Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,742 members, 7,865,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 08:21 AM

Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? (1854 Views)

Throwback Photos From The Burial Of Aguiyi Ironsi In 1966 / Victoria Aguiyi-ironsi Celebrates Her 96th Birthday. Dances To Tekno's Song / John Nnanyerem Aguiyi Is Dead: General Aguiyi Ironsi's Son Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by rinzaugustine: 11:54pm On Aug 15, 2023
Napata77:

Liar. WHICH JAIL?

Ironsi held Nzeogwu in luxury quarters in Kirikiri for a few weeks (many say it was actually to protect Nzeogwu from the rage of his colleagues) and then sent him to Aba prison where Ojukwu released him immediately!

JIBITI people!

WAYO people!

The northerners saw this charade and said ''HELL NO!''

To make it worse, Igbos living in the north were drawing cartoons of the Sardauna of Sokoto their kinsmen had killed, and mocking, laughing at the northerners there.

While the coupists were walking free!

In those days Igbos were so arrogant and proud, and felt everyone was beneath them.

The tragic northern pogroms and civil war were actually Nigeria's revolt against Igbo toxicity and narcissism.

illiterate agbado go and read my friend..amala don block your brain hahaha maybe it’s in Osun state they release people from federal prison without authority. Yea the hate for igbos will keep you and family in generational poverty while igbos progress against your wish because you can do nothing about it my friend hahaha
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by rinzaugustine: 11:57pm On Aug 15, 2023
genkins:
nice write up.but when u mentioned Blaise compaore it seems u don't know what u are saying .I bet u wanted to say thomas Sankara...
thanks for the correction. Done
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by asanausana91: 12:06am On Aug 16, 2023
DMerciful:
How many months did Ironsi spent? Can you change a country's structure in less than two months?
did he rule for 2 months? By the way as a military president you can create some çhange within few days.
Go and check about Murtala Muhammad
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by rinzaugustine: 12:13am On Aug 16, 2023
kettykin:

Ironsi as I was made to believe did everything he did based on the advice of Britain, quashing the coup , using the unitary system to hold the country together only for the same Britain to use the north to remove him. This is talk for another day.
Ironsi was a true patriotic and professional soldier who was not street smart.

Good to know this. He was very patriotic but was sadly deceived by the British. How I wish he had sense like madiebo , nwawo, ojukwu and others for example during the riots of 1966 madiebo was dropped at a hotel in Kano to spend the night by an Hausa taxi driver but he escaped from the window to another location and later heard the hotel was burnt the hotel was burnt down when they came to kill him same night ..wish Aguiyi-Ironsi had that common sense to know these people don’t like you...smh
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by DMerciful(m): 1:26am On Aug 16, 2023
The decree was promulgated in May, he was killed in July. Who enforced his decree if it was unpopular?
asanausana91:
did he rule for 2 months? By the way as a military president you can create some çhange within few days.
Go and check about Murtala Muhammad
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by Fejoku: 8:28am On Aug 16, 2023
onumadu:

Those people are powered by nothing else than pure hate.
They have been CONSTANTLY inciting every human being on earth against Igbo.
Here you see the type of hate that led to the genocide of Jews. Hate for hate's sake.
But what they are really achieving with their hatred is HARDENING of Igbo.
Today's Igbo are by far more hardened, more cynical, and will outlast any of them whenever the next shit hit the fan in Nigeria.
Exactly. I've been diplomatic with them for many years despite knowing the hate they have for us. I thought it was just petty jealousy but recent events have proven to me beyond any doubts that the hate is very deep and inexplicable. They are at present inciting and instigating ethnic profiling of Igbos across the world. After taking notes of these things, my approach towards them have changed. Before I can't imagine myself wielding a weapon against them but now not anymore. Even my physical contacts have seen it in me. I relate with those who relate well with me but those ones that use to make some jokes I don't tolerate now. I will not hesitate to unleash physical violence on any of such people. This is something I have never contemplated before.
The level of hate I saw here and of recent from them has cleared any doubts I had before.
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by anungangampu: 9:54am On Aug 16, 2023
Fejoku:

Exactly. I've been diplomatic with them for many years despite knowing the hate they have for us. I thought it was just petty jealousy but recent events have proven to me beyond any doubts that the hate is very deep and inexplicable. They are at present inciting and instigating ethnic profiling of Igbos across the world. After taking notes of these things, my approach towards them have changed. Before I can't imagine myself wielding a weapon against them but now not anymore. Even my physical contacts have seen it in me. I relate with those who relate well with me but those ones that use to make some jokes I don't tolerate now. I will not hesitate to unleash physical violence on any of such people. This is something I have never contemplated before.
The level of hate I saw here and of recent from them has cleared any doubts I had before.

