Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,266 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) (26565 Views)

3 Young Women Who Are Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Rivers State (Photos) / 2021 Edition Of Umuagu Community New Yam Festival Set For Oct 3 / Igbos Celebrate New Yam Festival In Ghana (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by TUTU147: 10:02pm On Aug 24, 2023
Iwaji is a sacred tradition of the igbo people,it is celebrated by all igbo town and villages.This is the uniqueness of igbo nation, every community related to Igbos in one way or the other must observe this great occasion.

1 Like

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by GetSenseNow: 10:02pm On Aug 24, 2023
Chithauri:
I know even Evans, Clifford orji and those baby factory na Yoruba dem be too abi

Kidnapping, na North get am. Baby factory is akin to surrogate homes, it's just that they're operating illegally
Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by clems88(m): 10:03pm On Aug 24, 2023
I worked in this Igwe company before he became Igwe.
We shout MORN SIR ! Tire. Worst place to worked because they will stagnate your destiny. Run for your life
Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Jcoleworld911: 10:03pm On Aug 24, 2023
Chithauri:
enter south Africa go push drugs na

Or harvest skull cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by nonhuman(m): 10:04pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
Ayam sorry but anytime i dey hear dis so called yam festival dey make me to laugh. But my question is, how is yam part of ibo culture?, did ibos discover yam?, is there no ibo word for yam?, why not use your indigenous language for the festival rather than English.
new yam fastival is translated, it's called iri hi ohuru, it's a celebration of new yam, in times of old yam is regarded as the king of all crops known to them, because of the way the way it's cultivated in Igbo land,
Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by HEBEI: 10:10pm On Aug 24, 2023
I hope they invited their brother-community, ANAKU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Omoawoke: 10:16pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
Ayam sorry but anytime i dey hear dis so called yam festival dey make me to laugh. But my question is, how is yam part of ibo culture?, did ibos discover yam?, is there no ibo word for yam?, why not use your indigenous language for the festival rather than English.

Na copy copy

Yoruba did Isese day. A proper indigenous practice

The word isese is very deep

But abeg, what’s new yam festival 🤣
Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by colonelwealth(m): 10:16pm On Aug 24, 2023
TundeBricklayer:
IGWE ACHEBE, ANAMBRA SPEAKER UDEZE, IGBAKIGBA OTHERS FETES WITH OMOR KINGDOM AS IGWE ORANU CHIDUME CELEBRATES 2023 OMOR NEW YAM FESTIVAL

The traditional ruler of Omor community in Ayamelum local government, HRH Igwe Dr Chris Oranu Chidume MON (Eze Igulube Omor, Eze Anaukwu) on Saturday August, 19, 2023 performed the Omor 2023 New Yam Festival (Iwa Ji Omor) in a style.

Igwe Oranu who call on the government to continue their dedication towards encouraging productivity in the country and in the state. He believes that if the state and federal govt came encourage the citizenry to go into production of both agricultural produce and other of our daily needs, it will reduce our dependence on imported goods and increase our exportation.

He added that if these measures are taken, it will sharply improve our economy and reduce drastically the high poverty rate and economic hardship bedeviling the nation presently.

He equally commends the Governor Prof Charles Chukwuma Soludo CFR led Anambra State Government for their continued efforts that made the event a peaceful one and pray more efforts are needed towards enhancing productivity even in the state level.

Addressing the press, the Obi of Onitsha, HRM Igwe Alfred Achebe MFR encouraged Ndi Anambra, Igbos and Nigeria at large to go back to agriculture. He said that our old practice of farming our backyards if revived can go a long way to provide food security in the country.

The leader of Omor Supreme Elders Council Rtd. Hon Justice Paul Obidigwe really thanked God for blessing Omor community with a selfless monarch as HRH Igwe Dr Oranu Chidume MON who has continued serving and providing for the Omor community with his wealth.

