Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,832 members, 7,817,433 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct (2409 Views)

Is This What We Spent Billions To Do? Obi Condemns Conduct Of Election (Video) / How APC Paid Billions To Win Imo, Kwara, Gombe, Zamfara, Benue - The Sun / Fg Generates Billions Of Dollars From Fulani Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by jumper524(m): 8:13am On Aug 15, 2023
Don't ask me how I got this information but it's legit.
If you've tolled the lagos badagry expressway, you'll notice the high number of tax collectors on the road from illegal military checkpoints to police outposts and then countless number of agberos collecting task along various stops.

I know a particular post usually remits 20k to its boss on a daily basis while it's boys earn from 2k to 5k depending on how busy the road is at the day.
Infact, from seme border down to badagry roundabout, you can count nothing less than 10 points aside the customs that are the only legal bodies allowed, yet this road is still in a terrible condition.
It's been over 10years since the lagos state govt has been on a rehabilitation exercise on that road.
Infact the News agency of Nigeria reported that 3 independent construction companies are constructing the road yet its not even 50% complete.
I understand for a fact that that the road proximity to water ways might be a major stumbling factor to the pace of the road construction but then 10years after the road is not even 50% complete.
Ambode once said the road would be completed by 2019, its 2023 now and its still not half complete.

4 Likes

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by jumper524(m): 8:18am On Aug 15, 2023
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/214463-lagos-badagry-expressway-completed-2019-ambode.html

From Ambode claiming the road would be completed in 2019, to sanwooulu making another claim that it'll be completed by 2022

https://businessday.ng/news/article/rail-projects-lagos-badagry-road-others-to-be-completed-2022-sanwo-olu/#:~:text=2022%20%E2%80%93%20Sanwo%2DOlu-,Rail%20projects%2C%20Lagos%2DBadagry%20road%2C%20others%20to,be%20completed%202022%20%E2%80%93%20Sanwo%2DOlu&text=Major%20ongoing%20projects%20in%20Lagos,the%20state%20governor%2C%20has%20restated.

But then it seems these individuals are not hoping to complete that road soonest.

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by CodeTemplar: 8:26am On Aug 15, 2023
Lol.. Instead of paying contractors money they paying casket money.

3 Likes

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by BossGerald: 8:50am On Aug 15, 2023
Despite the trillions of igr lagos generates??

Now I ask, what's the benefit of overtaxing people in the name of igr??

9 Likes

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by Wisereborn: 8:58am On Aug 15, 2023
jumper524:
I understand for a fact that that the road proximity to water ways might be a major stumbling factor to the pace of the road construction but then 10years after the road is not even 50% complete.
No just mention this excuse in a place like Japan
undecided

If bridges are built on water 🌊💦 what is the talk about proximity

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by nepapole(m): 9:05am On Aug 15, 2023
Nothing new.

Promise n fail politicians on the beat.

Add the logos ibadan express way too.. Make FG come explain.

3 Likes

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by Highways: 9:24am On Aug 15, 2023
Na where their boys dey collect tax

2 Likes

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by hakeemhakeem(m): 11:02am On Aug 15, 2023
It will be good to post the recent pictures , the only area need to be done is toward badagry from agbara

1 Like

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by Lanretoye(m): 11:14am On Aug 15, 2023
jumper524:
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/214463-lagos-badagry-expressway-completed-2019-ambode.html

From Ambode claiming the road would be completed in 2019, to sanwooulu making another claim that it'll be completed by 2022

https://businessday.ng/news/article/rail-projects-lagos-badagry-road-others-to-be-completed-2022-sanwo-olu/#:~:text=2022%20%E2%80%93%20Sanwo%2DOlu-,Rail%20projects%2C%20Lagos%2DBadagry%20road%2C%20others%20to,be%20completed%202022%20%E2%80%93%20Sanwo%2DOlu&text=Major%20ongoing%20projects%20in%20Lagos,the%20state%20governor%2C%20has%20restated.

