Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,060 members, 7,814,647 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement (47593 Views)

Peter Obi's Wife Compares The South East With Sambisa Forest / Ministry Of Works Allocates N100m To Road Rehabilitated By RCCG / Fashola Reacts After His Appointment As Minister Of Works & Housing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by samsard(m): 12:51pm On Aug 25, 2023
asanausana91:
same thing will happen to pms. Dangote refinery will never reduced the price of fuel in this country.
With PMS crude is sold at international prices. The only price reduction will be slight because you essentially cut out freight cost. The FG and oil companies will not sell crude to Dangote or anyone at discounted prices.
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by fineboynl(m): 12:51pm On Aug 25, 2023
The reason dangote price is always high in this country is because of corruption. He is settling alot of politicians. Alot of them has stake and commissions every product he sells so he will just factor it into the pricing.

The same thing is playing out with fuel price.

The NNPC boss need to be replaced if at all fuel price will come down.

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by oluwaseyi0: 12:52pm On Aug 25, 2023
SmartPolician:
No infrastructure and policy to stimulate local production. That's why everyone is importing because it's cheaper to import than produce here.

If you beg them to sell below their cost price and they say no, you make them the enemy of the country. That's the political culture here.

Ideally, you shouldn't beg anyone. Instead, you go and fix those factors that make local production expensive in Nigeria. That's what leaders do.

How come dangote is selling cheaper in other African countries
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by Smithwilliams826: 12:52pm On Aug 25, 2023
“A lot of contractors have complained that it is cheaper to import, but we are not allowed to import cement because we have to help the cement industries, but they also have to be reasonable with us if we are going to be patronising them"
Why can't they help with agriculture in Nigeria?
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by AK481(m): 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2023
"" we are Engineers""-

i am grateful that a round peg is put in round hole .

make Engineer do Engineer work
make shoe maker do shoe maker work .
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by AgentGoat: 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2023
Revolution2022:
I learnt that dangote cement is below 3k in other african countries.Wetin we do dangote?

It took me a while to realise how bad that guy is.
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by Jonegonu: 12:55pm On Aug 25, 2023
Revolution2022:
I learnt that dangote cement is below 3k in other african countries.Wetin we do dangote?
tell your brothers diverting dangote diesel to stop diverting it. Because the diverting and stealing, is taking the operational cost high that is why the price is high here in nigeria
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by Jamersirwin1971: 12:55pm On Aug 25, 2023
Revolution2022:

That's a lie. In Ghana dangote cement is 8k

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by melonsgroup: 12:55pm On Aug 25, 2023
No be Dangote again?
Greedy mufo
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by Robnectar(m): 12:57pm On Aug 25, 2023
Rich4god:

Same dangote that was chased out of Ghana because his cement is very expensive.

He was chased out of Kenya too, because they gave him terms and conditions on price and how he is going to treat every citizens he will employe, baba gas pack up as he taught he is was in 9ja
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by flokii: 12:58pm On Aug 25, 2023
Smithwilliams826:
“A lot of contractors have complained that it is cheaper to import, but we are not allowed to import cement because we have to help the cement industries, but they also have to be reasonable with us if we are going to be patronising them"
Why can't they help with agriculture in Nigeria?

They will call it names like local patronage to promote local manufacturers.. when they eventually ban import of these items, people like Dangote will now increase their own prices and expect Nigerians to keep mute like he owns the country.

How I wish PBAT can break the monopoly in that Cement sector and allow importation of cement into the country. The only language Nigerian manufacturers understand is vawulence, greed won't allow them do the right thing.

Imagine a product made in Nigeria despite all the soft landing from FG for these manufacturers to cut cost, they still sell at unreasonable prices to make excessive gains.

