Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,297 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead (31678 Views)

Chelsea Legend Terry's Monkey NFT Project Under Investigation By Blues / Chelsea Legend Terry Signs Aston Villa Contract Extension / Wrestling Legend,king Kong Bundy,61,confirms Dead By WWE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by naptu2: 2:49am On Aug 27, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYF16icn5ls

WWE Hall of Famer Terry Funk Dies at Age 79

ro wrestling legend Terry Funk has died at the age of 79.

Mick Foley, best known as Mankind in WWE, wrote on social media Funk's daughter, Brandee, informed him of her father's death.

WWE confirmed the news:

Funk spent more than 50 years in the wrestling industry starting in 1965 when he debuted in Western States Sports when it was owned by his father, Dory Funk. He would also spend time in Championship Wrestling from Florida and All Japan Pro Wrestling before his first run in WWE starting in 1985.

Terry and Dory Funk Jr., known as Hoss Funk in WWE, defeated Tito Santana and the Junkyard Dog at WrestleMania 2.

Funk would continue to bounce around with various promotions after leaving WWE in 1986. He had a high-profile feud with Ric Flair in WCW in 1989 that culminated with their iconic "I Quit" match at Clash of the Champions IX.

Terry Funk had an extended run in ECW during the mid-'90s that included a feud with Foley when he was working as Cactus Jack. He also had a run as ECW champion after defeating Sabu in a no-disqualification match at Holiday Hell in December 1993.

Funk went back to WWE in 1997 starting with an appearance in the Royal Rumble match. He rejoined the promotion on a full-time basis near the end of that year when he debuted as Chainsaw Charlie as part of a tag team with Cactus Jack.

The highlight of Funk's WWE run was when he and Foley defeated the New Age Outlaws to win the tag titles at WrestleMania 14.

After leaving WWE near the end of 1998, Funk would go on to have stints in various promotions including another brief run in WCW and NWA TNA. He occasionally made one-off appearances in WWE over the years, most recently at WrestleMania 32 when he spoke to Dean Ambrose prior to Ambrose's match with Brock Lesnar.

Funk won major titles in WWE, ECW, NWA and WCW. He was inducted into the WCW Hall of Fame in 1995, NWA Hall of Fame in 2009 and WWE Hall of Fame along with his brother Dory in 2009.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by naptu2: 2:49am On Aug 27, 2023
I remember Terry Funk from the NWA in the late 1970s and early 1980s, not from the WWE. This was incredibly bloody and it messed with my mind back then.

naptu2:
The top ten most memorable events in professional wrestling.

Number 2.

There were three professional wrestling promotions (from the US) that were shown on Nigerian TV in the late 1970s and early 1980s and they were:

The IWA, which featured The Mighty Igor and co and which was mainly about entertainment and humour.

The WWF, which was just straight wrestling

And the NWA, which was incredibly violent and bloody.

The American Dream, Dusty Rhodes was the most popular "face" (good guy) in the NWA and this was meant to be a title match between him and Harley Race. However, I'm not posting this because of that match.

Terry Funk invaded the ring after the match and violently attacked Dusty Rhodes. He broke Dusty Rhodes arm (and I felt as if it was my arm that was broken). Dusty recovered and was able to retaliate and put some hurt on Harley Race.

The guy interviewing Dusty Rhodes is the legendary Gordon Soli.

This match occurred on August 26, 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiAFc9PzufI?si=UGn0bPCrilkSeu_K

naptu2:
The top ten most memorable events in professional wrestling.

Number 3.

This match took place on September 4th, 1979 and it involved two of my favourite wrestlers in the NWA, Sweet Brown Sugar and Dusty Rhodes.

However, like in the previous clip, the match was not as important as what happened after it ended.

Rhodes and Sugar were partners against Jos Leduc and someone else and Dusty Rhodes secured the win, but once again Terry Funk came into the ring and attacked Dusty Rhodes with a belt. Now, we can hear Funk describing the action along with Gordon Soli and Funk said that he went into the ring to examine Dusty Rhodes' POP cast. This brings me to one of the myths that was in my head at that time.

Because of Dusty Rhodes and Ox Baker, I actually believed that a plaster of paris cast was super strong and that you could do very significant damage to someone by hitting the person with it.

