Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,207 members, 7,811,563 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners (17964 Views)

Sanwo-olu Inspects Ijora, Obalende Under-bridges, Orders Illegal Occupants Out / Ibadan Explosion: Foreign Illegal Miners Ran Out Of The House Before Explosion — / National Youth Conference: The Time To Come To The Table Is Now - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Morbeta11(m): 12:30pm On Sep 01, 2023
Vacate site now, FG orders illegal miners

….graduates 30 trainees on gemstone, jewelry production

….solid minerals to become Nigeria’s ‘crude oil’ – Alake

….says no more exporting of raw solid minerals

…as MinDiver assures of supporting value addition

THE Federal Government, Thursday, fumed and ordered all illegal miners across the country to immediately vacate sites or will be seriously dealt with.

The stern warning was given by the Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake, during the graduation ceremony and presentation of starter-packs to 30 graduating trainees under Batch 3 of the Ministry’s Programme on ‘Gemstone and Jewellery Master Training and Empowerment’ under the Mineral Support for Economic Diversification, MinDiver, a World Bank assisted project.

Alake said the skill acquisition programme is part of the ‘Renewed Hope’agenda of President Bola Tinubu, which Tinubu during his presidential campaign promised to create jobs massively for the youth, and this graduation is a fulfilment to it.

He also commended MinDiver for the efforts made so far to add value to the lives of Nigerians via the intensive training which was done by dedicated, experienced and committed experts for the days and weeks spent to transfer the knowledge and skills into young Nigerians who also will in turn train other Nigerians and create jobs for them in all the 774 Local Government Areas of the 36 States and the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, in order to contribute their quota to the growth and development of the economy.

He also acknowledged that the programme had earlier produced 40 Master Jewellers who were trained between 2021 and 2022, and today (Thursday) additional 30 jewellers are graduating.

He said the pioneer set of 70 Master Jewellers will be a faculty that would train would-be jewellers in the 774 local governments of Nigeria.

However, the Minister called on state governments to partner with the Ministry by sponsoring at least 10 youths per local government for training to acquire this highly profitable skills.

he also assured them that the faculty will be mobilised to any state that is ready to empower their youths to impart their technical knowledge and demonstrate the procedures for using solid minerals to embelish the beauty of our people.

He said: “Looking at the result of this seemingly small but extremely significant gesture of graduating students that have gone through the crucibles of learning the art of skill acquisition.

“It give rebuilds hope for our country Nigeria. I commend your efforts, initiatives, focus, and sense of responsibility. You have gone through the process of skill acquisition in this very critical sector.

“Nigeria with its large population has appetite for jewelry and it is imperative to create a local jewelry industry to meet substantially local demands, for quality jewelry products, to increase import substitution, create jobs and boost the export value of Nigeria’s gemstones and jewellery.

“Nigeria is abundantly blessed with variety of mineral resources, among the minerals identified are varieties of precious and semi-precious stones. Some of the most popular Nigeria gemstones include the more limited to sapphire, aquamarine, beryl, emerald, tourmaline, ruby, garnet, amethyst , and zircon, which are located across the length and breadth of Nigeria and are used during to adorn designs but are sadly illegal exported.

“Now let me use this opportunity to send a very stern and strong warning to the entire nation that with Mr President there is a new sheriff in town and illegal mining would be curbed.

“Illegal exportation of our gemstones, critical minerals would no longer be tolerated by this administration.

“My Ministry is currently putting in place strategies, tactics and logistics, and we are working very assiduously and closely with the security agencies with the view of designing a very solid and enduring formula for combating illegal mining and illegal exportation of all our critical minerals in this country. In due course the details would be unfolded to the public. But I am just using this opportunity to send a strong warning to those currently engaged in illegal mining in Nigeria that henceforth it would be no longer be business as usual.

“We must harness all our critical resources for the benefits of our nation. Today, it is a known fact all over the world that hydrocarbons are on the downward trend in the global international trade meaning all that are contingent to our development, GDP substantially is no longer what it used to beans is on the decline.

So what do we do? We have to shift attention to non-oil exports, and believe me, Nigeria is sitting on one of the most enormous amount of mineral resources in the world. There is virtually there is no state that does not have one mineral resources or the other that is sought after in the global international market.

He also lamented that Nigerians have neglected these resources that would have tremendously transformed the economy for oil.

“Necessarily and compulsorily attention is now focused on the non-oi exports, particularly, solid minerals and that is why the Ministry is now the focal point of generating substantial revenue and making contribution to the GDP of our country.”

He further stated, “In fact, I say with all emphasis, I say with all sense of responsibility that solid Minerals is the next petroleum in Nigeria and that underscores the significance of today’s occasion.

He added that, “We are not going to be exporting, exploring, excavating and carting away our solid minerals abroad.

“We are going to be adding local value and we are going to attract foreign investors into this industry and sector.