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by omoadeleye(m): 12:59pm On Aug 25, 2023
Revolution2022:

He loves the attention of topping the world most black billionaire.
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by ChyjoskyJ: 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2023
Umahi Umahi Umahi how many times I call you . You won loose your job abi. e be like say you no no the owners of Nigeria.
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by JaneYave(f): 1:01pm On Aug 25, 2023
Busy body people everywhere 🙂 Why should we consider importation as an option with all the solid minerals we are blessed with? It is a shame to even suggest importation of cement. Now we know transportation affects everything, we will now understand why the poor masses cry!
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by MrTed(m): 1:01pm On Aug 25, 2023
Comparative price analysis of a 50kg bag of Dangote cement in 10 African countries, using the exchange rate of 900 Naira to a dollar:

Country / Price (Naira) /Price (Dollars)

Nigeria - N4,200 / $4.67
South Africa - N3,500 / $3.89
Zimbabwe - N3,400 / $3.78
Tanzania - N3,300 / $3.67
Zambia - N3,200 / $3.56
Sierra Leone - N3,100 / $3.44
Ethiopia - N3,000 / $3.33
Senegal | N2,900 / $3.22
Cameroon | N2,800 / $3.11
Ghana - N2,700 / $3.00
Congo - N2,500 / $2.78

As you can see, the price of Dangote cement in Nigeria is the highest in Africa. It is followed by South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Zambia, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Senegal, Cameroon, Ghana, and Congo.

There are a number of factors that may contribute to the difference in prices across countries. These include:

1. The cost of production, which may vary depending on the availability of raw materials and labor costs.
2. The level of import duties and taxes, which may be higher in some countries than others.
3. The strength of the local currency, which may make imports more expensive in some countries.
4. The level of competition in the local market, which may keep prices down in some countries.
5. The activities of cement cartels, which have artificially inflated the price of cement
6. The increasing cost of raw materials, such as limestone and coal.
7. The high cost of transportation and logistics
8. The government's policies, such as import duties and taxes, which have made it more expensive to import cement into the country

The high price of cement has made it difficult for many people in Nigeria to afford to build homes and other structures. This has had a negative impact on the construction industry and the economy as a whole.

I believe that the price of cement in Nigeria is too costly. The government should take steps to address the factors that have contributed to the rise in prices, such as by reducing import duties and taxes on cement. The government should also crack down on cement cartels and ensure that they are not artificially inflating prices.

In addition, the government should promote the use of alternative building materials, such as bricks and blocks,which are more affordable than cement. This will help to reduce the demand for cement and bring down prices

Written by Comrade Ibrahim Aliyu
Comradeibrahimaliyu@gmaildotcom
Abuja

Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by lexy2014: 1:01pm On Aug 25, 2023
oz4real83:
Any Nigerian that won't be as rich as Dangote, if given the same privileges that Dangote received over the years, that Nigerian can never be rich in this life or any other life shocked. Imagine where not more than 5 persons were given the licenses to either produce or import cement that the whole country is using while every other person or company is barred from producing or importing the same product, even if it was of higher quality and lower price embarassed

You don't need to cut people's head off because u want to be rich. That is greed.

Dangote will still be rich without selling cement at an exhorbitant rate

2 Likes

Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by Heffalump(m): 1:02pm On Aug 25, 2023
Revolution2022:

Blame your merchants and government policies on taxation.

Nigeria has the highest number of wicked people in the world.

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by lexy2014: 1:03pm On Aug 25, 2023
MrTed:
Comparative price analysis of a 50kg bag of Dangote cement in 10 African countries, using the exchange rate of 900 Naira to a dollar:

Country / Price (Naira) /Price (Dollars)

Nigeria - N4,200 / $4.67
South Africa - N3,500 / $3.89
Zimbabwe - N3,400 / $3.78
Tanzania - N3,300 / $3.67
Zambia - N3,200 / $3.56
Sierra Leone - N3,100 / $3.44
Ethiopia - N3,000 / $3.33
Senegal | N2,900 / $3.22
Cameroon | N2,800 / $3.11
Ghana - N2,700 / $3.00
Congo - N2,500 / $2.78

As you can see, the price of Dangote cement in Nigeria is the highest in Africa. It is followed by South Africa, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Zambia, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Senegal, Cameroon, Ghana, and Congo.

There are a number of factors that may contribute to the difference in prices across countries. These include:

1. The cost of production, which may vary depending on the availability of raw materials and labor costs.
2. The level of import duties and taxes, which may be higher in some countries than others.
3. The strength of the local currency, which may make imports more expensive in some countries.
4. The level of competition in the local market, which may keep prices down in some countries.
5. The activities of cement cartels, which have artificially inflated the price of cement
6. The increasing cost of raw materials, such as limestone and coal.
7. The high cost of transportation and logistics
8. The government's policies, such as import duties and taxes, which have made it more expensive to import cement into the country

The high price of cement has made it difficult for many people in Nigeria to afford to build homes and other structures. This has had a negative impact on the construction industry and the economy as a whole.