They are cowards. That's how cowards operate. This has been going on for 60+ years with their media. Every election, there is this Ahmmadu bello video they do share around and most of their pastors are involved in repaeating the coup stance to keep the memory alive.
They are very weak people. That's the only way they fight back.

1 Like

Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by asanausana91: 12:06pm On Aug 16, 2023
DMerciful:
The decree was promulgated in May, he was killed in July. Who enforced his decree if it was unpopular?
which decree? What was he doing since January when he took over.
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by KGBKremlin: 12:27pm On Aug 16, 2023
Napata77:
Is Brigadier-General Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy?

This man was handed power in 1966 after his kinsmen executed a bloody coup, killing the Prime Minister, Tafawa Balewa, and the top leaders from every region except theirs.

He refused to arrest the coup plotters for around 7 months despite nationwide appeals, and in the period, he DESTROYED Nigeria's CONFEDERATION of semi-autonomous regions, creating a FEDERAL system instead, with all powers vested in the centre, in Lagos (now Abuja), including power to harness natural resources. Everything now had to be approved by the 'federal government' - Ironsi's creation.

1) His refusal to arrest and try the coup plotters led to the massacre of Igbos in the north by outraged northerners, and the civil war that ensued.

2) His destruction of the confederation and creation of a federation led to the problems we have today, from corruption to inefficiency to nepotism to terrorism, banditry, kidnapping, and economic difficulties.

Leading one to ask the question:

Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's greatest enemy?

Igbo point of correction
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by DMerciful(m): 12:59pm On Aug 16, 2023
You're asking irrelevant question
asanausana91:
which decree? What was he doing since January when he took over.
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by Napata77: 1:35pm On Aug 16, 2023
BeninRefugees:

Wtf! angry
Are you people this unlettered or what !?

Do you know who aguyi ironsi was ?

He's actually the first full general of the Nigerian army he's the highest ranking officer then it was something that was inevitable for him then

Power had to be given to him

Tho he haven't been in the country he was busy fighting along with British soldiers in the Congo war

He never had idea of how much problem the country is. Till tomorrow Igbos celebrate nzeogwu and others than. Aguyi he didn't listen to his own people we told him to excecute the coup plotters he wanted everything to be done following due process and martial law. Alexander madiebo in his book stated aguyi as a typical head strong man who is extremely patriotic and paid no attention to his own people's advise . Even Adewale Ademoyega in his book reinstated that too.

There was a coup actually which the riots of the west is one of the reasons that's story for another day .

Have you ever seen a coup tribunal completed in 4 months?

Were the plotters roaming round free? Weren't they in jail?!

Aguyi did what he was supposed to do as a patriot

1. Unify the country

2. Meet the aggrieved ones and try make peace with them thus the reason for his tours
Thanks to western ibadan news papers then with thier propaganda it was referred to as being in support of the failed coup
His final move was to execute all the coup plotters after the military trial is completed .

Where have you seen a coup tribunal completed in 4 months? sad

I can't wrap my mind around why you lots hate Igbos

If they try to keep the country one wahala!

If they try to secede wahala!

Thunder go fire all Una grin

You are a CRIMINAL.

You and your fellow Biafran CRIMINALS who claim Nigeria won’t let you secede.

Nigeria is BEGGING you to secede.

Today if possible.

JUST DON’T DARE TO TAKE ONE INCH OF NON-IGBO TERRITORY LIKE YOU TRIED THE LAST TIME, AND YOU WILL BE BID FAREWELL BY NIGERIANS INTO YOUR LITTLE DOT IN A CIRCLE.

TRY TO ANNEX NON-IGBO TERRITORY AND YOU WILL BE ANNIHILATED.

SPIT.

