Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? (5411 Views)

After 11 Months In Blogging, I Hit 70,000 Page Views. / Reddit Has 7.55 Billion Page Views Every Month / Yahoo Buys Tumblr For $1.1 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by Nymphnode(m): 3:36am On Oct 20, 2011
dabrake:

advertising coffin bonanza wil do d magic. Buy 2 coffins and get 1 free.
:-D:-D @OP: No worry jare bros, you will get there someday. Atleast I was lured to iroy.in
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by Jenifa1: 3:43am On Oct 20, 2011
that's almost impossible

but if you do a prize giveaway (computer, cars etc and make sure to advertise widely before hand) you will get lots of hits enough to crash the website in less than an hr.
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by 27naira(m): 7:23am On Oct 20, 2011
Mobinga:

Simple.

Celeb indecency.

Spot on! Clinton-Lewinsky remix will do the trick.
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by DExplorer1: 8:41am On Oct 20, 2011
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by leMuhito(f): 9:10am On Oct 20, 2011
Firstly, may God bless Seun Osewa of Nairaland for providing this wonderful platform for people to exchange ideas and get well informed.

Secondly, I appreciate everyone that has contributed to this discussion because I’ve gained from all the comments.

Back to the issue on ground.

What I’m doing here is to showcase what I have in mind at the end.

That’s it! Having the end in mind in all I wanna do has always been helpful.

I intend calling this crazy project a “Server Crashing Day” like I stated before. I know fully well that it would be difficult to achieve my dream in 24hours. Even the news of Steve Jobs death didn’t generate up to that in 24hours or so.

What I have gained here with some wonderful calculations from you guys of what I’d need to put in place has been useful. Like Ahmad Mukoshy said in a recent interview, Impossible to him means I’MPossible and this has been my watchword too.

It’s always good to start small then plan big. So now, I could start from say 500K page views [/b]then plan towards the main goal when the needed structure is on ground.

Here is a funny calculation

I know of a CPM ad that pays [b]$40 per impression
. If I could achieve my new target of 500k page views, it would means 1k imp = $40 then 500k imp = $20k in a day and yes all the sites involved would smile  smiley

How do you see this new idea? Stupid/Crazy or Getting better

NB: [/b]More could be achieved with this not just the money to be made. Things like [b]Email and RSS subscribers, invite to social connections etc all depending on how well the site converts.
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by sandysprax(m): 12:03pm On Oct 20, 2011
stagger:

Google uses close more than 100,000 severs.

So whoever wants to get 1 billion visitors should think of how they will probably collapse a whole web host's network in one day before embarking on such a crazy idea.

Imagine if every Nigerian were to connect an electric iron to our national generation at the moment; wetin go happen?

shocked shocked shocked shocked How many do u think YOUTUBE uses?
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by talk2cash(m): 1:42pm On Oct 20, 2011
Getting 1billion page view is not possible not even Google. if you talk of 1 million page view in 24hrs is very possible. take a look at what www.billgatesguide..com said about getting page view and this is a real lesson if your seeking automatic page view in 24hrs.
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by kulguy2011: 3:42pm On Oct 20, 2011
how much is it,
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by gbengaijot(m): 9:23pm On Oct 20, 2011
Its ABSOLUTELY obvious that the individual who created this topic and "hoped" to get 1 Billion pages view in 24hours does not have "much" knowldege about what they are talking about.

1. You can NEVER achieve this as a single individual
2. You can NEVER achieve this using a capped bandwidth (the type you are currently using for your iroy.in website
3. Your traffic is COMPLETELY useless if its not converting
4. THe screenshot of the analytics you provided shows a 70% bounce rate. That means 70% of individuals visiting your website are visiting and immediately leaving the site. which means the content of your site has no relevance to them.
5. Which means the traffic you drove to your website is "highly" untargetted.

Google, the company that gets millions of views on their websites are running on multiple servers, recruit hundreds/thousands of individuals have a management structure in place and knows a lot about traffic, user interface, aesthetics, funneling of traffic, user experience and SEO. As in, they are so good at SEO that they hire team of SEO engineers that come to work solely for optimizing pages.

