Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! (894 Views)

Gov Sim Just Played A Fast One On Wike / Presidential Election! Did INEC Really Play A Fast One On Tinubu? / Petro Is No Longer N165 Per Litre In Some Filling Stations. See The New Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by sammyscholar(m): 6:15pm On Aug 03, 2023
How some filling station attendants keep playing a fast one on customers!

Despite the exorbitant rate in the increment of fuel price, the bad eggs among filling station attendants have not jettisoned their horrible acts of cutting down on the amount of fuel that customers paid for. Unless you are dutifully watchful, all they need is for you to be distracted a little, then they will pull a fast one on you!

They have diverse tactics and they find it easy to carry out their notorious acts when they are two attendants manning one fuel dispenser nuzzle and also when you appear unsuspecting.

Now, one could come to collect money and try to catch your total attention while the other person sells the fuel. If you're not watchful enough, the one selling the fuel could swiftly dispense into your tank, cut down on the amount you mentioned, and immediately return the nuzzle to the dispenser. Because you didn't see the sale, you would not be able to tell if the liters served were complete or not, but the bad eggs among them would most certainly take advantage of your inobservance.

Another one is when you've packed by the fuel dispenser, and pulled the fuel tank lever underneath the driver's seat to open the tank but remain in the vehicle, waiting to be served. If the attendant happens to still be serving other people at that time, and who, incidentally, are not buying much fuel, say 2000 or 3000 naira fuel, they can quickly take the nuzzle into your fuel tank and continue from where they stopped with the last buyer if what you're buying is much enough to accommodate and conceal the consequent shortage on your fuel.

Also, another fast play from them is this: Let's assume you mentioned that you're buying fuel of 10,000 naira, and the attendant starts selling. After selling, say, 1,000 naira, he could stop selling. So when you repeat that you wanted 10,000 and not 1,000, he would say, "Oh, I'm sorry, thought you said 1,000," and continue to sell. Now, this is where they could play fast one on you. If you are not watching, he would continue from that 1,000 and sell up to 9,000 and stop. Now, you could assume that he returned the nuzzle to the dispenser and started again from zero. But he might not! So here, they rip you up to the value of the initial sale of 1,000.

Always stay alert and make an effort to step out of your car to properly monitor what fuel attendants are doing when selling to you. Leave no room for a dubious fuel attendant to rip you off your hard-earned money when buying fuel.

© Sam Tayo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by BoldBrainz(m): 6:25pm On Aug 03, 2023
grin grin

OP, this your thread brings back memories.
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by sammyscholar(m): 6:35pm On Aug 03, 2023
BoldBrainz:
grin grin

OP, this your thread brings back memories.
Memories of what? You used to work at a filling station?
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by sammyscholar(m): 6:38pm On Aug 03, 2023
Mynd44
OAM4J
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by BoldBrainz(m): 6:44pm On Aug 03, 2023
sammyscholar:
Memories of what? You used to work at a filling station?

Yup.
My first job in 2009.
Moved from it to a depot job in 2011.

All these thieving methods you listed are quite valid, but easily detectable when you pay slight attention. There are however other methods that even staring at the attendant and dispensing pump won't reveal grin.

2 Likes

Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by Ofunaofu: 6:49pm On Aug 03, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Yup.
My first job in 2009.
Moved from it to a depot job in 2011.

All these thieving methods you listed are quite valid, but easily detectable when you pay slight attention. There are however other methods that even staring at the attendant and dispensing pump won't reveal grin.

Do you mind mentioning those other methods
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by Cantonese: 6:50pm On Aug 03, 2023
Wayo everywhere in Nigeria. Infact Nigerians now outdo themselves wayoically.

Buy groundnut, na wayo end am.

Get mechanic, plumber, brikiller, na wayo.
Painter, wayo.

