Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,136 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? (1018 Views)

Pictures Only People Who Attended Primary School In Nigeria Will Understand / The School Attended By Success, The Warri Girl Sent Home Over Fees / Auchi Poly Students Protest The Killing Of Fresh Graduate By Vigilante Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Vinnie2000(m): 6:36am On Aug 12, 2023
A Neighbour of Mine went to Check his Daughter's WAEC Result yesterday.๐Ÿ™‚

He saw some Teenagers filling School of Choice for Post UME.
Uniben, NDU, Delsu, Auchi Polytechnic, Etc.

Someone was filling in a Polytechnic in Delta State (NAME WITHHELD) and he said TUFIAKWA,
He can Never allow his Daughter attend that School.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ™‚

That The School is Filled with Yahoo Boys and Academically Weak Lecturers who are Easily bought over! ๐Ÿคจ

That Anytime He sees any of their Graduates, he Automatically Dismisses the Person.๐Ÿ˜ฎ

That If he has a Company, he CANNOT Employ any of their Graduates!. shocked ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

But Question is: IS IT RIGHT TO JUDGE GRADUATES BY THEIR HIGHER INSTITUTION ATTENDED?

Nplfmod.
Thanks. smiley

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by chatinent: 6:59am On Aug 12, 2023
It's after the school they'll understand that the epileptic system in Nigeria doesn't really give a flying f about the school you attended.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by thesicilian: 7:17am On Aug 12, 2023
Vinnie2000:

A Neighbour of Mine went to Check his Daughter's WAEC Result yesterday.๐Ÿ™‚

He saw some Teenagers filling School of Choice for Post UME.
Uniben, NDU, Delsu, Auchi Polytechnic, Etc.

Someone was filling in a Polytechnic in Delta State (NAME WITHHELD) and he said TUFIAKWA,
He can Never allow his Daughter attend that School.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ™‚

That The School is Filled with Yahoo Boys and Academically Weak Lecturers who are Easily bought over! ๐Ÿคจ

That Anytime He sees any of their Graduates, he Automatically Dismisses the Person.๐Ÿ˜ฎ

That If he has a Company, he CANNOT Employ any of their Graduates!. shocked ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

But Question is: IS IT RIGHT TO JUDGE GRADUATES BY THEIR HIGHER INSTITUTION ATTENDED?

Nplfmod.
Thanks. smiley
It is not right but also not completely wrong. It's something we all do, sometimes subconsciously.
Just like you confidently mentioned Uniben, NDU, Auchi poly etc, but withheld the name of the school in question. If it was a school like UI or Unilag would you have withheld the name?
And like the man said, if you had a company and two applicants present themselves for interview, let's say one was from Harvard and the other from Uniben, without further info which one would you naturally lean towards even before meeting the applicants? Or you were to have a major operation and you had the option of choosing between a Johns Hopkins hospital trained doctor, or a Delta state University teaching hospital trained doctor, which would you naturally want to go for?

We all pretend that these things don't matter, but the fact is that your background on paper may even be the only thing that will decide whether you even get further opportunity for your so called practical skills to be seen or not.

And what makes you think that those who went to the better institutions do not also have practical skills and experience in addition to their paper qualifications?

12 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Vinnie2000(m): 7:36am On Aug 12, 2023
thesicilian:

It is not right but also not completely wrong. It's something we all do, sometimes subconsciously.
Just like you confidently mentioned Uniben, NDU, Auchi poly etc, but withheld the name of the school in question. If it was a school like UI or Unilag would you have withheld the name?
And like the man said, if you had a company and two applicants present themselves for interview, let's say one was from Harvard and the other from Uniben, without further info which one would you naturally lean towards even before meeting the applicants? Or you were to have a major operation and you had the option of choosing between a Johns Hopkins hospital trained doctor, or a Delta state University teaching hospital trained doctor, which would you naturally want to go for?

We all pretend that these things don't matter, but the fact is that your background on paper may even be the only thing that will decide whether you even get further opportunity for your so called practical skills to be seen or not.

