Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,543 members, 7,819,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching (569 Views)

Apostle Paul Okikijesu 2021 Prophecies: Crisis In Aso Rock, A Governor Will Die / Why Are Churches Still Closed Or Partially Open And Markets Open / "Passenger In Keke Turns Python, Swallows A Boy In Bonny" - Apostle Paul Umoru (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by joxxy01(m): 7:16am On Aug 06, 2023
This is a questions that has been bothering me for quite some times now and yet to get any satisfying answer... According to Apostle Paul in (1 Corinthians 14: 1- 19) tonguing should be done privately except there is someone to interpret.. But in our present day Church gatherings , members can blow in tongues for hours without any one to interpret it as taught by Paul and it has become a norm. Please I need and enlightenment is this not abnormal?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by otipoju(m): 7:39am On Aug 06, 2023
They do it to create the impression that they are Spirit filled. Meanwhile all na lamba

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by GreatAchiever1: 7:44am On Aug 06, 2023
It is because churches has forgotten the teaching of the bible and is now following their own feelings.
What is done in churches now is glossolalia(the phenomenon of apparently speaking in an unknown language, especially in religious worship.) which is different from what is in the bible which was xenolilia.(The ability to speak in a language which the individual has not learned.)

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by mariovito(m): 8:10am On Aug 06, 2023
Tff
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by gohf: 8:29am On Aug 06, 2023
joxxy01:
This is a questions that has been bothering me for quite some times now and yet to get any satisfying answer... According to Apostle Paul in (1 Corinthians 14: 1- 19) tonguing should be done privately except they is someone to interpret.. But in our present day Church gatherings , members can blow in tongues for hours without any one to interpret and it as taught by Paul and it has become a norm. Please I need and enlightenment is this not abnormal?
and it sounds chaotic and confusing but they may not be speaking in tongues as to minister to people but praying and praising in tongues. Now if it is done by God's Spirit there is a high chance that several (possibly rare) languages are being uttered simultaneously.

To speak in tongues maybe to minister to the people in tongues, which should only be done when there is interpretation. Now Paul also wrote about praying in an unknown tongue. I believe the issue is when churches focus more on one accept than the other, like prayer with understanding. Anyway I hope I have been helpful, if not I apologize šŸ˜Š

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by osuofia2(m): 8:43am On Aug 06, 2023
joxxy01:
This is a questions that has been bothering me for quite some times now and yet to get any satisfying answer... According to Apostle Paul in (1 Corinthians 14: 1- 19) tonguing should be done privately except they is someone to interpret.. But in our present day Church gatherings , members can blow in tongues for hours without any one to interpret and it as taught by Paul and it has become a norm. Please I need and enlightenment is this not abnormal?
Pentecostal churches. Usual suspects

1 Like

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by extol1(m): 8:44am On Aug 06, 2023
GreatAchiever1:
It is because churches has forgotten the teaching of the bible and is now following their own feelings.
What is done in churches now is glossolalia(the phenomenon of apparently speaking in an unknown language, especially in religious worship.) which is different from what is in the bible which was xenolilia.(The ability to speak in a language which the individual has not learned.)
It seems you know more about this thing.
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by Opanka44(m): 8:47am On Aug 06, 2023
Yeye people.
They claim you can't say u are born agains if you're not filled with the holy spirit.
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by Benekkk: 9:07am On Aug 06, 2023
The Bible is clear but men donā€™t want to study.
Tongues were spoken and understood by those present on the day of Pentecost. In 1st Corinthians 13:8 itā€™s clear that they would someday cease when that which is perfect (the complete word of God, old and new testaments) would come. We are no longer in the Apostolic age and itā€™s clear that the Apostolic signs ceased, yet people still use false claims about them to deceive the lost.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by gohf: 10:07am On Aug 06, 2023
joxxy01:
just saw this and recalled your post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6VYBPe3dVw

