Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,751 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports (32962 Views)

Lai Mohammed, Muhammad Nanono Visit Rice Mills In Kano (Photos) / Nigerian Govt Approves N10.7bn For Establishment Of 10 New Rice Mills / Nigeria Responsible For Collapse Of Rice Mills In Thailand - Audu Ogbeh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Abagworo(m): 12:14pm On Aug 31, 2023
Tofax:
So it is the raw rice from India they mill in Nigeria and brand it locally produced rice.
please someone needs to throw more light on this

Breeze don blow fowl yash open.

1 Like

Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by alizma: 12:14pm On Aug 31, 2023
lexy2014:

Are you involved in farming?
Indirectly yes
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by bot101(m): 12:16pm On Aug 31, 2023
MadamExcellency:
Why are Nigerian Youths not interested in farming.

Every of our AI and technology are all about money collection and transfers. Why are there no developments in farming and food technology? Nothing in medical sciences and Electricity generation.

We should concentrate less on singing and dancing to solving our existential problems.

I wanted to get 10 acres of cheap land I saw in Ogun State but guess what, I was warned not to buy the land as I wasn't a uoruba boy, and was told to go to my village. I cannot afford to get the land size I want in my village as land is considerably more expensive there. Make we continue.
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Onitola2: 12:18pm On Aug 31, 2023
MadamExcellency:

Every of our AI and technology are all about money collection and transfers. Why are there no developments in farming and food technology? Nothing in medical sciences and Electricity generation.

We should concentrate less on singing and dancing to solving our existential problems.
security
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Dougad: 12:19pm On Aug 31, 2023
The article doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

1 Like

Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by leokid866: 12:22pm On Aug 31, 2023
MrSinister:

You really don't have a point
my point is there is investment in the Agriculture sector......just because you and others face tech doesn't mean Agriculture is just left behind.....
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by oneMalik: 12:28pm On Aug 31, 2023
As far as I agree with your analysis , I will equally suggest you school them more on the great advantage of the ban.

to start with , how will a country highly blessed like Nigeria still wanna eat foreign food .

Rice cultivation alone can create more than 100million job .... I stand to be corrected thou .

so tell them , those who abandon their villages to reside In the cities while hawking on the street should have a rethink..... I left PH for Ogun state a year and 2months ago and the rest of the story is going to remain confidential .

Botragelad:

Alright, mate, let me explain what this news is saying in a simple way. It's about how India's ban on exporting some types of rice has affected Nigeria and other countries that depend on importing rice from India.

Basically, India decided to stop sending out non-basmati rice, which is a cheaper and more common kind of rice, to keep the prices low in their own country. This means that Nigeria and other West African countries can't get enough rice from India to meet their local demands. Nigeria has been trying to produce more rice locally, but it still needs to import some rice to make up for the gap.

Now, because of the shortage of rice from India, the local rice farmers and millers in Nigeria are also struggling. They can't get enough rice to process and sell, and they have to deal with other problems like border closure, sanctions, and bandits. This has caused many of them to shut down their businesses and lose their income.
As a result of all this, the price of rice in Nigeria has gone up a lot in the past few months.

Now, to answer your question about whether or not it is the raw rice from India they mill in Nigeria and brand locally produced rice, the answer is no. Nigeria imports mainly Indica white rice from India, which is already milled and polished. Nigeria also produces its own local rice, such as Ofada, Abakiliki, and Lake Rice, which are different from the Indian rice in terms of quality and nutrition. The local rice is milled by local millers who add value to the product and create employment. Nigeria does not import raw rice from India and repackage it as local rice. That would be considered dishonest and illegal. That's my little idea!
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by fuke(m): 12:29pm On Aug 31, 2023
All the monies approved for rice diverted.
Problem is us not the goernment.

Have you watched this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VDtCLEAaig
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by oneMalik: 12:29pm On Aug 31, 2023
your story is not complete

bot101:

I wanted to get 10 acres of cheap land I saw in Ogun State but guess what, I was warned not to buy the land as I wasn't a uoruba boy, and was told to go to my village. I cannot afford to get the land size I want in my village as land is considerably more expensive there. Make we continue.
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Bluntguy: 12:32pm On Aug 31, 2023
MT:

But when the buhari administration closed the border and was stimulating local.production, most Nigerians were screaming that borders should be open. Some even complained that local rice is not as sweet as imported rice.

To head a country is a tough choice.
And after closing borders and stimulating local production for three years by Buhari we are back to square one.

To head a country is a tough choice yet people who have no business heading a country are doing everything to head the country just for the sake of heading a country not for any meaningful impact on the masses of the country. Is that not an error?

1 Like

Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Love56743: 12:33pm On Aug 31, 2023
No wonder rice is vry affordable here in india a bag of rice here is 2200 rupees that's about 22k naira

1 Like

Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by slowice(m): 12:34pm On Aug 31, 2023
Despite all the noise Buhari made about agricultural improvement and the humongous amount spent on it.