1 Like

Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by BeninRefugees: 3:22pm On Aug 16, 2023
Napata77:

You are a CRIMINAL.

You and your fellow Biafran CRIMINALS who claim Nigeria won’t let you secede.

Nigeria is BEGGING you to secede.

Today if possible.

JUST DON’T DARE TO TAKE ONE INCH OF NON-IGBO TERRITORY LIKE YOU TRIED THE LAST TIME, AND YOU WILL BE BID FAREWELL BY NIGERIANS INTO YOUR LITTLE DOT IN A CIRCLE.

TRY TO ANNEX NON-IGBO TERRITORY AND YOU WILL BE ANNIHILATED.

SPIT.

Clown 🤡🤡🤡

See pain grin

Same people who are claiming kwara o grin

Thank God say emir don ban Una madness grin
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by Fejoku: 3:46pm On Aug 16, 2023
anungangampu:

They are cowards. That's how cowards operate. This has been going on for 60+ years with their media. Every election, there is this Ahmmadu bello video they do share around and most of their pastors are involved in repaeating the coup stance to keep the memory alive.
They are very weak people. That's the only way they fight back.
We know thecconstant repetitive strategy is their only weapon because they're cowards but we have to change strategy. Being diplomatic with them has never worked therefore, we must use fire for fire. This is now my stance.
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by Roger3D(m): 3:49pm On Aug 16, 2023
BeninRefugees:
wtf!

He was a hero Nigeria wanted to break up that was why he declared a unitary system. Anyone would have done same in his place.

If you people so much hated what he did

Why wasn't it reversed

Remember it was Gowon that actually completed the decree of unitary system

If y'all were against it

Why didn't you remove it?

Wicked hateful people

Ironsi is the reason Nigeria is one till tomorrow because of his decree for national unity

If Igbos agitate problem

If they call for unity problem

Isn't it shameful you people are still blaming Igbos since over 50 years you've been the ones ruling plunging Nigeria into doom

Slanderous hateful people

We sha no send Una papa

I heard one said the other day that Zik interbred Igbos with Europeans to give rise to fair complexion people in SE grin to rule Nigeria in the future grin laff one kill me grin
This statement is a lie
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by Deadlytruth(m): 6:08am On Sep 07, 2023
rinzaugustine:
Many south easterners see ironsi as a villain. He foiled Nzeogwu’s coup after the coup had succeeded 95% remaining Lagos. Kaduna and Enugu was already captured by the charismatic and revolutionary young leader from south south major Chulwuma kaduna Nzeogwu before Aguiyi-Ironsi thwarted their efforts and arrested the battalion that came to capture Lagos. Aguiyi-Ironsi was dumb in the head Like Tinubu and didn’t know what to do with power even after several advise from his kinsmen like general madiebo he never heeded to any until he was killed in 1966 July. If he had not constituted obstacle nzeogwu and co would have made Nigeria the best country in Africa because they had good plans for the coup and more like in the mound of Che Guevara, Fidel Castro, Thomas sankara and other like minded revolutionaries then but Ironsi killed that dream and became clueless on what to do with power...like Tinubu like Aguiyi-Ironsi..dumbos without plans
Can you in all honesty and sincerity assert that the countries of these coup plotting revolutionaries have become the best in their respective continents? On the other hand the actual best countries of the world today e.g. USA, Japan, Canada, Germany, UK, SA, China, France, Luxembourg, etc never had their democratic experiences punctuated by military intervention.

1 Like

Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by Deadlytruth(m): 6:29am On Sep 07, 2023
kettykin:

Your statements are contradictory and makes mockery of your education in you have any. You clearly stated they were not in jail, you were corrected.
You are coming up with other falsified information that he was in luxury in kiriki only to be moved to Aba .

Nzeogwu for the benefit of the doubt was put in jail pending conclusion of military trials, ironsi was going around trying to calm down frayed nerves and make peace. Please kindly show me any coup tribunal that was concluded in 4 months
Two army mutinies happened within those moments;

1. The January 15 1966 coup by Ifeajuna and co.

2. February 23 declaration of Niger Delta Republic by Isaac Adaka Boro.

Ironically, Ironsi was able to get Isaac Adaka Boro tried and sentenced to death within two months despite his mutiny came one month and eight days after the Ifeajuna and co mutiny. So why did it take Ironsi his entire six months in office (and possibly more had he not been overthrowned) to try and punish the Ifeajuna mutiny?
Reason: Isaac Adaka Boro was not his fellow Igbo but Ifeajuna and co largely were.

