Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,576 members, 7,816,424 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters (22690 Views)

NUEE Gives Minister, Adelabu Adebayo, 2 Weeks To Issue Prepaid Meters / NERC Urges Users To Update Prepaid Meters Before November / Consumers Kick As FG Raises Prices Of Prepaid Meters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by Islie: 7:49am On Aug 24, 2023
Customers of electricity distribution companies are protesting the moves by electricity distribution companies to retrieve prepaid meters for an upgrade.

The Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company recently informed its customers via its Facebook page that it would begin retrieving a set of prepaid meters for upgrading.

The flyer from the Disco read, Dear esteemed customers. Kindly be informed that as part of the ongoing meter upgrading, we will be retrieving from our customers, prepaid meters with meter numbers 62417, 62418…and some meter no, starting with 6321…This is to enable us to upgrade.

“Our field staff will visit the affected customers’ properties to retrieve the meters.”

The company further said the meter would be returned once upgrading was concluded, and that old tokens would not be wiped out from the meters.

However, the information did not go down well with its customers.

One Olatinwo Multimedia, a customer of the Disco, said codes should be provided instead.

That is nonsense. You should provide a link where meter codes will be placed for updates. It is absolutely nonsense and unrealistic to remove already (installed) prepaid meters. Who does that?” he queried.

Another customer, Olaanipekun Henrym warned IBEDC members of staff “not to come near” his house.

Nobody should come near my house because you people cannot be trusted. Mine is 62418, but nobody will take it away for an upgrade. I know any attempt to take it away, it won’t be returned in a year,” he said.

On his part, Akinyemi Tayo said the Disco could not be trusted.

Walahi, you people want to rob us again by increasing the tariff so that it can finish on time. This is wickedness. God will stop it soon,” he said.

Sources close to the matter told The PUNCH that other Discos could employ similar avenues to upgrade problematic meters.

“I said it. IBEDC can’t upgrade automatically. Can you imagine going manually and hoping it won’t be hijacked by crooks,” one Oni Kunle said.

Muraina Akeem Olatunji added that the Disco was “taking their customers for fools, abi?”

A twist was added to the Discourse when one Adewusi Ayodele said, that although he had upgraded his meter via a code provided by the Disco, however, he was given a lesser token after a fresh recharging.

Good day, IBEDC. I did a recharge of N6,000 but was given a token for 43.04 units. I am confused with these new tariffs/charges. Kindly clarify,” he said.

Rasaq Adebayo expressed fear that the meter may not be returned until after six months if customers allowed the Disco to take it away.

IBEDC’s spokesperson, Adebusolami Tunwase, told The PUNCH that customers whose meters would be retrieved would be placed on post-paid meters during the period.

The information is explicit. It is to upgrade the software of meters that are rejecting upgrade codes, and the meter series affected are stated.

“They will be put on post-paid meters that require bill payment for that duration. The meters will be returned as the upgrade is completed. And as you know, the upgrade continues till November
” she said.

A spokesperson for the Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors, Sunday Oduntan condemned the intended retrieval, describing it as “absurd”.

Meanwhile, spokespersons for the Eko Electricity Distribution Company, Babatunde Lasaki and Kano Electricity Distribution Company, Bala Sani, including the Corporate Communications department of Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company, did not respond to inquiries about the retrieval of some meters.

Metering expert, Sesan Okunade told The PUNCH that the update that was shared by IBEDC was part of the development in the power sector as stipulated by the STS compliance meter.

“What this implies is for the TID rollover. Each of the smart meters that we have that is compliant with the STS is expected to roll over by the 24th of November 2024 to zero, and what that implies is that if you do not upgrade, it may no longer be active.

“So, ordinarily, what is to be done is for each Disco to generate a key change token for each customer when they are making their purchases, but I am sure this class of meters with these numbers stipulated is specific to a particular meter supplier, which is having a defect. They might need to do it offline, and possibly take them to their offices.

“If other Discos have also patronise this same supplier, they might follow suit. At the time those meters were purchased, the Discos themselves were not aware because the market was flooded by different types of meters. They got to know say around late last year. So, the meter supplier must have provided upgrade codes to be done offline,” he explained.

The President of the Electricity Consumers Association of Nigeria, Chijioke James, did not give a concrete response to The PUNCH inquiries.

“I am still outside the country and can only respond after consultation with colleagues on the ground,” he said.

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission’s Spokesperson, Usman Arabi, said the Commission would continue to ensure that the Discos’ businesses are conducted in a manner that favours not just the electricity market, but also the consumers.

https://punchng.com/customers-protest-discos-plan-to-retrieve-prepaid-meters/

6 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by TemplarLandry: 7:51am On Aug 24, 2023
😎
Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by Beremx(f): 7:53am On Aug 24, 2023
Waiting for IKEDC to start their own madness of upgrading meters. They should be ready to dance DISCO music from their customers.

Ndi ara

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by GanagiBitrus: 8:00am On Aug 24, 2023
The company further said the meter would be returned once upgrading was concluded, and that old tokens would not be wiped out from the meters.
They can come & retrieve mine, provided I'll be enjoying free light without bills until returned.
&also the upgrade will not translate to increased tarrif.

&does it even make sense to allow NEPA to remove your meter & place you on estimated billing?
Should it take that long to upgrade a meter?
The NEPA we all know will gladly spend months doing so called upgrade, while you will be paying estimated bills even when there is no light.

24 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by Racoon(m): 8:01am On Aug 24, 2023
I said it here yesterday. NERC is really up to something sinister and devilish. No agency of government is trustworthy under this APC government of lies and propaganda

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by Nbote(m): 8:03am On Aug 24, 2023
We are really really an unserious nation. What sort of upgrade would require having to replace existing metres for heavens sake if not for a sinister one. You have not successfully metered most Nigerians and your next priority is to replace the metred ones in the name of an upgrade

33 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by helinues: 8:22am On Aug 24, 2023
They want to upgrade so that they can provide better service yet some people dey protest.

