Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. (945 Views)

I Just Got Scammed / I Have Just Been Scammed / 3 Methods To Screenshot On Your Tecno Spark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 1:27pm On Aug 18, 2023
NB:a very very very long read,avoid post in peace if it's too long for you.

Hello and good day,I have read in recent times how many users on this platform have been scammed of there hard earned money,and it's such a pity to watch them go through such harrowing experience in such hard times.
Nb:I am not a writer neither a blogger,I just want to share quick and simple tips to avoid been scammed on this platform,it has worked for me countless times and it can help you in your deals too.

1-never ever pay before delivery or seeing what you are paying for.
Sure there are legit users like us,customers from other states pay fully for items before the recieve it,but in most cases,never ever pay for anything you are transacting on before the item is delivered to you,seller can also offer Payment on delivery to make deals easier.

2-if the price is too cheap or good to be true,steer clear of such.
Yes there are times we offer promo and awuuf deals as sellers to attract more sales,but in many instances of scams,the seller would offer a stupendous and ridiculously cheap prices to attract preys.

3-alway use ESCROW,this has help saved a lot of nairaland members from falling into scams and bad deals.
You can read up on what escrow entails,it ensures both buyers and sellers are not getting ripped off.
Also ensure the deal is satisfactory to both end.
You can always check out well known and trusted legit escrows here on nairaland,one very popular escrow we all know is @wese90
Nb: a point to note ,when in escrow,never ever pay any money to the seller in form of waybill or the likes,
There are particular scammers that are not interested in large sums to scam,the regular 2-5k is there target,
The operate like this,you put them in escrow,they agree to all the terms,(they are always in remote locations,it's a tactic).
When its time to waybill the items,they send you images of a popular bus park to give you the impression they are there,they tell you driver is demanding such amount,that you need to pay them or the driver,it's a scam,pay all monies involved to the escrow.if you pay them,they give you a fake number and disappear.

4- avoid newly registered profiles offering too good to be good deals,always check the profile of the seller,most of the scammers on this platform are newly registered profiles(not members).
Because there former profile was banned by the mods,they are quick to jump to open a new profile,it cost just a email to open a nairaland profile,and we know it costs almost nothing to get a new email every now and then.

5- always use the search feature on nairaland.(there is still a particular nairaland Monika advertising phones as we speak and is guilty of this)
This trick in particular has saved me alot against many scammers here on nairaland,going back to my previous point,most scammers on here are quick to register a new profile after there previous profiles have been banned on nairaland.
Except for OG scammers with numbers phone numbers,
And since the advent of 4 phone numbers to be linked to one NIN,most of this scammers now have limited phone numbers,
So what I do is simple,once I suspect a seller/profile is a scam,I copy the phone number and use the nairaland search button and boom,it would bring out all posts ever been made with that phone number including there former Monika's if they have not deleted It,included all posts deleted by the mods,in some cases,you would find almost 5 pages of deleted posts by mods,that's how you know it's a red flag,run oh!!

6- still always use the nairaland search feature.
If you go to the business section,the first thread is a list of known verified grin scammers both on nairaland and on the internet in some cases,with there full names and account details and numerous phone numbers.
So when a suspected profile issues you a account number to pay to,use the nairaland search button(to search both account number,account name) to see If that account has ever been reported previously for fraud or suspicious activities,it has helped me quite a number of times too.

7- use Google!it never fails.
There is a popular saying on nairaland,it's goes thus,the internet never forgets,
Trust me,if a post is ever made in your phone number or your name and it's posted anywhere on the internet or here on nairaland,a simple search with the keyword brings out all of such details.
Sames goes for how to fish out scammers.
A simple search for there account names,phone number,full name,etc brings out all of there numerous activities on the internet,I have done searches before and seen extensive reports of scammers doing there deeds beyond nairaland.

8- always meet members of these forum in open places like close to police stations,eateries,filling stations,etc,never ever do the mistake of meeting in an isolated area,street,or even in there homes,you might robbed,even worse,killed.

With all been said,I know scammers develop new tactics to use daily,and I tell you this,no matter how smart you think you are,no one is above been scammed!!