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by GreatAchiever1: 2:09pm On Aug 06, 2023
Benekkk:
The Bible is clear but men donā€™t want to study.
Tongues were spoken and understood by those present on the day of Pentecost. In 1st Corinthians 13:8 itā€™s clear that they would someday cease when that which is perfect (the complete word of God, old and new testaments) would come. We are no longer in the Apostolic age and itā€™s clear that the Apostolic signs ceased, yet people still use false claims about them to deceive the lost.
A cessationist I presume, I agree that the apostolic sign gifts are not for our generation, however I may not fully say the sign gifts has ceased, I mean they could happen if God wills it but it isn't for us because we have the complete word of God.
In the case of the perfect mentioned in that verse, I think it applies when end is attained, and not the complete canon of scriptures.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by joxxy01(m): 2:21pm On Aug 06, 2023
gohf:
just saw this and recalled your post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6VYBPe3dVw
Thanks but I'm still not satisfied... I've never seen any interprete tongues in this gathering, and they just keep blasting.. It is well sha
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by Dtruthspeaker: 2:28pm On Aug 06, 2023
joxxy01:

Proof that they are not of God!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by FxMasterz: 10:01am On Aug 07, 2023
joxxy01:

When they speak in tongues, do they direct the tongues at you? They're each having their individual private prayers in tongues. If you cannot speak in tongues, pray in the language you understand.

Whenever tongues are used for direct ministrations to people or individuals, they are always interpreted. When people are having their individual prayers in Churches, they're free to speak in tongues as long as they're not directing the words at any human individual.

They didn't break any biblical rule. You're the one misjudging.
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by joxxy01(m): 11:57am On Aug 07, 2023
FxMasterz:

When they speak in tongues, do they direct the tongues at you? They're each having their individual private prayers in tongues. If you cannot speak in tongues, pray in the language you understand.

Whenever tongues are used for direct ministrations to people or individuals, they are always interpreted. When people are having their individual prayers in Churches, they're free to speak in tongues as long as they're not directing the words at any human individual.

They didn't break any biblical rule. You're the one misjudging.
Sorry I only ask to get clarity and I am not in anyways judging anybody...But if you check what happened in the upper room, you will discover that as the tongues were been uttered... Unbelievers around understood and gave interpretations... Mind you everyone in the room was praying( tonguing )'privately' ... And my conclusion is they was no confusion amongst the hearers(unbelievers)as the Holy spirit divinely ochastrated its interpretation.. But what is happening now is not the case, some unbelievers even laugh when they attend our gatherings..
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by FRANCISTOWN: 12:03pm On Aug 07, 2023
joxxy01:
This is a questions that has been bothering me for quite some times now and yet to get any satisfying answer... According to Apostle Paul in (1 Corinthians 14: 1- 19) tonguing should be done privately except they is someone to interpret.. But in our present day Church gatherings , members can blow in tongues for hours without any one to interpret it as taught by Paul and it has become a norm. Please I need and enlightenment is this not abnormal?

Tongue speaking is nonsense. Who could interprete incoherent words?

They are just there deceiving themselves by speaking gibberish.šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by joxxy01(m): 12:07pm On Aug 07, 2023
FRANCISTOWN:

Tongue speaking is nonsense. Who could interprete incoherent words?

They are just there deceiving themselves by speaking gibberish.šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Sorry Sir, tongues speaking is not nonsense
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by FxMasterz: 12:08pm On Aug 07, 2023
joxxy01:
Sorry I only ask to get clarity and I am not in anyways judging anybody...But if you check what happens in the upper room, you will discover that as the tongues were been uttered... Unbelievers around understood and gave interpretations... Mind you everyone in the room was praying( tonguing )'privately' ... And my conclusion is they was no confusion amongst the hearers(unbelievers)as the Holy spirit divinely ochastrated its interpretation.. But what is happening now is not the case, some unbelievers even laugh when they attend our gatherings..

When we pray in tongues, we do so to edify ourselves. We're encouraged to do so by the Bible.

