Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ (12114 Views)

Nigeria’s FX Reserves Drop To $32bn — Lowest Level In Six Years / Nigeria’s Foreign Reserve Is $3.7 Billion, Not $33.8 Billion - JP Morgan / Igbo Businessmen Ask Northern Traders To Give Estimate Of Losses From IPOB Attac (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by ijustdey: 4:58pm On Aug 24, 2023
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) says the recent estimate of the country’s foreign exchange (FX) reserves by JP Morgan was presented “out of context”.

Hassan Mahmud, director of monetary policy department, CBN, spoke when he featured on Moneyline with Nancy, a programme on Africa Independent Television (AIT), on Wednesday.

Earlier this week, JP Morgan estimated that the CBN’s net FX reserves fell to $3.7 billion at the end of 2022, compared to $14 billion in 2021.

Reacting to the development, Mahmoud said that fluctuations, liabilities and encumbrances to the reserves were only natural and normal.

We also read the JP Morgan numbers in-house and we didn’t panic over that. That’s not the first time we are seeing people, institutions reeling out numbers; they must have their intentions to do that, whether to rouse market sentiments, whether to mislead the public,” Mahmud said.

“But the central bank has tried as much as possible to be transparent. What I will say about those numbers is that it is just funny in the sense that number one, reserves like any account balance, is a flow; there are changes that go within it at any particular time.

“Two, even if you have outstanding liabilities, you don’t mark the outstanding liabilities to market on a day and say this is your net balance.

“I can have $20 million in my account and I am owing someone maybe $13 million that is supposed to be paid in 2027; you can’t come in 2023 and say if I remove that $13 million, your money is $7 million or you are having $7 million.

“Now, I am not having $7 million, I am having $20 million. Because before I took a facility of $13 million, I know in the next three years, I will get $17 million so I can pay you back.

But for you to come and tell me that no, your balance is $7 million and you can’t pay back in three years; it’s just putting it out of context.

I don’t know how they did their calculations and I don’t have any information about that, but we also saw those numbers that came out.”

Mahmud said the CBN owned about 80 percent of funds in reserves mainly to support the local currency in periods of volatility as well as to boost confidence of foreign investors.

“We have the numbers there. The central bank’s reserves are on our bank net. Yes, the figure you see today may not be exactly to the last decimal point but you have that picture that you are seeing there,” the CBN official said.

“We have $33bn, there is IMF facility there, the SDR is also there, we have the JP Morgan numbers that you mentioned, we have forwards, they are all there.”

Asked if the public should disregard the JP Morgan estimate, Mahmud said: “It is a ridicule for us (CBN) to come to the public domain, whether the CBN governor or deputy governor to speak on issues by JP Morgan. I don’t even know who said it in JP Morgan.”

I don’t want us to get to that level where we will be ridiculing ourselves as a sovereign or country because of a private investor that has its own motives for giving those numbers. It could also be that those numbers were quoted out of context.”

https://www.thecable.ng/cbn-counters-jp-morgan-says-estimate-of-nigerias-net-fx-reserves-misleading/amp

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by ivolt: 5:01pm On Aug 24, 2023
Okay.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by Realtord43: 5:06pm On Aug 24, 2023
CBN should know propaganda cant work outside Nigeria

JP is reputable and cant lie against the CBN

112 Likes 13 Shares

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by EmperorCaesar(m): 5:20pm On Aug 24, 2023
Obidients will come here to call it a "Propaganda Government"

Their outmost joy is to see foreign bodies giving out negative stats about the government

Wehn it turns out to be positive, then its paid/sponsored

How logically deficient can one be? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by SmartPolician: 6:03pm On Aug 24, 2023
Oga, if you no get evidence, you go explain tire!

Prove that you are right by publishing what we have in foreign reserves. Let's see the statement of account.

Allow Nigerians to go and verify it. After all, the money belongs to Nigeria and every serious country makes public their foreign reserves.

If I ever join politics, Nigerians will understand what they have been missing all along...

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by kingamaa(m): 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2023
Cover-up and more cover-up.

What is important is food on my table

Let the poor breathe, the masses are dying of starvation

FG face the economy and purchasing power of the naira. The masses are choking

Town don red, eye sef red

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by ntyce(m): 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2023
Lol, why did it take you a whole week to respond?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by DropsMic(m): 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2023
Balablu economics
Nigeria don enter one chance

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by INTEGRITYA1(m): 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2023
Well taken.

If you are living in any of these Cities: London, Paris, Manchester, Birmingham or Dubai.

This information is for you.

Attend our Real Estate Submit live and direct at your door step.