That’s how I paid one painter for six buckets of paint for my house o. After a few minutes, he returned with someone else to do the job. When I asked him why he would not paint personally as agreed, he said that he was a contractor and he could collect jobs and subcontract. I no talk. The other guy started painting. Somehow I looked at one of the buckets and wondered why it was opened, when it had not been used. The man replied “na so I see am”. A close examination showed a mixture of colors to add up. I screamed. It was very disgusting. The so called painter returned and I confronted him. He said “oga I think say you no go see am”. Of course I then went with him to buy a new bucket with the money in his purse. Thereafter I never invited him to paint for me again.

3 Likes

Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by Isokotolopia: 6:50pm On Aug 03, 2023
Ofunaofu:

Yes, so that we can learn frm them
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by BoldBrainz(m): 6:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
Ofunaofu:

Telling you is going to amount to divulging trade secrets in an open space. About two of the methods in question are even mostly employed by managers of NNPC outlets in cahoot with one or two fuel attendants. It basically can only be discovered by the DPR (Department of Price Regulation) that doubles as the body responsible for constantly checking the "completeness" of meters dispensing fuel in stations.

Sadly, that body hardly keeps up with its responsibilities, and when they eventually do, they simply take bribes and drive away to the next station.

2 Likes

Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by sammyscholar(m): 7:12pm On Aug 03, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Telling you is going to amount to divulging trade secrets in an open space. About two of the methods in question are even mostly employed by managers of NNPC outlets in cahoot with one or two fuel attendants. It basically can only be discovered by the DPR (Department of Price Regulators) that doubles as the body responsible for constantly checking the "completeness" of meters dispensing fuel in stations.

Sadly, that body hardly keeps up with its responsibilities, and when they eventually do, they simply take bribes and drive away to the next station.
Hmm
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by Prokaryote: 7:17pm On Aug 03, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Telling you is going to amount to divulging trade secrets in an open space. About two of the methods in question are even mostly employed by managers of NNPC outlets in cahoot with one or two fuel attendants. It basically can only be discovered by the DPR (Department of Price Regulators) that doubles as the body responsible for constantly checking the "completeness" of meters dispensing fuel in stations.

Thanks but we still need you to help millions of Nigerians out there....the economy is not smiling yet some person will still be milking us

3 Likes

Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by Ikaeniyan0: 7:28pm On Aug 03, 2023
Ofunaofu:

They fuel no dey complete
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by BoldBrainz(m): 7:28pm On Aug 03, 2023
Prokaryote:

Thanks but we still need you to help millions of Nigerians out there....the economy is not smiling yet some person will still be milking us

grin grin

Oh well, this one shouldn't hurt anyone but I can bet a tidy sum that most Nigerians have been served fuel of 1050 naira, in place of 1500. Or fuel of 1080 naira in place of 1800.

That one is mostly common with cab drivers, cause they're the ones most likely to buy fuel at random amounts. Whatever amount isn't a round figure like 2K, 3K, 4K, etc.., and I can comfortably assure you that you've been cheated at one point in time or the other.

Fuel pumps naturally display three or four zeros when cleared. You request for 2500 fuel. Attendant inputs 2050 on the side panel. He pumps and you're staring, when it gets to 1900, he reduces the nozzle intensity to the first step so it enters slowly, without you noticing. Meter counts and stops at 2050 naira instead of 2500. You're staring hard, but you can see a "2" and a "5", so you just pay and smile away cause the extra zero after the main amount makes it look like 2500.. grin

Some attendants are even brutal enough to sell you 200 naira fuel as 2K. All they have to do is dispense it slowly, engage you in a brief conversation to know if there was fuel in your tank or it's empty. Once you have fuel, you're the perfect prey. Once sale is done, you drive away, hoping your odometer will indicate once you keep driving.

O ti lo grin!

4 Likes

Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by brize(m): 7:29pm On Aug 03, 2023
Someone actually used the last point you made on me, I was very young then..... How I was able to put up a fight still surprises me till this day, i protested so hard that she got no option than to calm me down, in order not to blow her cover........ Na Nigerians do Nigerians.... Nothing you wan tell me

2 Likes

Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by Prokaryote: 8:00pm On Aug 03, 2023
BoldBrainz:

grin grin

Oh well, this one shouldn't hurt anyone but I can bet a tidy sum that most Nigerians have been served fuel of 1050 naira, in place of 1500. Or fuel of 1080 naira in place of 1800.