Even I my self I have been scammed before on nairaland by a particular Monika called jimiagric , pictures attached.even thou I got my money back from him after 3 years.
Let me gist you the short story,I was naive and new then to nairaland,he advertised a bold 5 or so for swap ,I had a BB curve 2 or so,I chatted him up,he gave me details to pay and how he intends to send to Lagos,because he told me he was in unaab,abk.i foolishly went to eco bank,paid the money,
After he confirmed payment,story started entering,to the point he made me enter bus from lagos to abk,unaab,the guy was a no show,I came back to Lagos dissaapointed and blaming my self for been scammed,of course,I made a thread about it on nairaland,and warned others,he deleted his profile and ran away,I even got abused here on nairaland for been so stupid.but I learnt from my experience.
On how I got my money back.3 years later,I was just chilling on telegram,I got a notification jimiagric joined telegram,this time around he was more let me put successful,I think he works with access bank or a reputable company then,he was kind enough to upload his doings on his profile picture,I knew he had a lot to loose if I exposed him,so I messaged him reminding him of the ugly incident,I showed him his pictures I got from his profile and I threatened to go to his company's twitter to expose him or what he did back then,I backed it up with receipts,obviously he denied it that someone was using his number to commit crimes,but he offered to pay me back all he stole from me with immediate effect.that was how I was lucky to get my money back.even thou I had given up on ever getting the payment back.

This is the little(long read)I have to share as regards this subject matter.

Cheers as always

9 Likes

Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by Obainoman6: 1:42pm On Aug 18, 2023
if i wan scam you you no go know.
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 2:25pm On Aug 18, 2023
Obainoman6:

Did you read the post?

Or you just hyped to type a reply?

4 Likes

Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by b3llo(m): 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2023
noobody:
NB:a very very very long read,avoid post in peace if it's too long for you.

Hello and good day,I have read in recent times how many users on this platform have been scammed of there hard earned money,and it's such a pity to watch them go through such harrowing experience in such hard times.
Nb:I am not a writer neither a blogger,I just want to share quick and simple tips to avoid been scammed on this platform,it has worked for me countless times and it can help you in your deals too.

1-never ever pay before delivery or seeing what you are paying for.
Sure there are legit users like us,customers from other states pay fully for items before the recieve it,but in most cases,never ever pay for anything you are transacting on before the item is delivered to you,seller can also offer Payment on delivery to make deals easier.

2-if the price is too cheap or good to be true,steer clear of such.
Yes there are times we offer promo and awuuf deals as sellers to attract more sales,but in many instances of scams,the seller would offer a stupendous and ridiculously cheap prices to attract preys.

3-alway use ESCROW,this has help saved a lot of nairaland members from falling into scams and bad deals.
You can read up on what escrow entails,it ensures both buyers and sellers are not getting ripped off.
Also ensure the deal is satisfactory to both end.
You can always check out well known and trusted legit escrows here on nairaland,one very popular escrow we all know is @wese90
Nb: a point to note ,when in escrow,never ever pay any money to the seller in form of waybill or the likes,
There are particular scammers that are not interested in large sums to scam,the regular 2-5k is there target,
The operate like this,you put them in escrow,they agree to all the terms,(they are always in remote locations,it's a tactic).
When its time to waybill the items,they send you images of a popular bus park to give you the impression they are there,they tell you driver is demanding such amount,that you need to pay them or the driver,it's a scam,pay all monies involved to the escrow.if you pay them,they give you a fake number and disappear.

4- avoid newly registered profiles offering too good to be good deals,always check the profile of the seller,most of the scammers on this platform are newly registered profiles(not members).
Because there former profile was banned by the mods,they are quick to jump to open a new profile,it cost just a email to open a nairaland profile,and we know it costs almost nothing to get a new email every now and then.

5- always use the search feature on nairaland.(there is still a particular nairaland Monika advertising phones as we speak and is guilty of this)
This trick in particular has saved me alot against many scammers here on nairaland,going back to my previous point,most scammers on here are quick to register a new profile after there previous profiles have been banned on nairaland.
Except for OG scammers with numbers phone numbers,
And since the advent of 4 phone numbers to be linked to one NIN,most of this scammers now have limited phone numbers,
So what I do is simple,once I suspect a seller/profile is a scam,I copy the phone number and use the nairaland search button and boom,it would bring out all posts ever been made with that phone number including there former Monika's if they have not deleted It,included all posts deleted by the mods,in some cases,you would find almost 5 pages of deleted posts by mods,that's how you know it's a red flag,run oh!!

