Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? (901 Views)

How To Tell Difference Between Hausa And Fulani People / Pre-Wedding Photos Of Aminu Sanusi And Fulani Zainab Ali Bashir / Difference Between Hausa And Fulani Turban (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by Darren95: 11:44am On Aug 12, 2023
Pls for educational purpose!

I will like to know if Hausa and Fulani language are similar in anyway??

1 Like

Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by Nobody: 11:45am On Aug 12, 2023
No Fulani is a different language. Hausa is like a lingua franca in the whole of north. Fulani language is quite funny
Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by illicit(m): 11:50am On Aug 12, 2023
No

Hausa speaks Hausa An Afro Asiatic Language

Fulani speaks Fulfude originating from futa jalon, Sengambia

They are not the same however due to long interactions, you might find a couple of loan words evident in both Languages

I am a Linguist

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by flokii: 11:56am On Aug 12, 2023
Nope.. Fulanis speak fulfide and majority of them understand Hausa.
Hausa people speak Hausa but hardly understand fulfide.. Hausas tend to pick up Yoruba language more and fast same way Yorubas tend to pick up Hausa language easily.

Those Fulanis are talented in learning languages o.. I saw one in Abeokuta selling wara speaking Yoruba fluently (like a native speaker) till she switched to fulfide when her other counterpart came, I shock.
They integrate so well just like the Igbos and they both have land grabbing tendencies.

The two hardest languages to learn are fulfide and Igbo.

Like you said it's for educational purposes.. Now, you've learnt something.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by DevilishMan: 12:14pm On Aug 12, 2023
Hausa is used for work, Fulani is used for killing.

1 Like

Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by RedboneSmith(m): 10:50pm On Aug 12, 2023
This might sound bizarre, but Fulani language is actually closer to Yoruba, Edo, Ibibio and Igbo languages than it is to Hausa. This is because it belongs to the same Niger-Congo language family as these languages.

Hausa on the other hand is closer to languages like Somali, Arabic and Hebrew, since they all belong to the same Afro-Asiatic language family.

3 Likes

Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by Probz(m): 5:29pm On Aug 13, 2023
RedboneSmith:
This might sound bizarre, but Fulani language is actually closer to Yoruba, Edo, Ibibio and Igbo languages than it is to Hausa. This is because it belongs to the same Niger-Congo language family as these languages.

Hausa on the other hand is closer to languages like Somali, Arabic and Hebrew, since they all belong to the same Afro-Asiatic language family.

Fulani being anything like Igbo does sound bizarre.
Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by Darren95: 12:16am On Aug 15, 2023
The Niger Delta Union!

Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by ANON333: 9:03am On Aug 18, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Including fulbe in niger-congo language cluster rendered that classification a joke, except if it's proven that fulanis achieved their dialect from indigenous central africans.
Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by RedboneSmith(m): 10:49am On Aug 18, 2023
ANON333:

Including fulbe in niger-congo language cluster rendered that classification a joke, except if it's proven that fulanis achieved their dialect from indigenous central africans.

Piece of advice: Don't jump into discussions about African linguistics if you do not know anything about African linguistics. That would be like me trying to correct people about quantum physics that I clearly do not know anything about.

Fulfude belongs to the West Atlantic branch of the Niger-Congo family. This is an established linguistic fact that no one argues anymore. The language is closely related to the Wolof and Serer languages of Senegal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by ANON333: 11:26am On Aug 18, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Piece of advice: Don't jump into discussions about African linguistics if you do not know anything about African linguistics. That would be like me trying to correct people about quantum physics that I clearly do not know anything about.

Fulfude belongs to the West Atlantic branch of the Niger-Congo family. This is an established linguistic fact that no one argues anymore. The language is closely related to the Wolof and Serer languages of Senegal.
Piece of advice: Experts once declared that the earth was flat. Man must question conventions. It is unimaginable to group igbo language with Fulfude; they might as well include tuareg, french, and japanese into the so called kwa.
Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by RedboneSmith(m): 1:52pm On Aug 18, 2023
ANON333:

Piece of advice: Experts once declared that the earth was round. Man must question conventions. It is unimaginable to group igbo language with Fulfude; they might as well include tuareg, french, and japanese into the so called kwa.

Quick question: are you a flat earther?

1 Like

Re: Hausa And Fulani Language Is It Similar To Each Other?? by 1Sharon(f): 10:20am On Nov 03, 2023
flokii:
Nope.. Fulanis speak fulfide and majority of them understand Hausa.
Hausa people speak Hausa but hardly understand fulfide.. Hausas tend to pick up Yoruba language more and fast same way Yorubas tend to pick up Hausa language easily.

Those Fulanis are talented in learning languages o.. I saw one in Abeokuta selling wara speaking Yoruba fluently (like a native speaker) till she switched to fulfide when her other counterpart came, I shock.
They integrate so well just like the Igbos and they both have land grabbing tendencies.

The two hardest languages to learn are fulfide and Igbo.

Like you said it's for educational purposes.. Now, you've learnt something.

Why won't they be talented in learning languages. Fulanis don't have a country to call their own and are wanderers in Africa.

It makes sense that they learn the language of every culture they inhabit with. They learn your language but will never teach you theirs.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

International Students Are Dying To Learn African-american/hip-hop/urban Studies / Which Tribe In Nigeria Loves Partying The Most? / Happy New Year Wishes Messages 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.