What are they afraid of that they dont want their prepaid meters to be upgraded?

Na DISCO get time, play them reggae by disabling any account that are yet to be upgraded after the expiring period

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by MrsTwrite(f): 8:24am On Aug 24, 2023
Nigerians with everyday drama. grin
Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by helinues: 8:25am On Aug 24, 2023
Racoon:
I said it here yesterday. NERC is really up to something sinister and devilish. No agency of government is trustworthy under this APC government of lies and propaganda

No wahala, na to stop providing service to those who refused to upgrade their prepaid meters when the time given lapses.

You people can go to court. Sebi una wan dey play politics with everything

35 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by MTNnews: 8:26am On Aug 24, 2023
Rest abeg person support APC no mean say make person de talk any how.

helinues:
They want to upgrade so that they can provide better service yet some people dey protest.

What are they afraid of that they want their prepaid meters to be upgraded?

Na DISCO get time, play them reggae by disabling any account that are yet to be upgraded after the expiring period

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by helinues: 8:27am On Aug 24, 2023
MTNnews:
Rest abeg person support APC no mean day make person de talk any how.

Sorry who is this? Did you miss your road?

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by cursedAbiola(f): 8:29am On Aug 24, 2023
Beremx:
Waiting for IKEDC to start their own madness of upgrading meters. They should be ready to dance DISCO music from their customers.

Ndi ara
nwaanyị ibe m na so we see am oo
Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by safarilove(m): 8:35am On Aug 24, 2023
My own be say do not add to people's problem..

2 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by EnglishUsa: 8:35am On Aug 24, 2023
H
Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by Lovenorth: 8:35am On Aug 24, 2023
That's Ebola for you grin, enjoy your APC. Truth be told Yorubas are not feeling the heat

2 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by ImoleNaija: 8:36am On Aug 24, 2023
I see nothing wrong in the move, but then na Naija we dey.
Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by havenz(m): 8:36am On Aug 24, 2023
Their own na play, Dem even lucky say I no get one.
Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by opalu: 8:36am On Aug 24, 2023
Imagine
Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by jmoore(m): 8:36am On Aug 24, 2023
IGNORANCE on display.

We should be careful on how we fabricate ridiculous conspiracy theories.

The update is happening in other countries.

If you fail to update, you can't load any unit to your meter after the deadline of November 2024.

While some meters can be updated without physical touch. It seems the metres that need physical touch for update are the old ones.

3 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by Racoon(m): 8:36am On Aug 24, 2023
helinues:
They want to upgrade so that they can provide better service yet some people dey protest.What are they afraid of that they want their prepaid meters to be upgraded?

So much policy somersaults and failures. This government have credibility issues and never to be trusted. INEC, NERC, Police, etc. Not everyone is a zombie.

16 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by MrPOTUS: 8:37am On Aug 24, 2023
lipsrsealed

I don't know if there's another hell beyond Nigeria.

This country keeps sinking.

God have mercy. lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by Wealthoptulent(m): 8:38am On Aug 24, 2023
Give any official wotowoto

1 Like

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by jeromestarks: 8:38am On Aug 24, 2023
Let disco breathe.
The only thing you should be thinking of retrieving is the bride price you paid on a woman who has been fvcked and mounted by many men for just indomie and two eggs.

How can you pay bride price, sponsor wedding ceremony and take care of inlaws just to have a woman who another man fvcked with just two eggs and indomie?

Once a girl is not a virgin, fvck her and let others fvck her when you're tired of her overused pvssy. Don't let the family scam you into paying bride price on their daughter.

Some parents are tired of keeping their daughters. They are just looking for a fool to take her(them) to his home . Don't be that fool.

4 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by livebyday(m): 8:38am On Aug 24, 2023
To those wondering why , this will also be done in EKDC PHED ABDEC and others

The pre paid meters would be changed to he new model that has to be mounted on the electric pole

This Is to curb the menace of meter by passing that 70% of consumers using prepaid meters do across the nation.

But where your meter firmware can be updated OTA then this won't be necessary

1 Like

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by AmazingELixir: 8:38am On Aug 24, 2023
grin grin grin

I like this quote, i guess this must be a very good example of sound a warning I have been hearing about since I was small.

" Another customer, Olaanipekun Henrym warned IBEDC members of staff “not to come near” his house."

3 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by BigYash: 8:38am On Aug 24, 2023
helinues:

What are they afraid of that they want their prepaid meters to be upgraded?

That was how Apc promised you heaven on earth.. How your life and that of your likes today?

11 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by McLizbae: 8:38am On Aug 24, 2023
Customer please don't let your prepaid meter out of sight!!!

It is either it is upgraded right where it has been installed or swapped with another one. If you at any point go meter-less¦ sope otilooooooø

8 Likes

Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by money121(m): 8:39am On Aug 24, 2023
Ok
Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by SIRKAY98(m): 8:39am On Aug 24, 2023
;DHahayahahahatarataratara, they should carry it but connect me to the grud for free, pending when they return it or else we die here.
Re: Customers Protest Discos’ Plan To Retrieve Prepaid Meters by MrPOTUS: 8:39am On Aug 24, 2023
BigYash:
That was how Apc promised you heaven on earth.. How your life and that of your likes today?

Leave the idiot, team suffering and smiling.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kano Issues Protocols For Eid, Friday Prayers / Nnamdi Kanu Fainted Severally In Kenyan Custody, Smeared With Faeces / Electoral ACT 2022: What Are The Fates Of Govt Appointees Who Are Yet To Resign?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.