Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,981 members, 7,810,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers (16737 Views)

NIN-Bank Linkage: 85.51 Million Bank Customers Risk Account Suspension / ASSBIFI Vow To Shut Down Operations Over Attacks On Bank Workers / CBN Unveils Regulation On Bills Payments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by BrandSpurNG: 3:58pm On Sep 01, 2023
The National Commissioner of the Nigeria Data Protection Commission (NDPC), Dr. Vincent Olatunji, has announced that the commission and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) have formed a joint committee to review the regulation that requires financial institutions to collect social media handles and other data from customers.

This disclosure was made during a two-day sensitization workshop on Data Privacy and Protection in Abuja.

BrandSpur Nigeria recalls that in June, the CBN had issued a regulation mandating financial institutions to gather a range of customer information including social media handles, email addresses, telephone numbers, and residential addresses.

This move was aimed at enhancing the identification process within the banking system and was documented in the ‘Central Bank of Nigeria (Customer Due Diligence) Regulations, 2023’.

The NDPC had expressed opposition to this regulation, considering it unnecessary. Dr. Olatunji revealed that the NDPC engaged in discussions with the CBN over the matter, leading to the establishment of a joint committee to find a resolution.

As a result of these discussions, the CBN reportedly agreed with the NDPC’s perspective that the collection of social media handles was not necessary.

Dr. Olatunji further mentioned that the NDPC is focused on raising awareness about the Nigeria Data Protection Act and providing training to Data Protection Officers (DPOs) and individuals.

He noted that the country lacks an adequate number of certified DPOs, estimating that more than 500,000 DPOs are needed due to the shortage of this skillset.

During the same event, Dr. Bosun Tijani, the Minister of Communications, Innovation, and Digital Economy, emphasized the government’s commitment to safeguarding digital platforms to build citizens’ confidence while online.

He stressed that data privacy is a fundamental human right and stated that the government is working on regulatory structures to protect data privacy and support the nation’s journey toward digitalization.

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2023/09/01/cbn-fg-agency-set-to-review-new-regulation-on-bank-customers/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by midehi2(f): 4:01pm On Sep 01, 2023
And social media handle cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by ojun50(m): 4:16pm On Sep 01, 2023
At the end una go still you style pack money chop, use this opportunity open plenty back account. Make una continue to dey play

8 Likes

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by Akaegwu(m): 4:29pm On Sep 01, 2023
Ndị ara Tinubu government

10 Likes

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by phayvoursky(m): 5:34pm On Sep 01, 2023
No African government have the people at heart.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by Ofunaofu: 5:34pm On Sep 01, 2023
angry
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by 900warriorz: 5:35pm On Sep 01, 2023
Watch how many girls will avoid this post grin

If it's not relationship, them no sabi anything

P.S For those of you that'd mention me, Na English I write up there o tongue

6 Likes

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by Coldie(m): 5:35pm On Sep 01, 2023
What is the relationship between the 2?

Though Sha we know it won't work, it's just a waste of time.
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by datola: 5:35pm On Sep 01, 2023
We heard you!
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by Creamypie(m): 5:36pm On Sep 01, 2023
Instead of em to look into pilfering of accounts of customers

1 Like

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by concacid: 5:36pm On Sep 01, 2023
Way to go.
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 01, 2023
Can’t work
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by stjudas(m): 5:38pm On Sep 01, 2023
What if I say I don't have social accounts?

3 Likes

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by lexy2014: 5:39pm On Sep 01, 2023
These people keep coming up stupid ideas. What is the essence of the BVN and NIN they have done? This will bring another round of inconvenience

12 Likes

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by bassdow: 5:40pm On Sep 01, 2023
fg
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by bassdow: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2023
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by bassdow: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2023
[quote author=bassdow post=125511754][/quote]
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by BoldBrainz(m): 5:42pm On Sep 01, 2023
Whether una review or una no review, most Nigerians were not even going to give you their social media handles to start with.

