Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,475 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

How Do Developers Handle Authentication? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do Developers Handle Authentication? (389 Views)

How Do You Handle Authentication In Your Projects? What's The Industry Standard? / Why Do Developers Like Using Tiny Fonts / Why Do Developers Think Jquery Is Obsolete? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Developers Handle Authentication? by SqueezedPant: 1:38pm On Aug 08, 2023
I am currently making a file storage system for organizations as a side project , using next auth for the authentication(I don’t know how to roll my auth). Now the issue i am having is whenever i refresh the page , the session disappears for some seconds.

Now this is where the problem is , as the session disappears , some routes are protected in the middleware.ts file. So immediately , the routes get locked. So how can i save session so that maybe if there is a 1 minute network blackout , i won’t get locked out immediately.

I have ruled the idea of saving in local because if the network gets switched off completely , it would still be saved in there. And you cannot revalidate local storage based on “network timeout” . I would appreciate your help on this

@qtguru please i would need your expert opinion here
Re: How Do Developers Handle Authentication? by eazycash: 4:03pm On Aug 08, 2023
you didn't mention the technology your using to implement the authentication.how do you someone will be in the know how to be of help to you.
Re: How Do Developers Handle Authentication? by SqueezedPant: 9:45pm On Aug 08, 2023
eazycash:
you didn't mention the technology your using to implement the authentication.how do you someone will be in the know how to be of help to you.

NextAuth , Next Js 13 app directory
Re: How Do Developers Handle Authentication? by potnovus(m): 10:00am On Aug 10, 2023
I'll try to give you general guidance here since this is an authentication problem, irrespective of technology used; also because I'm not necessarily a nextjs engineer. However, I'm aware that NextAuth uses JSON Web Tokens (JWTs) for managing user-sessions, with the option to persist session info in a database.

Without knowing the specifics of your implementation and authentication needs, I can only advise that you pay attention to the expiration-time (Time To Live) set for the generated JWTs after you authenticate a user for the first time. When you increase the TTL of your tokens, you allow the user session to live a bit longer.

That been said, if as part of your authentication flow, you maintain both a "refresh" and "access" token, then, you may have to decide which of the tokens' TTL you want to increase to satisfy the authentication need of your solution.

I hope this helps.
Re: How Do Developers Handle Authentication? by Deicide: 1:03am On Aug 13, 2023
NextAuth handles that automatically, check if maybe you not doing something correctly.

(1) (Reply)

I Cn Open Lynda Premium Account 4 U 2 Learn New Skills Online & Get Certificate / Tutorials For New Developers? Blog Or Vlog? Which Will Get More Audience? / How To Create Custom Middleware In Redux

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.