Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test (31336 Views)

Brazil Adopts Yoruba As An Official Foreign Language / Brazil adopts Yoruba as official language - Lekkigists / Brazil Now Adopts Yoruba As Official Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by LegendHero(m): 9:04pm On Sep 01, 2023
Maryland's learner's permit knowledge test, and its study materials, will soon be offered in nine more languages, bringing the total for each to 17 languages.

Getting a learner's permit is the first step to getting a driver's license in the state.

The Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration said it is expanding accessibility services as part of Gov. Wes Moore's focus on equity and access.

Here are the new languages offered:

—Yoruba (West Africa)
—Tagalog
—Amharic (Afro-Asiatic language)
—Arabic
—Russian
—Urdu
—Hindi
—Farsi
—Portuguese
—American Sign Language

The new language offerings were determined with U.S. Census data.

"Improving accessibility for the driver's knowledge test and study materials is critical to serve Maryland's linguistically diverse population," said Motor Vehicle Administrator Chrissy Nizer.

The current languages offered include English, Spanish, French, Nepali, Korean, traditional Chinese and Vietnamese.

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/baltimore/news/maryland-learners-permit-test-to-be-offered-in-9-new-languages/

133 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by LegendHero(m): 9:04pm On Sep 01, 2023
Fact:
—The USA state of Maryland added 9 new languages

—Yoruba language is the only West African Language in the list

—Reason why Yoruba was selected was because according to US census bureau data, Yoruba had the highest number of West African tribe in USA.

—This validate the thread that was created on Nairaland last year by “Scholes0” about Yoruba being the largest Nigerian tribe in the USA based on data from US census bureau.

349 Likes 44 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by LegendHero(m): 9:04pm On Sep 01, 2023
I remember the below thread where some people opined that Yoruba are not the largest Nigeria tribe in the USA. On this thread, we reiterated time and time and time that Yorubas are by far the largest group of Nigerians in USA, UK, and Canada based on available data from the government of those countries.

This new decision by the state of Maryland validate this fact.

https://www.nairaland.com/6846026/check-out-largest-west-african

scholes0:
Of the various African languages spoken in U.S Households, only a handful were statistically significant enough to obtain discrete codes and statistical representation.codification. Out of the West African languages represented, some such as Yoruba, Igbo and Wolof are stand alone languages, while others such as Edoid, Gbe and Manding languages are linguistic groupings of similar languages. The following are the 10 largest West African languages spoken in America. The big 3 are:

Yoruba - 149,358

Akan Languages
(Incl. Twi) - 141,583

Igbo - 94,788

The other 7 represented languages are:

Manding Languages - 30,381
Wolof - 26,255
Fulah - 18,563
Kabuverdianu - 18,451
Gbe Languages - 17,212
Edoid Languages - 16,699
Ga - 10,542

Source: https://data.census.gov/mdat/#/search?ds=ACSPUMS1Y2019&rv=LANP&wt=PWGTP

111 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by TemplarLandry: 9:04pm On Sep 01, 2023
Yoruba is the trademark language of the whole African race.
Yoruba is widely exported to other continents through our arts: music and movies.

Take a look at Asake who sings in Yoruba.

Another massively trending movie titled “Jagun Jagun” is a testament to this.

God is great!

I dedicate “Buga” by Kizz Daniel to Omoluabis. Great jam!

320 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by taylor89(m): 9:04pm On Sep 01, 2023
Yoruba Ronu

What a great achievement

Na skull export remain

56 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by Racoon(m): 9:10pm On Sep 01, 2023
Congratulations SW! Our culture! Our Identity!

193 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by aQUINandmore: 9:12pm On Sep 01, 2023
Yoruba is a universal language.
I will burst into Juices and get wet instantly if tinubu can call me "onitemi"

Sing a love song to me in yoruba at night I bet you won't be able to go to work the preceding morning.

As a typical benin girl I must confess that the yoruba language is a powerful and beautiful tool for global communication.
It's my favourite language because it opens up a world of opportunities.

It is not just a Nigerian language but communities in the Caribbean, South America, and the United States also speak it.

In fact, the Yoruba culture is rich and vibrant, with a long history and a strong tradition of art, music, and storytelling.