Jerusalem was a diverse community in those days. The disciples were having their first experience. They were not ministering to anyone. They were praying privately as the churches do today. The diverse community of people in Jerusalem heard them and commented. If there's a diverse community today around a tongue speaking church, they would likewise comment.

Are you saying churches should not speak in tongues because there is no diverse community of people to understand what they're saying? The primary purpose is individual edification. The disciples in the upper room didn't speak in tongues to minister to the community. Did they? They spoke in tongues to edify themselves, then the community heard and gathered. That can happen today too if the church is located in a community where there are many people speaking various languages. But the absence of a diverse community cannot stop the churches from edifying themselves.
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by Emusan(m): 12:40pm On Aug 07, 2023
joxxy01:
This is a questions that has been bothering me for quite some times now and yet to get any satisfying answer...

That means you don't read your Bible.

According to Apostle Paul in (1 Corinthians 14: 1- 19) tonguing should be done privately except they there is someone to interpret..

The same scripture you cited makes it clear that speaking in tongues are of different form.

1. Speaking to God through the power of Holy Spirit personally.

2. Receiving messages from God through the power of Holy Spirit and deliver it to the church.

But in our present day Church gatherings , members can blow in tongues for hours without any one to interpret it as taught by Paul and it has become a norm.

Paul made it clear that when speaking in tongues personally you don't need interpretation since it's just between you and God. But speaking in tongues to pass message to the church is what needed interpreter.

Please I need and enlightenment is this not abnormal?

Read Bible from different versions is sufficient for you especially the very chapter you cited.
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by Emusan(m): 12:52pm On Aug 07, 2023
joxxy01:
Sorry I only ask to get clarity and I am not in anyways judging anybody...But if you check what happened in the upper room, you will discover that as the tongues were been uttered... Unbelievers around understood and gave interpretations Mind you everyone in the room was praying( tonguing )'privately' ... And my conclusion is they was no confusion amongst the hearers(unbelievers)as the Holy spirit divinely ochastrated its interpretation.. But what is happening now is not the case, some unbelievers even laugh when they attend our gatherings..

@underlined is evident that many people don't read Bible for themselves.

The writer of that incident pointed it out clearly that "And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability." Acts 2:4 - NLT

Another version put it this way CEV - "The Holy Spirit took control of everyone, and they began speaking whatever languages the Spirit let them speak."

So it was Holy Spirit that gave them the ability of speaking what people will hear at that particular time, it doesn't mean it's fixed that way.
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:51pm On Aug 07, 2023
joxxy01:
This is a questions that has been bothering me for quite some times now and yet to get any satisfying answer... According to Apostle Paul in (1 Corinthians 14: 1- 19) tonguing should be done privately except there is someone to interpret.. But in our present day Church gatherings , members can blow in tongues for hours without any one to interpret it as taught by Paul and it has become a norm. Please I need and enlightenment is this not abnormal?

Today the church of God has been separated from Satan's agents claiming Christians such can't happen in our midst.
God's Holy Spirit enabled believers in the first century to speak in tongues for three reasons:

[1] At Pentecost people from different nations visited Jerusalem and that's the day God's Holy Spirit was poured out on the BORN AGAIN Christians so in order for them to preach God's word effectively the Holy Spirit permitted each of them to speak the language of his or her listener! Act 2:4-6
[2] Secondly after the establishment of the church many people began associating both those who are sincere believers and impostors planted among them to get informations on how to implicate members of the church so God's Holy Spirit will enable a BORN AGAIN Christian to speak in a strange tongue that only another BORN AGAIN Christian can interpret. Imagine one brother standing in front of the congregation delivering a speech while an agent of the Pharisees is among the brethren God's Holy Spirit will possess a BORN AGAIN brother who will alert others that the message being delivered mustn't continue but since only BORN AGAIN Christians understood it then one can go to the platform to stop the brother from further speech.
[3] Lastly the Bible hasn't been completed it was only frown Genesis to Malachi that was known back then so if any inspired expression is to be delivered during meetings of Christians God's Holy Spirit will possess a BORN AGAIN Christian to reveal the information while only BORN AGAIN Christians can understand what has just been revealed.