I believe that the price of cement in Nigeria is too costly. The government should take steps to address the factors that have contributed to the rise in prices, such as by reducing import duties and taxes on cement. The government should also crack down on cement cartels and ensure that they are not artificially inflating prices.

In addition, the government should [b]promote the use of alternative building materials, such as bricks and blocks,[/b]which are more affordable than cement. This will help to reduce the demand for cement and bring down prices

Written by Comrade Ibrahim Aliyu
Comradeibrahimaliyu@gmaildotcom
Abuja

This is very good information
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by lexy2014: 1:04pm On Aug 25, 2023
Heffalump:

Blame your merchants and government policies on taxation.

Nigeria has the highest number of wicked people in the world.

Did you carry out a research across the more than 180 countries in the world to have arrived at your conclusion?
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by Bluntemperor: 1:05pm On Aug 25, 2023
TemplarLandry:
cool

A good one from Mr Julius Berger-
God bless Nigeria!
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by lexy2014: 1:06pm On Aug 25, 2023
Sleekfingers:

Dangote is a businessman. And he is doing anything to stay afloat. As a businessman I will do the same.
As a matte of fact, as a businessman I am do everything to cripple my competitors.

Stay afloat in what way?

The guy practically controls the market. How is charging exhorbitantly staying afloat?
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by Okwyjesus(m): 1:08pm On Aug 25, 2023
AwokenVawulence:
This guy is good

I keep asking where Umahi got the money he used to build roads in Ebonyi.

Now am seeing the secret

1 Like

Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by Menclothing: 1:09pm On Aug 25, 2023
We have 5 cement company in Nigeria
Ibeto
Elephant
Larfarge
Unicem
Dangote

Why u all calling out dangote
When the rest even sell above Dangote

If the rest are cheaper then we all patronize the cheapest

Dangote is the cheapest In Nigeria
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by timiade446(m): 1:09pm On Aug 25, 2023
It’s lifetime access
fineboynl:
how many month sub or week?
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by blaise26abj(m): 1:13pm On Aug 25, 2023
I have always said it . Dangote is a monopolistic bastard . The prices of cement should be reasonable . But he lines the pockets of politicians who look the other way . BUA tried to break his monopoly but later joined forces with him . Their prices are almost the same now . They borrowed money for these things and Nigerians are made to pay way above fair prices so they can return the loans faster .
But I don’t blame them . The useless , greedy and myopic leaders with followers that don’t think beyond their stomach are to blame .

SAME thing is set to happen with the refinery . Nigerians really don’t grasp how anti-competition Dangote is .
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by Otasikwe(m): 1:14pm On Aug 25, 2023
To talk is very very easy but action is always be story for gods i wish David Umahi will help us do the needful
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by haffaze777(m): 1:15pm On Aug 25, 2023
olril17:

Gbogbo molebi mi O ni shakan rejee

I agreed
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by haffaze777(m): 1:16pm On Aug 25, 2023
Abufo:

My father is agbado from afara ukwu slum......razz people!!
Really?
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by blaise26abj(m): 1:17pm On Aug 25, 2023
Otasikwe:
To talk is very very easy but action is always be story for gods i wish David Umahi will help us do the needful

If I was the minister , with the help of the president, I will start lobbying for restoration of cement importation so that they can come to the negotiating table and be fair with Nigerians . Cement sells for 5,200 now . It is daylight robbery
Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by grandstar(m): 1:20pm On Aug 25, 2023
The problem really atarted from OBJ who waa sold the idea of banning cement imports in the belief that the country could be self sufficient in it. He never saw he was simply satisfying someone's greed.

Cement isn't the kind of product you bamn as it#s the price is very sensitive to transport cost. A lot of imported cement might become uncompetitive once transported far from the ports.

That's why cement plants are located close to limestone deposits.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minister Of Works, Umahi, Compares The Price Of Imported & Local Cement by commoditiesnig: 1:21pm On Aug 25, 2023
Good one engr Umahi. We trust you'll use your expertise to ensure exhortbitant cost of construction is cut down to barest minimum

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Eats Buns As She Empowers 1100 Youths And Women In Kwara / Tinubu: A.P.C Group Calls For Adoption Of Ezekiel Afunkoyo As Vice President / Mrs Osinbajo Drove Hubby To Polling Unit - Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.