THere is ABSOLUTELY no way you can do this on your own, so don't even think of it.

As for your definition of server crashes. Anyone can get crash on their server. IF i have 1gig bandwidth and i get thousands of people to visit and download heavy graphics, my server will crash. if i have 10 gigabyte with same amount of visitors, my server wont crash. A server crash only happens when you have more visitors than your bandwidth and anyone can get that, even the guy who has access to 500MB bandwidth.

What you should be thinking of is this:

a. What your website is providing (it has to be relevant to your targetted traffic. There is no point bringing a bbc.co.uk reader traffic to a website like nairaland. A british man would most likely never register to Join nairaland. However, a Nigerian base din Nigeria or abroad will. Targetting is the key

b. COnversion. What are you converting your visitors to do?

and other stuffs that i can't even start to write about.

Anyone can get 1 million visitors to their site. the point is, will the traffic come back?

And it doesnt matter what you think about me being negative. If you are running with SPEED in the wrong lane, you are making a big mistake than someone who is walking slowly on the right lane.

1 Like

Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by naijacyberjobs: 10:11am On Oct 21, 2011
Practically impossible! Except in the dream but it's a nice dream anyways. Why don't you start from 1m in 24 hours, at least, that's kinda achievable practically.
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by naijacyberjobs: 10:20am On Oct 21, 2011
leMuhito:

Firstly, may God bless Seun Osewa of Nairaland for providing this wonderful platform for people to exchange ideas and get well informed.

Secondly, I appreciate everyone that has contributed to this discussion because I’ve gained from all the comments.

Back to the issue on ground.

What I’m doing here is to showcase what I have in mind at the end.

That’s it! Having the end in mind in all I wanna do has always been helpful.

I intend calling this crazy project a “Server Crashing Day” like I stated before. I know fully well that it would be difficult to achieve my dream in 24hours. Even the news of Steve Jobs death didn’t generate up to that in 24hours or so.

What I have gained here with some wonderful calculations from you guys of what I’d need to put in place has been useful. Like Ahmad Mukoshy said in a recent interview, Impossible to him means I’MPossible and this has been my watchword too.

It’s always good to start small then plan big. So now, I could start from say 500K page views [/b]then plan towards the main goal when the needed structure is on ground.

Here is a funny calculation

I know of a CPM ad that pays [b]$40 per impression
. If I could achieve my new target of 500k page views, it would means 1k imp = $40 then 500k imp = $20k in a day and yes all the sites involved would smile  smiley

How do you see this new idea? silly/Crazy or Getting better

NB: [/b]More could be achieved with this not just the money to be made. Things like [b]Email and RSS subscribers, invite to social connections etc all depending on how well the site converts.

Do you mind sharing the CPM Ad Network with me at oyedepo1(at)gmail.com? I would love to know, thanks
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by felifeli: 12:48pm On Oct 21, 2011
Actually I think that is unreasonably ambitious. First any third party hosting will close you down . Reason : 1 billion hits in 24 hours evenly spread (not likely) comes to about 42million hits per hour and 12000 hits per second. This would under possible circumstances count as a Denial of Service attack .Forget it. grin grin

Set your sight lower:
1. Employ Beaf to blog for you about Aregbesola
2. Circulate it to all ACN sympathisers on NL

Sit back and watch your Adsense income grow.Good luck.
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by ufumes(m): 3:13pm On Oct 21, 2011
Very simple. All you need to do is to write a software or robot that will request for d pages. U need a very fast connection for your robot to make up to 1billion request within a day
Re: How Can A Website Get Over 1 Billion Page Views In 24 Hours? by ufumes(m): 3:26pm On Oct 21, 2011
For those of you that said that the server will crash even before making up to 1million request, are you really sure about ur stand? What if the page in question is just 1 byte. 1byte x 1billion is approximately 1gig. There are monthly hosting plans that are larger than 1gig. So it wont necessarily crash

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Does One Create A Site Like Olx? / E-commerce Suffers Setback In Nigeria / Good News: Fiverr Added Bank Transfer / Direct Deposit Feature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.