Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Two Nigerians Who Travelled To Brazil In A Ship Rudder Recounts Their Ordeal - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Two Nigerians Who Travelled To Brazil In A Ship Rudder Recounts Their Ordeal (1044 Views)

Victims Recount Their Ordeal At Lagos Christian Rehab Home (video) / Two Nigerians Die While Returning From A Nightclub In South Africa / Two Nigerians Jailed For £1m Phishing Scam In U.K. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Nigerians Who Travelled To Brazil In A Ship Rudder Recounts Their Ordeal by Darlingtonwrite(m): 8:36am On Aug 05, 2023
Two Nigeriansvwho travelled to Brazil in a ship rudder recounts their horrible ordeal

Two of the four Nigerian stowaways who were saved have described how they spent 14 days drinking their own urine from a ship's rudder before being saved off the coast of Brazil.

According to Daily Mail, the two guys described their amazing, life-or-death adventure across 3,500 miles (5,600 km) of open ocean from Vitória, Brazil to Lagos, Nigeria.

The four stowaways reportedly climbed into a compartment above a cargo ship's rudder in an attempt to reach Europe as they were supposedly fleeing the economic difficulties and political unrest in Nigeria.

But after two weeks of journey, they ran out of food and water, and as the ship sped towards South America, they had to resort to drinking seawater and their own pee in order to survive.

One of the stowaways, 38-year-old Thankgod Yeye, detailed the difficulties encountered throughout the travel in a story by the Daily Mail, calling it a tragic tragedy.

"For me, it was a horrific experience. It is not simple on board. I was trembling from fear. However, I'm here, he added.

Another victim, Roman Friday, 35, claimed that in order to prevent themselves from slipping overboard, they placed a net over the rudder. He also claimed to have seen "big fish like whales and sharks" in the ocean.

According to The Daily Mail, the victims were questioned at a church shelter in Sao Paolo after the trauma, and they were eventually saved by Brazilian federal police in the southeast port of Vitória two weeks after embarking on their journey on June 27.

It was learnt that due to the cramped conditions and the noise of the engine, sleeping was rare and risky.

Friday said, “I was very happy when we got rescued. I pray the government of Brazil will pity me.”

It was learnt that two of the rescued victims have since been returned to Nigeria upon their request, but Yeye and Friday were said to have applied for asylum in Brazil, citing economic hardship, political instability and crime as reasons for abandoning Nigeria.

Yeye, a Pentecostal priest from Lagos state, reportedly said that this year's floodwaters devastated his farm, which produced peanuts and palm oil, leaving him and his family homeless.

Regarding Friday, he said that his trip to Brazil had started on June 27 when a fisherman buddy had rowed him up to the stern of the Ken Wave, a ship flying the flag of Liberia that was berthed in Lagos, and left him there. There, he discovered three men who were waiting for the same ship to depart.

Father Paolo Parise, a priest at the Sao Paulo shelter, claimed to have encountered other stowaways before but never one this deadly.

Source: https://ribdo.com/news/two-nigerians-who-travelled-to-brazil-in-a-ship-rudder-recounts-their-horrible-ordeal

Re: Two Nigerians Who Travelled To Brazil In A Ship Rudder Recounts Their Ordeal by phorget(m): 8:48am On Aug 05, 2023
Why would they leave a ”prosperous” country where their president is busy signing documents for the progress of the nation...🤷‍♂️

2 Likes

Re: Two Nigerians Who Travelled To Brazil In A Ship Rudder Recounts Their Ordeal by Pepperdemisback: 9:15am On Aug 05, 2023
phorget:
Why would they leave a ”prosperous” country where their president is busy signing documents for the progress of the nation...🤷‍♂️
Since you have nothing in your empty skull, go and throw stones to kill lizards for your breakfast.

4 Likes

Re: Two Nigerians Who Travelled To Brazil In A Ship Rudder Recounts Their Ordeal by BigYash: 9:38am On Aug 05, 2023
phorget:
Someone who is busy planning to attact niger,you meant right? A country where the Senate debate ,if the poor should be allowed t to breathe or not.. Stop playing man.. These leaders doesn't give a fvck about you or those asylum seekers.. Their concern is them and them alone.. That is why Akpabio could tell you that ,they the senators who already earn so much,need salary increase.
Re: Two Nigerians Who Travelled To Brazil In A Ship Rudder Recounts Their Ordeal by phorget(m): 9:39am On Aug 05, 2023
Pepperdemisback:

Since you have nothing in your empty skull, go and throw stones to kill lizards for your breakfast.

But I'm not a Chinese, why should I eat lizards for breakfast?🤷‍♂️
Re: Two Nigerians Who Travelled To Brazil In A Ship Rudder Recounts Their Ordeal by Pepperdemisback: 10:49am On Aug 05, 2023
phorget:

But I'm not a Chinese, why should I eat lizards for breakfast?🤷‍♂️
Is like you are idle. You can do that to keep yourself busy.
Re: Two Nigerians Who Travelled To Brazil In A Ship Rudder Recounts Their Ordeal by Fejoku: 10:23am On Sep 01, 2023
See how the usual haters abandoned this thread because no Igbo person was mentioned among the stowaways. At least, one Yoruba person was among them. After voting out of hate, he decided to run away from Lagos as a stowaway to Europe. If he had succeeded, he will still be supporting the wickedness happening in Nigeria from his refugee status in Europe. This is how their hearts are conditioned.

(1) (Reply)

Army Arres$ts Sùspected K!dnapper, Salisu Dangani After Gun Duel In Ekiti / Obasanjo Slept Wit Son's Wife / Boko Haram: Army Kill 40 In Fresh Operation In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.