The Yoruba language is vibes.
It's rich.
Its rich in proverbs, folktales, and oral histories.

In fact, the Yoruba culture is a fascinating tapestry of art, religion, social norms, and language.

If any sugar daddy decide to sponsor me in school again I will study yoruba language , Its global influence underscores its richness and resilience, and studying it provides invaluable insights into African cultural diversity.

I love tinubu.
Tinubu please love me back, I want to show you something.

220 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by Turboking(m): 9:12pm On Sep 01, 2023
Una well-done oo..hope say I no late grin grin grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by seanfer(m): 9:14pm On Sep 01, 2023
Let’s wait for those that will come and tell us how they’re the developers of Maryland and they’re facing marginalization in Amelika

189 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by LegendHero(m): 9:17pm On Sep 01, 2023
seanfer:
Let’s wait for those that will come and tell us how they’re the developers of Maryland and they’re facing marginalization in Amelika

Don’t mind those one.

I remember few years ago where they delude themselves that Yoruba are more in UK and Igbo are more in USA.

If not for us that refuted that lies, they would have still continue to parrot that false statement. Now any Ibo guy is always careful to say Igbo are more in USA especially my friend Ofoigbo .

184 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by ResidentSnitch(f): 9:17pm On Sep 01, 2023
That's a good one.

10 Likes

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by Sergio101(m): 9:18pm On Sep 01, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Yoruba is the trademark language of the whole African race.
Yoruba is widely exported to other continents through our arts: music and movies.

Take a look at Asake who sings in Yoruba.

Another massively trending movie titled “Jagun Jagun” is a testament to this.

God is great!

Yoruba people brags a lot.

Tufiakwa!!

And will always be the first to say "Omaluabi doesn't show off".

Who dash you trademark language for African race??

Beat your tiny chest in peace. It's allowed!!

16 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by LegendHero(m): 9:24pm On Sep 01, 2023
Sergio101:

Yoruba people brags a lot.

Tufiakwa!!

And will always be the first to say "Omaluabi doesn't show off".

Who dash you trademark language for African race??

Beat your tiny chest in peace. It's allowed!!

Lol 😂.

I’m sure you’re trying this with frustration. When are we going to invade the Twitter feed of the governor of Maryland to vent and wail to him on this blatant marginalization of the Ibo language.

Don’t you think Maryland governor is a bigot and hate Ibo?

Where is that Gbadebo Chinedu guy, the mumu that can’t think is Yoruba should learn from far away Maryland decision.

210 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by yarimo(m): 9:53pm On Sep 01, 2023
I am Waiting patiently on top of mango tree in north Korea, for bitter and hateful people to invade this thread with insults and false narrations as usual .

154 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by Sergio101(m): 10:02pm On Sep 01, 2023
yarimo:
Waiting patiently on top of mango tree in north Korea for bitter and hateful people to invade this thread with insults and false narrations as usual

Just imagining your life outside nairaland.

Well.....I understand!

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by LegendHero(m): 10:02pm On Sep 01, 2023
Sergio101:

You must mention IGBOS to calm your nerves cheesy.

Yeah......your thread is good. It's an achievement to Nigeria and to patriotic Yorubas. But if you guys must make it about dic*k and it's measurements.......then we tell you it ain't an achievement.

Your brother up there is already using the little achievement to generalize that Yoruba is the face of African language. I laugh!! cheesy.

What they like accusing others of. Yet it's what gives thier Hydra head food.

"Omuluabi doesn't show off."

As for being the face of African language......not when IGBOS are around wink

To be honest, my brother up there is right.

In terms of reach outside the African continent, no other African language beat the Yoruba in terms of notoriety.

I am not saying Yoruba is the most spoken language in Africa based on number of people but in terms of recognition outside the African continent, I haven’t seen one that beat Yoruba.

What contribute majorly to that is that Afro beat and high number of Yoruba people in the West.

147 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by tommy589(m): 10:04pm On Sep 01, 2023
Interesting

3 Likes

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by Okwyjesus(m): 10:06pm On Sep 01, 2023
LegendHero:
Maryland's learner's permit knowledge test, and its study materials, will soon be offered in nine more languages, bringing the total for each to 17 languages.