But after the completion of God's word all these things have seized {1Corinthians 13:8-10} because there is NO ADDITION NO SUBTRACTION regarding what's to be revealed {Revelations 22:18-19} so today if anyone isn't contented with what has been revealed in the Bible it simply means such one can't love God because it's love for God that can make us obey the one we can't see! 1Corinthians 13:13

If you have further questions on the subject please feel free, i am Maximus one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
God bless you and may you have PEACE!
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by FRANCISTOWN: 6:23pm On Aug 07, 2023
joxxy01:
Sorry Sir, tongues speaking is not nonsense
Then can you interprete tongues?
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by madegreatbygrace(m): 5:46am On Aug 08, 2023
@Joxxy01 You need to read the entire 1 Corinthians 14 in context to have a better understanding of what Paul is teaching.

Also, you need to know the difference between speaking in tongues and prophecy . The difference is the audience.

For the man that speaks in an unknown tongue the audience is God. However, for the man that prophesy, his audience is men.

'For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. '
I Corinthians 14:2-3

So from the above, the man that is speaking in tongues is talking to God and so he doesnā€™t need to interpret since heā€™s not addressing man. In this case, heā€™s building himself up. On the other hand, prophecy is an inspired message to men and so must be delivered in a way that man must understand, that is, in a known tongue . Simply put, prophecy is speaking in tongues plus interpretation.

'He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. '

I Corinthians 14:4

So if I need to deliver a word or message to a brother in a Christian gathering, or to the entire church or gathering , Iā€™ll need to deliver in a known tongue so they may understand. This is where and why interpretation is necessary.

'So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air. '

I Corinthians 14:9

This is why in some churches, while addressing the congregation, some will speak in an unknown tongue, while same or others may interpret so the church may understand.

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:07am On Aug 08, 2023
madegreatbygrace:
@Joxxy01 You need to read the entire 1 Corinthians 14 in context to have a better understanding of what Paul is teaching.
Also, you need to know the difference between speaking in tongues and prophecy . The difference is the audience. For the man that speaks in an unknown tongue the audience is God. However, for the man that prophesy, his audience is men. 'For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. ' I Corinthians 14:2-3
So from the above, the man that is speaking in tongues is talking to God and so he doesnā€™t need to interpret since heā€™s not addressing man. In this case, heā€™s building himself up. On the other hand, prophecy is an inspired message to men and so must be delivered in a way that man must understand, that is, in a known tongue . Simply put, prophecy is speaking in tongues plus interpretation.
'He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. '
So if I need to deliver a word or message to a brother in a Christian gathering, or to the entire church or gathering , Iā€™ll need to deliver in a known tongue so they may understand. This is where and why interpretation is necessary. 'So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air. 'I Corinthians 14:9
This is why in some churches, while addressing the congregation, some will speak in an unknown tongue, while same or others may interpret so the church may understand.
I hope this helps.

Paul was telling his audience that speaking in tongues makes no sense when it can not be understood by nobody in the congregation so if the speaker is talking to God then he supposed to do that in his private room {Matthew 6:6} after all he or she is speaking to God not man but all that is in the past because the Holy Spirit no longer does that so speaking in tongues among true Christians has seized today:

Love never fails. But if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with. 1Corinthians 13:8

The only thing God's Holy Spirit does for Christians today is reminders through a diligent study of God's word {John 14:26} that's why Paul said knowledge (special) will be no more {1Corinthians 13:8} but among true believers LOVE will help them to continue as a family of faith. 1Corinthians 13:13
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by paxonel(m): 6:44am On Aug 08, 2023
joxxy01:
speaking in tongue according to what Paul addressed in that scripture was simply incantation, if you can think along .