And what makes you think that those who went to the better institutions do not also have practical skills and experience in addition to their paper qualifications?

Lolsss. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

But Sometimes, ABILITY is not by BIG NAME o! smiley

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Vinnie2000(m): 7:38am On Aug 12, 2023
4KNGOATS:

Shut your stinky trap you bum and let'hear words you thin becouse you attended good school that makes you better than other people? Go sleep bros

See how you have Contradicted yourself..๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜

6 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by thesicilian: 7:44am On Aug 12, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Lolsss. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Lol. Sometimes. But most of the time it is.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by thesicilian: 7:47am On Aug 12, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Don't mind him. Poorly educated people like him always have a way of revealing themselves either in their chosen usernames, language or unwarranted insults. And in his case, it is all combined.

10 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Nobody: 7:48am On Aug 12, 2023
Why is this even an argument?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by illicit(m): 8:07am On Aug 12, 2023
Yes of course

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by JASONjnr(m): 8:18am On Aug 12, 2023
4KNGOATS:

Shut your stinky trap you bum and let'hear words you thin becouse you attended good school that makes you better than other people? Go sleep bros

Just for the record..,.

Nobody will employ you if the post you're seeking is contended with someone from Harvard with a third class while you graduated with first class.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by christejames(m): 9:55am On Aug 12, 2023
That should be Ogwashi-Ukwu Polytechnic undecided

Well, it all boils down to the individual!

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by ednut1(m): 11:29am On Aug 12, 2023
There are companies who only employ people from the top 5 private Uni and the top 10 federal ones. I witnessed an executive of a big multinational company justifying it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Vinnie2000(m): 12:56pm On Aug 12, 2023
christejames:
That should be Ogwashi-Ukwu Polytechnic undecided

Well, it all boils down to the individual!

For Where?๐Ÿ˜

It's not Ogwuashi-ukwu Poly.

Ogwash Poly is Adjudged as the Best Poly in Delta State and one of the Best State Poly in Nigeria.๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ™‚

It is one, Out of the OTHER TWO. wink smiley

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by 22o62021: 1:16pm On Aug 12, 2023
Vinnie2000:

For Where?๐Ÿ˜

It's not Ogwuashi-ukwu Poly.

Ogwash Poly is Adjudged as the Best Poly in Delta State and one of the Best State Poly in Nigeria.๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ™‚

It is one, Out of the OTHER TWO. wink smiley

Delta state poly oghara

But Sha Many graduates are regretting why the wasted many years in the university.

I myself I regret it

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Vinnie2000(m): 1:19pm On Aug 12, 2023
22o62021:

Delta state poly oghara

But Sha Many graduates are regretting why the wasted many years in the university.

I myself I regret it

University or Higher Institution education is NEVER a waste, bro.๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ˜’

Even though most Graduates have NOT Gotten anything Tangible with the Acquired Knowledge,

The Exposure and Networking With Friends/Coursemates and Lecturers will help you later in life. smiley
Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by 4KNGOATS(m): 1:38pm On Aug 12, 2023
JASONjnr:

Just for the record..,.

Nobody will employ you if the post you're seeking is contended with someone from Harvard with a third class while you graduated with first class.
That's if every employers were to be like you. unfortunately for you THEY ARE NOT LIKE YOU.LOOSER
Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by 4KNGOATS(m): 1:41pm On Aug 12, 2023
Vinnie2000:

I know your type always looking at others people's little mistakes when you have loads of them
Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Esthered: 3:48pm On Aug 12, 2023
ednut1:
There are companies who only employ people from the top 5 private Uni and the top 10 federal ones. I witnessed an executive of a big multinational company justifying it.
I used to feel that those organizations were discriminating but they may be right even if I wasn't privileged to attend any of those universities.
I issued a query to a team member recently and she couldn't write her response in proper tenses in a mail.
I told her to rewrite again like a graduate but still the same result.
Eventually she submitted her appraisal form and I saw the institution she finished from and I wasn't surprised.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Gerrard59(m): 4:18pm On Aug 12, 2023
chatinent:
It's after the school they'll understand that the epileptic system in Nigeria doesn't really give a flying f about the school you attended.