1 Like

Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by gidgiddy: 6:38am On Sep 07, 2023
Deadlytruth:

Two army mutinies happened within those moments;

1. The January 15 1966 coup by Ifeajuna and co.

2. February 23 declaration of Niger Delta Republic by Isaac Adaka Boro.

Ironically, Ironsi was able to get Isaac Adaka Boro tried and sentenced to death within two months despite his mutiny came one month and eight days after the Ifeajuna and co mutiny. So why did it take Ironsi his entire six months in office (and possibly more had he not been overthrowned) to try and punish the Ifeajuna mutiny?
Reason: Isaac Adaka Boro was not his fellow Igbo but Ifeajuna and co largely were.

Let me ask you this question, which I know you will never answer. Gowon was in office for 10 months before Ojukwu declared Biafra. Why are you not asking why Gowon did not try the coup plotters?

Of course we know the answer, its one rule if you are Igbo, its another if you are a Northerner

You guys are laughable
Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by Deadlytruth(m): 6:48am On Sep 07, 2023
gidgiddy:

Let me ask you this question, which I know you will never answer. Gowon was in office for 10 months before Ojukwu declared Biafra. Why are you not asking why Gowon did not try the coup plotters?

Of course we know the answer, its one rule if you are Igbo, its another if you are a Northerner

You guys are laughable

Nearly all the coup plotters were already being protected by Ojukwu in the Eastern Prison and with the face off between Ojukwu and Gowon over Ogundipe, Ojukwu would definitely not have corporated with Gowon on any order for the release of the coupists for fair trial.

1 Like

Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by gidgiddy: 7:17am On Sep 07, 2023
Deadlytruth:

Nearly all the coup plotters were already being protected by Ojukwu in the Eastern Prison and with the face off between Ojukwu and Gowon over Ogundipe, Ojukwu would definitely not have corporated with Gowon on any order for the release of the coupists for fair trial.

Total nonsense, Gowon dud not even start the process of trying the coup plotters to even get to stage of if Ojukwu was protecting them

The only reason you are asking why Ironsi didn't try the coup plotters is because Ironsi is Igbo. Gowon is a Northerner, thats why nobody is asking him why he didnt attempt to try the same coup plotters in 10 months

Its all about ethnicity in Nigeria and thats why Nigeria is a waste of time. We should disintegrate the country, go our different ways a d put an end to this headache we have been giving each other since October 1960

1 Like

Re: Is Aguiyi-Ironsi Nigeria's Greatest Enemy? by Deadlytruth(m): 9:01am On Sep 07, 2023
gidgiddy:

Total nonsense, Gowon dud not even start the process of trying the coup plotters to even get to stage of if Ojukwu was protecting them

The only reason you are asking why Ironsi didn't try the coup plotters is because Ironsi is Igbo. Gowon is a Northerner, thats why nobody is asking him why he didnt attempt to try the same coup plotters in 10 months

Its all about ethnicity in Nigeria and thats why Nigeria is a waste of time. We should disintegrate the country, go our different ways a d put an end to this headache we have been giving each other since October 1960
You obviously lack comprehension. Gowon clinched power on August 2 1966 and Ojukwu immediately began to question his legitimacy on the grounds of army seniority rule and by implication didn't recognize Gowon as head of the army let alone head of state. So how could Gowon have set in motion a bid to try a gang of coup plotters who were right under the custody and protection of a professional rival who refused to recognize him as having the position and authority to try coup plotters?

But when all we other tribes saw that Nigeria is a waste as far back as 1944 and called for disintegration, you and your kinsmen told us we were wrong and that the unity of Nigeria is perpetual and non-negotiable. So we decided to agree with you. Why are you now singing a different tune again? Are you toying with our sensibilities or you are just being inconsistent?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbos Need To Finance Geometric Power To Purchase EEDC From Emeka Offor / 2009 Will Be A Tough Year, Obasanjo Warns / Chidinma Wins Project Fame

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.