“However, one of the salient conditions is going to be that the foreign investors will not just come and excavate our resources and minerals away, they must also do backward integration in terms of establishing the industries and factories that would add local value to our natural resources before been taken out and that would create more jobs, resources and revenue that is our main objectives of this Ministry moving ahead.”

He also pointed out that, “The value of gemstones increases when it is cut and polished, however, majority of gemstones are being exported without any value addition since the technical know-how and machinery required in cutting, polishing and finishing jewelry are generally lacking in the country.

To bridge these gaps it became necessary to build capacity in jewelry making and design and that capacity would be extended to other mineral resources like gold, lithium and all other critical mineral resources that we have in abundance in our nation.”

Meanwhile, the Minister acknowledged the supportive role played by the MinDiver Project in galvanizing the sector, “Accordingly, the Ministry through a roadmap for the development of Nigeria’s mineral resources and the MinDiver Project has been supportive in its implementation as part of its efforts and facilitating downstream development aimed at enhancing value addition to mineral products.

“This Master training on jewelry and design is one of such initiatives. With the intensive jewelry making Programme and the startup kits you are receiving today, you have all it takes to make the sector proud, become job creators, facilitate small and medium scale enterprises on the jewelry industry value chain.

He also counseled the graduands, “As beneficiaries of this initiative, I enjoin you to form the new multitude of jewellers who will create spectacular products with great aesthetics of commercial value of the mineral resources available in Nigeria for jewelry making. Let me congratulate all of you for successfully completing this Master training.

“I urge you on behalf of the President and all Nigerians to work very hard to achieve the aims and objectives of this Programme as the industry is versatile and has a great future for Nigeria.”

He also expressed optimism that with the jewelry industry there will be significant growth of the economy by creating massive job opportunities along its value chain, increase standard of living, unlock creativity, and provide opportunity for import substitution.

He maintained that Nigeria has no business of importing jewelries based on the products of the graduands, and can be exported, which also can compete globally.

He added that the Tinubu-led administration is going to change the trajectory of the industry therefore making it a major foreign exchange revenue earner and significantly contribute to the GDP.

He said all illegal mining activities must stop, and called for every Nigerian to support what government is doing to change the narrative.

Earlier, in an address of welcome, the Project Coordinator, MinDiver, Engr Sallim Salaam, said value addition has been a critical aspect of solid minerals sector.

Salaam said with the support of the World Bank through the MinDiver Project graciously approved additional 30 trainees which are the graduands passing out of the intensive training on gemstone jewelry production apart from the initiative 41 that was trained which were drawn from all the States in the country.

He said the 30 graduands are to be awarded their certificates upon completion of their training including their starter packs, wherefore they will proceed to train more people with support by their State Governments so that there will be a multiplier effect.

“Nowadays, certificate alone cannot help in this country. What we are doing in the Ministry with the support of the management of the Ministry is to make sure that we spread the gospel of value addition in all aspects of mining endeavour”, he said.

He also commended the Minister and Permanent Secretary for their support and believing in the project, and added that the consultants have done enormously.

He also urged graduands not to ‘Japa’ after acquiring this knowledge and skills.

Also, in a goodwill message, the President, Women In Mining, Nigeria, WIMN, Hon Janet Adeyemi, commended the impact of the training on gemstones jewelry production, especially women inclusion, and the support of the Ministry.

The Class Rep of Batch 3 trainees, Emmanuel Emeka, on behalf of his colleagues appreciated the Ministry for initiating the programme as it has paved way for them to be trained with world class skills.

Emeka also commended the World Bank through the MinDiver Project for sponsorship of the programme, which has equipped them ahead in the industry, and promised to sustain the skills acquired and assured that they will use the opportunity optimally.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/08/vacate-site-now-fg-orders-illegal-miners/amp/

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Smithkafors(m): 12:36pm On Sep 01, 2023
Lol….am yet to see any clear road map. The same governors in APC and PDD has regrouped to carry on.

Some people are expecting something to happen. The same group that supported Buhari here in nairaland has also regroup to waste another years.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by ChatterHouse: 12:38pm On Sep 01, 2023
cool
Illegal miners are a menace to the society

But if its legal no one reap the benefits if not the rich

The masses will suffer

These is how NBS measures employment in Nigeria

Illegal miners are employed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by helinues: 12:48pm On Sep 01, 2023
Good.

Collect the right license if you want to mine ordinary rock in Nigeria

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by olatade(m): 12:59pm On Sep 01, 2023
I have it on good authority that Gold is fuelling the killings and won't stop anytime soon.

The FG is perfectly inline with this directive.

5 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Jamieb(m): 1:06pm On Sep 01, 2023
hmmm. They really need to vacate that site. The FG can't be looking the other ways while the North mine resources illegally but keep destroying illegal refinery in the South . Enough is enough .