That is not true. Some schools are favoured over others. Access Bank, I don't know about now, WOULD never allow graduates from most state universities to write her aptitude test. I think only Gombe State University and LASU graduates were allowed then. It is why for some courses, especially Law, if it is not from a federal university or state university like LASU/RSU or private uni like ABUAD, the person better re-write JAMB again.

All universities are not equal. Some are more equal than others.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Gerrard59(m): 4:23pm On Aug 12, 2023
I don't know of other companies sha, but I seriously doubt McKinsey Nigeria would employ a business analyst from a state university. If such happens, then such a candidate must be extremely STELLAR. CGPA 5.0, 10 awards from God knows where, 5 solid extra-mural activities with global prominence etc. shocked grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by DataAlchemist: 6:53pm On Aug 12, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Lolsss. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

he is right to some points, not only in nigeria, but everywhere, when you have candidates of equal abilities, things like this might be the deciding factor.
It's only wrong if considering big name comes first before ability.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by chatinent: 8:04pm On Aug 12, 2023
Gerrard59:

That is not true. Some schools are favoured over others. Access Bank, I don't know about now, WOULD never allow graduates from most state universities to write her aptitude test. I think only Gombe State University and LASU graduates were allowed then. It is why for some courses, especially Law, if it is not from a federal university or state university like LASU/RSU or private uni like ABUAD, the person better re-write JAMB again.

All universities are not equal. Some are more equal than others.

One would wonder the millions Access Bank pay!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Femmyfamous4u(m): 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2023
Yes, to a large extent based on experience. You see graduates of BSU, KWASU, EBSU, KSU, Tafawa Balewa, TSU etc, standard secondary school is far better.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Vinnie2000(m): 11:07pm On Aug 12, 2023
Femmyfamous4u:
Yes, to a large extent based on experience. You see graduates of BSU, KWASU, EBSU, KSU, Tafawa Balewa, TSU etc, standard secondary school is far better.

Lolss..๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ™‚
Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by ruggedtimi(m): 1:04am On Aug 13, 2023
I still dey wait for the Nigeria president wey attend havard or U I

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by ednut1(m): 2:37am On Aug 13, 2023
Esthered:

I used to feel that those organizations were discriminating but they may be right even if I wasn't privileged to attend any of those universities.
I issued a query to a team member recently and she couldn't write her response in proper tenses in a mail.
I told her to rewrite again like a graduate but still the same result.
Eventually she submitted her appraisal form and I saw the institution she finished from and I wasn't surprised.
how did she get into your company in the first place. HR not doing their job

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by TrustNone: 4:17am On Aug 13, 2023
22o62021:

Delta state poly oghara

I myself I regret it
imagine me engaging in painting yesterday to make ends meet and one small boy was insulting me.
I felt very bad and regretted ever going to the university

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Vinnie2000(m): 5:44am On Aug 13, 2023
ruggedtimi:
I still dey wait for the Nigeria president wey attend havard or U I

Bro, @least we have got a Chicago 'University' Alumni Presido nah. lipsrsealed cheesy
Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by 22o62021: 6:02am On Aug 13, 2023
TrustNone:
imagine me engaging in painting yesterday to make ends meet and one small boy was insulting me.
I felt very bad and regretted ever going to the university

Your hussle will pay one day

Keep pushing bro

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Esthered: 6:07am On Aug 13, 2023
ednut1:
how did she get into your company in the first place. HR not doing their job
An outsourced staff.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Judge A Graduate By The Higher Institution He Or She Attended? by Gerrard59(m): 6:15am On Aug 13, 2023
chatinent:

One would wonder the millions Access Bank pay!

The only entry level job that pays millions exists in the oil and gas industry. Access Bank pays entry staff very well by Nigerian standards. Before Covid, it was 250K per month. It should be over 300K now.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Paid And Upaid Internships Available Here / Masters Degree Programs Online / Scholarship Initiative _ Mba/msc In Nigerian Universities 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.