If it had been made a mandatory prerequisite to owning and operating a bank account, we would have used our small monies to buy digital coins or withdrawn and saved them in "saving box" in our wardrobes.

Una no fit kill us for this country, you bastard old men! Una go first die and we go bury una! Person like me no go even type "RIP" for una obituaries.

Nonsense!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by bassdow: 5:42pm On Sep 01, 2023
BrandSpurNG:

SOURCE:https://brandspurng.com/2023/09/01/cbn-fg-agency-set-to-review-new-regulation-on-bank-customers/
For those of US that only have WhatsApp, and/or teleGram, I say goodLuck to them
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by AngelicBeing: 5:43pm On Sep 01, 2023
lexy2014:
These people keep coming up stupid ideas. What is the essence of the BVN and NIN they have done? This will bring another round of inconvenience
You have started again with your analysis, can you prove that this policy will bring another round of inconveniences to the populace? shocked
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by Lanre4uonly(m): 5:43pm On Sep 01, 2023
Okay.
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by bassdow: 5:44pm On Sep 01, 2023
BoldBrainz:
Whether una review or una no review, most Nigerians were not even going to give you their social media handles to start with.

If it had been made a mandatory prerequisite to owning and operating a bank account, we would have used our small monies to buy digital coins or withdrawn and saved them in "saving box" in our wardrobes.

Una no fit kill us for this country, you bastard old men! Una go first die and we go bury una! Person like me no go even type "RIP" for una obituaries.

Nonsense!
even some (don't want to say MOST) civil Servants, don't give government their Age, let alone we social media users with funny contents.

Somebody would just be having official and footBalL social Handles up and Down.
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by Zooposki(f): 5:45pm On Sep 01, 2023
They should make all Bank accounts with BVN Tier 3 accounts. What is the essence of providing both BVN and NIN on same bank account when our BVN is tied to our NIN? NIN should be used for other stuff like getting your passports, drivers license etc.
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by NairaMaster1(m): 5:47pm On Sep 01, 2023
stjudas:
What if I say I don't have social accounts?

That's how dull they are. My father doesn't even have phone not to talk of X or fb

3 Likes

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by Growing(m): 5:47pm On Sep 01, 2023
How could anyone require us to submit our social media handles to financial institutions? For what?

3 Likes

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by lexy2014: 5:47pm On Sep 01, 2023
AngelicBeing:
You have started again with your analysis, can you prove that this policy will bring another round of inconveniences to the populace? shocked

These people keep coming up stupid ideas.

What is the essence of the BVN and NIN they have done?

This will bring another round of inconvenience

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by modernWays: 5:48pm On Sep 01, 2023
Lolz, these days that Opay and Co has cut off majority of traditional banks customers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by Sandralight(f): 5:51pm On Sep 01, 2023
900warriorz:
Watch how many girls will avoid this post grin

If it's not relationship, them no sabi anything

P.S For those of you that'd mention me, Na English I write up there o tongue
We are in the 21th century and there are still people like you who think girls are dumb.
Try to grow up

1 Like

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by AngelicBeing: 5:53pm On Sep 01, 2023
lexy2014:

These people keep coming up stupid ideas.

What is the essence of the BVN and NIN they have done?

This will bring another round of inconvenience
l, kind of agree with you, Nigeria seems to be a unique country were what works perfectly in other countries fails woefully to work in Nigeria sad

1 Like

Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by 900warriorz: 5:59pm On Sep 01, 2023
Sandralight:

We are in the 21th century and there are still people like you who think girls are dumb.
Try to grow up
First, I said many ladies and if you saw my comment well, you'd understand I wrote in plain English.

Take it or leave it, many ladies know nothing asides relationship related contents.
Re: CBN, FG Agency Set To Review New Regulation On Bank Customers by Flier: 6:02pm On Sep 01, 2023
Where is their common sense ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Produce Soaps And Detergent / CBN Says It Is Not Trying To “Unify Exchange Rates“ / Italian Arraigned For Defrauding Zenith Bank Of N717m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.