I told urchiins that the problem is corruption, there's no policy the government will implement today that won't be riddled with corruption and thus lead to poor implementation and eventual failure of the policy.

This is because they assemble loyalists and party men in vital position, they see the position as the share of choppings, their own cut so how do you expect them to work for Nigeria.

No matter how good the policy it will still fail and we all know why.
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Bluntguy: 12:34pm On Aug 31, 2023
bonnyhope:

Do you have farm?

We keep throwing blames here and there and we all culprits
You are the culprit here not me. And yes I have farm.
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by AMI3(m): 12:35pm On Aug 31, 2023
MadamExcellency:

Even if they are interested start up capital can be the problem.

FG doesn't help. No credit facilities for intended farmers. How do they start?
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by mrvitalis(m): 12:39pm On Aug 31, 2023
Bluntguy:
Always depending on imported goods from foreign countries. Why won't the Naira continue it's free fall against the dollar and other foreign currencies?
If you go farm Rice you go die?
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Klington: 12:44pm On Aug 31, 2023
Simeonjoe1:
Lazy ass black people.
Nobody want to do the hard work. Make easy money and import the nice stuffs

What happens to backward integration, what happens to cultivating thousands of hecteres of farmlands all over Nigeria.
Or we are waiting for government to help us plant, or better still Dangote farm?

Let's see your own farm.

Keyboard warrior.
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by NOETHNICITY(m): 12:45pm On Aug 31, 2023
I read this report but it’s still not clear to me how Indian ban on rice export is resulting in mills shutting down in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Eriokanmi: 12:48pm On Aug 31, 2023
Bluntguy:
Always depending on imported goods from foreign countries. Why won't the Naira continue it's free fall against the dollar and other foreign currencies?
Corruption, bad government cum leadership and bad economic policies are the major reasons naira is falling in value, not imports. In most dellveloped economies, they also import. A large percentage of American commodities come from China and other countries .

Let me remind you of something. In the 70s, Nigeria was importing, in the 80s, Nigeria was importing, up till year 2014, we were still importing yet, our naira was strong. Bad economic policies and leadership destroyed the naira between 2015 and now so stop telling lies.

Buhari came and closed the borders, claiming to be promoting and encouraging the growing rice but without any plan in place for farmers nationwide to grow rice...no introduction of improved seeds or rice paddy, no loan to our farmers, no orientation on how to grow rice among our youths. He merely put a cart before a horse. What happened during that period,? Instead of Benin Republic to suffer this, their cefa remained even stronger and cefa had now overtaken naira in value. You may check that yourself. Today, naira is the worst performing currency in Africa. What is Benin Republic producing for export, which caused thehr currency to remain so stable over the years? can you tell?

Only in Nigeria will law makers be the highest paid in the world

Only in Nigeria would a leader be owning 3 private jets

Only in Nigeria will the accountant general steal over 100bn and still be walking freely. The equivalent amoint requested by the ASUU for improvement of our university education.

Only in Nigeria will a founder of terrorist organisation be in government, holding a key position.

Until we're able to deal with all these. Naira value will remain falling. India's rupee is a very strong one because they've been able to check all the vices highlighted over decades.

1 Like

Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Chetas81(m): 12:49pm On Aug 31, 2023
SICK CITIZEN REMAIN IN NIGERIA, YOU CAN IMAGINE THIS MENTALITY OF IMPORTATION, HOW YOUR CURRENCY CAN BE STRONG, WITH ALL THIS NONSENSE PRACTICE
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Moikiitos: 12:50pm On Aug 31, 2023
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Osoboshi: 12:51pm On Aug 31, 2023
Simeonjoe1:
Lazy ass black people.
Nobody want to do the hard work. Make easy money and import the nice stuffs

What happens to backward integration, what happens to cultivating thousands of hecteres of farmlands all over Nigeria.
Or we are waiting for government to help us plant, or better still Dangote farm?
Fulani and bandit are both happening
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by NOETHNICITY(m): 12:52pm On Aug 31, 2023
AMI3:

Even if they are interested start up capital can be the problem.

FG doesn't help. No credit facilities for intended farmers. How do they start?
FG has been help for many years. Just that Nigerians are criminals. They collect the money and never ever utilize it or pay back. I still remember during GEJ administration, several people I know collected. Also, during the early part of Buhari’s administration I know of several people who also benefited.
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by updatechange(m): 12:57pm On Aug 31, 2023
Bluntguy:

Out reliance on imported goods is worrisome that even one presidential candidate is one of the highest importer of goods in Nigeria…. Really pathetic
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by williemichael(m): 1:05pm On Aug 31, 2023
As a government, when you say that you have ordered for food production, and as well have distributed grains to farmers. what do you mean by that when there's no security, no plan to reduce flood effect on the farm lands etc. please stop decieving us again because we are not fools anymore.
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by bigtt76(f): 1:11pm On Aug 31, 2023
So why would the local millers decide to shutdown at a time when they should be angling to make a kill on the patronage they will be getting? I'm confused.