Getting a learner's permit is the first step to getting a driver's license in the state.

The Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration said it is expanding accessibility services as part of Gov. Wes Moore's focus on equity and access.

Here are the new languages offered:

—Yoruba (West Africa)
—Tagalog
—Amharic (Afro-Asiatic language)
—Arabic
—Russian
—Urdu
—Hindi
—Farsi
—Portuguese
—American Sign Language

The new language offerings were determined with U.S. Census data.

"Improving accessibility for the driver's knowledge test and study materials is critical to serve Maryland's linguistically diverse population," said Motor Vehicle Administrator Chrissy Nizer.

The current languages offered include English, Spanish, French, Nepali, Korean, traditional Chinese and Vietnamese.

Source: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/baltimore/news/maryland-learners-permit-test-to-be-offered-in-9-new-languages/

Yoruba Amaka

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by Sergio101(m): 10:09pm On Sep 01, 2023
LegendHero:

To be honest, my brother up there is right.

In terms of reach outside the African continent, no other African language beat the Yoruba in terms of notoriety.

What contribute majorly to that is that Afro beat and high number of Yoruba people in the West.

Wow!!.

Oh my yoruAfrica.

I'm beginning to like this assumption of mother Africa being the center for localized egbami language.

Whatever makes us sleep well this night is okay

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by Okoroawusa: 10:11pm On Sep 01, 2023
Nonny95:
Make I drop block here.

Cement on the way
Hahahaha! Wetin you wan build?

3 Likes

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by BoldBrainz(m): 10:11pm On Sep 01, 2023
aQUINandmore:
Yoruba is a universal language.
I will burst into Juices and get wet instantly if tinubu can call me "onitemi"

Sing a love song to me in yoruba at night I bet you won't be able to go to work the preceding morning.

As a typical benin girl I must confess that the yoruba language is a powerful and beautiful tool for global communication.
It's my favourite language because it opens up a world of opportunities.

It is not just a Nigerian language but communities in the Caribbean, South America, and the United States also speak it.

In fact, the Yoruba culture is rich and vibrant, with a long history and a strong tradition of art, music, and storytelling.

The Yoruba language is vibes.
It's rich.
Its rich in proverbs, folktales, and oral histories.

In fact, the Yoruba culture is a fascinating tapestry of art, religion, social norms, and language.

If any sugar daddy decide to sponsor me in school again I will study yoruba language , Its global influence underscores its richness and resilience, and studying it provides invaluable insights into African cultural diversity.

I love tinubu.
Tinubu please love me back, I want to show you something.

Your weed supplier deserves a Corporate Affairs Commission certificate. The guy sabi him work!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by Nahunger(m): 10:11pm On Sep 01, 2023
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

Yoruba Amaka
This world is not my home.

17 Likes

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by Vyzz: 10:12pm On Sep 01, 2023
cool

Congratulations to my brothers from the west.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by LegendHero(m): 10:15pm On Sep 01, 2023
Sergio101:

Wow!!.

Oh my yoruAfrica.

I'm beginning to like this assumption of mother Africa being the center for localized egbami language.

Whatever makes us sleep well this night is okay

I love the image of the animal you uploaded. It reminded me of Ojuku.

That’s exactly how he kept beating his chest until 3 million of his people perished.

149 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by banku: 10:19pm On Sep 01, 2023
Kilode!

Una go kill some people with Sofia pain o!

Oya report to moderators before people get heart attack.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by MrAgbako: 10:22pm On Sep 01, 2023
Yoruba lagba 😎

108 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by jconsulting(f): 10:27pm On Sep 01, 2023
Am proud to be a Yoruba man from West Africa

81 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Maryland, USA Adds Yoruba as Language for Driver Learner’s Permit Test by flokii: 11:04pm On Sep 01, 2023
Yoruba to the world..

Yoruba language is actually global now, spoken in several countries and continents of the world.
Yoruba guys go soon turn hotcake everywhere.

82 Likes 10 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Igbo Or Ibo? / Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. / Ooni Ogunwusi Holds Thanksgiving In Church After His Coronation[photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.