Guys please subscribe to my YouTube channel . Thank you

10 Most Enslaved African Tribes During the Atlantic Slave Trade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=090vE7m6Kes?si=7N95cGCDWNPr9vsW

2 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Sermwell(m): 5:36pm On Sep 01, 2023
Ebola is obviously talking to those in the south, and not his slave masters up north!! He dares not!!

Click like if you agree 👍

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Creamypie(m): 5:37pm On Sep 01, 2023
Ok. Let the fight start

1 Like

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by illicit(m): 5:38pm On Sep 01, 2023
Oya vacate right now
Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by flokii: 5:38pm On Sep 01, 2023
The President and C-in-C of the Armed forces should issue an executive order banning illegal mining activities in Nigeria.. anybody wey dem catch na sara.

1 Like

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Yankiss(m): 5:38pm On Sep 01, 2023
Does mining contribute to national economy or is it just crude oil? That mining should be a federal concern. It would still be illegal for any state government to so exploit it. The federal govt should class governors meddling with mining as illegal miners with effective deterrents in place.

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by oyeb15: 5:38pm On Sep 01, 2023
Rat is not fighting who is killing it but is biting he who hold it's tail.
Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by datola: 5:39pm On Sep 01, 2023
Hope this is not the usual initial gra gra and for Alake to cash out

5 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by festacman(m): 5:39pm On Sep 01, 2023
If there is a minister that needs serious prayer, it is Dele Alake. This because the people involved in this illegal mining are politicians, royal fathers, top security personnel, Chinese interests and top people in the Ministry of Solid minerals. These people are capable of doing anything to keep the illegal mining going. I even heard there is illegal mining going in Kogi State by a well known billionaire and this has continued in spite fight by Kogi Governor. Therefore, if Dele Alake carry his usual coconut head enter this fight, it might consume him.

Well, I am writing this believing that Dele Alake is SINCERE in his imminent fights against illegal miners.

19 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by cjudy(m): 5:39pm On Sep 01, 2023
grin

Talkative FG

We already know is empty threat.

When you people are serious, we will know.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Offpoint1: 5:39pm On Sep 01, 2023
grin
Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by enemyofprogress: 5:40pm On Sep 01, 2023
We are not leaving. We dey there come and cash us.

Ajepako how far? Are you still coming tonight?

2 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Kestolove(m): 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2023
Empty treat, na today

2 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Cantonese: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2023
How?

Can the devil cast out the devil? No be the same politicians dey control the mines?

2 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Femmyfamous4u(m): 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2023
No arrest?

1 Like

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Omenapounds: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2023
vacate site when the governors of those states are the ones sponsoring them ??

Drops Mic💥

4 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by cyprus000: 5:42pm On Sep 01, 2023
Freshtruth:
I swear to God am not lying I just got a job yesterday which am happy at is a salary work the issue am having is I done have anything to hold onto till Oct ending when they will pay me my salary pls I beg anybody with d name of God to help me with anything pls am starving like this.
4317 GTbank
God will punish you for using your childish scam to turn people heart against those who genuinely need help.

Changing story line will not aide your scam, dunce.

5 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by aestake: 5:42pm On Sep 01, 2023
Freshtruth:
I swear to God am not lying I just got a job yesterday which am happy at is a salary work the issue am having is I done have anything to hold onto till Oct ending when they will pay me my salary pls I beg anybody with d name of God to help me with anything pls am starving like this.
4317 GTbank
hold onto Ebola nao

4 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Didi2d(m): 5:44pm On Sep 01, 2023
This news sweet my belle.
Hausa people don chop gold and diamond money taya. That one don do

3 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by lexy2014: 5:44pm On Sep 01, 2023
flokii:
The President and C-in-C of the Armed forces should issue an executive order banning illegal mining activities in Nigeria.. anybody wey dem catch na sara.

If the mining is illegal, why then is executive order needed to ban it?

Which executive order is used to stop "illegal refineries?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Growing(m): 5:45pm On Sep 01, 2023
It will be nice to have a clear road map.

Stopping illegal mining is a step in the right direction though.

1 Like

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by seunlayi(m): 5:45pm On Sep 01, 2023
Arrest nko

4 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by lexy2014: 5:45pm On Sep 01, 2023
Didi2d:
This news sweet my belle.
Hausa people don chop gold and diamond money taya. That one don do

So you think they will obey the order?

2 Likes

Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Lanre4uonly(m): 5:46pm On Sep 01, 2023
Good development.
Re: Vacate Site Now, FG Orders Illegal Miners by Didi2d(m): 5:46pm On Sep 01, 2023
Cantonese:
How?

Can the devil cast out the devil? No be the same politicians dey control the mines?

I understand you. But please let's try and change this mentality

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wamakko To Service Chiefs, IGP: Resign Now For Dereliction Of Duties / 'the Attempt To Wipe Out The Igbo Race By Buhari Shall Fail' - Femi Fani-kayode / 2023 Presidency: Lawan To Pick Nomination Forms, Declare This Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.