You know, bible was recorded last in ancient times approximately 2000 years ago. During this period, humans were much more primitive and ritualistic.
So speaking in tongues was one of the rituals humans(especially prophets) were doing thinking that the simple ritual of tongue speaking was powerful enough to evoke the presence of God, just like our traditional babalawos in Africa will say incantations before performing rituals.

It was a thing of the primitive world without adequate enlightenment or education.

That's why in a bid that the congregation should be enlightened of what the speaker(The prophet) is saying, Paul recommended that the incantation during prophecy should be interpreted as well

But today church are not seeing it that way that they are talking incantation like babalawos,
They keep talking blunders in prayer
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by madegreatbygrace(m): 7:17am On Aug 08, 2023
@MaxinDhouse, Kindly tell us when this cessation of tongues started using the scriptures o. grin

Also and FYI Paul is not saying that speaking in tongues doesnā€™t make sense in a congregation. He says that prophesying in an unknown tongues makes no sense. Finally, in Matthew 6:6, Jesus was addressing those who show off by praying publicly. The motive is important here

Understand the context!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:49am On Aug 08, 2023
madegreatbygrace:
@MaxinDhouse, Kindly tell us when this cessation of tongues started using the scriptures o. grin
If the scriptures say speaking in tongues will seize {1Corinthians 13:8} it's left to each student of the Bible to figure out when that will be but since you directed the question to me i will remind you of what Jesus said about the church @ Matthew 13:25 there Jesus clearly stated that Satan will implant his agents right in the midst of Jesus' disciples, this actually happened in the first century after the Roman government destroyed Jerusalem and it's Temple the apostles and other disciples of Christ Jesus were scattered. The speaking in tongues began in that city and ended when that city was destroyed from that time onwards all believers must show love for the things written before then! 1Corinthians 13:13
Do you know that John wrote his gospel, letters and Revelations far away from Jerusalem?
Well he confirmed that the Antichrists have joined the church at that time {1John 2:18} which wasn't allowed when the Apostles were still very much alive and active! Romans 16:17
madegreatbygrace:

Also and FYI Paul is not saying that speaking in tongues doesnā€™t make sense in a congregation. He says that prophesying in an unknown tongues makes no sense. Finally, in Matthew 6:6, Jesus was addressing those who show off by praying publicly. The motive is important here
Understand the context!
If Christ said each believer must go into his private room when they want to talk to God alone {Matthew 6:6} will such be appropriate within the congregation using strange tongue?
Well Paul emphatically told them that such makes no sense, if you're speaking in tongues it should be either prophesying which involves the whole congregation or a message and both must be interpreted right there for the benefit of all in the congregation but if it's between you and God alone then we have to revert to Christ's admonition which says do so in your private room! undecided
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by madegreatbygrace(m): 10:51am On Aug 08, 2023
Oga Max, youā€™ve a ridiculous way of interpreting the Bible. grin

The Bible is a sacred book and as a result it shouldnā€™t be read carelessly.

I asked you show me from the scriptures, then you brought up the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem as if your grandparents witnessed it.

Yes, we know tongues will cease at a point in time. That will happen in another age and not this dispensation.

As students of the Bible, we donā€™t ā€œfigure outā€ things.

We persuade and convince by proper Bible exegesis.
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:14pm On Aug 08, 2023
madegreatbygrace:
Oga Max, youā€™ve a ridiculous way of interpreting the Bible. grin
The Bible is a sacred book and as a result it shouldnā€™t be read carelessly. I asked you show me from the scriptures, then you brought up the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem as if your grandparents witnessed it. Yes, we know tongues will cease at a point in time. That will happen in another age and not this dispensation. As students of the Bible, we donā€™t ā€œfigure outā€ things. We persuade and convince by proper Bible exegesis.

Well i've given the scriptural answer to your question because Paul told the Christians in Corinth that Miracles, Prophecies, Tongues and Special Knowledge apart from what we can found it's references in the scriptures will all seize! 1Corinthians 13:8

What a Christian need to figure out is when and where did all these things began?