Botragelad:

Alright, mate, let me explain what this news is saying in a simple way. It's about how India's ban on exporting some types of rice has affected Nigeria and other countries that depend on importing rice from India.

Basically, India decided to stop sending out non-basmati rice, which is a cheaper and more common kind of rice, to keep the prices low in their own country. This means that Nigeria and other West African countries can't get enough rice from India to meet their local demands. Nigeria has been trying to produce more rice locally, but it still needs to import some rice to make up for the gap.

Now, because of the shortage of rice from India, the local rice farmers and millers in Nigeria are also struggling. They can't get enough rice to process and sell, and they have to deal with other problems like border closure, sanctions, and bandits. This has caused many of them to shut down their businesses and lose their income.
As a result of all this, the price of rice in Nigeria has gone up a lot in the past few months.

Now, to answer your question about whether or not it is the raw rice from India they mill in Nigeria and brand locally produced rice, the answer is no. Nigeria imports mainly Indica white rice from India, which is already milled and polished. Nigeria also produces its own local rice, such as Ofada, Abakiliki, and Lake Rice, which are different from the Indian rice in terms of quality and nutrition. The local rice is milled by local millers who add value to the product and create employment. Nigeria does not import raw rice from India and repackage it as local rice. That would be considered dishonest and illegal. That's my little idea!
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Porksupplyib: 1:11pm On Aug 31, 2023
Botragelad:

So if we don't mill imported rice from India, what now concerns our Millers with India stoppage of exportation?

You are still deceiving yourself sir
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by lexy2014: 1:12pm On Aug 31, 2023
alizma:

Indirectly yes

Which one is "indirectly yes"?
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Faposky95: 1:15pm On Aug 31, 2023
MadamExcellency:

Agriculture - what it really is.!!!!!!!

Make it transparent and more modern.
Self realization to feeding can be encouraged
Land must be seen as opportunity to feed, not land grabbing to build incompetent structures.
Public enlightenment must follow with loans that are realistic.
School systems must encourage young agriculturists and government departments must walk the talk
Big ups to Kano NNPP for the stride in Education.
Arable states must start to wake up fast.
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by alizma: 1:22pm On Aug 31, 2023
lexy2014:

Which one is "indirectly yes"?
Figure it out.
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by MrSinister(m): 1:24pm On Aug 31, 2023
leokid866:
my point is there is investment in the Agriculture sector......just because you and others face tech doesn't mean Agriculture is just left behind.....

What if I told you I invested in watermelon farming and it ended because of Nigeria?
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by lexy2014: 1:24pm On Aug 31, 2023
alizma:

Figure it out.

Did you figure it out before you said it?
Re: Rice Mills In Nigeria Closedown After India’s Ban On Rice Exports by Bluntguy: 1:30pm On Aug 31, 2023
Eriokanmi:
Corruption, bad government cum leadership and bad economic policies are the major reasons naira is falling in value, not imports. In most dellveloped economies, they also import. A large percentage of American commodities come from China and other countries .

Let me remind you of something. In the 70s, Nigeria was importing, in the 80s, Nigeria was importing, up till year 2014, we were still importing yet, our naira was strong. Bad economic policies and leadership destroyed the naira between 2015 and now so stop telling lies.

Buhari came and closed the borders, claiming to be promoting and encouraging the growing rice but without any plan in place for farmers nationwide to grow rice...no introduction of improved seeds or rice paddy, no loan to our farmers, no orientation on how to grow rice among our youths. He merely put a cart before a horse. What happened during that period,? Instead of Benin Republic to suffer this, their cefa remained even stronger and cefa had now overtaken naira in value. You may check that yourself. Today, naira is the worst performing currency in Africa. What is Benin Republic producing for export, which caused thehr currency to remain so stable over the years? can you tell?

Only in Nigeria will law makers be the highest paid in the world

Only in Nigeria would a leader be owning 3 private jets

Only in Nigeria will the accountant general steal over 100bn and still be walking freely. The equivalent amoint requested by the ASUU for improvement of our university education.

Only in Nigeria will a founder of terrorist organisation be in government, holding a key position.

Until we're able to deal with all these. Naira value will remain falling. India's rupee is a very strong one because they've been able to check all the vices highlighted over decades.
You seem to forget that even if America and the other countries import, their export value is much more than what they import unlike our Nigeria that imports almost everything, while crude oil which is the only tangible thing that we export is reimported back to us as refined fuel. What can negatively affect the value of a country's currency more than that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

One Of My Snail Is White See Pics / Nigeria To Begin Exporting Rice From Kebbi State(photos) / Maize Shelling Machines, and other Threshers with Food processing Machines..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.