Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Lawyers' Bench: Court Matters & Ors - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lawyers' Bench: Court Matters & Ors (14372 Views)

Four Reasons Why Lawyers Are Like Condoms / ICAN Registrations Exemptions Exam Fees And Other Matters Arising / When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyers' Bench: Court Matters & Ors by DisGuy: 12:10am On Jun 22, 2013
Onyeka, 29, who was a building contractor before his death, was riding on a motorcycle with another person when the police accosted them at the popular Nwagu junction in Agulu only for one of the policemen to fire at him on the chest following a minor argument over how much to part with.

Onyeka’s wife, Chinenye, who was four months pregnant when the husband was murdered and her mother in-law, Mrs. Florence Agupugo, caused a stir at the court premises by shedding tears and wailing, and it took the intervention of their relations who accompanied them to court to calm them down. They had gone to court to enforce the fundamental right of their husband and son.

Against their expectation, however, the presiding judge, Justice C.A. Emembolu, in dismissing the matter brought to court by Chinenye and her mother in- law, held that ‘the right to life dies when the owner dies.'

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/weeping-in-court-as-judge-dismisses-case-of-extra-judicial-murder/

1 Like

Re: Lawyers' Bench: Court Matters & Ors by viazi: 6:00pm On Jun 23, 2013
For free online legal advice on the go, connect with us on any of this Chat platform, YAHOO-hybridsolicitor@yahoo.com GMAIL-viaziconcepts@gmail.com. We are online to serve you 24 hours.
Re: Lawyers' Bench: Court Matters & Ors by AlphaSoul: 11:43am On May 15, 2021
uche13:
Here is another one

This one actually happened to a friend of mine though she is now a law guru. She was just recently called to bar and her wig was stll all shiny. You know what I mean wink. She was asked by her boss to appear in court and move a motion and she practiced hard all night and was determined to pull it through successfully the next day at court cool. This is what happened.

Judge: hmm new wig!(obviously seeing her new wig) you are welcome to the bar.
Lawyer: thank you my lord. I am… appearing for the…. My lord, we have a motion for… and we are ready to move subject to your lordships convenience.

Defendant’s counsel : my lord, though the Claimant has a motion, we have filed a P.O challenging the court’s jurisdiction.

Lawyer: (she obviously not understanding what that meant went on to say) My lord, I am ready to move my motion.

Judge: Ehn counsel! Are you sure you are still able to move your motion (The judge was saying this considering the fact that the defendant had filed a P.O which is to be taken before her motion but my friend not understanding and in view of the judge earlier calling her a new wig went on to say)
Lawyer: my lord, I can move this motion, I am capable, I have been called to the Nigerian bar as a Barrister and solicitor of the Supreme court blab la bla. cheesy

Judge: Registrar give her a date! grin
OMG! grin Interesting... Legal
snafus. grin
Re: Lawyers' Bench: Court Matters & Ors by AlphaSoul: 11:48am On May 15, 2021
uche13:
Hey Lawyers, let us meet in here and discuss the various funny experiences we encounter on a daily basis in court. Abeg let us leave all the wahala and stress associated with the profession and have a good laugh in here.
Let me start! wink

Some lawyers ehn! This week before a Lagos state high court judge sitting at the commercial division a lady lawyer stood up and the following discussion ensued.

Lawyer girl- most respectfully my lord, I am……appearing for the…my lord, this matter was adjourned for report of service but unfortunately we have been unable to serve the process (the judge interjects)
Judge- Counsel which process were u unable to serve?
Counsel-she frantically searches the file and stupidly says “My lord I am not fully familiar with the facts of the case” shocked.
Judge: “My ruling: suit adjourned till counsel is seized with the facts of the case” grin
What rubbish, how can a lawyer come to court to report service and say she is not seized with the facts of the case? Why then did u come to court? I wonder what she would go back to tell her boss in the office angry.

Actually I have witnessed this particular incident in court and when the judge asked for the process the counsel couldn’t serve she went ahead to say after searching her file that she seeks to rely on the court’s record. Imagine! undecided
Interesting legalese! grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Struggling #nairalife Of A Widow Who’s Raising Four Kids / 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness / Enugu Clean Team Project At Work For A Cleaner And Healthier Enugu State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.