For your information God poured out His Holy Spirit on Jews in Jerusalem the city where His name has been established as the Almighty God. So after that city was destroyed along with it's temple there occur no more miracles, Prophecies, Tongues or Special Knowledge except within surviving apostles chosen by Christ Jesus himself that's why Jesus specifically told John that he has a special assignment for him and it was spread among first century Christians that John the apostle will not die until Jesus return but that's not what Jesus meant he only has a special assignment for John which he later delivered when all his fellow apostles have all died {John 21:22-23} John later wrote his gospel account, three letters and Revelations after the destruction of Jerusalem around 96-98 c.e.

But if you're doubting can you please remind me any miracles performed after the destruction of Jerusalem? undecided
Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by Truvelisback(m): 8:01pm On Aug 08, 2023
joxxy01:
You are the one getting it wrong. We have two kinds of tongues(languages) The teaching is a bit lengthy but I will try to brief it. I have created a thread on this topic. 1.Praying in unknown tongues(it doesn't need interpretation because it is a prayer). Only God understands your prayer. In other words, you are praying in the Spirit but when you pray in your own dialect, tongue or language, you are praying in your understanding. 2. Speaking in an unknown tongue is when someone brings God's message to people or in a church gathering in a language he or she doesn't understand. Such tongues needs to be interpreted for it to edify the heaters.Once it is interpreted, it has become a prophecy or a word of knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by NNTR: 8:36pm On Aug 08, 2023
joxxy01:
If correct answers to the following four below questions are proffered, then the shambolic 'mystery' will start get unravelled

1. How many number of times was speaking in tongue (i.e. different dialect and/or language) recorded in the bible?
2. On each of those occasions of speaking in tongue (i.e. different dialect and/or language) recorded in the bible, what was the objective? (i.e. what did it achieve?)

1 Corinthians 14:5
Now I wish that all of you spoke in unknown tongues,
but even more [I wish] that you would prophesy.
The one who prophesies is greater [and more useful] than the one who speaks in tongues,
unless he translates or explains [what he says], so that the church may be edified [instructed, improved, strengthened].

3. Is the advice, recommendation of 1 Corinthians 14:5 seen above, been taken noticed of?

Revelation 16:13-14
'13And I saw three loathsome spirits like frogs,
leaping from the mouth of the dragon (Satan)
and from the mouth of the beast (Antichrist, dictator)
and from the mouth of the false prophet;
14for they are [actually] the spirits of demons, performing [miraculous] signs.
And they go out to the kings of the entire inhabited earth,
to gather them together for the war of the great day of God, the Almighty.'

4. At the end time, rife deception of the demonic and foul spirits, mentioned in Rev 16:13-14, symbolised as three unclean spirits that looked like frogs, will be most common.
May I ask, what do frogs catch prey with?
Of course, with using tongues, to snare unsuspecting believers with their false speaking in tongues deception and bad indoctrination

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

Re: Why Do Churches Still Speak In Tongues Despite Apostle Paul's Teaching by joxxy01(m): 9:50pm On Aug 15, 2023
My brother please how can you explain verse 23 of that 1cor 14.?
madegreatbygrace:

Also, you need to know the difference between speaking in tongues and prophecy . The difference is the audience.

For the man that speaks in an unknown tongue the audience is God. However, for the man that prophesy, his audience is men.

'For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. '
I Corinthians 14:2-3

So if I need to deliver a word or message to a brother in a Christian gathering, or to the entire church or gathering , Iā€™ll need to deliver in a known tongue so they may understand. This is where and why interpretation is necessary.

'So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air. '

I Corinthians 14:9

I hope this helps.

(1) (Reply)

Merry Christmas! / There Are More Youths Like Me, Abdulmutallab Warns Fbi / Farouk Mutallab Not A Disgrace To Nigeria But To Eslam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.