Anyway, Dusty Rhodes was able to bounce back and he hit Terry Funk with the cast and Funk was bleeding from the forehead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnD1nMVdmJ4

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by cenaman(m): 3:58am On Aug 27, 2023
Agbado Ebola Tinubu, their white substance suplier will join him soon. If you know you know.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by ONEjoblessGUY: 5:15am On Aug 27, 2023
Y
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by TheSuperX(m): 6:32am On Aug 27, 2023
May his soul rest in peace 🕊️

2 Likes

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by wrongman665(m): 6:45am On Aug 27, 2023
First was iron sheik follow by bray wart, now terry funk. May his soul rest in peace.

5 Likes

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by wittywriter: 7:19am On Aug 27, 2023
wrongman665:
First was iron sheik follow by bray wart, now terry funk. May his soul rest in peace.

TheSuperX:
May his soul rest in peace 🕊️

naptu2:
I remember Terry Funk from the NWA in the late 1970s and early 1980s, not from the WWE. This was incredibly bloody and it messed with my mind back then.

RIP to the wrestling sport actor.

Wittyness

1 Like

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by finallybusy: 7:34am On Aug 27, 2023
The news is over three days old. Stale Nairaland.

13 Likes

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by NwekeUG(m): 7:34am On Aug 27, 2023
Legend
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by 1gbdata: 7:34am On Aug 27, 2023
RIP
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by money121(m): 7:34am On Aug 27, 2023
R.ip
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by paulam: 7:35am On Aug 27, 2023
cenaman:
Agbado Ebola Tinubu, their white substance suplier will join him soon. If you know you know.

Proverbs 24:17-18 (NIV): "Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice, or the Lord will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from them."
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by aQUINandmore: 7:37am On Aug 27, 2023
I don't know him.
kiss
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:39am On Aug 27, 2023
wrongman665:

The Iron Sheikh and Terry Funk were old, at least.

Bray no even touch 40.

Shit.

6 Likes

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:39am On Aug 27, 2023
aQUINandmore:
I don't know him.
kiss

You're not supposed to.

3 Likes

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by ecolime(m): 7:41am On Aug 27, 2023
cenaman:
This is a very foolish thing to say. You are wishing someone death because of Politics.

Are you God? Do you know when or how you will end your life journey?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by fasho01(m): 7:42am On Aug 27, 2023
Rest in peace legend
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by aQUINandmore: 7:42am On Aug 27, 2023
Jeezuzpick:

You're not supposed to.
ok kiddo, I've noticed you.
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by Kingpele(m): 7:43am On Aug 27, 2023
RIP big guy
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by MuMuOnBail: 7:43am On Aug 27, 2023
Na wa oooo

Na weytin de kill this Westling people sef?

Even Soldiers for Borno state fighting Boko Haram no de die like this.
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by Fredoh(m): 7:45am On Aug 27, 2023
naptu2:

Most of us were not born that time Sir‼️

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by CalabarPikin: 7:46am On Aug 27, 2023
This is an okay age to die....not that Bryan guy at 36.... painful

1 Like

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by Racoon(m): 7:46am On Aug 27, 2023
Rest on wrestler! I don't seems to know him much. Condolences to his family, friends and the wrestling world.
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by Robisky001(m): 7:48am On Aug 27, 2023
Death is the only inevitable thing every human will encounter irrespective of social status.
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by FuckTheMod: 7:58am On Aug 27, 2023
cry
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:00am On Aug 27, 2023
aQUINandmore:
ok kiddo, I've noticed you.

Kiddo?

From someone who doesn't know Terry Funk?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You have elders here, boy.

1 Like

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by Passionate888: 8:01am On Aug 27, 2023
R.I.P
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 27, 2023
Agba
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by Abatek: 8:06am On Aug 27, 2023
R.I.P
Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by armadeo(m): 8:07am On Aug 27, 2023
Naptu respect man.

My memory of mighty igor, Mill mascara , Argentina apollo, superfly snuka is fuzzy at best.

My wrestling memories are really from junkyard dog , British bulldogs, bret the hitman hart etc.

The mighty kamala ( the Ugandan giant).

Respect man.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Wrestling Legend, Terry Funk Is Dead by Chibuzoripob: 8:12am On Aug 27, 2023
sad SLEEP WELL

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Leon Balogun Signs For EPL Side Brighton / Chelsea Sold The Most Players In EPL With A Transfer Ban / Thomas Tuchel And Antonio Conte Charged By FA After Chelsea Vs Tottenham Clash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.