6- still always use the nairaland search feature.
If you go to the business section,the first thread is a list of known verified grin scammers both on nairaland and on the internet in some cases,with there full names and account details and numerous phone numbers.
So when a suspected profile issues you a account number to pay to,use the nairaland search button(to search both account number,account name) to see If that account has ever been reported previously for fraud or suspicious activities,it has helped me quite a number of times too.

7- use Google!it never fails.
There is a popular saying on nairaland,it's goes thus,the internet never forgets,
Trust me,if a post is ever made in your phone number or your name and it's posted anywhere on the internet or here on nairaland,a simple search with the keyword brings out all of such details.
Sames goes for how to fish out scammers.
A simple search for there account names,phone number,full name,etc brings out all of there numerous activities on the internet,I have done searches before and seen extensive reports of scammers doing there deeds beyond nairaland.

8- always meet members of these forum in open places like close to police stations,eateries,filling stations,etc,never ever do the mistake of meeting in an isolated area,street,or even in there homes,you might robbed,even worse,killed.

With all been said,I know scammers develop new tactics to use daily,and I tell you this,no matter how smart you think you are,no one is above been scammed!!

Even I my self I have been scammed before on nairaland by a particular Monika called jimiagric , pictures attached.even thou I got my money back from him after 3 years.
Let me gist you the short story,I was naive and new then to nairaland,he advertised a bold 5 or so for swap ,I had a BB curve 2 or so,I chatted him up,he gave me details to pay and how he intends to send to Lagos,because he told me he was in unaab,abk.i foolishly went to eco bank,paid the money,
After he confirmed payment,story started entering,to the point he made me enter bus from lagos to abk,unaab,the guy was a no show,I came back to Lagos dissaapointed and blaming my self for been scammed,of course,I made a thread about it on nairaland,and warned others,he deleted his profile and ran away,I even got abused here on nairaland for been so stupid.but I learnt from my experience.
On how I got my money back.3 years later,I was just chilling on telegram,I got a notification jimiagric joined telegram,this time around he was more let me put successful,I think he works with access bank or a reputable company then,he was kind enough to upload his doings on his profile picture,I knew he had a lot to loose if I exposed him,so I messaged him reminding him of the ugly incident,I showed him his pictures I got from his profile and I threatened to go to his company's twitter to expose him or what he did back then,I backed it up with receipts,obviously he denied it that someone was using his number to commit crimes,but he offered to pay me back all he stole from me with immediate effect.that was how I was lucky to get my money back.even thou I had given up on ever getting the payment back.

This is the little(long read)I have to share as regards this subject matter.

Cheers as always
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by davit: 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2023
Noobody my guy. One of the legit guys on nairaland. Been a while. Trust business is still booming.
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 5:52pm On Aug 18, 2023
davit:
Noobody my guy. One of the legit guys on nairaland. Been a while. Trust business is still booming.

My able boss,

We thank God always,it's been a long while,..

Thank you for checking up on me

Cheers
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 7:27am On Feb 26
Stay sharp.
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by devilmaycry: 7:36am On Feb 26
This is front page worthy...
The rate of scamming here is something else....the naive ones should learn one or two
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 9:19am On Feb 29
99% of scams on nairaland could be avoided if these tips are adhered to.
It's a long read and I understand our attention span have shortened.
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by hansomb: 2:19pm On Feb 29
Gbam
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by hansomb: 2:24pm On Feb 29
Obainoman6:
have you scam b4 to know that ?
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 8:01am On Mar 01
Simple tips,just read.
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 10:01am On Mar 03
Scammers on the prowl!!

I have exposed many of them on here
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 12:22pm On Mar 03
Transsion for fraud!!
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 8:29am On Mar 04
Scammers are on the prowl,

Don't be a victim.

A simple search on nairaland can go a long way.
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 9:36am On Mar 05
Good tips
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 8:40am On Mar 11
Simple tips that can go a long way.
Re: Caveat Emptor!! Simple Methods To Avoid Been Scammed Here On Nairaland. by noobody(m): 8:08am On Mar 16
Sharp

(1) (Reply)

Where Or How Can I Buy Phone And Pay Instalmentally Every Month? / Radio For Nokia 6600 / Free Call Trck

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.