But then it seems these individuals are not hoping to complete that road soonest.
let me educate you and your fellow ignoramus that the construction of that road is between the tripartite of the Nigerian FG,the LASG and the government of the federal republic of benin and it is not a lagos state government affair alone...since you people have decided to carry empty skull about simply because you want to score mischievous points.you end up making yourselves sound stupid and ignorant.
Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by yemmight(m): 11:18am On Aug 15, 2023
Ambode even try self. Dat errand boy no get future for Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by NoToPile: 11:35am On Aug 15, 2023
That picture is not the recent picture of that very location.

Agbara - Badagry is what is bad now.

You guys forget some of us live around that axis and ply that route to mile 2.

Agbara to mile 2 is now a straight journey.

The road expansion stoped around mechanic/church bustop, the normal 4 lanes continue down to agbara which is still in good condition.
What is remaining is Agbara to Badagry, some parts between Agbara to Badagry have been done also.

3 Likes

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by justtoodark: 11:42am On Aug 15, 2023
Lanretoye:
let me educate you and your fellow ignoramus that the construction of that road is between the tripartite of the Nigerian FG,the LASG and the government of the federal republic of benin and it is not a lagos state government affair alone...since you people have decided to carry empty skull about simply because you want to score mischievous points.you end up making yourselves sound stupid and ignorant.

their matter don tire us....
they know little,dont even bother to find out,but they are the loudest.... undecided undecided
Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by Ikaeniyan0: 11:50am On Aug 15, 2023
Most of the expressway you're talking about have been fixed. Just the Agabra-Badagry axis that needs to be fix now. The road is a FG road.

1 Like

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by Cantonese: 12:56pm On Aug 15, 2023
Lanretoye:

When you are not informed, do not address others as ignorant and stupid. Do not choose to insult others on social media, especially when matters that trouble the nation come up and we grapple endlessly without solutions.

That road was constructed under the military government of OBJ between 1975 and 1977 and it took off from the present Iganmu bridge, terminating at the Seme border. It was a very beautiful road on the entire stretch. It did not take years to complete as we presently experience. It also was not rocket science. The Okokomaiko to Badagry round about stretch took only 30 minutes of driving to complete. That was the beauty until about 1999 and thereafter with the civilian government. In OBJ’s tenure as the President, the Sango - Idiroko was resurfaced and it was speedily done in year 2000.

The Lagos-Badagry expressway which is the Nigerian section of the Trans-West African highway, has been under this painful state for many years, with motorists, pedestrians and people living around the area languishing in daily traffic jam. The portions fixed are well unplanned with dangers everywhere for pedestrians and motorists everywhere.

Tell us how the Republic of Benin is responsible for the Nigerian section of the road, leaving their own side in their country. So you expect them to do the Nigerian part? Who has the empty skull? You or the OP? Their own part leading to Cotonou was long fixed.

Eulogizing corruption is a danger to our youths. Praising leaders when they fail in the discharge of their duties (when you stood in the sun to vote for them) is a sign of your support to continue living in misery, while they pocket the funds to send their children and families abroad to live better lives.

Have you looked at the contractual terms, particularly the delivery date for the project? Have you wondered why governments in Nigeria, state and federal failed on their own part? The idea to fix the road was by BAT while he was the governor of Lagos state. Whose fault is it that the project has taken 15 years and so far uncompleted? The OP who complained? Do you know the pain that residents along that way face daily?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by MrPOTUS: 1:14pm On Aug 15, 2023
I laff wen my Yoruba brothers hype Lagos.

Lagos is a slum, agberos everywhere, dilapidated roads, poor drainage system.

And they compare the third world slum to developed cities across the world undecided

Spit lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by Benekkk: 1:41pm On Aug 15, 2023
Cantonese:

When you are not informed, do not address others as ignorant and stupid. Do not choose to insult others on social media, especially when matters that trouble the nation come up and we grapple endlessly without solutions.

