not understand the reason why the FG declared that war No Victor No Vanquished.

Our lack of historical fact it's a problem.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Earthstorms(m): 12:52pm On Aug 01, 2023
Belafonte:
The masterminds and executors of the first ever coup d'etat in Nigeria claimed that they chose to take power from civilians because of mismanagement of the country. The government at the time was made up of representatives from all regions in Nigeria.

So, I've been pondering, there were quite a number of casualties, notable ampng which are:

There were other Premiers and in fact, the President was from neither North nor West but from a particular region.

The coup plotters themselves were from a particular region, coincidentally(?) the same as the one where the Nigerian president and spared Premier was from. I'm just wondering what could have been the reason leaders from certain regions were killed and leaders from the region where the coup plotters were spared. Is it that northerners and westerners are poor leaders naturally and leaders from the coup plotting region are sound and effective? This is just me being curious. If the above is true, can we then say that this region with naturally sound leaders is head and shoulders above the rat of Nigeria in terms of development and advancement? If, however, this region is relatively indistinguishable from other regions in terms of economic and social metrics can we infer that the reason for them killing and sparing certain people was perhaps motivated by other factors?

Just musing here tbh. Anybody with answers that can do justice to my curiosity should please come to my aid. Thanks

Why do I have this strong urge to yab you?

Was okotie eboh, the then finance minister huasa or Yoruba?

You just create a thread for ethnic bashing

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Arapmoi22: 12:55pm On Aug 01, 2023
Belafonte:

So, I've been pondering, there were quite a number of casualties, notable ampng which are:

The coup plotters themselves were from a particular region, coincidentally(?) the same as the one where the Nigerian president and spared Premier was from. I'm just wondering what could have been the reason leaders from certain regions were killed and leaders from the region where the coup plotters were spared. Is it that northerners and westerners are poor leaders naturally and leaders from the coup plotting region are sound and effective? This is just me being curious. If the above is true, can we then say that this region with naturally sound leaders is head and shoulders above the rat of Nigeria in terms of development and advancement? If, however, this region is relatively indistinguishable from other regions in terms of economic and social metrics can we infer that the reason for them killing and sparing certain people was perhaps motivated by other factors?

It was because Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe (president), Author orizu ( Leader of the parliament - our equiv. of senate president), Michael Okpara, Aguiyi Ironsi and others were Saints cleaner than angels.

Those who believe other Nigerians are fools still want us to believe it was a coup for a better Nigeria. That's why the corrupt leaders from other regions were killed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Belafonte(m): 12:59pm On Aug 01, 2023
Earthstorms:

Why do I have this strong urge to yab you?

Was okotie eboh, the then finance minister huasa or Yoruba?

You just create a thread for ethnic bashing

Okotie Eboh was Midwestern Finance Minister. He's not from the region of saints na grin grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Belafonte(m): 1:00pm On Aug 01, 2023
Arapmoi22:

It was because Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe (president), Author orizu ( Leader of the parliament - our equiv. of senate president), Michael Okpara, Aguiyi Ironsi and others were Saints cleaner than angels.

Those who believe other Nigerians are fools still want us to believe it was a coup for a better Nigeria. That's why the corrupt leaders from other regions were killed.

grin grin

Let me borrow from your post abeg 🙏

2 Likes

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by orion7: 1:03pm On Aug 01, 2023
The people the compost killed where all useless fools. Simple. Another set are in power now. If they get what they deserve I won’t flinch.

Yoruba people are the problem of Nigeria. Due to thier cunning, cowardly attitude. Northeren Nigeria messed this country up because of them

Ibb handed over to shonekon because the northern men knew that they can chase him out like a goat in the barn and nothing will happens. And that was what abacha did

If an Igbo man was in shonekons place you literally have to kill him before you take power
Bunch of cowardly spineless fools

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by EngrKemp: 1:13pm On Aug 01, 2023
We are talking about serious hardShip and shege in the land so this ur tribal blackmail won't work.. Protest is around

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Ttalk: 1:14pm On Aug 01, 2023
orion7:
The people the compost killed where all useless fools. Simple. Another set are in power now. If they get what they deserve I won’t flinch.

Yoruba people are the problem of Nigeria. Due to thier cunning, cowardly attitude. Northeren Nigeria messed this country up because of them

Ibb handed over to shonekon because the northern men knew that they can chase him out like a goat in the barn and nothing will happens. And that was what abacha did

If an Igbo man was in shonekons place you literally have to kill him before you take power

Quite unfortunate that you the speaker of the saint region got no sense. Your vituperation is not different from that of an idiot. Your abuse will not change history. Deal with that

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Belafonte(m): 1:17pm On Aug 01, 2023
EngrKemp:
We are talking about serious hardShip and shege in the land so this ur tribal blackmail won't work.. Protest is around

Na you dey see shege. You better work harder, and pray to God for wisdom and provision. No government in this world can make you prosper. Know this and know peace.