London - 26th of August
Paris - 29th of August
Manchester - 2nd of Sep.
Birmingham - 3rd of Sep.
Dubai - 5th of Sep.

Real Estate Submit that open your mind to Real Estate Investment opportunities in Nigeria.

For how to attend or enquiry Call/Whatsapp the attached phone number Now.

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by valentineuwakwe(m): 6:07pm On Aug 24, 2023
So what is our exact amount? Forget all this am owing and I will pay by 2027.....how much is Nigeria's foreign reserves?

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by wittywriter: 6:07pm On Aug 24, 2023
Always countering and denying...
Funny APC led government peeps.

ntyce:
Lol, why did it take you a whole week to respond?
valentineuwakwe:
So what is our exact amount? Forget all this am owing and I will pay by 2027.....how much is Nigeria's foreign reserves?

SmartPolician:

Prove that you are right by publishing what we have in foreign reserves. Let's see the statement of account.

Allow Nigerians to go and verify it. After all, the money belongs to Nigeria and every serious country makes public their foreign reserves.

If I ever join politics, Nigerians will understand what they have been missing all along...

nnachukz:
At the end, no evidence to prove them wrong. Judging from what we know our leaders to be, it is safer to accept the JP Morgan report than believing these people that lie for a living.

Ufemni:
That's how they will keep denying because if the next few years proves JP Morgan right, the same person who denied it will be chilling in the states and nobody will be held accountable.

They will keep denying until they plunge this country into an abyss of no return.

Wittyness

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by money121(m): 6:08pm On Aug 24, 2023
Ok
Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by N2B2: 6:08pm On Aug 24, 2023
ijustdey:

“I can have $20 million in my account and I am owing someone maybe $13 million that is supposed to be paid in 2027; you can’t come in 2023 and say if I remove that $13 million, your money is $7 million or you are having $7 million.

“Now, I am not having $7 million, I am having $20 million. Because before I took a facility of $13 million, I know in the next three years, I will get $17 million so I can pay you back.

https://www.thecable.ng/cbn-counters-jp-morgan-says-estimate-of-nigerias-net-fx-reserves-misleading/amp

No, sir. You have $7 million, not $13 million. The $13 million is an accrued liability, not an asset. An honest person will move the $13 million to the right side of their balance sheet because it's a liability. Only criminals will claim it as part of their assets.

You either know nothing about accounting or intend to mislead the uneducated who put you in power. Fortunately, JPM is an international conglomerate that won't partake in your propaganda.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by Bubu4Sea: 6:08pm On Aug 24, 2023
APShit built on lies, maintained on lies.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by nnachukz(m): 6:09pm On Aug 24, 2023
At the end, no evidence to prove them wrong. Judging from what we know our leaders to be, it is safer to accept the JP Morgan report than believing these people that lie for a living.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by Newdawn30: 6:09pm On Aug 24, 2023
They think say jp Morgan na local bank wey dey fit hush

4 Likes

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by greatiyk4u(m): 6:09pm On Aug 24, 2023
Story story

1 Like

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by Coolbadguy: 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2023
How much dey tell us and stop those your propaganda e nor dey work outside naija.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by starpower(m): 6:11pm On Aug 24, 2023
His Explanation is confusing him. They said net saving. Funny bureaucracts.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by Sapiosexuality(m): 6:11pm On Aug 24, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

Their outmost joy is to see foreign bodies giving out negative stats about the government

Maybe not propaganda. His explanation makes sense if it's actually the case.
Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by McLizbae: 6:11pm On Aug 24, 2023
Lol... The two "both" of them should present trackable proofs grin

1 Like

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by slowice(m): 6:11pm On Aug 24, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

You are funny, why will jp Morgan lie against Nigeria? Don't you think they ve insider information on this?

11 Likes

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by Kay25(m): 6:12pm On Aug 24, 2023
SmartPolician:

There is nothing better that u can offer..u Will always be like them noni
Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by gaby(m): 6:14pm On Aug 24, 2023
Una dey challenge JP Morgan?

Dem go open una nyansh just now.

Make una jeje respect oneself oh...lol

Mechanical Financial and monetary experts.

You go fear Oshodi and Wuse market explanations na.....lol

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by GetSenseNow: 6:14pm On Aug 24, 2023
Bet me, someone will come here and abuse Peter Obi, Obidients and Igbos in this post despite nothing concerns them with the post

16 Likes

Re: CBN Counters JP Morgan, Says Estimate Of Nigeria’s Net FX Reserves ‘misleading’ by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 24, 2023
The Favour don land!
grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Visits Rupiah Banda - Photos / Senate Passes Whistle Blowers Protection Bill, 2017 / APC Committee Gets Indefinite Tenure Extension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.