That road was constructed under the military government of OBJ between 1975 and 1977 and it took off from the present Iganmu bridge, terminating at the Seme border. It was a very beautiful road on the entire stretch. It did not take years to complete as we presently experience. It also was not rocket science. The Okokomaiko to Badagry round about stretch took only 30 minutes of driving to complete. That was the beauty until about 1999 and thereafter with the civilian government. In OBJ’s tenure as the President, the Sango - Idiroko was resurfaced and it was speedily done in year 2000.

The Lagos-Badagry expressway which is the Nigerian section of the Trans-West African highway, has been under this painful state for many years, with motorists, pedestrians and people living around the area languishing in daily traffic jam. The portions fixed are well unplanned with dangers everywhere for pedestrians and motorists everywhere.

Tell us how the Republic of Benin is responsible for the Nigerian section of the road, leaving their own side in their country. So you expect them to do the Nigerian part? Who has the empty skull? You or the OP? Their own part leading to Cotonou was long fixed.

Eulogizing corruption is a danger to our youths. Praising leaders when they fail in the discharge of their duties (when you stood in the sun to vote for them) is a sign of your support to continue living in misery, while they pocket the funds to send their children and families abroad to live better lives.

Have you looked at the contractual terms, particularly the delivery date for the project? Have you wondered why governments in Nigeria, state and federal failed on their own part? The idea to fix the road was by BAT while he was the governor of Lagos state. Whose fault is it that the project has taken 15 years and so far uncompleted? The OP who complained? Do you know the pain that residents along that way face daily?

He definitely doesn’t ply that road. Or he probably owns a helicopter. Defending the indefensible.Man is man’s own worst enemy!
Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by ruggedtimi(m): 3:08pm On Aug 15, 2023
Travelling by road from Ghana to Nigeria....u will know that u re in Nigeria once u enter Lagos badagry expressway. M not even talking about bad road but the number of checkpoints on that road. Is crazy

1 Like

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by willi926(m): 6:53pm On Aug 15, 2023
That road has been completed. Wen next I ply that road I will stand and snap this exact location and post it hear. That place is trade fair under bridge, after barracks bustope. The building there in the picture is article market.

1 Like

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by jumper524(m): 11:27pm On Aug 15, 2023
willi926:
That road has been completed. Wen next I ply that road I will stand and snap this exact location and post it hear. That place is trade fair under bridge, after barracks bustope. The building there in the picture is article market.
yea, picture is just for illustration, try snap the agvara to badagry axis lemmi see something.
Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by jumper524(m): 11:28pm On Aug 15, 2023
Lanretoye:
no be you dey talk to, e no fit be me.
Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by JAMO84: 11:34pm On Aug 15, 2023
Gullible people will not verify this trash before swallowing it. The Lagos State government portion is from Orile - mile 2 - iyana oba, feds take it from there to agbara - Badagry. State's portion is 80% completed, even the feds part one lane is just like 3 km to Badagry round about. I know these because I live in Badagry.

1 Like

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by jersy4: 3:18am On Aug 16, 2023
Sango-Ota road will shock you. shocked shocked shocked

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by Nobody: 3:34am On Aug 16, 2023
Lanretoye:

Why do you sound so angry and frustrated over nothing.

Can't you make your damn points without insults and vituperations. If you have updated information, all you have to do is say it like a normal human being.
People have rights to hold their government accountable and i know that sound very strange to you. When Ambode and Sanwoolu made empty promises, were they not aware of the FG and Benin government involvement.
Carry your life frustrations go somewhere else my friend.
Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by ican2020: 3:46am On Aug 16, 2023
That’s Nigeria for you
Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by ai9090: 3:49am On Aug 16, 2023
All is well

I want to sell my LG Side By Side GC-B207WVQ Refrigerator

1 Like

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by Ttalk: 3:54am On Aug 16, 2023
JAMO84:
Gullible people will not verify this trash before swallowing it. The Lagos State government portion is from Orile - mile 2 - iyana oba, feds take it from there to Agbara - Badagry. The state's portion is 80% completed, even the part of the feds one lane is just like 3 km to Badagry roundabout. I know this because I live in Badagry.