The toil of a fool wearies him, for he does not know the way to the city. - Eccl 10:15

2 Likes

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by EngrKemp: 1:20pm On Aug 01, 2023
orion7:

Y would u fall for this cheap trap?

We r talking about serious protest in Nigeria
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by EmperorCaesar(m): 1:24pm On Aug 01, 2023
Its cause of Igbo zionist agenda but since they were actually fighting the superior tribes, Nature had to ensure they signed a life term contract agreement with failure since then

Tribe of defeatists cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by EngrKemp: 1:26pm On Aug 01, 2023
Belafonte:

Na you dey see shege. You better work harder, and pray to God for wisdom and provision. No government in this world can make you prosper. Know this and know peace.

The toil of a fool wearies him, for he does not know the way to the city. - Eccl 10:15
U r ignorant and naive. No citizen of EU is POOR.

Know this and know Peace

Bushman
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Godwin4444: 1:28pm On Aug 01, 2023
EngrKemp:
u igbos should try any protest

2 Likes

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by EngrKemp: 1:30pm On Aug 01, 2023
Nobody Should engage these people On this matter. Let them be allowed to smell their Foolishness
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Belafonte(m): 1:35pm On Aug 01, 2023
EngrKemp:

U r ignorant and naive. No citizen of EU is POOR.

Know this and know Peace

Bushman

Is that so Mr. Cityman? grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Bubu4Sea: 1:36pm On Aug 01, 2023
Belafonte:

1. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe (president)
2. Arthur Orizu ( Leader of the parliament - our equiv. of senate president)
3. Michael Okpara (Prwmier Eastern Region)
4. Aguiyi Ironsi (Who took over after the coup grin)

Why has Nigeria been trying to wipe out the igbos since?

You tried to wipe igbos out 1967-1970 but God stopped allah's people
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Belafonte(m): 1:38pm On Aug 01, 2023
Bubu4Sea:

Why has Nigeria been trying to wipe out the igbos since?

You tried to wipe igbos out 1967-1970 but God stopped allah's people

Sorry I'm a bit confused did Nigeria declare war on igbos anytime between 1967-1970?

Secondly, who are God's people and Allah's people?

Thirdly, which deity stopped the Biafran army from marching through Ore to Lagos? grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by garykoeman: 1:42pm On Aug 01, 2023
Why okotie eboh was killed and ozunba mbadiwe was spared is what I still don't comprehend.

Ozumba remain the most corrupt commissioner under balewa regime.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Bubu4Sea: 1:48pm On Aug 01, 2023
Belafonte:

Sorry I'm a bit confused did Nigeria declare war on igbos anytime between 1967-1970?

Secondly, who are God's people and Allah's people?

Thirdly, which deity stopped the Biafran army from marching through Ore to Lagos? grin grin
Nigeria started killing igbos, so igbos left nigeria.

When the UK knew that Biafra wont be easy to control like Nigeria,they got Nigeria to attack Biafra.

Without the help of the world,Biafra would have been Nigeria.
Doubt me,lets break and see how well each section will be.

As we know the parasites want to leech on grin
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Belafonte(m): 1:49pm On Aug 01, 2023
garykoeman:
Why okotie eboh was killed and ozunba mbadiwe was spared is what I still don't comprehend.

Ozumba remain the most corrupt commissioner under balewa regime.

Ozumba is from the tribe of saints bro. Keep up angry grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Belafonte(m): 1:49pm On Aug 01, 2023
Bubu4Sea:

Nigeria started killing igbos, so igbos left nigeria.

When the UK knew that Biafra wont be easy to control like Nigeria,they got Nigeria to attack Biafra.

Without the help of the world,Biafra would have been Nigeria.
Doubt me,lets break and see how well each section will be.

As we know the parasites want to leech on grin

Where were these killings taking place?
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Nwamazi8: 1:57pm On Aug 01, 2023
Some of you idiots probably don't even know that out of the 5 majors that masterminded the January 1966 coup, one was Yoruba and even the leader of the coup Kaduna Nzeogwu was more of a Northerner than Midwestern Igbo, the guy was born, raised and trained in the North, spoke more Hausa than Igbo and had no connection to the birthplace of his parents in Okpanam, present day Delta state.

Secondly another fact idiots here don't know is that there were more Northern soldiers who were under the command of Nzeogwu when he went to marched to the residences of Sir Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewa the night of that fateful coup, there are various documented articles written about this available to read on the internet as well. If this Northern soldiers were unwilling to participate in the coup against their Sardauna and Balewa, they would have easily resisted and simply even turned their guns on Nzeogwu, but they marched with him and participated in all the military exercises and actions.

