Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,210 members, 7,825,789 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Dennis Ritchie, Inventor Of C Programming Language, Dies At 70 - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Dennis Ritchie, Inventor Of C Programming Language, Dies At 70 (1594 Views)

Who Did More For Programming: Steve Jobs Or Dennis Ritchie? / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dennis Ritchie, Inventor Of C Programming Language, Dies At 70 by lekside44(m): 11:02am On Oct 15, 2011
The world has lost another computer pioneer. Dennis Ritchie, the computer scientist who invented the C programming language and co-developed the Unix operating system, has died at the age of 70. While working at Bell Labs in the 1960s and early '70s, Ritchie served as the principal designer of C and was the co-developer of the Unix operating system. C, renowned for its clear, simple language, would become a vital tool in website development, while Unix is the foundation for computer operating systems such as Apples iOS.The tools that Dennis built — and their direct descendants — run pretty much everything today
Re: Dennis Ritchie, Inventor Of C Programming Language, Dies At 70 by Maleeq(m): 12:55pm On Oct 15, 2011
Yeah, another iconic loss in the tech world.

I found an interesting piece to read, which really sums up a lot about the achievements of this man, with some perspective on Steve Job's eventual success, here

Some of his quotes I can relate to:
"C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success."
"UNIX is very simple, it just needs a genius to understand its simplicity."
Re: Dennis Ritchie, Inventor Of C Programming Language, Dies At 70 by lekside44(m): 6:30pm On Oct 15, 2011
his works makes computers to be free from been just a mainframe
Re: Dennis Ritchie, Inventor Of C Programming Language, Dies At 70 by bakenda(m): 12:37pm On Oct 18, 2011
Adieu to a true genius geek, folks like this don’t get as much hype.
C is the mother of modern programming languages, and the Internet
wouldn’t have been possible without the mother of network operating systems – UNIX.

I first came across his name in a book on C, years back while in college.
Re: Dennis Ritchie, Inventor Of C Programming Language, Dies At 70 by lekside44(m): 8:03pm On Oct 18, 2011
its a pity that the world did not celebrate this great man and his invention the way he deserved. his work is one of the most important in computing history. the so called java is a modernization of his work. even his death can not even make headline or main pagein our own dear nairaland. then what are we glorifying?
Re: Dennis Ritchie, Inventor Of C Programming Language, Dies At 70 by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 18, 2011
Re: Dennis Ritchie, Inventor Of C Programming Language, Dies At 70 by lekside44(m): 9:30am On Oct 19, 2011
omo_to_dun:

^

I feel you. But the world does not work that way; so many folks who deserve to be celebrated are not. I believe so many programmers do not even know who this great man was. I would rate the invention of C and Unix as the top most important milestone in computing history, even far important than that of the Internet.

thanks, in fact they are the fore runners of the internet and windows environment.

(1) (Reply)

Netbeans Study Guide / Application Of Sim Hosting | Sme Data | Vtu | Bulksms | Otp | Vote | Chat / Selling Amazon AWS $150 Promo Code.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.