Don't mind these useless people. I traveled to Badagry in January and could not believe the level of work done on that road.

The cost of flyover between Mile 2 and Iyana Isashi is bigger than their state's annual budget yet they won't shut their mouth and appreciate good things.

Their entire state does not have the number of flyovers on that road alone and it's been completed in the first tenure of SanwoOlu.

This is the area that many of them run to and live in because of the ambiance and rate of development going on there.

Again, the arrangement is between State and Federal Government and the state has almost completed its portion with over 90% completion while FG is handling the Okoko Badagry axis and a lot of work has been done there also.

May I remind the bigot OP that the cost of the state government portion triples that of FG because of the expansion and light rail that has been incorporated into the project?

Meanwhile, that same road used to be an FG road where it makes so much money from revenue collected by the customs along that axis, yet the state government is taken the larger responsibility for a road that generates huge revenue for the FG.

It is saddening that this country's unitary arrangement doesn't benefit my state or the SW in general, the better we go back to regionalism and allow each region to develop at its own pace the better for us.

1 Like

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by CAPITALBEE: 6:47am On Aug 16, 2023
Lanretoye:

While I agree with you on the fact that it's a collective project, I don't think you have addressed the main issue raised by the OP in anyway - which is the delayed completion of this project.

I also do not agree with the stance of the OP which made it seem like nothing has been done at all. He/she could have done a better work by reeling out the different sections of road and the progress achieved.

The road expansion project is divided into 3 phases as seen below;
+ Orile Iganmu to Mile 2
+ Mile 2 to Okokomaiko
+ Okokomaiko to Seme Border
And it's no joke, coupled with the rail extension on parts of the first two axis.

Current state of that road shows that much of the outstanding work is on the Agbara to Badagry axis which is being funded through a #16billion tax credit from the NNPC. If that section is yet to be completed, then we should be asking questions like

1. Is the delay fund related?
2. Who is in charge of making the funds available?
3. Why have the funds not been released?
4. If 3 is Yes, so what is holding back the construction?
5. Where is the part of holding the contractor accountable?
6. If 3 is No, what is LASG doing to complete this section and get reimbursed afterwards?

1 Like

Re: This Road Generates Billions To Lagos State Govt, Yet Its Still Under Construct by Ttalk: 9:04am On Aug 16, 2023
CAPITALBEE:

While I agree with you on the fact that it's a collective project, I don't think you have addressed the main issue raised by the OP in anyway - which is the delayed completion of this project.

I also do not agree with the stance of the OP which made it seem like nothing has been done at all. He/she could have done a better work by reeling out the different sections of road and the progress achieved.

The road expansion project is divided into 3 phases as seen below;
+ Orile Iganmu to Mile 2
+ Mile 2 to Okokomaiko
+ Okokomaiko to Seme Border
And it's no joke, coupled with the rail extension on parts of the first two axis.

Current state of that road shows that much of the outstanding work is on the Agbara to Badagry axis which is being funded through a #16billion tax credit from the NNPC. If that section is yet to be completed, then we should be asking questions like

1. Is the delay fund related?
2. Who is in charge of making the funds available?
3. Why have the funds not been released?
4. If 3 is Yes, so what is holding back the construction?
5. Where is the part of holding the contractor accountable?
6. If 3 is No, what is LASG doing to complete this section and get reimbursed afterwards?

Don't mind the OP work is going on at the Agbara Seme end which is been handled by Min of Work. Yes, FG has not shown enough commitment commiserate with the revenue generated through the land border. But making it look like it's the incompetency on the part of the state government is grossly unfair

(1) (Reply)

Anambra Cargo Masterplan Puts Nigeria Ahead Of Kenya, Ethiopia, Others(photos) / Reno Omokri Gives Condition For Peace With Peter Obi / Supreme Court Reinstates Sacked Unilorin Lecturers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.