Lastly soldiers from various ethnic groups participated in that coup; please look at this list of the participants in that coup and tell yourselves the truth if it was dominated by Igbos? Nigeria is truly a shit-hole, that's why we don't teach history in our school curriculum.

1. Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu(Igbo)
2. Major Adewale Ademoyega (Yoruba) author of "Why we struck"
3. Capt. G. Adeleke(Yoruba)
4. Maj. Ifeajuna(Igbo)
5. Lt. Fola Oyewole(Yoruba) author of "The reluctant rebel"
6. Lt. R. Egbiko(Esan)
7. Lt. Tijani Katsina(Hausa/Fulani)
8. Lt. O. Olafemiyan(Yoruba)
9. Capt. Gibson Jalo(Bali)
10. Capt. Swanton(Middle Belt)
11. Lt. Hope Harris Eghagha (Urhobo)
12. Lt. Dag Warribor(Ijaw)
13. 2nd Lt. Saleh Dambo(Hausa)
14. 2nd Lt. John Atom Kpera (Tiv)

Abeg for those that have sense, can you explain how the Bleep this list is Igbo dominated?

2 Likes

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Bubu4Sea: 1:57pm On Aug 01, 2023
Belafonte:

Where were these killings taking place?
All over Nigeria, go and find b4 you continue spewing rubbish
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by DMerciful(m): 1:58pm On Aug 01, 2023
Why not push for the Igbos to go so the rest of you can have peace?
Belafonte:

1. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe (President (Eastern))
2. Arthur Orizu ( Leader of the parliament - our equiv. of senate president) (Eastern)
3. Michael Okpara (Prwmier Eastern Region)
4. Aguiyi Ironsi (Who took over after the coup grin) (Eastern)

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by DMerciful(m): 1:58pm On Aug 01, 2023
Better for the Igbos to go so you guys can have peace
Felimax:
This very fact holds the reason why other regions remain skeptical on relinquishing power to this people.

Apart from the coup another one is the civilian war and now the agitation to break out.

These people do not understand the reason why the FG declared that war No Victor No Vanquished.

Our lack of historical fact it's a problem.
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Belafonte(m): 1:58pm On Aug 01, 2023
DMerciful:
Why not push for the Igbos to go so the rest of you can have peace?

My brother I cannot wait for Nigeria to split
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Cooletempa: 2:00pm On Aug 01, 2023
Because the plotters were by cannibals, murderers, tribal haters , religious bigots from the land of the beasts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Yankee101: 2:01pm On Aug 01, 2023
If you can answer that then you’ll know why there was a civil war eventually. This was the first domino
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Wutinky: 2:06pm On Aug 01, 2023
EmperorCaesar:
Its cause of Igbo zionist agenda but since they were actually fighting the superior tribes, Nature had to ensure they signed a life term contract agreement with failure since then

Tribe of defeatists cheesy cheesy cheesy

Fulanis in Ilorin say Hi, useless tribe by all ramifications, a tribe where men are weaker than women grin grin
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by Wutinky: 2:07pm On Aug 01, 2023
Cooletempa:
Because the plotters were by cannibals, murderers, tribal haters , religious bigots from the land of the beasts.

Only tribe in Nigeria with weak men like market women grin grin grin
Re: Why Were Casualties Of The January 1966 Coup Northerners And Yoruba? by garykoeman: 2:09pm On Aug 01, 2023
The question of patriotism, I’ll show here that the leaders were rather selfish. Of course one would concede that many of our leaders gave their lives for the country: Akintola, the premier of Western Nigeria, Sardauna, premier of Northern Nigeria, Sir Tafawa Balewa and a few others.

However, a letter from Nnamdi Azikiwe, who was in London during the first military coup of 1966, to Aguiyi Ironsi, the first military head of state, left an impression in a young Nigerian like me that even at the top, there were individuals who didn’t care much for the country. “Since this is a Herculean task which must be undertaken by all of us who are interested in the peace and stability of our Federal Republic,” Azikiwe wrote in the letter to Major-General Aguiyi-Ironsi, “I now inform you of my desire to return home immediately in order to be in position to discharge any duty, constitutional or otherwise, in which my services may be required.”

Constitutional or otherwise! You may note that while Zik scribbled his letter in England, two premiers were already killed. His prime minister was still missing, yet there was nowhere in the letter where he mentioned them. But he wanted a role for himself – constitutional or otherwise! Now take a deep breath and ponder that. It’s my opinion that this puts a question mark on Zik’s patriotic credentials.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ekwunife Dumps Pdp,joins Campaign Council For Gov Hope Uzodimma. / Biafran Militants Repulse Attack In Idabato Retains Control Of Oil Quarters / Ondo Begins Swearing-in Of Aiyedatiwa As Gov

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.