Justice Obidigwe prayed that God will continue to bless the Igwe, his family and his source of wealth and that his reign will continue till infinity.

The high point of the event includes masquerade display, women dance troupe, Ndi Ada troupe and many other cultural displays that made the event a remarkable and a breathtaking scenery.

Also the Anambra House of Assembly Speaker, Rt Hon Somto Udeze, Anambra State commissioner for homeland, Chief Chikodi Anara (Igbakigba), Commissioner for Industry, Mr Christian, Udechukwu Hon Member Representing Ayamelum at Anambra State Assembly, Hon Abuchi Bernard Udemezue, Igwe of Aguleri, HRM Igwe Dr Mike Idigo (Eze Udo Aguleri), HRH Igwe Johnson Mbanefo of Mkpunando Aguleri, and many traditional rulers and top govt functionaries, lawmakers graced the event.

All I see is beauty.
Igbo culture is very beautiful and the Omor people of Anambra sure has swag.
Look at the royal and elders dressing....very colorful&classy.

4 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Omoawoke: 10:17pm On Aug 24, 2023
Greatkenny2:

You're a yellowba muzlem... We don't expect you to understand the revered new yam festival...... I'm sure you have the isese festival you and your Fulani lords are disputing over to worry about

New yam is an English word and it’s celebrated all over. It is not indigenous to igbos

Please what’s the Igbo name of the festival

Look at Eyo for example, Eyo is indigenous to Yorubas alone
Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Omoawoke: 10:18pm On Aug 24, 2023
KwuoteYourFada:

Yam festival is by far the biggest cultural festival of Igbos

Yam is an English word

Don’t you have a native culture? 🤣

New yam festival my foot

Una no get identity
Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Omoawoke: 10:21pm On Aug 24, 2023
yarimo:
They are all looking very ugly undecided undecided

Ugly and dirty

🤣

The whole stench coming from Onitsha can kill the entire flies in Sub Sahara africa
Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by slowice(m): 10:34pm On Aug 24, 2023
ecolime:
I'm suprised Igbos celebrate new yam festival shocked

Igede people of Benue state sef dey always celebrate am. Their own ehn, dem celebrate am pass Christmas and New year sef.

Yam festival is celebrated across igbo land... In my place it is called OGIDI

3 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by slowice(m): 10:36pm On Aug 24, 2023
waynetee:

Don't mind them, they didn't know they do yam festivals everywhere.

Y'all are demonic. This post is about a festival in igboland but somehow you found a way to import your hate into this beautiful thread. Una nor dey rest?

7 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Typing: 10:50pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:

That's Igbo for you

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by condralbedez: 10:51pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
Why are you ashamed to call it iri ji?, it has always been called yam, even on official letter heads from Governor's office. And why is yam part of your culture?, na una get am?
Nah lie,the people call it iri ji,you only see Yam festival on media.

2 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by ceeceeuwa: 11:05pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
Why are you ashamed to call it iri ji?, it has always been called yam, even on official letter heads from Governor's office. And why is yam part of your culture?, na una get am?
Na you get am?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Expanse2020(m): 11:19pm On Aug 24, 2023
greatiyk4u:

Iwa Ji festival
Iwa ji
Iri ji
Why don't kuku call am Iragbiji Festival 🤣🤣🤣

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Emetex22(m): 11:24pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
Igbo matter gives u sustained erection, 😆 🤣 😂, what will you do if Igbos are not living rent free in ur head, Iri ji has always been part of Igbo culture, if other cultures like to celebrate it, why will that be a problem, at the mention of Illorin, ur erection goes limb, ur hatred for Igbos does stop them from progressing

4 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by OdefaGirl(f): 11:30pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:

Wetin no be problem for una abeg?