That one is mostly common with cab drivers, cause they're the ones most likely to buy fuel at random amounts. Whatever amount isn't a round figure like 2K, 3K, 4K, etc.., and I can comfortably assure you that you've been cheated at one point in time or the other.

Fuel pumps naturally display three or four zeros when cleared. You request for 2500 fuel. Attendant inputs 2050 on the side panel. He pumps and you're staring, when it gets to 1900, he reduces the nozzle intensity to the first step so it enters slowly, without you noticing. Meter counts and stops at 2050 naira instead of 2500. You're staring hard, but you can see a "2" and a "5", so you just pay and smile away cause the extra zero after the main amount makes it look like 2500.. grin

Some attendants are even brutal enough to sell you 200 naira fuel as 2K. All they have to do is dispense it slowly, engage you in a brief conversation to know if there was fuel in your tank or it's empty. Once you have fuel, you're the perfect prey. Once sale is done, you drive away, hoping your odometer will indicate once you keep driving.

O ti lo grin!
This one choke ooo.....God bless you Sir,no more big man na to come down make we reason the dispensary together.

4 Likes

Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by sammyscholar(m): 10:29pm On Aug 03, 2023
Cantonese:
Wayo everywhere in Nigeria. Infact Nigerians now outdo themselves wayoically.

Buy groundnut, na wayo end am.

Get mechanic, plumber, brikiller, na wayo.
Painter, wayo.

That’s how I paid one painter for six buckets of paint for my house o. After a few minutes, he returned with someone else to do the job. When I asked him why he would not paint personally as agreed, he said that he was a contractor and he could collect jobs and subcontract. I no talk. The other guy started painting. Somehow I looked at one of the buckets and wondered why it was opened, when it had not been used. The man replied “na so I see am”. A close examination showed a mixture of colors to add up. I screamed. It was very disgusting. The so called painter returned and I confronted him. He said “oga I think say you no go see am”. Of course I then went with him to buy a new bucket with the money in his purse. Thereafter I never invited him to paint for me again.
This is Nigeria!
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by sammyscholar(m): 10:37pm On Aug 03, 2023
Mynd44, take this thread to the front page. Nigerians have a lot to learn from it.
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by Zxcvbnmghtr: 10:44pm On Aug 03, 2023
grin

How about stations that configure their dispensers to sell at less than a liter while claiming it is a liter. You can know this when you buy fuel in a transparent gallon, that is well calibrated.

If you want to know petrol stations that have not so much adjusted their meter fraudulently, ask okada riders in town. The will tell you where you can get the best value for your money.

4 Likes

Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by skj1377(m): 2:40am On Aug 04, 2023
I ask for N7k fuel and gave him my ATM. He imputed N17k and sold only N7k. When he finished I told him oga your to give me N10k balance since you made a mistake with the pos entry. He did not argue. One just has to be sharp
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by sammyscholar(m): 7:02am On Aug 04, 2023
skj1377:
I ask for N7k fuel and gave him my ATM. He imputed N17k and sold only N7k. When he finished I told him oga your to give me N10k balance since you made a mistake with the pos entry. He did not argue. One just has to be sharp
Can you imagine! So if you were not watching he would tell you he sold 17k fuel!
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by sammyscholar(m): 9:53am On Aug 04, 2023
This is revealing!
BoldBrainz:

grin grin

O ti lo grin!
Re: How Some Filling Station Attendants Keep Playing A Fast One On Customers! by Skillsnigeria: 10:18am On Aug 04, 2023
Noted

(1) (Reply)

Can Nigeria Ever Be Like This Again? - (see Market List Of Foodstuff From 1984)! / N50 Metro Bus Services Crash Transport Fares In Borno / President Tinubu Appoints Dr. Baba-Ahmed Special Adviser On Political Matters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.