1 Like

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by OdefaGirl(f): 11:32pm On Aug 24, 2023
yarimo:

You go commit suic!de very soon because of Igbos

4 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Ceeman2o: 11:36pm On Aug 24, 2023
yarimo:

Igbos look ugly?. Says someone all his rich tribal men take turns dying to have a bride from the ugly men's daughters?. just to be part of the beautiful tribe to secure and save their children from looking like African apes. Beauty and your ronu tribe are really opposite and can never match.

All my years in Lagos. I've never found any
Yoruba lady really attractive. I wonder how their men who've met beautiful women outside their enclave cope with them.

Very anyhow and shapeless ugly dark creatures

All my life Never believed a Yoruba person will ever want to use ugly to describe any group of people in Africa as a whole or join any banter or gossip that will describe people as ugly.internet self

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Finneseguy1(m): 11:52pm On Aug 24, 2023
I did my Nysc in ayemelum , such a lovely place

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Probz(m): 11:54pm On Aug 24, 2023
yarimo:

Where’s your selfie?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by InvertedHammer: 11:57pm On Aug 24, 2023
/
There is Omoo in Ayamelum LGA and Omoo in Orumba LGA both in Anambra State.

Interesting!

/
Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Bunnatex(m): 11:57pm On Aug 24, 2023
TundeBricklayer:
HRH Igwe Dr Chris Oranu Chidume MON (Eze Igulube Omor, Eze Anaukwu) is one of the biggest industrialists in Anamabra state he is the owner of Eastern Distilleries & Food Industries located in Ogbaru, Anamabra state makers of these products not imported, all indigenous products

He also owns Krisoral Company

1 Like

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Aboguede(m): 12:17am On Aug 25, 2023
Thus so called idigo the king of aguleri nkpunando, I am wondering if this us the same man I know back in pH who is a baron in industrial equipment s shocked

My life has crossed the parts of so many very great wealthy men and women and I will join thus great club... Isee

1 Like

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by EmekaA125(m): 2:38am On Aug 25, 2023
Pakute:

isese is a yoruba word and the culture peculiar to the yoruba people, hence the word "isese". Is yam peculiar to the ibos?
Useless Isese that Fulanis ordered you fools never to bring to Kwara and it was obeyed. Fools

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by EmekaA125(m): 2:40am On Aug 25, 2023
Omoawoke:

Ugly and dirty

🤣

The whole stench coming from Onitsha can kill the entire flies in Sub Sahara africa
Open defecation capital of the world is ur region. Slum dwellers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by EmekaA125(m): 2:41am On Aug 25, 2023
Jcoleworld911:

Or harvest skull cheesy
grin grin grin

This is the only language they understand. Match them word for word.

These Yorubas in Nairaland are something else.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by EmekaA125(m): 2:43am On Aug 25, 2023
Ceeman2o:

Igbos look ugly?. Says someone all his rich tribal men take turns dying to have a bride from the ugly men's daughters?. just to be part of the beautiful tribe to secure and save their children from looking like African apes. Beauty and your ronu tribe are really opposite and can never match.

All my years in Lagos. I've never found any
Yoruba lady really attractive. I wonder how their men who've met beautiful women outside their enclave cope with them.

Very anyhow and shapeless ugly dark creatures

All my life Never believed a Yoruba person will ever want to use ugly to describe any group of people in Africa as a whole or join any banter or gossip that will describe people as ugly.internet self
They're naturally ugly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Omoawoke: 3:29am On Aug 25, 2023
EmekaA125:

Open defecation capital of the world is ur region. Slum dwellers

Onistha remains the dirty capital of Africa

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by chibnnodi: 3:38am On Aug 25, 2023
First, I must say that it's an age long tradition.

Second, the Igbos should not see themselves with the eyes of the Hausas and Yorubas. So, the Igbos are acephalous and are not rules by kings.

Last, the Igbos can should discontinue the caste system.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3 Female Osun Followers Solicit For Alms, Dressed In White (Photos) / Indigenous Ogbona People In Edo State Celebrate New Yam Festival "Esi" / How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.